PDA

View Full Version : Ross vs TT

G4L
09-01-2012, 12:20 AM
Could we have afforded to keep Ross with the money we just flushed away gambling that TT could return to form? I know TT's deal was heavy in incentives with little guarenteed and I don't know what kind of deal Ross took with the Jags. Ross definitely had his ups and downs but I would feel better with him on the roster now that TT is out.

RagTime Blue
09-01-2012, 12:23 AM
I've wondered the same thing, but it's a moot point. We couldn't afford both, so even JR looses a roll of the dice once in a while.

TheEnigma
09-01-2012, 12:24 AM
Ross signed a 3 year, $15 million deal with the Jags. That's a lot of money for Ross imo.

appodictic
09-01-2012, 12:26 AM
We would never have found enough $ to keep him. Hosely is a nice long term answer. Prince might still come to america and play.

Flip Empty
09-01-2012, 12:26 AM
Ross' contract gives him around $1 million more per year than what Thomas would be receiving.

JJC7301
09-01-2012, 12:29 AM
I liked Ross than most others, but it was a crap shoot with both of them IMO. Ross is injury prone as well. I think that TT was the better risk being that he wasn't going to cost as much.

DragonSoul
09-01-2012, 12:39 AM
I preferred Ross more than T2. And Ross always showed up in the playoffs. T2 made a few nice plays, but got burned quite a bit.

Toadofsteel
09-01-2012, 02:55 AM
The way Tryon and Coe (and Hosley before he got injured) stepped up this preseason, I'm not as worries as I was. We can do this.

BlueSanta
09-01-2012, 03:33 AM
Ross' contract gives him around $1 million more per year than what Thomas would be receiving.

T2 only makes 1 mil of his contract in the 1st season. It was designed that way so he could show his knee was healthy, and if it was not he could be cut without much expense to the team. However, his contact in the subsequent years goes up dramatically. Furthermore, you are incorrect about the 1 mil per year more than T2 because you aren't including the potential 11 extra mill T2's contract had in performance bonuses.

rainierjef
09-01-2012, 03:37 AM
The way Tryon and Coe (and Hosley before he got injured) stepped up this preseason, I'm not as worries as I was. We can do this.

i saw tyron got beat alot

GMan-67
09-01-2012, 04:34 AM
these boards crucified Ross ... easily the most hated player from last year thru midseason .... not only that, he was projected behind Webster, TT and Prince, so he decided why not make more $$$ and be a starter ...hard to blame him or the Giants

penguinfarmer
09-01-2012, 05:36 AM
It's not just about averaging the salaries. I don't think Giants could have afforded to pay Ross what he earns next year what he earns with the Jags when his cap hit swells to about 4mil whereas Thomas' is around 3 in a year where we need to resign other players.

Cornerbacks are expensive, the average salary of a #2 is about 5-6 mil. Giants were not going to pay that for a guy that was projected as 3 or 4, especially when they were teetering around the cap.

Ross played sufficiently last season when Giants desperately needed someone, but in the end of the day, he still was statistically poor as a corner. All of this wanting him back is purely speaking on hindsight. Everyone knows Thomas was worth the gamble.

Rat_bastich
09-01-2012, 06:03 AM
Ross was nothing more than an adequate fill in. There were a bunch of times he was out of position and a few times he got burned. There were also times he stepped it up. Very inconsistent. I definitely don't blame him for taking the money, especially since he had what he wanted in Super Bowl rings...the pinnacle of an NFL player's desire.

M00KIE
09-01-2012, 06:17 AM
I preferred Ross more than T2. And Ross always showed up in the playoffs. T2 made a few nice plays, but got burned quite a bit.

Yeah he did show up in the playoffs. Unfortunately that's the only time he showed up. His inconsistent play during the season contributed to a 9-7 record and almost missing the playoffs to begin with. Ross imo is just one of those guys that you can't over pay. You have no idea what you'll get on the field game to game. Regardless, it's done.

Tmurda1984
09-01-2012, 07:14 AM
Funny how people talk about Ross being an adequate fill in, but thats the point...He ACTUALLY FILLED IN. We gotta get rid of these injury proned cornerbacks so we can keep Rolle far from being a slot cover guy. We might as well sign Willie Blackmon back because this secondary is a mess just like our offensive line.

Redeyejedi
09-01-2012, 07:42 AM
Ross signed a 3 year, $15 million deal with the Jags. That's a lot of money for Ross imo. Rotoworld says 3 years 9.75 million. Not saying I care. Ross was 1 of the worst starting corners in the NFL last year.

buster55
09-01-2012, 07:58 AM
IMO Ross and TT did not play up to expectations considering they were both high draft picks. I like what Hosley has done and Prince has to stay on the field. Enough already stay on the field.

nhpgiantsfan
09-01-2012, 08:07 AM
T2 was not worth the gamble. I said it when they signed him. I got ripped apart here when I was begging for them to keep Ross and let T2 go. No, Ross wasn't that great, but he got the job done. We knew what we had with him. T2 was not that good. Everyone fell in love with the fact that he led the team in tackles, well that's not a stat that I want my CB to lead in. Now we are rolling the dice. I am sure the youngsters will be able to hold there own against the lesser teams, but how will they hold up against the Packers, saints, and other big offenses we have to play this year. I hope they are up to it.

jomo
09-01-2012, 09:34 AM
I believe the answer is no. TT's contract had a big number on it but as I understand, it was very defensive in favor of teh Giants. For example they have a $3m payment due in March which they obviously won't pay now. In the case of Ross, the current year hit to the cap is much greater.

Even if the answer were yes, monday morning quarterbacking these decisions never interested me much. Anyone can make the right decision after the fact........well almost anyone lol,

Gimaniac
09-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Coe is probably as good as Ross, and he's the backup to the backup. So why look back?

Rich4114
09-01-2012, 09:42 AM
Seeing Hosley on the field, he might be our eventual #1 in a year or two. That guy has top corner written all over him, just watch.

Not sure what to expect with Amukamara. I was really jacked when he fell to us that year but now I'm starting to think there was a good reason he fell. Hopefully he can get back out there soon because he's got a shot to secure the #2 CB spot if he can play well.

jomo
09-01-2012, 09:47 AM
Seeing Hosley on the field, he might be our eventual #1 in a year or two. That guy has top corner written all over him, just watch.

Not sure what to expect with Amukamara. I was really jacked when he fell to us that year but now I'm starting to think there was a good reason he fell. Hopefully he can get back out there soon because he's got a shot to secure the #2 CB spot if he can play well.I agree on Hosley and the Prince but would add the following. I tried hard this pre-season to focus on his play. What I saw were pretty decent skills against both the run and pass. He made some notable mistakes in coverage but mostly he looks quick, sticky and aggressive. I think he'll be at least good for us unless these injuries continue to plague him.

Tmurda1984
09-01-2012, 10:26 AM
There was a huge drop off after Patrick Peterson was selected at that position. Its still too early to give up on Prince (considering it took a little while for guys like Webster to develop) but Prince needs to step up soon tho. Im also Hosley becomes a solid contributor this season.

WEG313
09-01-2012, 10:39 AM
I'm at a loss where all this Ross love is coming from. He had a promising rookie season in 2008, but has woefully underperformed and been injury-proned ever since. IMO, he was NOT a quality NFL-caliber cornerback. No reason to believe Coe can not perform at least at par with Ross, even not better...and for far less money.

penguinfarmer
09-01-2012, 11:00 AM
Funny how people talk about Ross being an adequate fill in, but thats the point...He ACTUALLY FILLED IN. We gotta get rid of these injury proned cornerbacks so we can keep Rolle far from being a slot cover guy. We might as well sign Willie Blackmon back because this secondary is a mess just like our offensive line.

As if Ross was never injured himself?

penguinfarmer
09-01-2012, 11:04 AM
T2 was not worth the gamble. I said it when they signed him. I got ripped apart here when I was begging for them to keep Ross and let T2 go. No, Ross wasn't that great, but he got the job done. We knew what we had with him. T2 was not that good. Everyone fell in love with the fact that he led the team in tackles, well that's not a stat that I want my CB to lead in. Now we are rolling the dice. I am sure the youngsters will be able to hold there own against the lesser teams, but how will they hold up against the Packers, saints, and other big offenses we have to play this year. I hope they are up to it.

I'm sure very few wanted Thomas on the outside which still didn't change people wanting Thomas altogether. In his natural position, he adds another dimension to the defense that just is not common in the NFL. People need to stop comparing Ross and Thomas as if they are the same type of corner.

WEG313
09-01-2012, 11:08 AM

Since when did Ross hold his own against the elite passing offenses as Green Bay, New Orleans, Dallas or the Eagles? He got burned time and time again.

nhpgiantsfan
09-01-2012, 12:18 PM
Since when did Ross hold his own against the elite passing offenses as Green Bay, New Orleans, Dallas or the Eagles? He got burned time and time again.

First off, nobody could stop the Saints on this team last year. But from what I recall we swept the Cowboys, and beat the Packers when it counted most. I never said he was a probowler, I was just pointing out that he was adequate and that we could def win with him. I am not sold on these youngsters yet. And nobody has seen enough of them yet to say that they are convinced. I hope they make be
A believer out of me.

appodictic
09-01-2012, 03:03 PM
I'm at a loss where all this Ross love is coming from. He had a promising rookie season in 2008, but has woefully underperformed and been injury-proned ever since. IMO, he was NOT a quality NFL-caliber cornerback. No reason to believe Coe can not perform at least at par with Ross, even not better...and for far less money. Ross was just a rollercoaster. Gets benched one week, next week has two picks. Fought depression.
His career:
Helped up win SB in 2007, struggled with hammstring stuff, resurfaces in 2011 win another ring. Now he's gone for good. Its like Nirvana and plaxico was before nicks and cruz this year. Now that they are gone, they are the greatest ever:)