PDA

View Full Version : Record Breaker Season

bleedinblue27
12-13-2011, 01:07 PM
Eli is working on a few, for passing yards a 4th qtr TD's
2 WR w/ 1000 yard seasons
1 WR (Cruuuuuuz) about to break Toomers all time receiving.
What else............
oh and by the way, this weeks playoff picture looks so much better then last week!!
IN THE HUNT TO DIVISION LEADER!!
skipping over the wild card!! just awesome!!
looking forward, forgetting the past!! BRING ON THE REDSKINS!!! LAST THREE GAMES AT HOME..........."F" THE JETS!!

MikeIsaGiant
12-13-2011, 01:09 PM
I want to go 3-0 the rest of the season, that'd be the only thing I want this season. I want to beat the Jets, even if we hypothetically won the super bowl and lost to the Jets in the process of that, the Jets will still bring that game up, because they are just ******bags

bleedinblue27
12-13-2011, 01:21 PM
I want to go 3-0 the rest of the season, that'd be the only thing I want this season. I want to beat the Jets, even if we hypothetically won the super bowl and lost to the Jets in the process of that, the Jets will still bring that game up, because they are just ******bags
HOW TRUE!
i still here about this years preseason game 17-3.....please it was preseason!!
when my buddies start ranting about the jets, i start rubbing my ring finger,... they get all pissed!! LOL!!

hungrrrry
12-13-2011, 01:26 PM
Alot of the passing records going on for Eli and the rest of the league is a result of the recent rule changes over the past few years pushing the balance of football skillsets toward the passing-type football game. It is not an anomoly that the role of the running back is being more often reduced. Rules protecting defenseles receivers and where you are allowed to tackle the QB Waist to the top of the shoulders...don't forget, alot less actual tackling in practices means bad form/less tackling in games.
The NFL is making it so soccer player can now play American football....pansies

NJBLUEBLOOD
12-13-2011, 01:29 PM
Six times this year the Giants have won a game in which they trailed or were tied in the fourth quarter (a franchise record).</P>

Brandon Jacobsí two rushing touchdowns increased his career total to 56, breaking Tiki Barberís franchise record of 55.</P>

Manningís 4,105 yards passing yards this season is a career-high and team-record.</P>

Manning now has 21 300-yard games, tying him with Phil Simms for the Giants record.</P>

Manning started his 116th consecutive regular season game to tie former Philadelphia quarterback Ron Jaworski for third among quarterbacks in NFL history. Only Brett Favre (297) and Peyton Manning (208) have started more consecutive regular season games.</P>

TuckYou
12-13-2011, 01:31 PM
Manning had his 3rd 400 yard game of the season, tying him with Dan Marino for a season record.</P>

JPP is the first Giant to have a forced fumble, 2 sacks and a blocked FG in a game. </P>

SweetZombieJesus
12-13-2011, 01:37 PM
Breaking Marino's single season passing record (along with 3 other guys but nonetheless)

SweetZombieJesus
12-13-2011, 01:39 PM
JPP is the first Giant to have a forced fumble, 2 sacks and a blocked FG in a game.

and a safety

NoHuddle10
12-13-2011, 01:39 PM
Everyone likes to blame the new rules as being the main reason passing games in the NFL have done better than in the past.

Am I the only one who thinks this is just a small part of the reason for the increased passing numbers?

I think QB's in general are now much better than in the past. I also think receivers are much better. I think tight ends are much better. I think guys like Marino showed just how effective a passing game can be. I think passing the ball effectively is clearly the easiest way to gain big chunks of yardage at a time. I also think offensive gameplans have focused more on passing the ball.

I think every factor listed above plays as big of a role if not a bigger role than the rule changes.

Rule change has affected overall numbers to a small degree, but only combined with the other factors mentioned do you see the clear cut differences....

hungrrrry
12-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Everyone likes to blame the new rules as being the main reason passing games in the NFL have done better than in the past.

Am I the only one who thinks this is just a small part of the reason for the increased passing numbers?

I think QB's in general are now much better than in the past. I also think receivers are much better. I think tight ends are much better. I think guys like Marino showed just how effective a passing game can be. I think passing the ball effectively is clearly the easiest way to gain big chunks of yardage at a time. I also think offensive gameplans have focused more on passing the ball.

I think every factor listed above plays as big of a role if not a bigger role than the rule changes.

Rule change has affected overall numbers to a small degree, but only combined with the other factors mentioned do you see the clear cut differences....4 QBs have the potential to break the record this season and the rules change alot this season...of course it is the rules...when Brees was close last year (I believe it was) I thought it was amazing and I thought, "that was his best chance, probably won't get that close again"...now, not so much my thinking. But I think it would be cool if Eli could break it this year with those guys!

NoHuddle10
12-13-2011, 02:00 PM

Rule change has affected overall numbers to a small degree, but only combined with the other factors mentioned do you see the clear cut differences....4 QBs have the potential to break the record this season and the rules change alot this season...of course it is the rules...when Brees was close last year (I believe it was) I thought it was amazing and I thought, "that was his best chance, probably won't get that close again"...now, not so much my thinking. But I think it would be cool if Eli could break it this year with those guys!

I think it just so happens that this year the 4 best qbs in the league play on teams with average/below average defenses and average run games. In our case, well below average.

I think the 4 QB's that are chasing the record are all top 10ish qbs of all time. Again I might get blasted for this, but its just my opinion. Put Eli, Rodgers, Brady, and Brees on the Dolphins team that set the record, and I still think the record is the same.

Just my opinion. Time will give us a more clear picture. I think there just so happens to be 4-7 amazing QB's in the league right now. Time will tell if my opinion is correct.

However, I think when Brady, Brees, Rodgers, the Manning brothers, Rothlisberger, and maybe one or two others retire, you will see the numbers come back down closer to the standard. I also think all 6 of the QB's mentioned above get HOF tickets. I dont see any young guys in the NFL even close to that level. Maybe Cam Newton gets there one day, but he definitely isnt there yet.

I also think the 2004 QB class will go down as the greatest of all time. It happened during a time when we already had Brady and the older Manning in the league. It is rare to have 6 qbs of this talent level around.

Roosevelt
12-13-2011, 02:23 PM

Rule change has affected overall numbers to a small degree, but only combined with the other factors mentioned do you see the clear cut differences....

I don't know how we could quantify which part is rule changes and which is the progression of the sport as well as the athlete.

But you have a point. Everything is so specialized today with no stone left uncovered when it comes to physical and mental preparation.

Years ago quarterbacks would just go out and sling it. Not any more.

NoHuddle10
12-13-2011, 02:29 PM

I don't know how we could quantify which part is rule changes and which is the progression of the sport as well as the athlete.

But you have a point.* Everything is so specialized today with no stone left uncovered when it comes to physical and mental preparation.

Years ago quarterbacks would just go out and sling it.* Not any more.

I totally agree with you here sir. No doubt about it.

Dont get me wrong, the rule changes play a big factor as well. But there are a TON of other factors that play into the increase in passing numbers.