PDA

View Full Version : Spags To The Rescue?

Giants-NJ
12-13-2011, 03:09 PM
I was wondering if anyone else on this board thinks that we should fire Fewell at the end of the season and bring back Spags to rebuild our defense?

Seducer
12-13-2011, 03:11 PM
We live in the past far too much.

Moss#83
12-13-2011, 03:13 PM
I was wondering if anyone else on this board thinks that we should fire Fewell at the end of the season and bring back Spags to rebuild our defense?He is employed with the Rams.

BK07071
12-13-2011, 03:32 PM
I was wondering if anyone else on this board thinks that we should fire Fewell at the end of the season and bring back Spags to rebuild our defense?

Nothing would be better ! However what makes you think that Spags is goin g to get fired this year? If he does, don't you think that Lurie from the Eagles will try and grab him for the head coach's position if he fires Reid? Spags played for the Eagles for years and was Johnson's assistant and linebackers coach for several years. Seeing his old team in dire straits may convince him to go to the Eagles if he gets fired.

FIFTY6G-MAN
12-13-2011, 03:48 PM
First and foremost, Spags probably will not get fired by the rams after this season, (would love if he did) secondly, if TC is here still.....so is Fewell and KG. TC is way to protective of his staff, take a look at our special teams coach and that fact is blatant. I would love to have Spags back but our personell (player wise) are also different so that might not be what we need to get back to our type of D.Too many differentials going on. Now if we could justsomehow get our 2007 D back and forward them onto this season without aging them I would do it, actually make that our 1986 D!!!

Giants-NJ
12-13-2011, 03:55 PM
I do not think Spags is a great head coach. However, he is pretty darn good as a defensive coordinator. I think the Rams will get rid of him after this season. Just my thoughts...

stormblue
12-13-2011, 03:57 PM
'08 rams 28th rank def.
'09 rams 19th rank def
'10 rams 19th rank def
'11 rams 25th rank def (currently)

so whats to write home about ?

repeatchamps
12-13-2011, 04:00 PM
'08 rams 28th rank def. '09 rams 19th rank def '10 rams 19th rank def '11 rams 25th rank def (currently) so whats to write home about ?</P>

Got to have the horses too.</P>

barran21
12-13-2011, 04:04 PM
If the Giants make the Playoffs expect our worst nightmare, Spags in Philly.

UK-Giantsfan
12-13-2011, 04:08 PM
TC
Gilbride
Spags

that would be ok !

Pakman
12-13-2011, 04:17 PM
If the Giants make the Playoffs expect our worst nightmare, Spags in Philly.

I heard that in the morning. Joe and Evan said that is definitely where he will end up next season. I don't really care for what any type of analyst say but I really see this happening.

NFCEastBeast
12-13-2011, 04:19 PM
this is a very realistic possibility, probably way less than 50% it acutally happens but still very possible. If the giants miss the playoffs and spags does get fired (which i think he should, time to part ways. just a mess of a roster in saint louis.) then how can you not endorse the giants making a serious push for him?

Mark my words the eagles will not pursue spags as their next head coach even if reid gets canned. clearly spags greatest value to an orginazation would be as a D coord and not a head coach.

stormblue
12-13-2011, 04:19 PM
'08 rams 28th rank def. '09 rams 19th rank def '10 rams 19th rank def '11 rams 25th rank def (currently) so whats to write home about ?</P>

Got to have the horses too.</P>

egg-zzzackly !!

ditto for perry fewell

our secondary is full of 1st and 2nd round wasted draft picks and overpayed free agent failures. they never know their assignments
on zone coverage and are too slow/unsavvy for man to man.

our linebackers can't cover or maintain a gap or tackle any one before they gain 4.7 yards.
yup thats right ..only 5 teams are worse in that category.

the d-line has JPP and a bunch of injured
used to be good when strahan was here wanna be's.

and i'm not sayin' perry fewell is or is not
the answer ; i'm just asking' how the heck would you know how could a coach is with this set of bums.

BigBlueOnes
12-13-2011, 04:20 PM
Pat Kirwan on Sirius said SHOULD Spags get fired, he's likely going to the Eagles as that's who Lurie and the FANS would welcome back in a heart beat. Not only as a HC, but most certainly as a DC should Reid stay, and they WILL cough up the money to make it happen. He's from the Johnson tree, knows the team and fans, and is respected. Then he said "Giants fans want him, but I'd not hold my breath, that chapter has been written"

britishblue2
12-13-2011, 04:20 PM
TC
Gilbride
Spags

that would be ok ! +1

oldgiantfan
12-13-2011, 04:25 PM
Pat Kirwan on Sirius said SHOULD Spags get fired, he's likely going to the Eagles as that's who Lurie and the FANS would welcome back in a heart beat. Not only as a HC, but most certainly as a DC should Reid stay, and they WILL cough up the money to make it happen. He's from the Johnson tree, knows the team and fans, and is respected. Then he said "Giants fans want him, but I'd not hold my breath, that chapter has been written"

So why don't we hire Reid as DC or put him up in the booths?

repeatchamps
12-13-2011, 04:38 PM
Pat Kirwan on Sirius said SHOULD Spags get fired, he's likely going to the Eagles as that's who Lurie and the FANS would welcome back in a heart beat. Not only as a HC, but most certainly as a DC should Reid stay, and they WILL cough up the money to make it happen. He's from the Johnson tree, knows the team and fans, and is respected. Then he said "Giants fans want him, but I'd not hold my breath, that chapter has been written"</P>

Pat Kirwan is the end all be all now? Why would he want to go back to Philly? Why does he have more incentive to go back there and not back here. If Reid is retained, what the heckis his incentive to go back to Philly? He will get the head coach job here sooner than he would in Philly. He knows the players and fansbetter in NY than in Philly.</P>

JesseJames
12-13-2011, 05:03 PM
Pat Kirwan on Sirius said SHOULD Spags get fired, he's likely going to the Eagles as that's who Lurie and the FANS would welcome back in a heart beat. Not only as a HC, but most certainly as a DC should Reid stay, and they WILL cough up the money to make it happen. He's from the Johnson tree, knows the team and fans, and is respected. Then he said "Giants fans want him, but I'd not hold my breath, that chapter has been written"</P>

Pat Kirwan is the end all be all now? Why would he want to go back to Philly? Why does he have more incentive to go back there and not back here. If Reid is retained, what the heck*is his incentive to go back to Philly? He will get the head coach job here sooner than he would in Philly. He knows the players and fans*better in NY than in Philly.</P>

agreed..

gumby742
12-13-2011, 05:05 PM

Let's revisit the talent they have on defense then. Oh and for the record, they have a better defense then we do - even with all that garbage talent they have.</P>

Drez
12-13-2011, 05:07 PM
I was wondering if anyone else on this board thinks that we should fire Fewell at the end of the season and bring back Spags to rebuild our defense?</P>

We won't need to fire Fewell; his contract is up at the end of the year.</P>

NFCEastBeast
12-13-2011, 05:11 PM
most of the scenarios that are brought up on these boards are just crazy and have zero chance of acutally happening. this one though is possible and realistic. it really is by no means out of the question.
1st things 1st though we need the rams to continue to tank and sprags to get canned.

giants > philly is spags eyes (I truely believe that unless they offer the head coaching job which would be very stupid imo becacuse hes much better suited as a D coord)

G-Man67
12-13-2011, 05:12 PM
you'd have to hire him as a head coach and he took a step back this year ... i hope for him the Rams give him another chance

dave56dj
12-13-2011, 05:14 PM
I know I know fans want the Giants to just blitz and play press man coverage and kill fewell for anything else. And while i dont think Fewells schemes (8 eyes on the balls) necessarily work for a team built to get home its also hard to say considering this:

Osi - out almost half the year
Tuck - PLaying at 50 percent at best.
Goff - Starting mlb gone for the year
Terrell Thomas - arguable best cb down the year
Bruce Johnson - potential nickel down the year
Witherspoon - potential nickel down the year
Coe - Potential nickel down the year
Prince - Potential nickel out most of the year.
Miles Austin - Potential rotational DT out the year.
Mark Herzlich - out 3 games.
Paysinger - Out 2 games.
Clint Sintim - Potential startng lb out the year
Justin Tryon - Potential nickel out the year.

If you really don't think this has affected Fewells schemes your not being fair. He is currently playing 2 guys who were on the couch weeks ago, including our STARTING MLB. And yes injuries are a part of the game but this is Unusually high. I'd give fewell another chance next year, hopefully with some help and a stud LB.

timmytimm3
12-13-2011, 05:44 PM
I know I know fans want the Giants to just blitz and play press man coverage and kill fewell for anything else. And while i dont think Fewells schemes (8 eyes on the balls) necessarily work for a team built to get home its also hard to say considering this:

Osi - out almost half the year
Tuck - PLaying at 50 percent at best.
Goff - Starting mlb gone for the year
Terrell Thomas - arguable best cb down the year
Bruce Johnson - potential nickel down the year
Witherspoon - potential nickel down the year
Coe - Potential nickel down the year
Prince - Potential nickel out most of the year.
Miles Austin - Potential rotational DT out the year.
Mark Herzlich - out 3 games.
Paysinger - Out 2 games.
Clint Sintim - Potential startng lb out the year
Justin Tryon - Potential nickel out the year.

If you really don't think this has affected Fewells schemes your not being fair. He is currently playing 2 guys who were on the couch weeks ago, including our STARTING MLB. And yes injuries are a part of the game but this is Unusually high. I'd give fewell another chance next year, hopefully with some help and a stud LB.

MARVIN Austin haha

I agree though. Our defense was playing well last year.

JMFP2
12-13-2011, 05:51 PM

I totally see this.....let's hope the Rams don't do anything foolish.

YATittle1962
12-13-2011, 09:54 PM

^ this

its hilarious how people think Spagnuolo could just magically make this defense good

Drez
12-13-2011, 10:27 PM
We live in the past far too much. ^ this its hilarious how people think Spagnuolo could just magically make this defense good</P>

I think he'd make this defense better. But, with all the injuries this year and lack of talent at LB, it'd be a hard task to make this year's defense good. </P>

hungrrrry
12-14-2011, 09:07 AM
I welcome Spags as Headcoach of the Eagles...we would be fine, divisionally!
I prefer Spags here as DC but I don't expect the Giants will get into a bidding war with the Eagles. Too cheap and not easily lured! However, you'd be hardpressed to find a better DC in the league right now, though he is less experienced..he is the sparkplug type of DC, where Fewell was billed as that but has not proven to be. Spags studies each play, in-game, which gives him a better ability to adjust at the half...Fewell never adjusts!
Fewell must walk after this season...or sooner!

MattMeyerBud
12-14-2011, 09:13 AM

So why don't we hire Reid as DC or put him up in the booths?

last thing I want is Andy Reid in charge of our offense.

Guy doesnt know how to run the ball at all.\

Only shot we got at Spags is if hes the new HC next year

RoanokeFan
12-14-2011, 09:30 AM
I welcome Spags as Headcoach of the Eagles...we would be fine, divisionally!
I prefer Spags here as DC but I don't expect the Giants will get into a bidding war with the Eagles. <font color="#0000FF">Too cheap</font> and not easily lured! However, you'd be hardpressed to find a better DC in the league right now, though he is less experienced..he is the sparkplug type of DC, where Fewell was billed as that but has not proven to be. Spags studies each play, in-game, which gives him a better ability to adjust at the half...Fewell never adjusts!
Fewell must walk after this season...or sooner!

On what do you base the assertion that the GIANTS are "cheap"?

RoanokeFan
12-14-2011, 09:34 AM

I think Pat Kirwan is a bright football mind and agree with many things he's said. However, to suggest that he would be welcomed back by Jeff Laurie as HC is a bit of a stretch. Spags has a dismal record as a HC and Laurie would not want him to continue in that fashion for two years in Eagleland. That he would be sought after and welcomed as their DC, or ours, is probably more likely.

But he's still in St. Louis so it's all academic, for now.

Firenugget
12-14-2011, 09:36 AM

+9999999999

BlueSanta
12-14-2011, 09:52 AM
'08 rams 28th rank def.
'09 rams 19th rank def
'10 rams 19th rank def
'11 rams 25th rank def (currently)

so whats to write home about ?

NYG 30th rank defense '11

And we have WAY more talent on our defense than the Rams have.....

kbusch22
12-14-2011, 09:56 AM
I'm not even sure it's a guarantee that Spags WANTS to be a DC. I'm sure he could latch on with a college team if he gets fired and no NFL HC offers come in.

BigBlueOnes
12-14-2011, 11:21 AM

Pat Kirwan is the end all be all now? Why would he want to go back to Philly? Why does he have more incentive to go back there and not back here. If Reid is retained, what the heckis his incentive to go back to Philly? He will get the head coach job here sooner than he would in Philly. He knows the players and fansbetter in NY than in Philly.</P>

THIS NEWS JUST IN!!!: Spags isn't a very good head coach. That's why. Also, I think it was insinuated the Eagles would pay more because they are in desperate need of a turnaround.

MattMeyerBud
12-14-2011, 11:23 AM
people said the same **** about Belichek after his stint in cleveland

the bottom line is that im not judging him on this year. He never had the talent and tried to make due and they got completely destroyed by injuries.

Spags will get another HC one day and hopfully in a better situation. Jesus or Tebow couldn't save that team

Ruttiger711
12-14-2011, 11:25 AM

the bottom line is that im not judging him on this year. He never had the talent and tried to make due and they got completely destroyed by injuries.

Spags will get another HC one day and hopfully in a better situation. Jesus or Tebow couldn't save that team

I thought Spags WAS jesus based on some of the talk here.

MattMeyerBud
12-14-2011, 11:28 AM

I thought Spags WAS jesus based on some of the talk here.

hell he did perform some miracles with our secondary in 07

nihan87
12-14-2011, 11:35 AM
I was wondering if anyone else on this board thinks that we should fire Fewell at the end of the season and bring back Spags to rebuild our defense?</P>

</P>

I loved Spags, but honestly, when has bringing someone back or going back to someone ever work the way it did prior? </P>

I would love to get someone in here who can fire the D up and is hungry for sacks, take aways and 3 and outs. A young buck looking to make his mark with a defense and establish his name. I have no idea who this man is, but he is who I would want as our DC. </P>

MattMeyerBud
12-14-2011, 11:36 AM
sounds like u want spags actually...

elifan10
12-14-2011, 11:41 AM
If we hired Spags back it would be in the top 10 days of my life.

SweetZombieJesus
12-14-2011, 11:48 AM
I loved Spags, but honestly, when has bringing someone back or going back to someone ever work the way it did prior?

Bill Belichick rejoined Bill Parcells in New England in 1996 -- and they went to a Super Bowl. They moved to the Jets in 1997 and turned the team around going to an AFC CG. Belichick was named Jets head coach for 24 hours and left for New England, where he only won 3 of 4 Super Bowls they played in and are the team of the 2000s.

Pat Riley also won a championship when he returned to the coaching spot in Miami.

nihan87
12-14-2011, 11:55 AM
I loved Spags, but honestly, when has bringing someone back or going back to someone ever work the way it did prior?

Bill Belichick rejoined Bill Parcells in New England in 1996 -- and they went to a Super Bowl. They moved to the Jets in 1997 and turned the team around going to an AFC CG. Belichick was named Jets head coach for 24 hours and left for New England, where he only won 3 of 4 Super Bowls they played in and are the team of the 2000s.

Pat Riley also won a championship when he returned to the coaching spot in Miami.
</P>

</P>

Touche (wish i had that picture of the frog with the mustache!) </P>

I was kind of generalizing that statement. I mean, hell if he did come back and he blew **** up again I would be all for it. I just think the hype for Spags to come back and pick up where he left offis a bit too much right now. </P>

Tony Bruno
12-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Well its proven that he isnt a better HC... Id hope he comes back tso that we can see what he does with JPP!!!

Kruunch
12-14-2011, 03:43 PM

the bottom line is that im not judging him on this year. He never had the talent and tried to make due and they got completely destroyed by injuries.*

Don't use Tebow's name in vain ...

Drez
12-14-2011, 04:19 PM
I welcome Spags as Headcoach of the Eagles...we would be fine, divisionally! I prefer Spags here as DC but I don't expect the Giants will get into a bidding war with the Eagles. <FONT color=#0000ff>Too cheap</FONT> and not easily lured! However, you'd be hardpressed to find a better DC in the league right now, though he is less experienced..he is the sparkplug type of DC, where Fewell was billed as that but has not proven to be. Spags studies each play, in-game, which gives him a better ability to adjust at the half...Fewell never adjusts! Fewell must walk after this season...or sooner!

On what do you base the assertion that the GIANTS are "cheap"?
</P>

Particularly since we had already once made Spags one of the highest paid coordinators in the NFL.</P>

sc_markt
12-14-2011, 04:36 PM

If both Spags and Fewell were fired and Spags had no other head coaching jobs lined up, absolutely yes.

Drez
12-14-2011, 04:45 PM
I was wondering if anyone else on this board thinks that we should fire Fewell at the end of the season and bring back Spags to rebuild our defense? If both Spags and Fewell were fired and Spags had no other head coaching jobs lined up, absolutely yes.</P>

Fewell won't need to be fired. He's only under contract to through the end of this season.</P>

MattMeyerBud
12-14-2011, 05:03 PM
I was wondering if anyone else on this board thinks that we should fire Fewell at the end of the season and bring back Spags to rebuild our defense? If both Spags and Fewell were fired and Spags had no other head coaching jobs lined up, absolutely yes.</p>

Fewell won't need to be fired. He's only under contract to through the end of this season.</p>

really? I've never herad that before and can't find that anywhere

the real issue is can we outbid or out attract the Eagles

They are going to throw the house at him

Gianthunter
12-14-2011, 06:47 PM
I was wondering if anyone else on this board thinks that we should fire Fewell at the end of the season and bring back Spags to rebuild our defense? If both Spags and Fewell were fired and Spags had no other head coaching jobs lined up, absolutely yes.</P>

Fewell won't need to be fired. He's only under contract to through the end of this season.</P>

Fewell was signed to a 2 year contract

Drez
12-14-2011, 06:59 PM

</P>

<SPAN style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; WIDOWS: 2; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; DISPLAY: inline !important; FONT: 13px/20px Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: normal; ORPHANS: 2; FLOAT: none; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(68,78,92); WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px" class=Apple-style-span>I have the highlights from that spot for you. But real quick: according to someone informed of the terms of Fewell's contract, the former Bills interim head coach signed a two-year deal. The person, who requested anonymity and did not provide financial terms, said the Giants prefer to sign their coordinators to two-year contracts instead of three-year deals (like the one Jim Haslett recently signed with the Redskins). <FONT color=#000000 size=3 face="Times New Roman"></FONT></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; WIDOWS: 2; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; DISPLAY: inline !important; FONT: 13px/20px Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: normal; ORPHANS: 2; FLOAT: none; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(68,78,92); WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px" class=Apple-style-span><FONT size=3 face="Times New Roman">http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/01/ny_giants_defensive_coordinato_4.html</FONT> (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/01/ny_giants_defensive_coordinato_4.html)</SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; WIDOWS: 2; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; DISPLAY: inline !important; FONT: 13px/20px Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: normal; ORPHANS: 2; FLOAT: none; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(68,78,92); WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px" class=Apple-style-span><FONT color=#000000 size=3 face="Times New Roman">Yes, I think we can outbid the Eagles, if we so choose. We've already made him one of the highest paid coordinators when we extended him in '08. I see no reason that the FO wouldn't be as (if not more) generous now.</FONT></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; WIDOWS: 2; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; DISPLAY: inline !important; FONT: 13px/20px Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: normal; ORPHANS: 2; FLOAT: none; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(68,78,92); WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px" class=Apple-style-span><FONT color=#000000 size=3 face="Times New Roman">Can we out attract the Eagles? I don't know. We have the better offensive side of the ball (Eli definitely puts us over the top, and Jackson will not be an Eagle next year), andthe Eagles have some pretty big holes on the defensive side of the ball, too. </FONT></SPAN></P>

<SPAN style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; WIDOWS: 2; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; DISPLAY: inline !important; FONT: 13px/20px Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: normal; ORPHANS: 2; FLOAT: none; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(68,78,92); WORD-SPACING: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px" class=Apple-style-span><FONT color=#000000 size=3 face="Times New Roman">So, it'll be a matter of money and where Spags wants to coach. I know that he respects the hell out of TC, and remember hearing that he leaned on TC a bit for advice while he was still learning the ropes of being a HC. I don't know if he had that kind of relationship with Reid.</FONT></SPAN></P>