PDA

View Full Version : Long Snapper

G4L
08-31-2012, 05:19 AM
With the impending roster cut down, it really eats me up that we give a spot to DeOssie soley as a longsnapper. Too bad none of these young linebackers didn't devote their offseason to developing that skill set. It would be nice to be able to keep a bubble guy like Jones as a backup linebacker and long snapper. Does any one know if any players other than DeOssie did any longsnapping this camp/preseason?

Rat_bastich
08-31-2012, 05:25 AM
DeOssie, like his father is a very solid longsnapper and after the Trey Junkin incident cannot be overlooked. I would think that possibly one of our centers may be proficient at longsnapping but probably not as good as Zak.

RoanokeFan
08-31-2012, 07:27 AM
With the impending roster cut down, it really eats me up that we give a spot to DeOssie soley as a longsnapper. Too bad none of these young linebackers didn't devote their offseason to developing that skill set. It would be nice to be able to keep a bubble guy like Jones as a backup linebacker and long snapper. Does any one know if any players other than DeOssie did any longsnapping this camp/preseason?

It's not a skill set many can master and he's also very effective in pursuit after the snap.

NYGfanNC
08-31-2012, 07:38 AM

as RF somewhat stated, he can get down the field and cover the punts along with being able to snap it.

fansince69
08-31-2012, 07:51 AM
These guys have a very specific skill set.....as someone noted earlier ...he is worth his weight in gold just not to have a repeat of the Trey Junkin debacle.......As far as i am concerned he should have a roster spot until the day someone proves he's better at both the snap and covering after the punt

Flip Empty
08-31-2012, 07:58 AM
Two bad snaps and the Giants don't make it to either XLII or XLVI. The importance of a good long snapper cannot be overlooked.

nhpgiantsfan
08-31-2012, 08:09 AM
He does always seem to be down the field involved in the tackle on punts.

Toadofsteel
08-31-2012, 08:10 AM
Zak DeOssie is probably the safest guy on the roster... the less you think about him, the better he's doing.

GameTime
08-31-2012, 09:53 AM
oh stop....its called a special teams player. Just like a kicker or punter. Singular task and he does it very well. When was the last time that was an issue for the Gmen???

ryan12
08-31-2012, 09:58 AM
i understand what you mean cuz we will be cutting some good player's however i still have nighmares of trey freaking junkin so like someone else said he is as safe as eli

Redeyejedi
08-31-2012, 10:00 AM
DeOssie, like his father is a very solid longsnapper and after the Trey Junkin incident cannot be overlooked. I would think that possibly one of our centers may be proficient at longsnapping but probably not as good as Zack.Yes but a center cant run down the field and make special teams tackles.It bothers me to but what are u going to do. Tom Coughlin seems to trust him

Redeyejedi
08-31-2012, 10:03 AM
as RF somewhat stated, he can get down the field and cover the punts along with being able to snap it.Thats why. A 300 pound center out there u would be down virtually 2 guys "Center and Punter" defending the Punt return

BlueSanta
08-31-2012, 10:31 AM
Deossie is perhaps the best longsnapper in the league. It is a crucially valuable position and he does it better than anyone. We also play in a climate where wind, rain and snow make this position that much harder. If we played indoors I could understand this discussion. But in our climate we demand reliability, and he gives it.

ozzie0075
08-31-2012, 10:43 AM
Also you have to understand that bad snaps can lead easily to point for the other team and take points of the board for your team. Lets take a look at last season not including play offs the Giants had 82 punts, 24 FG and 43 XP. That is a 149 snaps with out a mistake. Even one mistake could have been the difference between the Giants make and missing the play offs last year.

jomo
08-31-2012, 11:44 AM
DeOssie, like his father is a very solid longsnapper and after the Trey Junkin incident cannot be overlooked. I would think that possibly one of our centers may be proficient at longsnapping but probably not as good as Zack.did you have to bring up Trey Junkin? lol

fansince69
08-31-2012, 11:46 AM
did you have to bring up Trey Junkin? lol

sorry but is the best evidence of why a long snapper is important

PBTimmons
08-31-2012, 11:48 AM
Just FYI for the OP. I'm almost positive every team sets aside a roster spot "solely for a long snapper". It's definitely an important job and the Giants are definitely not the only ones doing it.

repeatchamps
08-31-2012, 11:50 AM
The guy is also a LB'er. While he has basically no experience playing the position in the NFL, he did like his dad, play it in college and in a pinch he could fill in at LB'er if needed but of course let's hope we never have to see that happen lol.

Drez
08-31-2012, 02:21 PM
The guy is also a LB'er. While he has basically no experience playing the position in the NFL, he did like his dad, play it in college and in a pinch he could fill in at LB'er if needed but of course let's hope we never have to see that happen lol.
He isn't a LB anymore. He's solely a longsnapper. He hasn't sat in a LB meeting room or taken a snap at LB since '09 or so.

GMan-67
08-31-2012, 04:01 PM

hello, Trey Junkin ... those who forget history are doomed to repeat it ... never again we will intentionally put ourselves in a situation where we have an experimental long snapper or too few pass rushers for that matter ... welcome to the team Ojomo !!

born blue
08-31-2012, 04:16 PM
C'mon...
DeOssie never misses a game, always snaps the ball where it needs to be, and consistently hustles and contributes on special teams. He is one of the Captains on the team. If every guy did their job as well as DeOssie and had his attitude, this would be a much better team.

fansince69
08-31-2012, 04:36 PM
hello, Trey Junkin ... those who forget history are doomed to repeat it ... never again we will intentionally put ourselves in a situation where we have an experimental long snapper or too few pass rushers for that matter ... welcome to the team Ojomo !!

Junkin was not an experiment he was an experienced Long snapper that screwed up....he just was someone we signed late in the season....if my memory serves....which it doesn't always...lol

NYG4lifeNYK
08-31-2012, 04:39 PM
DeOssie is a ST ACE and a sure-fire-battle-tested holder.

He is as safe as Eli.

GMan-67
08-31-2012, 06:36 PM
Junkin was not an experiment he was an experienced Long snapper that screwed up....he just was someone we signed late in the season....if my memory serves....which it doesn't always...lol

believe me i know the whole Junkin story ... and once again, we won't experiment at LS and then panic and sign some veteran only to have him do what Junkin did

Redeyejedi
08-31-2012, 07:17 PM
hello, Trey Junkin ... those who forget history are doomed to repeat it ... never again we will intentionally put ourselves in a situation where we have an experimental long snapper or too few pass rushers for that matter ... welcome to the team Ojomo !! Deossie might of been axed a few years ago because Jay Alford Long snapped as well but he tore his ACL then got cut. Never looked the same. He is right though a guuy like Greg Jones should of learned how to do it or Herzlich. Keeps u on an NFL Roster

fourth&forever
08-31-2012, 07:53 PM
You guys know who is listed as our backup LSnapper, right?

RoanokeFan
08-31-2012, 08:37 PM
DeOssie is a ST ACE and a sure-fire-battle-tested holder.

He is as safe as Eli.
He's the snapper, not the holder, but what you say is right on

RoanokeFan
08-31-2012, 08:38 PM
You guys know who is listed as our backup LSnapper, right?

I've heard it's Harooni

Eliscruzzz
08-31-2012, 08:44 PM
believe me i know the whole Junkin story ... and once again, we won't experiment at LS and then panic and sign some veteran only to have him do what Junkin did I'll never forget that game I'm happy with the snapper we have now and I hope and pray that it never comes to us having to sigh a veteran that been out while to snap a ball for a field goal. Jesus I still have nightmares about that I remember I was working and the game was on radio I almost cried.

derekunion28
08-31-2012, 08:46 PM
zack is worth his wait in gold

Rat_bastich
08-31-2012, 09:20 PM
did you have to bring up Trey Junkin? lol

I know it is almost as bad as saying Handley, though I feel more for Junkin since it really emotionally hurt the guy. He will forever go down in the annals of Giants notoriety for one moment on the field.

It's Yin and Yang...you can only make a comparison to something due to it's opposite.....

Giants5699
08-31-2012, 09:38 PM
Long Snapper will always be a valuable position to the Giants after the Junkin debacle. I don't care about the roster spot as long as we don't have to blame a loss on the Long Snapper.

appodictic
08-31-2012, 09:56 PM
Long snapper is a very very specific skill. Look for example when bass goes out. our backup can not even handle a shotgun snap, let alone a long snap. It would be great if other people could do it, but how come eli cant kick field goals?