PDA

View Full Version : We just gained a roster spot with the new IR rule that just passed??

Snappinnecks
08-30-2012, 02:39 PM
States that one player per team can go on the IR and then return later in the season! Correct me if I'm wrong but that would mean we can free up a roster spot by putting Terrell Thomas on IR and then call him back if he's healthy??

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/30/nflpa-agrees-to-later-trade-deadline-injured-reserve-exception/

repeatchamps
08-30-2012, 02:45 PM
States that one player per team can go on the IR and then return later in the season! Correct me if I'm wrong but that would mean we can free up a roster spot by putting Terrell Thomas on IR and then call him back if he's healthy??

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/30/nflpa-agrees-to-later-trade-deadline-injured-reserve-exception/

I think we have a thread out there already that was moved to General Sports where it was mentioned that the player must be on the 53 man roster BEFORE the new IR system is used for that specific player.

ozzie0075
08-30-2012, 02:52 PM
Just a couple clarifications:

Andrew Brandt ‏@adbrandt
From the NFL regarding new IR rule: teams can return one player placed on IR to their 53-player active list by tomorrow. Seems fair.

Ralph Vacchiano ‏@RVacchianoNYDN
So the Giants, for example, could re-activate DE Justin Trattou to the 53-man roster tomorrow. Then place him on short-term IR Tuesday

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo
Ok so looks like the new IR rules mandate the player who will be activated MUST be designated at the time he's put on IR. #nyg

Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo
So in other words, the Giants can't IR, say, Thomas, Austin and Rogers and then say, "We'll see who gets healthy." #nyg

Ralph Vacchiano ‏@RVacchianoNYDN
The short-term IR only applies to players with a "major injury" that is expected to keep them sidelined at least six weeks. #NYG

Kevin Seifert ‏@espn_nfcnblog
Curveball in new IR rule: For '12 only, players already on IR before 9/4 ARE eligible for activation. Must be designated by Friday.

GMan-67
08-30-2012, 04:30 PM

yes, this is good news !!

G4L
08-30-2012, 10:42 PM
So who's it gonna be? My moneys gonna be on TT. His ability to return this season seems to be the most in doubt and is at least a long way off. Marvin Austin would be my second guess. We haven't gotten much info on his back injury, so its hard to say. Its possible they send both these guys to the season ending IR and use the short term IR on a guy like Shaun Rogers. The big downside is that we have cut down to 53, THEN choose someone to put on the short term IR - opening up a roster spot. So whoever we want to take that roster spot back will have to me made vulnerable to being snatched up by another team. Wouldn't surprise me to see the Pats try to screw us again there.

Bigbluefan77
08-30-2012, 11:15 PM
I would say marvin austin
acls are very tricky to deal with

ShakeandBake
08-30-2012, 11:32 PM
They need to just expand the rosters already. Injuries are becoming a serious problem now especially with all of the new rules regarding concussions.

miked1958
08-31-2012, 02:12 AM
So according to the rules Canty wouldn't qualify then?

miked1958
08-31-2012, 02:15 AM
So according to the rules Canty wouldn't qualify then?Never mind, just saw we had placed him on PUP last week

GMan-67
08-31-2012, 04:56 AM
Never mind, just saw we had placed him on PUP last week

Canty can come off PUP between week 6 and week 9

be nice to get a healthy Canty and a healthy TT midseason ... could be real nice additions