PDA

View Full Version : Mitch Petrus & David Douglas

Overdrive92
08-29-2012, 11:15 PM
A couple comments, and questions. First:

David Douglas: Does he make the team? I'd like him to, but I honestly don't know if he will.

Mitch Petrus: Good lord, did this guy look awful all preseason. He had to be the biggest disappointment this preseason. He looked good as a fill-in for injuries last season, I don't know where he went wrong. We'll probably keep him because he's shown flashes before, but he just looked bad all preseason, and today was his most miserable performance yet.

titwio
08-29-2012, 11:23 PM
I'm seriously disappointed with Petrus. Thought the Giants had some nice depth with him and he could eventually become a starter but...he looks lost out there.

What a difference from one year to the next...maybe he has an injury he's not telling anyone about?

G.I. Ants
08-29-2012, 11:24 PM
Mitch Petrus looked terrible today as well as most of the other o-line. Coach Flaherty has his work cut out for him this season.

Douglass, I don't know. I love how Hixon contributed in the past and hopes he makes a brilliant comeback. I also like the fact that Barden is healthy & hungry. I am thrilled that JJ12 is more confident & comfortable with the offense. If I was to let go 1 of these 4 men, it would have to be Douglass in hopes that we could lock him up on the PS.

lawrenceS59
08-29-2012, 11:25 PM
My guess is Douglas goes to the practice squad and Petrus gets cut. They have to figure out a way to get a legit lineman here. Time to make room.

titwio
08-29-2012, 11:28 PM
My guess is Douglas goes to the practice squad and Petrus gets cut. They have to figure out a way to get a legit lineman here. Time to make room.

Petrus won't get cut. Even though he's struggled this preseason he's already proven himself last year during the season. They'll keep him around.

G.I. Ants
08-29-2012, 11:31 PM
My guess is Douglas goes to the practice squad and Petrus gets cut. They have to figure out a way to get a legit lineman here. Time to make room.I doubt Petrus gets cut. He knows the offense and he played well when given the opportunity last year, he just needs to step up his game. He is not starting so it is no big deal and cutting him doesn't help either for there aren't too many players on the roster now that is better.

lawrenceS59
08-29-2012, 11:33 PM
I doubt Petrus gets cut. He knows the offense and he played well when given the opportunity last year, he just needs to step up his game. He is not starting so it is no big deal and cutting him doesn't help either for there aren't too many players on the roster now that is better.

It doesn't matter if he knows the system or not if he's not blocking. You're probably right about him sticking around. I just hope he gets cut. There is no way the Giants can be happy to have guys that can't run block on the roster. They have to do something.

Cool Papa B.
08-29-2012, 11:36 PM
I doubt Petrus gets cut. He knows the offense and he played well when given the opportunity last year, he just needs to step up his game. He is not starting so it is no big deal and cutting him doesn't help either for there aren't too many players on the roster now that is better.

This...

And the fact that it wouldn't be a good idea to have no backups for Snee at RG.

born blue
08-29-2012, 11:46 PM
IMO, the OP highlights our "rags" and "riches." Douglass is a solid contributor who has performed well enough to make the team, but there are too many bodies ahead of him. We have at least six solid possible receivers, but in part due to injury at other positions, we can't keep everyone who has NFL talent. His limited action tonight may have been a product of hoping we can stash him on the PS.
And then there is our "rags." Our OLine is the weakness of this team. Mitch was capable last year, and that is all it takes to make our squad as an OLineman at this point...its not the best 53 football players, it's the 53 football players that can fill each need.

BlueSanta
08-30-2012, 12:16 AM
I do not know why people are so shocked, Petrus has always looked terrible in pass protection. He thrives in runblocking only. It is disapointing that he hasnt progressed but this has always been the knock on him.

oldsmobile
08-30-2012, 01:38 AM
I was really HIGH on Petrus last year . I think his head has gottin a little big , because he thinks he is a "shoe-in" as back-up guard . He looks l;ost on running plays and made that dt for Patriots look like "MEAN JOE GREEN" !!!!!!!!!!!! Besides that sack he gave up in first quarter - He falls on Mannings legs , which could have resulted in a injury .

rainierjef
08-30-2012, 02:58 AM
petrus is better suited at LG not RG

GMan-67
08-30-2012, 03:12 AM

yeah i think this as well ... i think Mitch bulked up as he was probably asked to do, but it's made him slow and clumsy

nycsportzfan
08-30-2012, 06:09 AM
Like i said last wk, i don't see Douglas making the team.. Hes just at a positon of 2much potential and depth with us.. I find it much more important to let him go and give another positon of more bigger need another body..

GMENAGAIN
08-30-2012, 06:47 AM
Douglas has zero chance to make the final 53.

I agree that Petrus was awful, but not as awful as most of the young guys. I think that he'll stick, but he better get his **** together.

jomo
08-30-2012, 07:22 AM

I agree that Petrus was awful, but not as awful as most of the young guys. I think that he'll stick, but he better get his **** together.It takes real work for an OL to stand out like Petrus has this pre-season. We need to go 1, 2, 3 OL in the next draft I think.

BrianK01
08-30-2012, 08:22 AM

I agree that Petrus was awful, but not as awful as most of the young guys. I think that he'll stick, but he better get his **** together.
Zero? I think he has a chance. I don't think the kid would clear waivers and make it to the practice squad which would be the ideal situation....

Atomic1
08-30-2012, 08:27 AM
I'd take Douglas over Jernigan for what Douglas can do on Special teams. Douglas looks like a better returner with better, soft hands catching a kicked ball AND he can cover Kicks/ punts which is something Jernigan can't do. Remember now, we lost 2 of our best Special Team defenders Devin Thomas and Clayton who made a living on ST and actually had as much to do with the Giants winning it all as anyone !

NorwoodBlue
08-30-2012, 08:38 AM
Sucks to be the coaches the next two days. They're going to have to cut some decent football players, and then wait and see if any of them clear waivers for the practice squad.

Douglas, Barden, Jernigan- one of them has to go. My bet is Douglas, and they see if he clears waivers.

Petrus- Hard to say, I think he probably stays and they try to work on his head. He's lost something, and should be capable of getting it back

Ojomo- Late game heroics don't necessarily mean he makes the team either. He didn't get much time against solid competition.

BrianK01
08-30-2012, 09:08 AM
Sucks to be the coaches the next two days. They're going to have to cut some decent football players, and then wait and see if any of them clear waivers for the practice squad.

Douglas, Barden, Jernigan- one of them has to go. My bet is Douglas, and they see if he clears waivers.

Petrus- Hard to say, I think he probably stays and they try to work on his head. He's lost something, and should be capable of getting it back

Ojomo- Late game heroics don't necessarily mean he makes the team either. He didn't get much time against solid competition.
Come on now....the kid can lay the wood on a QB it is plain as day, the competition is solid enough to see he has more than enough talent to deserve a roster spot.

GMENAGAIN
08-30-2012, 10:14 AM
Zero? I think he has a chance. I don't think the kid would clear waivers and make it to the practice squad which would be the ideal situation....

Let me ask you this then -- Who doesn't make the team so that Douglas can stay?

BrianK01
08-30-2012, 10:20 AM
Let me ask you this then -- Who doesn't make the team so that Douglas can stay?
I can't answer that and I don't think he will make it but my point was/is he does a have a chance and I think they might try to make it happen because there is a good chance he doesn't clear waivers.

tonyt830
08-30-2012, 11:21 AM

I agree that Petrus was awful, but not as awful as most of the young guys. I think that he'll stick, but he better get his **** together.I won't say Douglas has a zero chance to make it, but we are deep at WR, so I could see him getting cut, and possibly clearing waivers and onto our PS.

As for Petrus, he has a better chance of sticking with the final 53, but trust me, I would bet Reese will be looking at the waiver wire for some solid O-line depth. And if Petrus does not improve, he will be on the unemployment line.

ozzie0075
08-30-2012, 11:45 AM
Petrus probably would be cut on any other team in the league. But the Giants have such depth issues that he play make the team and lets pray to god he doesn't need to play. I would much rather keep Cordle over Petrus.