PDA

View Full Version : NFL Flex'ing Possibilities.....I Have No Idea......

BlueJayC
12-13-2011, 04:32 PM
Getting a little bit ahead of myself here but can anyone refresh me on the NFL game "flexing" rules.......don't they have to notify the flex'd market something like 12 days in advance?</P>

Currently don't see a night game scheduled for 1/1/12.....was just trying to determine if they leave this slot open for a flex'd game.....possibly NYG/DAL or if it's a New Years thing or what......also not sure if they'd possibly flex the Jets/Giants game seeing as it could be a crucial game for both team and both conferences.....though that'd mean they'd push the GB/CHI game up which I can't see happening.</P>

jhamburg
12-13-2011, 04:38 PM
Getting a little bit ahead of myself here but can anyone refresh me on the NFL game "flexing" rules.......don't they have to notify the flex'd market something like 12 days in advance?</P>

Currently don't see a night game scheduled for 1/1/12.....was just trying to determine if they leave this slot open for a flex'd game.....possibly NYG/DAL or if it's a New Years thing or what......also not sure if they'd possibly flex the Jets/Giants game seeing as it could be a crucial game for both team and both conferences.....though that'd mean they'd push the GB/CHI game up which I can't see happening.</P>

n/m

barran21
12-13-2011, 04:39 PM
I think Fox will stop them again....CBS and Fox has 2 chances each to veto NBC, Fox already veto NBC on Packers vs Giants, you think if the division is on the line they wouldn't veto NBC again?

bigblue5611
12-13-2011, 04:49 PM
i do know that flexing IS NOT in effect for christmas weekend....however, i dont know if there will be a 1/1 sun night game or not, or, if there is, if NBC would be permitted to again have dallas-ny for a second time in 1 season..?????????

barran21
12-13-2011, 04:55 PM
i do know that flexing IS NOT in effect for christmas weekend....however, i dont know if there will be a 1/1 sun night game or not, or, if there is, if NBC would be permitted to again have dallas-ny for a second time in 1 season..?????????

According to Mike Florio NBC is allowed to have the Giants/Cowboys again...

stormblue
12-13-2011, 05:06 PM
the last flex game ....week 17 only requires
a 6 day notice instead of the normal 12
because it is purposely reserved for the game with the most important playoff ramifications which obviously is not discernible until after the 12/26/11 monday night game between ATL and NO.

its not a typical flex swip-swap.....it won't even be announced until tuesday 12/27/11.
any game that last sunday of the regular season could be it.

there is no thursday game or MNF game in the last week.....everybody is scheduled to play sunday just to be sure we get the most
important game on sunday night 1/1/12

dallas @ giants.....!! ??

bigblue5611
12-13-2011, 05:18 PM
because it is purposely reserved for the game with the most important playoff ramifications which obviously is not discernible until after the 12/26/11 monday night game between ATL and NO.

its not a typical flex swip-swap.....it won't even be announced until tuesday 12/27/11.

there is no thursday game or MNF game in the last week.....everybody is scheduled to play sunday just to be sure we get the most

so CBS & FOX cant "protect" any games on the last Sunday??

NJBLUEBLOOD
Fox and CBS each may protect a total of five Sunday afternoon games, not more than one per week, during weeks 11-16 and NBC selcts which game they want to air. FOX and CBS cannot protect games in week 17. In years when Christmas falls on Sunday (like 2011) the NFL schedules most games for Saturday December 24 and then schedules a Sunday night game for NBC on Christmas night. Thus, flexible scheduling can not occur in week 16; NBC is then given flexible scheduling in week 10 instead. The week 17 game on Sunday night is decided exclusively by the NFL, with no restrictions; CBS and FOX cannot protect games, but NBC cannot pick its game. There are no restrictions on which game the NFL can select. Since 2010 when the NFL began scheduling only divisional matchups in week 17, it is possible an intradivisional game that appeared on national TV previously could be selected again. The NFL will only select such a game if there is no other suitable option.</P>

bigblue5611

thx

stormblue
12-13-2011, 05:31 PM

so CBS & FOX cant "protect" any games on the last Sunday??

nope they can't protect and NBC doesn't get to pick it either ; roger goodell and his cronies get to pick that one

stormblue
12-13-2011, 05:36 PM
@ NJBLUEBLOOD

sorry,
i'm a slow typer and yours wasn't there when i started.
funny i can beat the snot out of my les paul
with all these fingers just a flyin' everywhere.
can only use two fingers to type with and mipsell everything. lol .

miked1958
12-13-2011, 05:38 PM
the last flex game ....week 17 only requires a 6 day notice instead of the normal 12 because it is purposely reserved for the game with the most important playoff ramifications which obviously is not discernible until after the 12/26/11 monday night game between ATL and NO. its not a typical flex swip-swap.....it won't even be announced until tuesday 12/27/11. any game that last sunday of the regular season could be it. there is no thursday game or MNF game in the last week.....everybody is scheduled to play sunday just to be sure we get the most important game on sunday night 1/1/12 dallas @ giants.....!! ??</P>

Personally I dont think I can handle a winner take all game vs Dallas in PrimeTime that Sunday Night. I hope we wrap it up before then by us winning and them losing... </P>

I remember one of those type games years ago.. maybe like in mid to late 90s where we played Dallas in a winner take all type game that went to OT and we lost</P>

britishblue2
12-13-2011, 05:55 PM
the last flex game ....week 17 only requires a 6 day notice instead of the normal 12 because it is purposely reserved for the game with the most important playoff ramifications which obviously is not discernible until after the 12/26/11 monday night game between ATL and NO. its not a typical flex swip-swap.....it won't even be announced until tuesday 12/27/11. any game that last sunday of the regular season could be it. there is no thursday game or MNF game in the last week.....everybody is scheduled to play sunday just to be sure we get the most important game on sunday night 1/1/12 dallas @ giants.....!! ??</P>

Personally I dont think I can handle a winner take all game vs Dallas in PrimeTime that Sunday Night. I hope we wrap it up before then by us winning and them losing... </P>

I remember one of those type games years ago.. maybe like in mid to late 90s where we played Dallas in a winner take all type game that went to OT and we lost</P> if i remember rightly, it was at the end of the 1993 season. Had we beaten the Cowboys in that game, we would have won the Nfc east and had a 1st round bye and an easier run at the Championship. We lost, Emmit Smith ran us into the ground and we went to SF in the WC round and literally got the **** kicked out of us 44-3. It was also LT's and Simms last game as Giants. :(

fourth&forever
12-13-2011, 07:23 PM
Please no more night games.

stormblue
12-13-2011, 07:38 PM

I remember one of those type games years ago.. maybe like in mid to late 90s where we played Dallas in a winner take all type game that went to OT and we lost</P>

yeah

wasn't that the game where Emmitt separated his shoulder and beat us one handed ?

stormblue
12-13-2011, 07:57 PM

the only way that last game doesn't matter is if philly beats dallas and we win our next 2 games. a dallas loss to tampa is irrelevant
what matters is philly/dallas.
if dallas beats philly ......we will have to
win all 3

Overdrive92
12-13-2011, 08:10 PM
CBS and FOX can each protect five games between weeks 11 and 16 from being flexed to Sunday night. Their decisions are made after week 6. They cannot protect any week 17 games.

Source: http://www.the506.com/nflmaps/

There could be a chance our game gets flexed. It's clearly the best game of the week. The only question is if the NFL wants to put Cowboys-Giants on primetime for the second time in a month. After last Sunday's game was an instant classic, they just might.

stormblue
12-13-2011, 08:19 PM
CBS and FOX can each protect five games between weeks 11 and 16 from being flexed to Sunday night. Their decisions are made after week 6. They cannot protect any week 17 games.

There could be a chance our game gets flexed. It's clearly the best game of the week. The only question is if the NFL wants to put Cowboys-Giants on primetime for the second time in a month. After last Sunday's game was an instant classic, they just might.

i'm stuck in Tampa right now ; so if they don't flex it to the night game it won't be televised here.
thats my reason for wanting it.

bigblue5611
12-13-2011, 09:27 PM
Please no more night games.

oh no, i need the 1/1 game at night on nbc!! .....im in harrisburg so i wont get it if its on at 1 pm on fox....

...i cant handle the stress either but at least lemme see it haha

bigblue5611
12-13-2011, 09:28 PM

i'm stuck in Tampa right now ; so if they don't flex it to the night game it won't be televised here.
thats my reason for wanting it.

yep...+1

GregMask
12-13-2011, 10:17 PM
A flexible scheduling move would be announced at least 12 days before the game. For Week 17, the change will be announced no later than six days before the game. The schedule does not list a Sunday night game in Week 17, but an afternoon game with playoff implications will be moved to that time slot to conclude the season.
Last Season the "flexed" Rams vs Seahawks to end the year. If all goes as predicted this game would be too.

Ruttiger711
12-13-2011, 10:24 PM

Ah good to know about the jet/giants game - I ASSUMED they wouldn't flex due to there not a being a night game slot to flex it to - but had no idea for sure. It would have made the difference of me going or not.

bigbluegmenfan
12-13-2011, 10:37 PM
I think the NFL will flex Det@GB IF Det is playing a win and in game vs an undefeated GB Packer team. Just my Opinion.

Thats the only scenario I see where we are'nt getting flexed. No idea where they would go if neither scenario pans out...meaning det-gb is irrellevant AND NFC East already decided.

barran21
12-14-2011, 04:48 AM
I think the NFL will flex Det@GB IF Det is playing a win and in game vs an undefeated GB Packer team. Just my Opinion.

Thats the only scenario I see where we are'nt getting flexed. No idea where they would go if neither scenario pans out...meaning det-gb is irrellevant AND NFC East already decided.

I think they will flex GB/Det also, if they are going for 16-0 NBC will want that, if GB slips up the next 2 weeks then it's the Giants/Cowboys again, Sunday's game was the second highest rating for NBC this season...

tonyt830
12-14-2011, 07:09 AM

I may be mistaken, but I thought that a team is only allowed a certain amount of prime time games, 4 I think?

The Giants played the Rams, Eagles, Saints and Cowboys already on Sunday night or Monday night this season.

nygsb42champs
12-14-2011, 08:05 AM
I hope is it not a primetime game again. Leave the game where it is.

hungrrrry
12-14-2011, 08:17 AM
I don't want another night game...I am sick of watching the games at night

barran21
12-14-2011, 08:23 AM
I hate SNF too, but here a fact that i saw, the Cowboys have loss the last 6 SNF games...

Giantsin04
12-14-2011, 08:45 AM
I don't want another night game...I am sick of watching the games at night

I hear you. But I think it's going to continue to get worse. I'm convinced that by the time my kid is my age, all games will be played in prime time. Maybe a 7:30 and a 10:30, Every night of the week.

DartLax 36
12-14-2011, 11:02 AM
I have tickets to that game with 3 buddies.. not sure if I want it to stay where it is or have it moved to SNF. I feel like SNF would be pretty sweet, but pretty damn cold, and I'd get home late as hell.. hmm

BlueJayC
12-14-2011, 11:03 AM
Appreciate all the info fellas......so it is a possibility and will most likely depend on how the Giants/DAL/GB/DET all do over the course of the next few weeks........</P>