PDA

View Full Version : Giants looking for Oline Help

ozzie0075
08-31-2012, 11:28 AM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Sure sounds like the Giants are in market to trade for an OL...

TheEnigma
08-31-2012, 11:35 AM
Hmm. I'm thinking it would be Interior line depth. Probably somebody 30+ that would be a reliable backup. Anyone that can play multiple positions would be a strong candidate.

jomo
08-31-2012, 11:37 AM
Sure sounds like the Giants are in market to trade for an OL...That's a good thing because all of us know that we probably need 2 of them.

giantsfan420
08-31-2012, 11:37 AM
well, lets look at this. next year we are def going OL early in the draft, at least I would assume so. Maybe this could be one of the rare times JR trades a high pick to get a legit player?

I mean, I wouldnt be opposed to using a 1rst, a 2nd, or a 3rd on a good somewhat young OL player. We need the help for this year. and It could also reduce a position we need to address next season.

ozzie0075
08-31-2012, 11:45 AM
I'm certain we will be saying bye bye to Petrus by the time the Dallas game rolls around.

G-Men Surg.
08-31-2012, 11:57 AM
Sure sounds like the Giants are in market to trade for an OL...
Thanks for the update bro !
As we all know every O-line has to have time to gel when a season starts but Jerry Reese knows and saw we need help, depth and maybe a skilled veteran that can hold the fort until the rest gets healthy. Waiver wire surfing time for Mr. Reese.

jomo
08-31-2012, 12:02 PM
I'm certain we will be saying bye bye to Petrus by the time the Dallas game rolls around.It's shocking how poorly he played this pre-season. OL play isn't usually that visible unless you are isolating on a single player. Petrus forced everyone to see his miscues almost every time he was on the field. Not sure what happened from last year to this year. Maybe I just missed it last year.

Cool Papa B.
08-31-2012, 12:05 PM
I'm surprised they aren't looking for a DT.

repeatchamps
08-31-2012, 12:14 PM
I'm surprised they aren't looking for a DT.

They had two and cut them both. Hendricks and Marcus Thomas. Down to Bernard, Joseph, Kuhn and Austin (maybe Rogers) until Canty comes back. Not having a warm and fuzzy feeling with that group.

MattMeyerBud
08-31-2012, 12:25 PM
They had two and cut them both. Hendricks and Marcus Thomas. Down to Bernard, Joseph, Kuhn and Austin (maybe Rogers) until Canty comes back. Not having a warm and fuzzy feeling with that group.

i actually don't mind it. Joseph is beasting, Bernard coming off a great year... Kuhn, Austin, and Tuck will split time backing up inside. Not as bad as it seems IMO

Crovaz
08-31-2012, 12:28 PM
OL? I think we could use some help there but to me the CB's scare the ever living hell out of me. I love Webster and think Prince and Hosely will be good and Coe seems like he might be able to step in, but 2 guys are already injured and there isn't much behind Coe.

GiantVibes
08-31-2012, 12:31 PM
i actually don't mind it. Joseph is beasting, Bernard coming off a great year... Kuhn, Austin, and Tuck will split time backing up inside. Not as bad as it seems IMO

I agree. If Austin can stay healthy we will still have good depth at the DT position.

repeatchamps
08-31-2012, 12:35 PM

I hope you are right, let's pray everyone stays healthy until Canty gets off the PUP.

You going to the game Wednesday?

BrianK01
08-31-2012, 12:38 PM
OL? I think we could use some help there but to me the CB's scare the ever living hell out of me. I love Webster and think Prince and Hosely will be good and Coe seems like he might be able to step in, but 2 guys are already injured and there isn't much behind Coe.Have you watched any of the preseason games?

Cool Papa B.
08-31-2012, 12:42 PM
I agree. If Austin can stay healthy we will still have good depth at the DT position.

Austin has some work to do before he can help this team at DT. In his one game this preseason he looked rusty and his footwork was not too good. I think eventually he can be a good DT if he could be healthy enough to stay on the field.

Eliscruzzz
08-31-2012, 01:40 PM
They had two and cut them both. Hendricks and Marcus Thomas. Down to Bernard, Joseph, Kuhn and Austin (maybe Rogers) until Canty comes back. Not having a warm and fuzzy feeling with that group.I kinda of like that group. I think Bernard did pretty Damn good in the preseason.

RoanokeFan
08-31-2012, 01:44 PM
That's a good thing because all of us know that we probably need 2 of them.

What/who do we offer???

thomsoad
08-31-2012, 01:45 PM
I called it yesterday...
Ojomo = trade bait

RoanokeFan
08-31-2012, 01:46 PM

And we're keeping Ojomo it seems so if Tuck goes inside, we have some talent between Ojomo and Tracy assuming he makes the final 53

RoanokeFan
08-31-2012, 01:49 PM
I called it yesterday...
Ojomo = trade bait

Or Tracy or a future draft pick

thomsoad
08-31-2012, 01:53 PM
Or Tracy or a future draft pick

Doubt a future draft pick (cant see Reese doing that for an OL). Our biggest "Bang for the Buck" would be Ojomo or Tracey. Teams want a rushing DE and we are stacked.

Which player I guess depends on who we are negotiating with.

Atomic1
08-31-2012, 01:58 PM
Best thing they ever did was cut Bernard awhile ago because ever since then he has played like a player possessed ! I guess we all need the WAKE-UP CALL occasionally !
I think we are set at DT even without Rodgers with the addition of Kuhn , Thomas and Hendricks plus Canty comes pack week 6.
Who was this guy Hughes who played cb in the Pats game ? I thought I heard the announcer say he was a top pick of the colts a couple years ago ? I think cb is a need AND a vet. OL lineman.

RagTime Blue
08-31-2012, 02:05 PM
Yea I found i odd that we're keeping (both) Tracy and Ojomo.

ImElectric2
08-31-2012, 02:14 PM
Any word yet on who we are looking at? Imagine if we made another Rivers-esqe trade? Get it done Reese!

joemorrisforprez
08-31-2012, 02:21 PM
Austin has some work to do before he can help this team at DT. In his one game this preseason he looked rusty and his footwork was not too good. I think eventually he can be a good DT if he could be healthy enough to stay on the field.

I used to be on the A-Train, but after he showed up flabby and then got injured again, I've changed my mind. He's at the bottom of the DT totem pole as far as I'm concerned.

Eli TO Shockey
08-31-2012, 02:24 PM
That's a good thing because all of us know that we probably need 2 of them.

any relation to Ojomo? :biggrin:

Crovaz
08-31-2012, 02:26 PM
Have you watched any of the preseason games?

Yes, I've watched all 4 preseason games and The OL looks just as bad as it was last year. However, the CB situation scares me more and Eli was able to overcome the short comings of the line from last year.

NJGMEN10
08-31-2012, 02:34 PM
I called it yesterday...
Ojomo = trade bait

with this POSSIBLY being Osi's last year with us, there is no way we would just trade Ojomo. Unless, they have plans of moving Kiwi back to DE.

Toadofsteel
08-31-2012, 02:45 PM
with this POSSIBLY being Osi's last year with us, there is no way we would just trade Ojomo. Unless, they have plans of moving Kiwi back to DE.

I think the reason we kept both Tracy and Ojomo is because they're going to be the future Tuckracy and Osijomo...

RoanokeFan
08-31-2012, 02:46 PM
Doubt a future draft pick (cant see Reese doing that for an OL). Our biggest "Bang for the Buck" would be Ojomo or Tracey. Teams want a rushing DE and we are stacked.

Which player I guess depends on who we are negotiating with.

Now I am not saying I am proposing this, but for the right Olineman, whoever it may be, do we consider trading Osi? This is a long term business and Osi is in the sunset of his career while Tracy and Ojomo are in the blazing sunrise. Remember, Reese needs CAP space to pay for Nicks, Cruz and Tuck. It's just a question, no one needs to picket my home.

Crovaz
08-31-2012, 02:49 PM
Now I am not saying I am proposing this, but for the right Olineman, whoever it may be, do we consider trading Osi? This is a long term business and Osi is in the sunset of his career while Tracy and Ojomo are in the blazing sunrise. Remember, Reese needs CAP space to pay for Nicks, Cruz and Tuck. It's just a question, no one needs to picket my home.

Not a bad idea but I think the stumbling block would be that the new team would have to sign Osi to a new deal before anything would happen, and that could be a big problem.

Bee
08-31-2012, 02:49 PM
at first i thought i read "giants looking for ONLINE help" like they were having trouble paying their comcast bill or something

RoanokeFan
08-31-2012, 02:54 PM
at first i thought i read "giants looking for ONLINE help" like they were having trouble paying their comcast bill or something

That too :p

BrianK01
08-31-2012, 02:55 PM
Now I am not saying I am proposing this, but for the right Olineman, whoever it may be, do we consider trading Osi? This is a long term business and Osi is in the sunset of his career while Tracy and Ojomo are in the blazing sunrise. Remember, Reese needs CAP space to pay for Nicks, Cruz and Tuck. It's just a question, no one needs to picket my home.Look out your front door I am setting up the picket line right now :P
Actually I think that would be a great scenario. Might as well get something in return for Osi since it is highly unlikely he will be here next year.

RoanokeFan
08-31-2012, 02:59 PM
Look out your front door I am setting up the picket line right now :P
Actually I think that would be a great scenario. Might as well get something in return for Osi since it is highly unlikely he will be here next year.

I just think he's going to ask for money we're not willing to part with and this could be a good ending for everyone if they think it makes sense.

juice33s
08-31-2012, 03:00 PM
As one of Petrus' biggest supporters over the years I must admit that he has been horrible this preseason...Even if him and Brewer make the final 53, it might not be for very long

BlueMetal 40
08-31-2012, 03:05 PM
Yes, I've watched all 4 preseason games and The OL looks just as bad as it was last year. However, the CB situation scares me more and Eli was able to overcome the short comings of the line from last year.

Look at it this way. We get help on the O-Line to keep Eli from getting hurt. He then throws 40 Td's this year, and our secondary can give up the big play once in a while because the Offense can roll with any team in the league. Keeping Eli healthy is WAY more important than a few bad plays here and there when the D-Line can't get to the QB.

Crovaz
08-31-2012, 03:21 PM
Look at it this way. We get help on the O-Line to keep Eli from getting hurt. He then throws 40 Td's this year, and our secondary can give up the big play once in a while because the Offense can roll with any team in the league. Keeping Eli healthy is WAY more important than a few bad plays here and there when the D-Line can't get to the QB.

Oh I'm not saying I disagree, I just think about how the D looked for most of last season but hopefully they look more like the D from the playoff run. As far as getting an OLine man, I'm all for it so long as we're not mortgaging a future high draft pick for a middle of the road Olineman. I know Reese knows better than that but I don't know where they're looking to upgrade. LT would be a fortune and RT would still cost something high I would think.

BlueMetal 40
08-31-2012, 04:14 PM
Yeah, I agree as far as cost. You would have to think that if a trade for a good T is in the works, we are going to unload (in the trade) some salary to bring him in. But who? Osi, Rolle?

rainierjef
08-31-2012, 04:17 PM
im going to leave this one alone

BlueMetal 40
08-31-2012, 04:19 PM
Preposterous, I know.... I shudder to think we trade away Rolle, or Osi. I guess we hope our line is more like the Bears game than the Patriots game.

RoanokeFan
08-31-2012, 04:32 PM
Preposterous, I know.... I shudder to think we trade away Rolle, or Osi. I guess we hope our line is more like the Bears game than the Patriots game.

If there really is a trade in the wind, you have to trade someone the other team(S) really want(s). Petrus, as an example, would probably not get anyone's attention for a quality, I can help you now OLineman. of course we don't even know if there is a hunt on for an Olineman.

JesseJames
08-31-2012, 04:44 PM
the Patriots just cut Dan Koppens who is just the type of player Reese looks for, he's 32 years old with a lot of experience and should come fairly cheap, he'd make at the least a very good back up who could also start...

ImElectric2
08-31-2012, 05:14 PM
I saw Trai Essex was just cut by the Steelers. My memory is that he was decent and even started a few games. Am I correct or just another manufactured memory?

moosedrool
08-31-2012, 05:19 PM
Petrus was never good in pass protection, so I'm not sure why some people were surprised seeing him get toasted this preseason. Brewer looked worse than Diehl, so you know that's really bad. And I had to laugh when someone said "work the waiver wire Mr Reese". Do you really think there would be any quality OL cut? Nope. Not anybody that could help us NOW. Trade is the only hope for OL help this year.

GFiP
08-31-2012, 05:21 PM

No way anyone takes on Rolle's contract.

CowboysSuck
08-31-2012, 05:58 PM
Jah Reid from baltimore may become available. Last I checked he was a raw prospect out there and was on the bubble. Maybe we can coach him up and he could become a started halfway through the year (not likely). Hes like 6'7" 340..a bug dude. I'm really not sure was the FO is going to do about this; if anything. I can tell you one thing though, with our secondary as thin as it is, there is no way in hell we get rid of Rolle..or Osi for that matter.

Manstache
08-31-2012, 07:30 PM
Hmm. I'm thinking it would be Interior line depth. Probably somebody 30+ that would be a reliable backup. Anyone that can play multiple positions would be a strong candidate.

what about dan coppen from new england? the pats cut him and he would be more reliable than cordle if baas isnt effective or his migraines act up again. plus, if any of those 2 things happen (knock on wood) we can keep boothe at guard.

Manstache
08-31-2012, 07:34 PM
If there really is a trade in the wind, you have to trades someone the other teams really wants. Petrus, as an example, would probably not get anyone's attention for a quality, I can help you now OLineman. of course we don't even know if there is a hunt on for an Olineman

if we trade any team it would be a draft pick that we give up, not a player. last time we traded player for player it was tim carter for rueben drones 5 years ago, not our style.

hungrrrry
08-31-2012, 09:23 PM
Not a bad idea but I think the stumbling block would be that the new team would have to sign Osi to a new deal before anything would happen, and that could be a big problem.No new deal would need to be signed...Osi has a one year deal with us and it is cheap by comparison to the top D-ends in the league. That would give his new team time to work out an extension for Osi. I think the problem is more that Osi doesn't REALLY want to leave, he really just wants better pay. I would gladly trade him for a top ten left tackle or a top five right tackle or left guard. I am willing to give Baas a pass since he had virtually no off-season in 2011 to build any chemistry and learn our system.

There is no way I would use Ojomo as trade bait with Osi only having a one year deal with us...I think he is going to make a significant impact in 2012. Tollefson was a nice player for this team but I believe this kid is going to be better!

We need to find a diamond in the rough at Oline...i think our weakness as a team is our brass not being able to find/identify good Oline talent.

appodictic
08-31-2012, 09:38 PM
No way you trade OSI. This is his chance to write his legacy. He will play hard this year. I would rather have a good/great osi then a scrubby waiver wire oline player. Look at the power moves we made to get bass, and that stupid punt returner we traded the vikings for. We are better off grooming someone ourselves then taking someone else's left overs.

This team wins by dominating on Defence and scoring points through the air. The oline just has to keep eli uninjured bradshaw and co will just have to keep scrapping out 3-4 yard runs to keep people honest.

RagTime Blue
08-31-2012, 09:50 PM
Not to mention Bennett is the best blocking TE (to get extensive play) we've had since Shockey. He'll help the OLine, and Hynoski being in his 2nd season will help as well. Hyno will make them pay for not accounting for him as a receiver. Wilson will make teams respect the run more, and not be able to tee-off on Manning.

Plus, while he's no All-Pro, it's very possible that Beatty will return sooner than many on here think. He's the best pass-blocking LT we have, and instantly makes the line better by moving Locklear to RT.

While there's certainly ??'s, there are also ways to work with what we have if need be.

Antwuan
08-31-2012, 10:02 PM
Nice! Wouldn't Mind That.

But the question is what are we giving up?

BParcells777
08-31-2012, 10:10 PM
Why does Baas get such a pass on the board......the guy is mediocre at best

When Boothe took over for O'Hara we were averaging about 8 yds per carry

Crovaz
08-31-2012, 10:26 PM
Why does Baas get such a pass on the board......the guy is mediocre at best

When Boothe took over for O'Hara we were averaging about 8 yds per carry

Yeah I don't like Baas either, just isn't that good. Hopefully we'll pick up a center next year and he can play guard or just cut him. His contract doesn't match his talent.

moosedrool
08-31-2012, 10:51 PM
Baas did not have a good year last year, but he had a good Super Bowl. If you don't believe me watch the Super Bowl again and focus on Baas. I expect his second year to be better than his first (not uncommon with free agents). If it isn't, he'll be gone but I think tackle is a bigger concern right now. Brewer got beat in preseason, Locklear is a mediocre, Diehl is 32. Hopefully Beatty comes back soon or Eli is going to get creamed. Oh yea, Petrus can't pass block very well either.

JJC7301
09-01-2012, 12:53 AM
Yeah, I was VERY surprised, and disappointed, that they dumped Thomas but VERY glad that they kept Kuhn.

RagTime Blue
09-01-2012, 12:57 AM
Yeah, I was VERY surprised, and disappointed, that they dumped Thomas but VERY glad that they kept Kuhn.

Are you disappointed that Thomas didn't perform well, or disappointed that the coaches weren't as impressed as you were with his play?

Not trying to be sarcastic, just curious since I didn't get to see him play very much.

BillTheGreek
09-01-2012, 01:27 AM
What are we waiting for ????????????