PDA

View Full Version : Terrel Thomas IR not the short 1

Redeyejedi
08-31-2012, 10:04 PM
Probably the end of his career as a Giant

Redeyejedi
08-31-2012, 10:05 PM
Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo
Giants place Terrell Thomas, Shaun Rogers on injured reserve: Both players did not receive short-term IR designation

roadgrader76
08-31-2012, 10:07 PM
Kinda hoping that Marvin Austin gets that designation

derekunion28
08-31-2012, 10:08 PM
man oh man hope tweet was wrong

Flip Empty
08-31-2012, 10:10 PM
Damn. Poor guy.

Redeyejedi
08-31-2012, 10:13 PM
Do not be shocked if we see an injury settlement and Thomas trys to play elsewhere. Maybe an Eagle LOL

PierrePaul
08-31-2012, 10:13 PM
So that designation had to be done already for him to be on the short IR? I thought it was a textbook example of a marquee player who was out for the first half of the year. So many news outlets had said that this would help the Giants keep Terrell available this year. I guess that was wrong.

fourth&forever
08-31-2012, 10:18 PM
guess his knee was worse than they were saying.

roadgrader76
08-31-2012, 10:18 PM
this stuff is still developing... there are a few players in this same situation as far as we know... Rogers , etc

DownWitJPP
08-31-2012, 10:23 PM
If the Giants decide to offer him an injury settlement, he can play for another team this season. Sad to say, but this is prob the end of his Giants Career. We have too many people to sign this offseason including Kenny Phillips and Victor Cruz

Toadofsteel
08-31-2012, 10:26 PM
Not to mention that if Prince, Hosley, Coe, and Tryon all pan out, there really won't be room on this team for TT in the future.

It's a shame, TT is a real cool guy, but such is the nature of football.

Rod-Diggity
08-31-2012, 10:27 PM
really pisses me off to hear this, they supposedly got the best possble news on him then put him on ir this just doesn't sit well with me

SackingMyths
08-31-2012, 10:27 PM
It's sad, but I think it's the right thing to do--for the team and for T2's future. If he were to get hurt again, no team would want to take a shot on him.

I do agree that his NYG career has most likely ended. I wish him well.

Toadofsteel
08-31-2012, 10:31 PM
The question is, why full-season IR him rather than cutting him outright? In 2013 Prince Coe Tryon and Hosley will all have another year of experience. We will be fully loaded at CB, and will just be paying TT to sit on IR again. If we cut him, and no other team picks him up, we can Blackburn him later on if there are injuries during the season...

RoanokeFan
08-31-2012, 10:34 PM
Kinda hoping that Marvin Austin gets that designation

I am pretty sure Garafolo says Austin not going to IR

roadgrader76
08-31-2012, 10:37 PM
I am pretty sure Garafolo says Austin not gong to IR
Better news than I had hoped for then ! thanks RF!

RoanokeFan
08-31-2012, 10:37 PM
really pisses me off to hear this, they supposedly got the best possble news on him then put him on ir this just doesn't sit well with me

You know, the organization has always been conservative when bringing back players from injuries. I think they see a lot of promise in Hosley, Tryon, and Coe. It could be they want to give TT time to heal completely or offer him am injury settlement at some point.

RoanokeFan
08-31-2012, 10:38 PM
Better news than I had hoped for then ! thanks RF!

I can't find the source I had, but usually reliable

repeatchamps
08-31-2012, 10:38 PM
It's sad, but I think it's the right thing to do--for the team and for T2's future. If he were to get hurt again, no team would want to take a shot on him.

I do agree that his NYG career has most likely ended. I wish him well.

Just don't get why they wouldn't use the one player IR designation for Thomas, they could always put him on the permanent one when the time comes if there is no improvement. If there is no ACL tear no reason to put him on permanent IR.

SackingMyths
08-31-2012, 10:40 PM
Just don't get why they wouldn't use the one player IR designation for Thomas, they could always put him on the permanent one when the time comes if there is no improvement. If there is no ACL tear no reason to put him on permanent IR.

I think there was a bigger gap between T2's optimism and the reality that the Giants' medical staff arrived at. Still, I'm with ya...it's very disappointing and a lot of us didn't see this one coming.

titwio
08-31-2012, 10:44 PM
Makes me wonder if the Giants go CB again early next year (1st or 2nd round)

Sundown
08-31-2012, 10:47 PM
Makes me wonder if the Giants go CB again early next year (1st or 2nd round)

Better be 2nd cause we need OL 1st haha

Antwuan
08-31-2012, 10:49 PM
Sad!

Get Well Soon T2.

NYGiantsFan56
08-31-2012, 11:20 PM
The Guy is not ready to play. If he was the Giants would have found a way to get him on the field. We went through the same thing last year with Steve Smith when the Giants said he wasn't ready and he insisted he was and signed with Philly and he was a flop on the field. T2 needs another another year to heal right. Smart to IR him because in March the Giants can reassess him and for the right price get him on a one year deal or if not then just release him. The bottom line the Giants feel he cant play this year and they are right.

Crovaz
08-31-2012, 11:21 PM
Honestly, if you were counting on T2 contributing this year to begin with, after a 3rd ACL tear, I'd say you were crazy. I like the guy as much as everyone else but his comeback was a long shot at best, hence his contract.

titwio
08-31-2012, 11:30 PM
Honestly, if you were counting on T2 contributing this year to begin with, after a 3rd ACL tear, I'd say you were crazy. I like the guy as much as everyone else but his comeback was a long shot at best, hence his contract.

2nd ACL tear.

Crovaz
08-31-2012, 11:45 PM
2nd ACL tear.

Sorry, yes, 2nd tear on the same knee.

bebil10
08-31-2012, 11:46 PM
I for one am not yet concerned, we know Cweb will shut down whoever he covers, all we need is 2 of these guys to step up, who would have thought that Ross would do it last year but he did. If they don't and Grant is still out there I could see him being a like Blackburn and called back to help out mid season.

titwio
08-31-2012, 11:54 PM
I for one am not yet concerned, we know Cweb will shut down whoever he covers, all we need is 2 of these guys to step up, who would have thought that Ross would do it last year but he did. If they don't and Grant is still out there I could see him being a like Blackburn and called back to help out mid season.

Grant is a safety...and he's old. The Giants currently have 4 safeties on the 53. They need another CB. If another corner were to get hurt, they'd be screwed.

bebil10
08-31-2012, 11:59 PM
Grant is a safety...and he's old. The Giants currently have 4 safeties on the 53. They need another CB. If another corner were to get hurt, they'd be screwed.

In case you didn't follow last season, the giants used a lot of 3 safety looks and even rolled rolle into a 3rd corner on occasion, bringing back grant would make it easier to do that. That is what I am saying, I am not as comfortable with the guys we have behind rolle and phillips to do that without grant.

byron
09-01-2012, 12:05 AM
2nd ACL tear. I throught it was his third ?

none the less its to bad he's probably done here

titwio
09-01-2012, 12:06 AM
In case you didn't follow last season, the giants used a lot of 3 safety looks and even rolled rolle into a 3rd corner on occasion, bringing back grant would make it easier to do that. That is what I am saying, I am not as comfortable with the guys we have behind rolle and phillips to do that without grant.

Yes I did know Antrel played nickel corner last year. What I'm saying is the Giants have 4 safeties on the 53. They can still put Rolle at corner if they wanted without signing an aged Deon Grant. Did you watch Grant play most of the regular season last year? He was horrendous and in the playoffs he played better. Hill imo is an upgrade over Deon and is the reason the Giants haven't already called him.

Sorry I don't see how signing Deon Grant helps the Giants corner situation at all especially when Will Hill is already more versatile than him in the fact he's played a lot of nickel corner himself (something Grant doesn't do) and was used in that role with the #1's when Hosley went down with injury....and also kept Rolle at his conventional safety position.

JJC7301
09-01-2012, 12:09 AM
Mike Garafolo ‏@MikeGarafolo
Giants place Terrell Thomas, Shaun Rogers on injured reserve: Both players did not receive short-term IR designation
It was the right move.

JJC7301
09-01-2012, 12:10 AM
In terms of Marvin Austin, not me. Not willing to give up on him yet. At least give him this year, IMO.

titwio
09-01-2012, 12:10 AM
I believe it is the third tear...... he tore that same knee in 2005 in college.... according to this article anyway

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8215433/2012-nfl-training-camp-new-york-giants-terrell-thomas-sent-knee-examined

none the less its to bad he's probably done here....

He tore it once in college and once in preseason last year. Initially when he had his set-back this year in preseason they thought it was his 3rd tear...but they concluded he just injured it and could resume rehabbing it.

Imgrate
09-01-2012, 12:11 AM
Bad news to say the least. We need to get another high end corner, Webster is not getting younger.

bebil10
09-01-2012, 12:15 AM
Yes I did know Antrel played nickel corner last year. What I'm saying is the Giants have 4 safeties on the 53. They can still put Rolle at corner if they wanted without signing an aged Deon Grant. Did you watch Grant play most of the regular season last year? He was horrendous and in the playoffs he played better. Hill imo is an upgrade over Deon and is the reason the Giants haven't already called him.

Sorry I don't see how signing Deon Grant helps the Giants corner situation at all especially when Will Hill is already more versatile than him in the fact he's played a lot of nickel corner himself (something Grant doesn't do) and was used in that role with the #1's when Hosley went down with injury....and also kept Rolle at his conventional safety position. some of us value actual nfl experience over college experience from a guy who couldn't even get drafted last year.

titwio
09-01-2012, 12:18 AM
some of us value actual nfl experience over college experience from a guy who couldn't even get drafted last year.

That's fine but I guess in this case the NY Giants scouting and coaching staff disagree with you.

byron
09-01-2012, 12:18 AM
He tore it once in college and once in preseason last year. Initially when he had his set-back this year in preseason they thought it was his 3rd tear...but they concluded he just injured it and could resume rehabbing it. yeah sorry man.... I figured it out and tryed to edit

titwio
09-01-2012, 12:19 AM
yeah sorry man.... I figured it out and tryed to edit

No worries.

Overdrive92
09-01-2012, 02:29 AM
Not to mention that if Prince, Hosley, Coe, and Tryon all pan out, there really won't be room on this team for TT in the future.

Yes, and what are the chances of THAT happening? All 4 of them panning out?

Prince better man up quick, because when he comes back, he's the new starter for this team. Not for a few weeks until T2 heals up, but ALL. YEAR. LONG.

BeatYale
09-01-2012, 06:10 AM
Do not be shocked if we see an injury settlement and Thomas trys to play elsewhere. Maybe an Eagle LOL

Well an injury settlement would only be needed if the Giants decided to release him, according to the CBA they'd have to reach a settlement with him prior to actually releasing him. However, since he is on IR he will get paid his full salary this year as if he were on the active roster.

For TT it's the best case scenario right now because he gets to rehab again, but with a bigger salary this time. The devil you know is better than the devil you don't know. The Giants apparently want to keep him around in case our new guys don't develop well.

Rat_bastich
09-01-2012, 07:05 AM
Yes, and what are the chances of THAT happening? All 4 of them panning out?

Prince better man up quick, because when he comes back, he's the new starter for this team. Not for a few weeks until T2 heals up, but ALL. YEAR. LONG.

I think Jerry Reese uses the Wacky Wall Walker theory as do other GM's. Grab a number of players in a certain position hoping a few stick. He usually does pretty good though.

Redeyejedi
09-01-2012, 09:53 AM

Sorry I don't see how signing Deon Grant helps the Giants corner situation at all especially when Will Hill is already more versatile than him in the fact he's played a lot of nickel corner himself (something Grant doesn't do) and was used in that role with the #1's when Hosley went down with injury....and also kept Rolle at his conventional safety position. athletically speaking Hill is a huge upgrade.young players make mistakes but they wont learn on the bench

Redeyejedi
09-01-2012, 09:54 AM
Well an injury settlement would only be needed if the Giants decided to release him, according to the CBA they'd have to reach a settlement with him prior to actually releasing him. However, since he is on IR he will get paid his full salary this year as if he were on the active roster.

For TT it's the best case scenario right now because he gets to rehab again, but with a bigger salary this time. The devil you know is better than the devil you don't know. The Giants apparently want to keep him around in case our new guys don't develop well.TT may ask 2 leave. he may think he can still play

GMan-67
09-01-2012, 10:08 AM
you can bring 1 guy back, any guy, there is no special designation that i heard about

OX1
09-01-2012, 12:20 PM
The Guy is not ready to play. If he was the Giants would have found a way to get him on the field. We went through the same thing last year with Steve Smith when the Giants said he wasn't ready and he insisted he was and signed with Philly and he was a flop on the field. T2 needs another another year to heal right. Smart to IR him because in March the Giants can reassess him and for the right price get him on a one year deal or if not then just release him. The bottom line the Giants feel he cant play this year and they are right.

Said the same thing a couple days ago. Why anyone thought he was instantly going to be the player he was, I just didn't get.
He would have come back slow, just like 98% of the players off a major knee injury, and that was before the latest problem.