PDA

View Full Version : Has Marv Austin earned a spot

Bones911
08-30-2012, 10:21 PM
Tomorrow will be really difficult for the coaches. Too many hard decisions.

One guy I have on the bubble but I don't really want to give up on is MARV AUSTIN. I know he is a second rounder but has he really earned a spot on this roster. He's played minimally in preseason games for 2 years. He also barely practices and hasn't been on the football field in nearly 3 years. He is also ALWAYS HURT. I know he has skills and ability but guys like Hendricks, Thomas, and Kuhn have all played, have all practiced every single day and all have contributed and most of all MADE PLAYS. Green or NOT they all deserve a spot.

So my question is does Austin take up a spot that the others have EARNED?

gmen0820
08-30-2012, 10:24 PM
No, but he's worth the shot.

Marvelousmik
08-30-2012, 10:30 PM
One thing i noticed about the giants is that you dont have to earn a spot in order to be on the team. You just have to be a position of need or a draft pick

giantsfan420
08-30-2012, 10:30 PM
TC has been talking about him like he's already made the team. roster cuts r tmrw iirc, TC was talking about when we could get him back to practice and if we'll have him for dallas...he aint getting cut. if they had to IR him, which they dont as they've just held him out to be precautionary and make sure this situation doesnt come up again, then next season he'd prob be cut. but for now he makes the team, and i hope he can contribute and live up to his potential.

which he has a ton of. i havent heard warren sapp say what he said about austin about anyone else. it was something like "Austin reminds me so much of me. He is gonna be special." Im waiting on that...

jomo
08-30-2012, 10:32 PM
I don't think he has "earned it" but he may nail one down based on need and potential. He hasn't played enough to have earned it.

Rat_bastich
08-30-2012, 10:54 PM
Potential is keeping him on the roster at the moment. The Giants believe that he can come back from his injury and still be able to contribute sometime soon I imagine.

Buddy333
08-30-2012, 11:39 PM
Obviously he hasn't earned it. I mean he has only played like 2 or 3 pre season games since being drafted last year and he isn't even practicing now. However, if he can start feeling good and he can shake the rust he has a ton of potential. Hopefully it happens. Has anyone heard anything about him? They said he had a set back a few days ago but I don't know exactly what that meant. Has he gotten any better? Is he doing any drills?

TheEnigma
08-30-2012, 11:58 PM
I imagine next year is when his job will be in real danger. Outside of Joseph and Canty, no one else has really flashed the ability to be a good and consistent starter on the pinch. Bernard is the closest to that but he's getting up there and has his bad games.

giantsfan420
08-31-2012, 12:46 AM
Obviously he hasn't earned it. I mean he has only played like 2 or 3 pre season games since being drafted last year and he isn't even practicing now. However, if he can start feeling good and he can shake the rust he has a ton of potential. Hopefully it happens. Has anyone heard anything about him? They said he had a set back a few days ago but I don't know exactly what that meant. Has he gotten any better? Is he doing any drills?
no setback really. they are holding him as a precaution. Austin feels ready to go and TC said he should be able to practice real soon. They were just concerned bc like Beatty, who also started practicing, he had a back issue that could have become an issue had he not rested it sufficiently. they wanted both beatty and austin to rest it as much as possible in hopes they wont have to deal with this issue again.
beatty may play week 1, he'll practice this week. and hopefully the same is true for austin. he had an issue where his back muscles locked up, apparently it was a strain from working out too hard too early or something, same as beatty. go figure