PDA

View Full Version : Should we "Strausberg" Hakeem Nicks?

giantsfan420
09-01-2012, 12:31 PM
not in that exact way, but you know keep him limited after returning from injury....

because the thought just crossed my mind that with nicks prior history of missing some time per season, and with the season being such a long grind, that we are actually very lucky JR has stacked the wr core. We may spell Nicks and give hims snap counts all season or most of the season...we certainly have the talent for it imo. i know u want a guy like nicks out there every snap, but the season is so long, it may make sense to streven strausberg him and make sure his work load is light, but enough to wear he can make a meaningful impact. Maybe make Cruz the theoretical #1 for a half the season or something i dunno...just NEED a healthy nicks all season and playoffs

edit-is there a way to edit the title of a thread? I would have just added this to the NFL.com article thread I made but I cannot edit the title

Marvelousmik
09-01-2012, 12:48 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/09/01/giants-wr-hakeem-nicks-will-play-wednesday-but-i-think-i-just-gotta-deal-with-the-pain/?module=HP11_headline_stack

This article scared me. I honestly wouldnt mind sitting nicks the first 6 weeks. Something about this injury doesnt sit too well with me. He's been injured before but this time it feels different.

jomo
09-01-2012, 12:59 PM
We only have 16 games and the schedule is brutal. There is no soft stretch in the season. I don't mind giving him and other starters a rest, late in games that are put away. That's just not going to happen that much this season.

giantsfan420
09-01-2012, 01:13 PM
we have the wr's tho where he doesnt need to go every snap. we could play him like 70% of the games, that way the mileage wont add up hopefully

ELI_Iz_God
09-01-2012, 01:16 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/09/01/giants-wr-hakeem-nicks-will-play-wednesday-but-i-think-i-just-gotta-deal-with-the-pain/?module=HP11_headline_stack

This article scared me. I honestly wouldnt mind sitting nicks the first 6 weeks. Something about this injury doesnt sit too well with me. He's been injured before but this time it feels different.

Use the short IR on him?

primetime
09-01-2012, 01:17 PM

It's a 16 week season, and you want to rest arguably our best offensive weapon? As everyone with eyes knows our schedule is brutal this season, so we need all our weapons healthy or not. This is football, you play hurt, just ask Bradshaw last season. It's unfortunate that Nicks has to play with pain, but he's a pro.

GMan-67
09-01-2012, 01:24 PM
if he is cleared to play, the he plays ... ask any football player if their body feels the same as it did when they were in high school

SuperNYGiants
09-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Nonsense, it's not as if Nicks plays every down to begin with, the starters get a rest during every game to keep their performance level at the peak, what OP is suggesting is same as asking Eli to sit down a game or two, which is absurd. Do you even realize how hard it is to win NFL games? We need everything out of the starters every week, there's no room for anything less.

GeoGoGo
09-01-2012, 01:39 PM
He has missed 6 games in 3 years! What are you people thinking? He is not injury prone. He is our best offensive weapon. You do not rest him, not with this schedule. It is a rough game, things happen. He will be fine.

Bring on the Cowboys!

giantsfan420
09-01-2012, 01:42 PM
i never said to sit him. i am saying we should limit his snaps slightly in hopes that he can play the entire season and playoffs. he's coming off a broken foot. he's been hurt every season w/o an offseason injury like this.
just thinking out loud tho, i can def understand why anyone wouldnt want to. but again, im not saying bench him or play him half. im saying maybe 75% of his normal snaps, let barden/randle/hixon/jj all rotate in on top of 3rd wr duties, and maybe he stays fresher and makes an even bigger impact.
i mean we do this with our de's bc we have the depth. well imo we finall have the depth to be able to do that with the wr's

Sundown
09-01-2012, 01:44 PM
Some of y'all worry to much. These athletes play injured all season. He'll probably miss a few games spread out through the season but that's what quality depth is all about.

GameTime
09-01-2012, 01:47 PM
he broke a bone in his foot......what am I missing about some mysterious issue with it???
Shut him down?? The Giants always takes preciautions in practice with their "nicked" up players.
Don't know what all the fuss is about

giantsfan420
09-01-2012, 02:54 PM
no not shut him down at all. maybe play him like 80 % of the snaps. We have the depth now where we can afford to do that. maybe they can check past seasons and develop some sort of snap count formula that reduced chance of missing games while still impacting the game and being himself.

we do it with our de's bc we have the depth to do so. well we have that now with the wr's. i'd bet we see nicks go to the sidelines a little more often

Rat_bastich
09-01-2012, 03:22 PM
The only time I would sit Nicks down is if the Giants are blowing someone out and it doesn't look like they are slowing down. Otherwise, keep the man on the field. Maybe give him a series or two off. If the running game takes off at some point this season, he'll get his rest. Maybe I formation and sub him out or something.

rainierjef
09-01-2012, 04:14 PM
gain big leads and hold them rest your injury hampered starters in the 4th if we're up 14 points on the boys in the beginning of the fourth put randle in let him and cruz do damage

Eliscruzzz
09-01-2012, 04:38 PM
No way! He missed one game last year and he said he's ready to go. If he said I'm ready to play let him play ,I'm sure he is not out there very play anyway so he'll be alright . It's pretty tough to ask your best WR to sit a series or two. Then you take into account that Cruz feeds off his double coverage and someone has yet to step up as #3 you kinda of have to play him as much as you can, even though we look pretty stacked at wr there are still people with something to prove and Nicks also probably wants to prove he is the best wr on this team.

JesseJames
09-01-2012, 06:07 PM
I don't understand where this is all coming from, all last week Nicks has said his foot feels fine and now all I read is that he has pain and it will have to be managed. Is this all true or media hype because of the upcoming game with the Cowboys..

Diamondring
09-01-2012, 07:10 PM
He doesn't need to play. We have others to take his place and he should come back in 3 weeks.

RagTime Blue
09-01-2012, 07:16 PM
The thing is that there's no guarantee that 3, 5, or 8 weeks off will do any good anyway.

He just has to constantly communicate with the coaches and training staff, and when the pain affects his play, then be smart enough to "tap-out".

GameTime
09-01-2012, 07:17 PM
He doesn't need to play. We have others to take his place and he should come back in 3 weeks.
so the Giants dont need to be full strength to beat the cowboys. 16 games in a tough sched and a div game. He is needed.