PDA

View Full Version : Petrus Waived

Redeyejedi
09-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Ralph Vacchiano ‏@RVacchianoNYDN
The Giants claimed T D.J. Jones off waivers from the Philadelphia Eagles. He takes Petrus' spot. #NYG

kbusch22
09-01-2012, 02:32 PM
I'm guessing that means Cordle is now the primary backup interior lineman.

Eli TO Shockey
09-01-2012, 02:33 PM

sad...he looked like a very promising player last year.

hugehomer
09-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Senior offensive tackle D.J. Jones was a fixture in the Nebraska offensive line during the 2010 season, helping Nebraska produce outstanding offensive numbers. The 6-5, 310-pound Jones held down the right tackle spot, and was part of an offensive line that started intact throughout the 2010 campaign.
The line allowed Nebraska to lead the Big 12 in rushing offense, and produce three players with at least 900 rushing yards. Jones played both guard and tackle during his NU career, but settled in at tackle in 2010 and had to handle the bulk of the load on the right side with Marcel Jones sidelined much of the season by injury. Jones graduated with a degree in communications in May of 2010 and spent his senior season working toward a masterís degree.

Eli TO Shockey
09-01-2012, 02:34 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14575/dj-jones

hes a mountain of a man.

nhpgiantsfan
09-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Wow. A lot of posters had him starting over Boothe earlier this year. Gonna be a lot of crying in this thread.

Redeyejedi
09-01-2012, 02:39 PM
I dont know what went wrong with petrus but he was not the same player this season

Mod_C
09-01-2012, 02:44 PM
This really can't be a surprise based on the preseason results we witnessed. I've never heard of Jones but I hope he was one of those players the Eagles wanted to put on the practice squad. I hope he can get up to speed quickly, even for depth.

NYG4lifeNYK
09-01-2012, 02:45 PM
I dont know what went wrong with petrus but he was not the same player this season

WOW.......... no kidding.... this is shocking news... damn it

fletch842
I always thought he was average at best.

NYG4lifeNYK
This really can't be a surprise based on the preseason results we witnessed. I've never heard of Jones but I hope he was one of those players the Eagles wanted to put on the practice squad. I hope he can get up to speed quickly, even for depth.

Oh was it not Greg Jones?

Jones who? lol

giantsfan420
09-01-2012, 02:46 PM
he just couldnt pass block. and unfortunately for him, that aint cutting it here

Redeyejedi
09-01-2012, 02:48 PM
This really can't be a surprise based on the preseason results we witnessed. I've never heard of Jones but I hope he was one of those players the Eagles wanted to put on the practice squad. I hope he can get up to speed quickly, even for depth.Go erase the Greg Jones thread before I start a rumor. Read the tweet wrong

appodictic
09-01-2012, 02:56 PM
With booth and Petrus in last year we looked much better running then with Bass, but this pre-season he really stunk it up. As Jacobs said "I don't feel bad for you"

grapenut
09-01-2012, 03:32 PM
This guy is a classic under performer, he was carried last year by his line mates, no pass blocking skills, needs to be a 3rd backup on a run only scheme.

jomo
09-01-2012, 03:36 PM
Ralph Vacchiano ‏@RVacchianoNYDN
The Giants claimed T D.J. Jones off waivers from the Philadelphia Eagles. He takes Petrus' spot. #NYGI hope that Jones can help us. Petrus sets a mighty low bar for him to get over.

CowboysSuck
09-01-2012, 03:44 PM
I wonder what happened to him, like..did he eat too many donuts this spring? Or was i just fooling myself thinking he was a decent prospect last year? In any event, he really sucked this year and I'm frankly not surprised by this. Here's to hoping DJ JONES can get it done

LB5656
09-01-2012, 03:55 PM
I wonder what happened to him, like..did he eat too many donuts this spring? Or was i just fooling myself thinking he was a decent prospect last year? In any event, he really sucked this year and I'm frankly not surprised by this. Here's to hoping DJ JONES can get it done

It's a big mystery that I hope we can find out. I feel like either he showed up out of shape, or he's gotta be injured. I've never seen a young guy regress like that.

Snappinnecks
09-01-2012, 03:55 PM
God damn we can't evaluate OL talent for sh*t! That last guy we drafted that was good is Snee and he's only got a few more years left to be really effective. Reese and company better find better scouts or this team is going to sink FAST!

born blue
09-01-2012, 04:15 PM
I'm guessing that means Cordle is now the primary backup interior lineman.I think this means that Cordle is the ONLY backup interior lineman

CowboysSuck
09-01-2012, 04:23 PM
I think this means that Cordle is the ONLY backup interior lineman

What about Boothe? Or is he now starting?

sorry i dont follow the O line as much as i should..

DownWitJPP
09-01-2012, 04:28 PM
What about Boothe? Or is he now starting?

sorry i dont follow the O line as much as i should..

Boothe is now our starting left guard

born blue
09-01-2012, 04:30 PM
What about Boothe? Or is he now starting? sorry i dont follow the O line as much as i should..

As of now, I think our starters are:
LT- Beatty/Locklear (depending on Beatty's back)
LG- Boothe
C- Bass
RG- Snee
RT-Diehl

Backups:
T- Beatty/Locklear
T- Brewer
T- Jones (just signed off waivers)
G/C- Cordle

CowboysSuck
09-01-2012, 04:31 PM
Ok that makes sense.. I was always a big fan of Boothe anyway; It seemed like everytime he was in the lineup our line blocked a lot better

CowboysSuck
09-01-2012, 04:32 PM
btw iv'e never been high on David Baas; The guy has severely underachieved in my opinion.

DownWitJPP
09-01-2012, 04:34 PM
btw iv'e never been high on David Baas; The guy has severely underachieved in my opinion.

agreed, but last year he was dealing with some injuries that they never mentioned. I hope he's much improved from what he was last year

Antwuan
09-01-2012, 04:36 PM
Good Luck Mitch Petrus, Welcome D.J. Jones.

SweetZombieJesus
09-01-2012, 05:04 PM
WTF with the Eagles retirees? Both Andrews brothers and now this?

slipknottin
09-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Petrus was awful last year too. He plays like his feet are stuck in concrete.

I would guess DJ Jones is going to be tried out at guard. Boothe was a college OT as well, and the giants moved him inside with very positive results.

slipknottin
09-01-2012, 05:57 PM
WTF with the Eagles retirees? Both Andrews brothers and now this?

Retirees? DJ Jones is 24 and only came into the league last year.

Flip Empty
09-01-2012, 06:12 PM
Had to keep the DJ quotient up.

RagTime Blue
09-01-2012, 07:39 PM

I suspect Diehl would contribute there as well.

TheEnigma
09-01-2012, 07:43 PM
Reese needs to stop being "cute" with his OL selections. All of them so far have very little experience at the position and are usually converted from another position. Grab some versatile college kids who have many years of experience and are known for being technicians so we don't have to wait 3+ years for them to start or being cut from the team like Petrus.

speedman
09-01-2012, 07:56 PM
Didn't Petrus play left guard last year

G.I. Ants
09-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Petrus was looking terrible in that last game, I didn't think they would waive him though.

Toadofsteel
09-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Had to keep the DJ quotient up.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-fdRoLut9pl4/UDubR6S4HMI/AAAAAAAAHoQ/oVVuUUcOzQ8/s400/DJ%252BMartin.png

giantyankee1976
09-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Mitch never seemed to wow enough for my tastes...initially thought he was a mauler but...

I think it sucks that the O Line is getting the attention "now" though.

Seems a bit too little too late to me.

BigBlue2010
09-01-2012, 10:04 PM

He got married.

jomo
09-01-2012, 10:33 PM
Terrible.............Wish the kid well but good God we need MUCH better.

appodictic
09-01-2012, 11:30 PM
WTF with the Eagles retirees? Both Andrews brothers and now this? The andrews brothers gave us effective service. They are the lone good thing that ever came out of philly with the exception of cheese steaks

Cool Papa B.
09-01-2012, 11:43 PM
Reese needs to stop being "cute" with his OL selections. All of them so far have very little experience at the position and are usually converted from another position. Grab some versatile college kids who have many years of experience and are known for being technicians so we don't have to wait 3+ years for them to start or being cut from the team like Petrus.

+1...
And I know that Eli is one of the most durable QBs in the league, but Reese should be a little worried about his protection. I like the left side with Locklear and Boothe, but geez the OLine is extremely thin.

nycsportzfan
09-02-2012, 12:22 AM
i thought for sure petrus was gonna be a steal in the 5th rd of the draft we got him in.. Oh well, i thought Jim Cordle someone that could make the team as a UDF and have high hopes for him.. He'll be next in line of Reese great finds...

slipknottin
09-02-2012, 01:07 AM

Theres a massive list of guys who were "technicians" in college and were complete failures in the NFL. Petrus had the skill set to be a good guard. But he never could put it together.