PDA

View Full Version : LT Tyron Smith vs. JPP/ OSI

NorwoodBlue
09-02-2012, 09:52 AM
I think this is the match-up that could cause us problems against the Cowboys. Smith was an outstanding rookie last season at RT, and if he translates well to LT he could really cause problems for the G-men. I think the battle between he and JPP will be epic; but I think JPP can win that most of the time. What worries me is when Osi's in the game against Smith. If I'm sitting in Jason Garrett's shoes and I see that match-up, I'm going to send DeMarco Murray that way a lot. I think Osi loses this battle on running plays 9 times out of 10. If the Boys can start chewing up the clock, and establish a running game it could be bad news for us. Murray is a dangerous enough runner, if he gets outside on Osi, he's going to chew up a lot of yards. I hope Perry Fewell has something up his sleeve to counter this situation. All the pass rushing DE in the league don't do you any good if the offense is running over top of you.

fourth&forever
09-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Osi being weak against the run is no secret. I'm sure the right side of our D will be quick to help when Osi fails to contain.

edit: I must give Osi some credit for improving (a little) against the run last year. He's at least putting in more effort.

gmen0820
09-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Robert Quinn looked really good against Tyron Smith. I think we can generate pressure with our big JPP over on that side.

JSpin
09-02-2012, 01:04 PM
no one can block JPP idc how good you are. He's just too fast, strong, and big to block with one person... especially a second year tackle playing LT for the first time.

manning to shockey
09-02-2012, 01:13 PM
I think this is the match-up that could cause us problems against the Cowboys. Smith was an outstanding rookie last season at RT, and if he translates well to LT he could really cause problems for the G-men. I think the battle between he and JPP will be epic; but I think JPP can win that most of the time. What worries me is when Osi's in the game against Smith. If I'm sitting in Jason Garrett's shoes and I see that match-up, I'm going to send DeMarco Murray that way a lot. I think Osi loses this battle on running plays 9 times out of 10. If the Boys can start chewing up the clock, and establish a running game it could be bad news for us. Murray is a dangerous enough runner, if he gets outside on Osi, he's going to chew up a lot of yards. I hope Perry Fewell has something up his sleeve to counter this situation. All the pass rushing DE in the league don't do you any good if the offense is running over top of you.

Perry fewell does have something up his sleeve and it's JPP. If Osi is getting burnt on that side than Fewell will have no other option but to keep JPP in there.

CowboysSuck
09-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Osi will likely only be in the game for obvious passing situations (2nd and long, 3rd and 5 yds+ etc etc). I dont think it will be too much of a problem, however I do agree that he is like bottom of the barrel for DE's in terms of run stopping...

CowboysSuck
09-02-2012, 01:16 PM
Perry fewell does have something up his sleeve and it's JPP. If Osi is getting burnt on that side than Fewell will have no other option but to keep JPP in there.

this exactly

derekunion28
09-02-2012, 01:40 PM
i have no worrys its when we dont get pressure there will be problems

giantsfan420
09-02-2012, 02:11 PM
i dont care how good any singly Olmen is, he aint stopping no nascar

BROADWAYSTORM
09-02-2012, 02:24 PM
Smith is a good young tackle but the difference in power and athleticism between him and JPP is considerable. I don't think it makes a difference really, specially when our DE's move around a lot. He can deal with OSI half the time while we rush Tuck from inside. Or overload him with both OSI and JPP and then see how he handles that.

Ntegrase96
09-02-2012, 02:30 PM
Smith is going to have trouble with JPP this go around. He's a hard worker but he's still got to get some experience under his belt. JPP is one of the best defensive players in the league and Smith is making his first start.

I expect to put up a better fight than Free did last year though.

gmen46
09-02-2012, 04:46 PM

Our best chances to defeat the Cowboys--for several years now--has been when they choose to run more than pass. The more they run, the less chances for Romo to run around like a free-range chicken in the backfield and making a play.

Also, Osi is still a victim of his first 5 years in the league, when he was terrible vs the run. The past 2 years he has improved against the run quite a bit (not like Tuck, Kiwi, JPP of course, but...), certainly much more than you give him credit for here,

I don't see this as potentially a problem at all, in and of itself. Of course we still need to out-perform the Cowboys in order to win, but I disagree that this particular matchup presents any more difficulty than we've seen the past 3 years, when we've defeated the Boys 5 out of 6 games.

NorwoodBlue
09-02-2012, 06:05 PM
i dont care how good any singly Olmen is, he aint stopping no nascar

You're missing the point, if we can't stop the run, then Nascar isn't going to be used at all. My concern is that whenever Osi's in the game Smith is going to push him all over the field and Murray will have a huge hole on the left side every time. If Osi is so ineffective that Fewell can't even put him in the game it's going to hurt JPP's effectiveness over the course of the game. Nascar isn't designed to stop the run; in fact, if a team was running well, it would probably make it easier on them.

I hope we can score enough points to take them out of a running game early, that would be the best possible scenario. Romo doesn't have the tools to hold up to a good rush for an extended period.

NYG4lifeNYK
09-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Oh my God... give it a rest already.... this fallacy with Osi being poor against the run is so ******ed.

He's NOT a liability against the run by any means. JPP is simply better.

the-wild-healer
09-02-2012, 06:52 PM
JPP is gonna give him trouble. This is gonna a great matchup to watch for for years though.

Giants5699
09-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Nobody can contain JPP in this league. He is the best DE in the league and it isn't even close.

CowboysSuck
09-02-2012, 07:27 PM
Oh my God... give it a rest already.... this fallacy with Osi being poor against the run is so ******ed.

He's NOT a liability against the run by any means. JPP is simply better.

Ok, maybe. Osi can do a decent job at times I'll give you that.

I just have these nightmares of Osi cruising upfield towards Romo, totally breaking contain on the edge, and the 'terds run a nice sweet little draw play to the left for 40 yds. Its happened before, I will not be surprised to see it happen again Wednesday. In fact, I bet the 'terds offense already has an audible set up for this exact situation.

CowboysSuck
09-02-2012, 07:29 PM
You know what I meant, right? How Osi can just sometimes explode upfield, essentially gambling hoping he can out speed the tackle? Well when he loses, our defense might as well be playing with 10 guys after he does that. Not that its a terrible thing, its good for a strip sack every so often which is the most beautiful strip sack in the modern NFL, IMO.

Gmen 802
09-02-2012, 07:40 PM
Let's not forget that Fewell moved Osi around a bit more last year by putting him at left end, from which he actually got a couple of sacks I believe and was willing to do it. I'm sure we'll see JPP lined up at RE with Tuck inside with Osi in at LE in some situations, where he will blow by whoever the Cowgirls RT is (Free still?) while JPP welcomes Tyron Smith to his new position and Tuck/Joseph owns whoever their interior linemen are. Speaking of Linval I think he is going to have a huge season this year, and really improve his pass rushing skills. All I ask is we don't see many if any three man rushes this year...God I wanted to pull my hair out watching Alex Smith convert 3rd and longs against us in that reg season match up last year...UGH

DragonSoul
09-02-2012, 11:14 PM
Osi being weak against the run is no secret. I'm sure the right side of our D will be quick to help when Osi fails to contain.

edit: I must give Osi some credit for improving (a little) against the run last year. He's at least putting in more effort.Thats exactly right. If Osi wants to play the run he could play the run. Hoping with the new contract he is more level headed and wants to play the run on a more consistent basis.

Sundown
09-02-2012, 11:26 PM
I think Free will have more problems with Tuck. Dallas' oline better be up to the task cause they'll have their work cut out for them.

derekunion28
09-02-2012, 11:33 PM
they say free is gona be wost off them tyron

Roswell777
09-03-2012, 03:21 AM
I'm sure there will be a couple of plays where they run inside of Osi, but in the larger picture the Giant Dline vs the Cowboy Oline should be a big advantage for the Giants.

Captain Chaos
09-03-2012, 07:49 AM
One thing that I think we are all forgetting about this matchup is that our LBs are better this year. So our front 7 against the run is what we really should be talking about. Looking at it that way I think that we will do well stopping the run and defending the screen and TE crossing routes.

Giantslb66
09-03-2012, 09:12 AM
Prepare to be abused, young Left Tackle!

derekunion28
09-03-2012, 11:31 AM
cant double everyone