PDA

View Full Version : We've been beating around the bushes on this one..........

jomo
08-30-2012, 04:55 PM
.............let's try to nail this down.

I say that Nicks and Cruz are the best WR tandem the New York Giants have ever had. (I would even say by a wide margin)

Agree or disagree and if you disagree, name your best pair.

nhpgiantsfan
08-30-2012, 04:56 PM
Yes, by far, at least for as long as I've been watching since the early 80s.

derekunion28
08-30-2012, 04:57 PM
i wana see them do it together another season...to diminish cruz 1 hit wonder judgers.....

Rat_bastich
08-30-2012, 05:06 PM
Since I have been watching the Giants I would have to agree. I don't think the Giants have ever had a receiving threat equal to even one of these guys. The Giants have never been a finesse team and have been a smashmouth team as long as I can remember.

fansince69
08-30-2012, 05:08 PM
by far since the 70s...the only one Ive seen that might even be close....and by close I mean closer than the rest,,,,is Plax and Toomer and Toomer was getting older by that point

jomo
08-30-2012, 05:09 PM
Since I have been watching the Giants I would have to agree. I don't think the Giants have ever had a receiving threat equal to even one of these guys. The Giants have never been a finesse team and have been a smashmouth team as long as I can remember.That's another good way to look at it. These guys may very well be #1 and #2 all time for the Giants. It will take a couple more years to get me ALL IN on that but I expect it to pan out that way.

Moke
08-30-2012, 05:38 PM
Big, huge battle between Cruz/Nicks and Roddy white/Julio jones

WR4Life
08-30-2012, 05:43 PM

I have a feeling that Julio Jones is going to be disturbingly good this year.

RoanokeFan
08-30-2012, 05:44 PM

I say that Nicks and Cruz are the best WR tandem the New York Giants have ever had. (I would even say by a wide margin)

I agree, at least in my lifetime. Don't forget, RUN RUN was the mantra for a L O N G time

TheEnigma
08-30-2012, 05:46 PM
You never really know if this is the last year that these two play on the same team. Appreciate it while you can.

Moke
08-30-2012, 05:48 PM
I have a feeling that Julio Jones is going to be disturbingly good this year.

That's why I think there is a huge battle for that #1 duo. I feel lke Jones/White can be easily be the top tandem in the game.

Giantsfan241
08-30-2012, 05:55 PM
I think Burress was a one of a kind player but Nicks is the best ever.

fansince69
08-30-2012, 05:57 PM

Wasn't the original question ...best pair to play for the Giants?

Moke
08-30-2012, 05:58 PM

Wow.... totally skimmed that **** to death. Good looks.

fansince69
08-30-2012, 05:59 PM
I think Burress was a one of a kind player but Nicks is the best ever.

Burress also at times had attitude and motivation problems.....something I have never seen from NIcks

Giantsfan241
08-30-2012, 06:01 PM
Burress also at times had attitude and motivation problems.....something I have never seen from NIcks
Maybe so but Eli would just throw it up to Burress and he'd come down with it he was a great player no doubt. Like I said I think Nicks is the best ever but Burress (in his prime)+ Nicks would be a lot more dangerous. Cruz is an amazing slot WR and great route runner etc, but Burress was a special athlete.

fansince69
08-30-2012, 06:07 PM
Maybe so but Eli would just throw it up to Burress and he'd come down with it he was a great player no doubt. Like I said I think Nicks is the best ever but Burress (in his prime)+ Nicks would be a lot more dangerous. Cruz is an amazing slot WR and great route runner etc, but Burress was a special athlete.

He may have been a special athlete but ill take Nicks or Cruz over his lazy *** any day....sorry saw too many times a ball thrown over his head and intercepted and he just stood there glaring at Eli while the cb ran past him....used to piss me right off

Giantsfan241
08-30-2012, 06:10 PM
Cruz also was like WTF yesterday at Eli lol. Maybe it comes with the territory.

fansince69
08-30-2012, 06:12 PM
you are missing the point....it wasn't the WTF...it was the fact he would do it while the play was going on....Cruz did it after the play........huge difference.....he did it repeatedly for first couple years Eli was here

RoanokeFan
08-30-2012, 06:14 PM

I think we'd need to know the sign language they use before making assumptions.

Giantsfan241
08-30-2012, 06:20 PM
Eli said why didn't you cut back and Cruz said BECAUSE I WAS WIDE OPEN I know these things, and Gilbride said Eli do you know where my granddaughter is and he pointed to the way she was.

jomo
08-30-2012, 06:29 PM
Wasn't the original question ...best pair to play for the Giants?Yes, but you know how it goes here. :D

jomo
08-30-2012, 06:30 PM
I agree, at least in my lifetime. Don't forget, RUN RUN was the mantra for a L O N G timeThanks for that, now we need YA to weigh in.

fansince69
08-30-2012, 06:31 PM
Yes, but you know how it goes here. :D

Personally I think the best pair on the Giants belongs to Kate Mara

B.JACOBS27
08-30-2012, 06:52 PM
I know this isn't a 'pair', but I've always thought the combination of Toomer, Hilliard, and Jurevicius was pretty good.

fansince69
08-30-2012, 06:53 PM
I know this isn't a 'pair', but I've always thought the combination of Toomer, Hilliard, and Jurevicius was pretty good.

they were solid but not spectacular

miked1958
08-30-2012, 06:56 PM
.............let's try to nail this down.I say that Nicks and Cruz are the best WR tandem the New York Giants have ever had. (I would even say by a wide margin)Agree or disagree and if you disagree, name your best pair.Agree totally. Hey by the way Jomo. I am rooting for Ojomo to make team.... Related.... Lol

Giants5699
08-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Only one that comes close is Toomer/Relaxico
or
Toomer/Shockey

jomo
08-30-2012, 07:14 PM
Agree totally. Hey by the way Jomo. I am rooting for Ojomo to make team.... Related.... LolRoanoke calls him my Irish relative lol. I'm rooting for the young man myself. I'm actually rooting for all of them. If they don't have the right stuff for this team, Coughlin would have released them. All of these kids are working their butts off and playing their hearts out to be Giants. What's not to love about that?

BParcells777
08-30-2012, 07:32 PM
Jomo do you realize with that name you could play DE for the Giants LOL

jomo
08-30-2012, 08:43 PM
Jomo do you realize with that name you could play DE for the Giants LOLWho knew 5 years ago when I chose this name/avatar? I'd love to say that I have incredible foresight.....................lol.

fansince69
08-30-2012, 08:44 PM
Who knew 5 years ago when I chose this name/avatar? I'd love to say that I have incredible foresight.....................lol.

obviously we need to respect your predictions

BParcells777
08-30-2012, 08:52 PM
for 1 year yes, but Del Shofner and Kyle Rote did it for many many years...........lets see if these 2 can keep it up and stay healthy

jomo
08-30-2012, 08:55 PM
for 1 year yes, but Del Shofner and Kyle Rote did it for many many years...........lets see if these 2 can keep it up and stay healthyI was so young but I remember something special. So we need one or two more years from these 2 young guns BP777?

Laurah1275
08-30-2012, 09:21 PM
http://shirtoid.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/10-people-agree.jpg

Giantsfan241
08-30-2012, 10:32 PM
Laurah get the oreos out of your display picture and stop posting.

Eliscruzzz
08-30-2012, 10:40 PM
I agree Cruz and Nicks feed off each other and they both are cable of big plays they both are fast and elusive, it's going to be very hard for opposing defenses to stop. The only other pair of WR that come close are Jennings and Nelson.

Rat_bastich
08-30-2012, 10:44 PM
PLaxico's problem was that Shockey was there. I think he figured if Shockey could do something so could he. Remember they got into the whole bromance thing where they went to Florida to train and all that.

jomo
08-30-2012, 11:25 PM
Laurah get the oreos out of your display picture and stop posting.Everyone is welcomed here.

Laurah1275
08-30-2012, 11:38 PM
Everyone is welcomed here.Thank you jomo ;)

mainefan
08-31-2012, 01:45 AM
Best duo I have seen by far. Fan for 60 years.

Giantsfan241
08-31-2012, 02:09 AM
She said Romo was our QB that's all I'm gonna say on the matter of Laurah and also she needs to stop eating the oreos and read the back of jerseys much love go gmen.

giantsfan420
08-31-2012, 02:44 AM
i think nicks/cruz could be one of the best tandems all time, not just for the giants, but for the entire league

BurnerNYG
08-31-2012, 02:53 AM
Yeah I thInk they're the best tandem The GIants ever had, no questIon. They have to stay together a lil while longer before we can say the best of all time though. I mean Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt, Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne, Jerry Rice and whoever etc, etc will beg to differ.

GMan-67
08-31-2012, 03:23 AM
yeah, no contest .... Toomer and Hilliard were a nice duo and then Plax and Toomer, but compared to Nicks and Cruz ... the speed, the YAC

giantyankee1976
08-31-2012, 06:16 AM
i wanna see them do it together another season...to diminish cruz 1 hit wonder judgers.....

i have to agree with this statement. I fully expect Victor to draw a lot of double-teams with respect to Safety + Corner coverage. This is where Nicks and Hixon(?)/ Barden (?) etc will benefit.

That said I think JR has shown us that besides DE's he has a knack for selecting WRs as well. We have a deep WR pool and that's kind of cool.

If JR has a smudge though it would the be OLine; be it drafting or FA :(, IMO

we really NEED vicious maulers in front of Eli. It only takes one time for Eli to get smashed and then what? Carr?

SweetZombieJesus
08-31-2012, 06:24 AM
Agreed and by a wide margin.

Amani and Plax? Amani and Ike?

SweetZombieJesus
08-31-2012, 06:26 AM

As soon as I think about Plax taking balls away from defenders in the Eagles end zone I think of Cruz doing the same thing. Cruz is special too.

Rat_bastich
08-31-2012, 06:30 AM
As soon as I think about Plax taking balls away from defenders in the Eagles end zone I think of Cruz doing the same thing. Cruz is special too.

Cruz is more of a Jerry Rice type player. When he catches the ball he immediately turns up the field and gains yardage. He seems more dynamic than Plax ever was and more athletic...and grounded.

bigjeep
08-31-2012, 07:34 AM

Completely agree. Its never been better, even for Y.A.!

jomo
08-31-2012, 08:22 AM
Agreed and by a wide margin.

Amani and Plax? Amani and Ike?If those are two of the other contenders for best tandem, then the margin is wide.

fansince69
08-31-2012, 08:28 AM
If those are two of the other contenders for best tandem, then the margin is wide.

I agree with your statement ...but if Plax had played with Toomer when Toomer was in his prime....the margin would have been closer.....still Nicks and Cruz appear to be on their way to being a great tandem....provided they both stay healthy and in a Giants uniform

jomo
08-31-2012, 08:30 AM
I agree with your statement ...but if Plax had played with Toomer when Toomer was in his prime....the margin would have been closer.....still Nicks and Cruz appear to be on their way to being a great tandem....provided they both stay healthy and in a Giants uniformIt definitely would have been closer but Amani, even at his best lacked the dynamic, explosive elements that HN and VC bring us.

Sanntee31
08-31-2012, 08:30 AM

1) Nicks/Cruz
2) Plex/Toomer
3) Toomer/Hilliard
4) Baker/Ingram
5) Robinson/Manuel (Only thing was we ran a lot more & a lot of passes went to Bavaro as well)

fansince69
08-31-2012, 08:33 AM
It definitely would have been closer but Amani, even at his best lacked the dynamic, explosive elements that HN and VC bring us.

I agree but both were high catch ..1000 yard /yr receivers at one point in career.....just saying them both together in prime makes this at least a discussion ...lol...as it stands there is no discussion

joedonlooney
08-31-2012, 08:46 AM
Del Shofner and Frank Gifford, until now were easily the best duo in Giants history. In 1962 the Giants were second in scoring in the NFL with 398 points(14 game season). YA Tittle threw 35 TD passes, an NFL record. The Giants had 11 rushing touchdowns. The Packers led the NFL in scoring with 414 points. Bart Starr, who would be derided by today's fans with the term-game manager threw 14 TD passes. The Packers rushed for 36 TDs.
The following year,the Giants led the league with 448 points (32 ppg) and Tittle broke his own record with 36 TD passes.
Shofner and Gifford were great-both pro bowlers.
Tittle's TD pass record lasted until Marino threw 48 in 1984 (16 game season)
The Giants did not have a pro bowl receiver between 1968, Homer Jones and 2009, Steve Smith.
Plaxico Burress, in my opinion, is wildly over rated. Capable of big plays, could not be depended on.

GameTime
08-31-2012, 08:48 AM

didnt even think that this was debateable.....

ryan12
08-31-2012, 08:54 AM
i wana see them do it together another season...to diminish cruz 1 hit wonder judgers.....

this +++++++++1

jomo
08-31-2012, 10:36 AM
Del Shofner and Frank Gifford, until now were easily the best duo in Giants history. In 1962 the Giants were second in scoring in the NFL with 398 points(14 game season). YA Tittle threw 35 TD passes, an NFL record. The Giants had 11 rushing touchdowns. The Packers led the NFL in scoring with 414 points. Bart Starr, who would be derided by today's fans with the term-game manager threw 14 TD passes. The Packers rushed for 36 TDs.
The following year,the Giants led the league with 448 points (32 ppg) and Tittle broke his own record with 36 TD passes.
The Giants did not have a pro bowl receiver between 1968, Homer Jones and 2009, Steve Smith.
Plaxico Burress, in my opinion, is wildly over rated. Capable of big plays, could not be depended on.You need to come here more often joedonlooney! Wow, we went 41 years between pro bowl receivers. It celtainly felt like all of that lol.

njg85m
08-31-2012, 10:40 AM
Closest we've had to Cruz/Nicks was Plax/Toomer. And by then Toomer was limited in what he could do due to his age.

RagTime Blue
08-31-2012, 10:43 AM

Hahaaa, missed that too.

And no, Toomer was good, but not great. Was never Pro-Bowl (for what it's worth), and by the time he hit his stride, he was past physical prime.

BParcells777
08-31-2012, 10:47 AM
Plaxico Burress, in my opinion, is wildly over rated. Capable of big plays, could not be depended on.

Frank Gifford was a Halfback............Kyle Rote was the other compliment to Shofner.........Alex Webster was the FB but was also a great reciever in the flat

Astorian
08-31-2012, 09:46 PM
Joedonlooney is correct. Shofner and Gifford. Remember, after Bednarik ended Giff's career as a running back, he switched to slot receiver, and was spectacular at that position.

Shofner and Gifford were remarkable for another reason. Both of them, in their early days, played both ways. As did Bednarik.

appodictic
08-31-2012, 09:47 PM
Hahaaa, missed that too.

And no, Toomer was good, but not great. Was never Pro-Bowl (for what it's worth), and by the time he hit his stride, he was past physical prime.

That is not true at all. Toomer had a 3TD game. That does not happen by accident.

BParcells777
08-31-2012, 10:05 PM
Joedonlooney is correct. Shofner and Gifford. Remember, after Bednarik ended Giff's career as a running back, he switched to slot receiver, and was spectacular at that position.

Shofner and Gifford were remarkable for another reason. Both of them, in their early days, played both ways. As did Bednarik.

Kyle Rote's Stats- http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RoteKy00.htm

Frank Gifford's- http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GiffFr00.htm

Its not even close.......but did not realize Frank played so many positions. Bednarick nearly killed him...I think they gave him last rites

Astorian
08-31-2012, 11:26 PM
I haven't looked up the stats, BP777, but I assume that you're claiming that Rote's receiving numbers were better than Gifford's. I wouldn't be surprised. Rote was a great running back (HB in those days) until his knee injuries forced him to move to the slot, where his deceptiveness made him almost impossible to cover, even though his injuries had robbed him of most of his former great speed. He played that position longer than Gifford, and during his tenure the Giants had no other serious deep threat (Ken McAfee had excellent speed, but never seemed to worry defenses). He was the main man, on the few occasions when the Gmen bothered to pass (caught a lot of HB option passes from Gifford in those days). If memory serves, Gifford played the slot for, maybe, three years, then retired.

When Gifford took over the slot (Rote had retired, or was about to) Shofner was already the established deep threat. He distorted defenses, and was Tittle's primary target. Naturally that meant that Gifford didn't catch as many balls as Rote had.

BTW, Gifford also ran back KOs on occasion (in his early days). He had great hands, rarely dropped a pass, and was almost as reliable with one hand as with two. I was not aware that he received last rites after the Bednarik hit. I didn't see it. In those days all home games were blacked out on TV, and it was not mentioned on the radio.

JJC7301
09-01-2012, 12:40 AM
Yes, by far, at least for as long as I've been watching since the early 80s.
Same here and I've been watching since circa '81. Plax and Toomer were very good, but Nicks and Cruz are one level above.

By the time their careers are over, they're going to be thought of as one of the very best WR tandems in the history of the game.

BillTheGreek
09-01-2012, 01:16 AM
Very Good choice ! How ever, Before I vote. I would like to see What Cruz & Nicks do down the road , Say in about November.