PDA

View Full Version : GIANTS' ANTREL ROLLE DEFLECTS BLAME IN SECONDARY'S BREAKDOWN SUNDAY NIGHT

RoanokeFan
12-13-2011, 02:57 PM
GIANTS' ANTREL ROLLE DEFLECTS BLAME IN SECONDARY'S BREAKDOWN SUNDAY NIGHT (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2011/12/giants_antrel_rolle_deflects_b.html)

"On Sunday night, the Giants miraculously emerged victorious after overcoming
a 12-point deficit with 5:41 remaining in a must-win game against the rival
Cowboys. And to do so, Eli Manning needed to engineer two brilliant drives after
the <a href="http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2011/12/giants_pass_coverage_proves_pr.html">Giants
secondary was victimized for a 50-yard touchdown after another breakdown in
coverage</a>.

On the play, there was some miscommunication between cornerback Corey Webster
and safety Antrel Rolle. Webster released Bryant assuming Rolle was going to
help out over the top. But Rolle jumped on an underneath route, leaving Bryant
wide open. </p>

In his weekly Tuesday radio interview on WFAN, Rolle deflected blame on the
play, saying "I was exactly where I was supposed to be" on Bryant's
touchdown.</p>

"Iím not saying I donít make mistakes, because I do, but Iím going to be
where Iím supposed to be," Rolle said.</p>

The safety also blamed fans and commentators for jumping to conclusions
without knowing what they're talking about.</p>

"At the end of the day, there are just fans out there that don't understand
the ins and outs of football," Rolle said. </p>

"[Commentators] always want to point the finger like they know what theyíre
talking about, but they donít half the time," Rolle added, saying he was
speaking for players across the league. </p>

At the same time, Rolle said he knows everyone needs to be in sync every
play.</p>

"In order for us to get to where we want to get to, we need to be on the same
page at the same time."</p>

He added, "I'm not talking about the offense, I'm talking about the defense.
The offense has been saving us."</p>

Rolle said he cares about what fans and other people say about him because "I
take pride in my play."</p>

Some other bits from the interview:</p>

-- Rolle refused to comment on Ahmad Bradshaw and his suspension.</p>

-- Rolle said he's Jason Pierre-Paul's biggest fan and that the second-year
defensive end should definitely be in Hawaii for the Pro Bowl.</p>

"I don't see anyone playing better than him, and that's across the league,"
he said. He's definitely the MVP of our defense, hands down."</p>

-- Rolle called Eli Manning "elite" and said his opinion of the quarterback
was cemented when in an interview Manning said he'd rather have the ball with
the game on the line than watching the other team have the ball in that
situation.</p>

"That dude, man, you can say whatever you say about him, No. 26 is No. 10's
biggest fan at the end of the day," he said.</p>

--As for this weekend against the Redskins, Rolle said he wouldn't guarantee
a win, but he didn't "plan" on losing either. When the interviewer brought up
Rolle's quote from earlier in the season after the Giants fell in the home
opener in Washington when Rolle said the Giants would beat the Redskins 95 out
of a 100 times, Rolle corrected him and said it was 99, not 95.</p>
After doing some careful math, it's then mathematically impossible for the
Giants to lose Sunday. But you didn't hear it from me."

titwio
12-13-2011, 03:26 PM

After reading this I lol'd....I could just imagine Rolle saying what he said and him afterward going, doh!

TuckYou
12-13-2011, 03:34 PM
After doing some careful math, it's then mathematically impossible for the Giants to lose Sunday. But you didn't hear it from me." After reading this I lol'd....I could just imagine Rolle saying what he said and him afterward going, doh!</P>

Actually he is wrong. They could lose this one, then win the next 198 games vs the redskins, which would mean the Giants win 99 of 100. </P>

Pakman
12-13-2011, 03:38 PM
Rolle says "at the end of the day" way to many damn times.

BlueSanta
12-13-2011, 03:40 PM

"at the end of the day, there are just fans out there that don't understand the ins and outs of football," Rolle said.
</p>

Its when he says stuff like this that upsets people.

People are smart enough to know that either he or Cweb made a mistake that should never happen. This is plain as day from the tape and its condescending to say people "dont know what they are talking about."

People are also smart enough to know Dez Bryant isnt supposed to be running alone uncovered in our defensive backfield. Mistakes happen but its late in the season and its not like this mistake happened by some rookie or recent aquisition. It happened by the 2 DBs who have spent the most time in the system. By the 2 Dbs who make more money than all the rest combined. So get over youself rolle, man up, admit you guys messed up and say "it wont happen again", and dont let it happen again.

titwio
12-13-2011, 03:51 PM
After doing some careful math, it's then mathematically impossible for the Giants to lose Sunday. But you didn't hear it from me." After reading this I lol'd....I could just imagine Rolle saying what he said and him afterward going, doh!</P>

Actually he is wrong. They could lose this one, then win the next 198 games vs the redskins, which would mean the Giants win 99 of 100. </P>

Wouldn't that mean 198 of 200?

TuckYou
12-13-2011, 03:56 PM

Wouldn't that mean 198 of 200?</P>

198/200ths is equal to 99/100ths. Same thing, just 2x as long a time frame.</P>

stormblue
12-13-2011, 04:01 PM
even tho he probably shouldn't have said it..
i don't doubt the validity of his statement.

webster always has a couple games per year with 2 pics and shuts people down.

but the rest of the time he is always 5 yards away from whoever he covers...or blows the coverage.

he is better at man to man than zone cuz
he really doesn't understand his assignments or geddit.
the playbook i mean.

i guess that's as polite as i can put it.

titwio
12-13-2011, 04:04 PM

Wouldn't that mean 198 of 200?</P>

198/200ths is equal to 99/100ths. Same thing, just 2x as long a time frame.</P>

I know what your saying but if only 100 games comes into question then 200 games shouldn't be part of the equation....

Man I hate math...How did I get involved here...lol

Roswell777
12-13-2011, 04:08 PM
How about if Rolle talks to his D more than he talks to the press?

Mod_C
12-13-2011, 04:08 PM

After reading this I lol'd....I could just imagine Rolle saying what he said and him afterward going, doh!

I think his saying that he didn't "plan to lose to the Redskins" was OK.

ryan12
12-13-2011, 04:50 PM

awesome sig tuck you

BigBlueFanNJ
12-13-2011, 06:05 PM
i wish he'd deflect some passes instead of running his mouth and deflecting blame...

DragonSoul
12-13-2011, 06:11 PM
rolle needs to STFU, take responsibility and for GODS sake stop TALKING. Only reason you are not being taken out to be shot or tarred and feathered is because #10 saved your ***, as did th offense & JPP. I have no doubt your their biggest fans as they are saving your ***.

God stop the talk already. Talk is cheap. action speak louder then words!

gmen46
12-13-2011, 06:38 PM

"at the end of the day, there are just fans out there that don't understand the ins and outs of football," Rolle said.
</p>

Its when he says stuff like this that upsets people.

People are smart enough to know that either he or Cweb made a mistake that should never happen. This is plain as day from the tape and its condescending to say people "dont know what they are talking about."

People are also smart enough to know Dez Bryant isnt supposed to be running alone uncovered in our defensive backfield. Mistakes happen but its late in the season and its not like this mistake happened by some rookie or recent aquisition. It happened by the 2 DBs who have spent the most time in the system. By the 2 Dbs who make more money than all the rest combined. So get over youself rolle, man up, admit you guys messed up and say "it wont happen again", and dont let it happen again.

I found nothing wrong with what he said.

He didn't whine, didn't boast.

He essentially said there was mis communication on the Bryant TD, which obviously was the case. Another way of saying it was what he said--1 DB thought the called defense was one thing, the other DB thought it was another.

Not given as an excuse, just that it was what it appeared to be--an unforced error by the secondary.

And he didn't say "people"--as in ALL people--"don't know what they are talking about". He said "there are just fans who don't know". As in, some fans don't really know what they are talking about in certain situations. Different implication and statement.

And he's right. Hell, we see it here on the MB all the time and sweep it away with "hey, this a forum for opinions, I can express my opinions".

JMFP2
12-13-2011, 06:44 PM
"At the end of the day, there are just fans out there that don't understand the ins and outs of football," Rolle said.

I'm certainly no expert, but I could tell the Cowboys, Packers, Saints, Eagles, and 49ers were running "ins and outs" without a shred of resistance from the Giants defense.

They did it at the beginning of the day, in the middle of the day, and yes, at the end of the day.

Other teams have beaten this defense so many ****ing times, so many ways, it reads like a Dr. Seuss book.

At the end of the day.....Defense Ranked #30 in the NFL......Rolle needs to put his money where his mouth is these next 3 games, because he's not making any plays, either.