PDA

View Full Version : Seriously, the league needs to give the regular officals whatever they want.....

FBomb
08-29-2012, 11:37 PM
The integrity of the games will be at stake. It was almost unwatchable.

Moke
08-29-2012, 11:39 PM
It was pretty awful. They looked like clowns. What happens when national TV is watching a big game and these refs have no idea what they're saying? Embarrassing. I see massive amounts of fines coming.

TheEnigma
08-29-2012, 11:43 PM
The NFL has more than enough of a profit margin to spare the refs some more money. Actually, isn't the league at it's peak for profit?

FBomb
08-29-2012, 11:43 PM
Coaches have shown tremendous patience, but I suspect it's getting very thin. If this continues into the regular season it's goingto be chaos!!!

Giants5699
08-29-2012, 11:46 PM
Give them what they want as long as Bill Leavy doesnt have a job.

giantsfan420
08-29-2012, 11:52 PM
yeah they really have shown no improvement. in fact, one of the games they were talking about how the head refs real job was being a lawyer...I AINT TRUSTING NO LAWYER with the outcome of anything...
i aint trusting these replacement refs with the outcome of anything.
I literally believe I could walk on a field and honestly do a better job from jump street. these refs are seriously gonna cost teams games. no way they get ready in a week either...

ashleymarie
08-30-2012, 12:00 AM

Yes. Leavy made a couple of really obvious bad calls for Green Bay against the Giants. Had it been a closer game, with Leavy on the field, the Giants could have gone down through no fault of theirs.

P_Simms_#11
08-30-2012, 12:01 AM

Or that moron Jeff Triplette.

miked1958
08-30-2012, 12:06 AM
Agree with both of you. There have been some terrible calls against us in recent years by regular refs. However these replacement refs have risen ineptitude to a whole new level

G.I. Ants
08-30-2012, 12:16 AM
I hope this insanity will be resolved before kickoff next week. I don't think I can take another 5 minute punt attempt again

giantyankee1976
08-30-2012, 12:42 AM
The integrity of the games will be at stake. It was almost unwatchable.
you gotta admit when TC was ripping their asses...that was funny.

but yeah give the Zebras what they want, these guys/gal are brutal !

nygfan90
08-30-2012, 12:48 AM
I really wanna see Ed Hercules this year. Dude cracks me up!

GreenZone
08-30-2012, 12:56 AM
Boy, I couldn't disagree more. Aside from the one major fumble on two or three calls against the Giants on the one play, they did a respectable job out there tonight.

Obviously, it give people a badge of self-implemented "football knowledge" to trash anyone and anything (it also makes one feel superior to those around them), but there were a ton more mistakes by both teams' players and coaches than anything to worry about the job by the officials.

Bill Belicheat not tossing the red flag in time was a major blunder in and of itself that surpassed anything of any official's mistakes.

I'd take that job tonight over the getting jobbed twice vs. Green Bay last year. At least there's not a suspicion of lack of objectivity going on out there right now.

juice33s
08-30-2012, 12:57 AM
The regular refs aren't much better. Bottom line is they don't make that much money leaving their calls open to being "Swayed" from time to time....

Eitherway though, Football isn't rocket science and in time these refs can be just as good, if not better then the regulars.

BlueSanta
08-30-2012, 01:23 AM
The NFL has more than enough of a profit margin to spare the refs some more money. Actually, isn't the league at it's peak for profit?

Where did you get that idea?

TheEnigma
08-30-2012, 01:27 AM

Word of mouth. I don't know 100% if that is the case or not so that's why I asked.

titwio
08-30-2012, 01:30 AM
Can't wait to see the lashing they receive once the season starts and they blow a call costing a team a win.

If that happens against the Giants I'll riot...fire, blow torches, the whole works!

BlueSanta
08-30-2012, 04:42 AM
Word of mouth. I don't know 100% if that is the case or not so that's why I asked.

The entire problem the league was facing going into the CBA negotiations with the players last year was that most of their profits were shrinking despite the growing revenues. Expenses have been spiraling upward taking a huge chunk of the revenues, leaving little for profits(little is a relative term. I would kill for that little)

There are exceptions as some teams have had good profits, but on average most teams in the league have had shrinking profits in recent years, not growing. Much of that was due to the economy, but most of it was do to spiraling expenses.

We all hope the new CBA makes the league a healthier 1 for both sides.

GMan-67
08-30-2012, 05:52 AM
do you think the league would fire them all? ... can't say my heart would be broken ... i want full time refs and many would eventually apply for the jobs ... but i agree that it would be a messy season ... they have an official talking to them and, of course, replay, but still ... it's more than just delays and bad fan communication ... it's bad calls ... could be season ending bad calls

BlueSanta
08-30-2012, 06:08 AM
do you think the league would fire them all? ... can't say my heart would be broken ... i want full time refs and many would eventually apply for the jobs ... but i agree that it would be a messy season ... they have an official talking to them and, of course, replay, but still ... it's more than just delays and bad fan communication ... it's bad calls ... could be season ending bad calls

While I certainly agree that this preseason has been an absolute mess as far as calls have been, I do think the refs have steadily improved and will continue to do so. People seem to forget the old refs were pretty off at times too, they just looked less confused doing it.

However, as time passes and the subs improve with each week the strength of the argument for the locked out refs weakens. They will not want this to go on much longer. I do think a compromise will be met fairly soon, especially if week 1 goes by without any major hitches.

1 thing the refs have tried to do, and they might need to do a little better is take their time. I believe the reason TC was so mad tonight was because the Pats had performed an illegal substitution. The Infraction happened prior to the timeout and therefor he wanted it enforced but the refs were late throwing the flag and therefor said the timeout had been called prior to the flag. I do think the penalty should have stood, but I do not know how that is officially enforced.

GiantX
08-30-2012, 06:15 AM
awful officiating. just awful.

jomo
08-30-2012, 08:29 AM
That would be a mistake. They weren't very good to start, don't forget. Clearly the replacements are pitiful but getting leveraged into a decision never leads anywhere good. It is going to be a rocky go with these guys but rolling over to a bunch of marginally competant, often senile old fools is not a strong direction either.

Gimaniac
08-30-2012, 08:38 AM
Can't wait to see the lashing they receive once the season starts and they blow a call costing a team a win.

If that happens against the Giants I'll riot...fire, blow torches, the whole works!

It happened with the "real" officials, they just don't take as long to make the wrong call.

BlueSanta
08-30-2012, 09:02 AM
It happened with the "real" officials, they just don't take as long to make the wrong call.

exactly! How quickly people forget our "incomplete out of bound" non TD reception by Ballard vs Green bay. The post game picture clearly showing Ballard coming down in bounds was pretty convincing to me.

FBomb
08-30-2012, 11:16 AM
To me it's more about the flow of the game rather than the bad calls. Bad calls happen, but these guys take it to a whole new level by compounding the problem with delaying the game. Also, they diminish the game by looking like the 3 Stooges. It just doesn't look professional.

njersey
08-30-2012, 11:36 AM

The main issue is their pension. The Refs want to keep their pension, even though they do not contribute. This is the sort of thing that kills Companies in the long run. GM is the perfect example.

titwio
08-30-2012, 06:17 PM

The calls we've seen with these officials out weigh the bad calls of the "real" officials. Judging from what I've seen so far it's complete incompetence. The ball downed at the 5 yard line on a punt they call a touchback??...stuff like that is inexcusable. Real officials have made questionable calls of course but not because they didn't know the rules of game.

These officials don't even know what a 10 second run-off is.

jomo
08-30-2012, 06:22 PM
I just hate rolling over to incompetant fools even if they are marginally better than the replacement fools.

The old officials are pulling down nealy $10,000 per game for 20 games worked. They fly first class to and from the games and stay in Ritz Carlton quality hotels. They also get covered for meals and travel expenses AND they want us to feel sorry for them and support them in their holdout. We need to scream loudly at them and tell them to get back and be grateful for having a second job that pays more than 4 of us make in our 1st job.

ShakeandBake
08-30-2012, 06:34 PM
I just hate rolling over to incompetant fools even if they are marginally better than the replacement fools.

The old officials are pulling down nealy $10,000 per game for 20 games worked. They fly first class to and from the games and stay in Ritz Carlton quality hotels. They also get covered for meals and travel expenses AND they want us to feel sorry for them and support them in their holdout. We need to scream loudly at them and tell them to get back and be grateful for having a second job that pays more than 4 of us make in our 1st job.

I agree, its like choosing between a turd and a polished turd

Buddy333
08-30-2012, 06:38 PM
If they struggled during the pre season how are they going to do in a real game that will be played at a much faster pace?

titwio
08-30-2012, 06:40 PM
I agree, its like choosing between a turd and a polished turd

Polished turd > turd

RoanokeFan
08-30-2012, 08:26 PM
I actually ferlt bad for last night's refeee when he couldn't frame the words to explain the same team had two penalties

jomo
08-30-2012, 10:24 PM
I actually ferlt bad for last night's refeee when he couldn't frame the words to explain the same team had two penaltiesIt was pitiful but doesn't make the regular ref's argument anymore valid. They are overpaid for their skills and should be thanking us all for giving them an otherworldly second job rather than holding us all hostage for more money.

I can withstand the pain of watching these terrible replacements more than the pain of rolling over to a bunch of greedy marginal perfomers.

The pool of money paid to the players and owners is appropriate. The players put their physical health on the line every week for us. The owners get a return for the capital they put into the game to entertain us. These pathetic regular refs are trying to make themselves a part of this wonderful sport and thereby cut themselves into a bigger cut of the action. That logic is all wrong. They are employees with skills that are ordinary and could be found elsewhere. They should be paid accordingly, which is to say less than half of what they already receive. The savings should be plowed into retirment accounts of players who have fallen on hard times. That is much better use of the $$ generated by this sport.

I guess I'm fired up lol.