PDA

View Full Version : I know we cant compare this to 07 in anyway shape or form, but.......

miked1958
12-13-2011, 11:49 AM
First let me say that i realize we cant keep going back to 07 because that was a magical year. Wont ever be repeated. Also the Defense that we had that year and the one this year is VASTLY different. We had Strahan and alot of others we dont have now. With that said.</P>

</P>

We lost our first 2games that seasons and gave up someting like 80+ points to Dallas and GB. We then were down 17-3 to a Division Rival in the third game with what some say the season on the line and came back in 2nd half and won that game and went on to win alot more impt games that year (bills game which put us in playoffs)..</P>

I know you cant compare but we just played two of the best teams in the League Saints and GB (losing both games and giving up 87 or so points in the process). Then we play a Division Rival (Dallas) again with what looked to be the Season on the Line even more so then 07 cause that would have made us just 0-3 and looking UGLY but not totally out of it yet. SO we play Dallas and i realize circumstances are a bit different as it was halftime we wokeup vs skins and not until down 12 with 5m left vs dallas. BUT the fact is we woke up and get the win. </P>

In that 07 Season in the games leading up to the playoffs and in the playoffs we had ALOT of Rookies step up due to injuries to the Starters. (Smith, Alford, AB, Boss, Ross) and some 2nd year and 3rd year guys step up (hixon, Dave T, others).. I think if this team can catch a spark and play way above their capabilites on Defense especially they can make another run starting with you guessed it the Skins again this weekend. If they can string together wins vs skins, jets and dallas and gain experince and confidence in the meantime then go into playoffs with a chip on their shoulders they can again use a LOSS to JUMPSTART their Team and their Belief in themselves that they can beat anyone.</P>

Then they can go into playoffs and beat lions/falcons first round (like we did TB, a team we didnt play during the year) to get to the Saints and Packers and get revenge (like we did vs Dallas and GB in 07) to get to another improbable SB chance maybe against the Pats again... Who knows.
</P>

I know i will TAKE ALOT OF HEAT for this Thread. BUT just had to post it.</P>

Add to it or take away from it. Its just my opinion.</P>

MikeIsaGiant
12-13-2011, 12:00 PM
Our defense slimply ain't there.

Ross stepped up that year, but can Prince? He's catching a lot of heat but he has been injured and just got tossed into the game.

Will he prove us these last 3 games? It's going to be rough, but we'll see.

Our secondary is too weak.

G-Man67
12-13-2011, 12:01 PM
well why not, if we run the table and finish 10-6

we've already had a very competitive game vs. this years undefeated team

we had a dramatic win at Dallas with some similarities to our playoff win at Dallas

our secondary is beat up like it was in 2007

we still can rush the passer, but our run D is nothing like 2007 and neither is our run O

having said that our passing O is more productive, party cause it has to be, but also we have a QB playing at a high level and it is a QB league, esp. in the 4th quarter

in this league, you gotta somehow survive and be in it to win it, we've somehow made it to this point, so let's go close the deal, make the playoffs and keep the dream alive!

bigjeep
12-13-2011, 12:04 PM
First let me say that i realize we cant keep going back to 07 because that was a magical year. Wont ever be repeated. Also the Defense that we had that year and the one this year is VASTLY different. We had Strahan and alot of others we dont have now. With that said.</P>

</P>

We lost our first 2games that seasons and gave up someting like 80+ points to Dallas and GB. We then were down 17-3 to a Division Rival in the third game with what some say the season on the line and came back in 2nd half and won that game and went on to win alot more impt games that year (bills game which put us in playoffs)..</P>

I know you cant compare but we just played two of the best teams in the League Saints and GB (losing both games and giving up 87 or so points in the process). Then we play a Division Rival (Dallas) again with what looked to be the Season on the Line even more so then 07 cause that would have made us just 0-3 and looking UGLY but not totally out of it yet. SO we play Dallas and i realize circumstances are a bit different as it was halftime we wokeup vs skins and not until down 12 with 5m left vs dallas. BUT the fact is we woke up and get the win. </P>

In that 07 Season in the games leading up to the playoffs and in the playoffs we had ALOT of Rookies step up due to injuries to the Starters. (Smith, Alford, AB, Boss, Ross) and some 2nd year and 3rd year guys step up (hixon, Dave T, others).. I think if this team can catch a spark and play way above their capabilites on Defense especially they can make another run starting with you guessed it the Skins again this weekend. If they can string together wins vs skins, jets and dallas and gain experince and confidence in the meantime then go into playoffs with a chip on their shoulders they can again use a LOSS to JUMPSTART their Team and their Belief in themselves that they can beat anyone.</P>

Then they can go into playoffs and beat lions/falcons first round (like we did TB, a team we didnt play during the year) to get to the Saints and Packers and get revenge (like we did vs Dallas and GB in 07) to get to another improbable SB chance maybe against the Pats again... Who knows.
</P>

</P>

Not without David Tyree!</P>

BigBlue1971
12-13-2011, 12:08 PM
the defense is the key to our success imo!</P>

Eli and the offense is explosive and if our running game gradually improves these next few games they may be unstoppable!</P>

the defense is my concern. i dont like the big plays we give up.</P>

Weygand
12-13-2011, 12:18 PM
the defense is the key to our success imo!</P>

Eli and the offense is explosive and if our running game gradually improves these next few games they may be unstoppable!</P>

the defense is my concern.* i dont like the big plays we give up.</P>

That really is our weak spot. The Giants could use another Sam Madison now.

miked1958
12-13-2011, 09:26 PM
well why not, if we run the table and finish 10-6

we've already had a very competitive game vs. this years undefeated team

we had a dramatic win at Dallas with some similarities to our playoff win at Dallas

our secondary is beat up like it was in 2007

we still can rush the passer, but our run D is nothing like 2007 and neither is our run O

having said that our passing O is more productive, party cause it has to be, but also we have a QB playing at a high level and it is a QB league, esp. in the 4th quarter

in this league, you gotta somehow survive and be in it to win it, we've somehow made it to this point, so let's go close the deal, make the playoffs and keep the dream alive!
Now that's what I like to hear.... WHY NOT!!!!

That should be the teams motto from now till we win the Title!

WHY NOT!

krygny
12-13-2011, 09:39 PM
Nobody ever seems to remember how our defense played in the first two games in 2007.

miked1958
12-13-2011, 10:08 PM
Nobody ever seems to remember how our defense played in the first two games in 2007.

I remember very well.... And we had better players on that defense and they still got torched. It was actually the first 2.5 games...

We for the most part are a very bad defense right now giving up 49, 31 and 34 in last three games. GB scored 38 but one was defensive. Not sure all of the saints points were offensive either. I tried to block that game out of my mind as soon as it was over.

But as bad as we are right now, there is still the chance that they catch fire and play D like they did vs the Pats and Philly games....
We do that and we can beat any team we face

miked1958
12-14-2011, 12:41 PM
bumping this up just in case our team catches fire. lol

htfdwhal
12-14-2011, 01:30 PM
Just think, the road to the superbowl goes thru Green Bay. I remember the last time the Giants went thru Green Bay. Let history repeat itself.

burier
12-14-2011, 01:41 PM
I'm confident we can do it and the D just needs to play a little better..We don't have to fix everything we just need to get a couple more stops per game and Let Eli handle the rest.

gmen46
12-14-2011, 04:01 PM

*</P>

</P>

I find nothing wrong in what you say here. Realistic with a taste of optimism. I share it.

Also, if the Giants DO win out--virtually a necessity to win the division--it will mean by definition that we won the last 4 games of the season, which is always considered a plus (in confidence and belief in themselves) going into playoffs--ie, "peaking at the right time of the year" cliche, which like all cliches have great truth in them.

pjam84
12-14-2011, 05:02 PM
Our secondary is too weak.

i've yet to be sold on the defense as a whole, but if we're comparing the '07 team and this team, this statement is just not true. individually, i think our secondary this year is superior. players stepped up that year, they can do the same this year.

i think the key differences between the two defenses that would make me give the edge to the '07 defense is michael strahan and antonio pierce. antonio was the defensive leader and playcaller on the field, and probably more football smart than anyone we have on our defense this year. strahan was not only a beast who never took plays off, but he was also our team leader, and maybe the glue that kept the locker room together.

the '07 secondary was terrible. who did we have? gibril wilson was probably our best player. corey webster didn't turn into the player he is now until the playoffs that year. we had sam madison who was there mostly for veteran leadership, james butler who everyone hated, and aaron ross (an overachieving rookie) who's arm was hanging off his shoulder for most of the postseason. who am i missing? no one special really. we got through the dallas game in the second half with guys off the street.

fact of the matter is, you can argue which defense is better all day. it's really irrelevant. we have the guys to get it done this year. it comes down to execution and whether or not they want it bad enough. i've seen some pretty mediocre teams get hot and make a run. the '05 steelers come to mind. lets just see what happens.

miked1958
02-06-2012, 09:00 AM
bumping this up just in case our team catches fire. lol
I guess we caught fire didn't we!!! Lol