PDA

View Full Version : Cruz

NYGfanNC
09-03-2012, 09:41 AM
I hear people say all the time that Cruz will have a down year because he did good out of nowhere last year and they'll be ready for him this year. Ever since his breakout game vs. Philly last year in week 3, his worst two games were 2-12(3 weeks later vs. Buf.) and 5-44(Wk. 13 vs. Was) other than that he had seven 100+ yard games, and the rest he had a 74 yard game and four 80-99 yard games. And in the post season he was 21-269 and one TD. So my question is, didn't people figure out who he was last year and despite that he still produced highly. Also, Calvin Johnson had a good year in 2008(78-1331 and 12 TD'S) and the next year he dipped a little but still had a good year(2009 67-984 5TD's) and since then he's had back to back 10+ td years and 1000 yard years and he's still producing at a high level despite being the number one receiver getting number one coverage. Julio Jones was a rookie last year and had an outstanding year and experts are saying he will have an even better year this year. Why aren't they saying that about Cruz? I understand there's a chance he won't have the same stats as last year but I do believe he will be a 1000 yard receiver with 8-12 TD's. Also he will benefit from Nicks getting the number one corner covering him or vice versa. Thoughts?

GameTime
09-03-2012, 09:47 AM
Cruz is legit......period.
Will he dulplicate last season?? Prob not. That was a career season for any WR in NFL. But he wil be on fire again...

RoanokeFan
09-03-2012, 09:49 AM
I hear people say all the time that Cruz will have a down year because he did good out of nowhere last year and they'll be ready for him this year. Ever since his breakout game vs. Philly last year in week 3, his worst two games were 2-12(3 weeks later vs. Buf.) and 5-44(Wk. 13 vs. Was) other than that he had seven 100+ yard games, and the rest he had a 74 yard game and four 80-99 yard games. And in the post season he was 21-269 and one TD. So my question is, didn't people figure out who he was last year and despite that he still produced highly. Also, Calvin Johnson had a good year in 2008(78-1331 and 12 TD'S) and the next year he dipped a little but still had a good year(2009 67-984 5TD's) and since then he's had back to back 10+ td years and 1000 yard years and he's still producing at a high level despite being the number one receiver getting number one coverage. Julio Jones was a rookie last year and had an outstanding year and experts are saying he will have an even better year this year. Why aren't they saying that about Cruz? I understand there's a chance he won't have the same stats as last year but I do believe he will be a 1000 yard receiver with 8-12 TD's. Also he will benefit from Nicks getting the number one corner covering him or vice versa. Thoughts?

As hard as it is for a team to repeat as Super Bowl Champions, so a player's off the charts performance will be difficult to match. But, to me, that's speaking statistically. Does it really matter if he matches his record or surpasses it? But to those who think defenses will somehow adjust their playbook to keep Cruz in check didn't watch the Dallas game last year when he was guarded by three defenders is a scheme Gilbride admitted he had never seen before.

What makes Cruz great is his ability to make vertical cuts while moving horizontally, a trait first highlighted by one of out defensive backs whop had to defend him in practice. Coupled with his ability to often make the first guy miss, I would expect Cruz to continue to use his skill sets improve his game. It's hard to defend against athleticism

penguinfarmer
09-03-2012, 10:34 AM
I actually want all passing and receiving numbers to dip by virtue of a better, more efficient running game. Cruz can separate, don't know how that will magically disappear this season.

BParcells777
09-03-2012, 10:42 AM
he had an awful lot of very long runs after catch, and split the defenders quite a few times

Can he do it- yes, will he do it hmmmm

Hopefully our D is so strong now we wont need that kind of magic this year

derekunion28
09-03-2012, 11:23 AM
he wont get the sam yards they will cover him differnt, i would bet he gets alot more catchs, he will play better because know he is doing it covered different, mopre pressure on him now, lots of key 3 down catchs, as far as yards nope...jmho

Overdrive92
09-03-2012, 12:11 PM
Cruz is still a beast.

But as others mentioned, definitely don't expect him to have over 1,500 yards again, or as many 50-70 yard TD's. He's going to be covered like the #1 guy. This is why I say expect Hakeem Nicks to have a bigger year.

cken
09-03-2012, 12:16 PM
As my university's football head coach says: "Winners of preseason/regular season statistics get plaques on their wall. Championship football teams win rings and trophies."

RagTime Blue
09-03-2012, 12:37 PM
I think it has to do with the fact that Cruz went undrafted. If he was a 1st rounder, people would be calling last season "the tip of the iceberg".

I'm with the OP on this one.

You can't say that the 49'rs didn't scout and game plan for this guy in the NFCC game. Hogwash!!

Last year was only Act One.

Captain Chaos
09-03-2012, 01:05 PM
I don't doubt Cruz's abiliy, think with an effort to get the run game going and a dangerous TE in Bennett, just think he will not get as many targets. Given that he will still have over 1000 yds this season!

IamGiantsfan
09-03-2012, 01:21 PM
I actually want all passing and receiving numbers to dip by virtue of a better, more efficient running game. Cruz can separate, don't know how that will magically disappear this season.
I don't care about our running game as long as we still win games, we won a superbowl with a horrible one

jomo
09-03-2012, 01:24 PM
With Nick lined up on the other side and based on how Cruz looked this pre-season, you can pretty count on another big season.
Go Giants!!

JimC
09-03-2012, 01:59 PM
As hard as it is for a team to repeat as Super Bowl Champions, so a player's off the charts performance will be difficult to match. But, to me, that's speaking statistically. Does it really matter if he matches his record or surpasses it? But to those who think defenses will somehow adjust their playbook to keep Cruz in check didn't watch the Dallas game last year when he was guarded by three defenders is a scheme Gilbride admitted he had never seen before.

What makes Cruz great is his ability to make vertical cuts while moving horizontally, a trait first highlighted by one of out defensive backs whop had to defend him in practice. Coupled with his ability to often make the first guy miss, I would expect Cruz to continue to use his skill sets improve his game. It's hard to defend against athleticism

I am still not completely sold that Cruz is not a flash in the pan. I need to see more. I'm having a hard time believing that a player this good could have been missed by all the scouts from every other team. AND he was still available when we picked him up as a free agent. It just doesn't make sense.

RoanokeFan
09-03-2012, 02:07 PM
I am still not completely sold that Cruz is not a flash in the pan. I need to see more. I'm having a hard time believing that a player this good could have been missed by all the scouts from every other team. AND he was still available when we picked him up as a free agent. It just doesn't make sense.

What does how he arrived have to do with his skill sets. Ojomo was undrafted as well and it seems he may have a lot of potential in the style of Osi Umenyiora. I don't know what more a player has to do to not be considered a one horse wonder.

RoanokeFan
09-03-2012, 02:08 PM
With Nick lined up on the other side and based on how Cruz looked this pre-season, you can pretty count on another big season.
Go Giants!!

I am still pulling for them to be the best tandem in the NFL.

SackingMyths
09-03-2012, 02:24 PM

When he tore the Jets apart (6-145-3Tds) on national TV in the 2010 Preseason, many said that was just a fluke. Hard to argue at the time; small sample size. Fine. No problem there.

But after what he did all last year and in the playoffs, to still suggest it was a fluke...that I DO NOT get. Yeah, you can't rely on that many long scores in one season to happen that frequently, so maybe he ends up in the 1200-1300 yds area. But that still aint shabby. And it was his skill set that made those TDs happen--not luck.

Elite top-end speed and elusiveness...precise route running...fearlessness...solid vertical leaping ability...strong hands...strong upper/lower body.

What else can you ask for a skill set in a WR?

RoanokeFan
09-03-2012, 02:29 PM
I don't care about our running game as long as we still win games, we won a superbowl with a horrible one

We absolutely did, but look back at the regular season to know we have to have a better running game.

jomo
09-03-2012, 02:33 PM
We absolutely did, but look back at the regular season to know we have to have a better running game..........and during the playoffs, our running game was much improved over the way it was during our 9-7 regular season.

GameTime
09-03-2012, 02:34 PM
What does how he arrived have to do with his skill sets. Ojomo was undrafted as well and it seems he may have a lot of potential in the style of Osi Umenyiora. I don't know what more a player has to do to not be considered a one horse wonder.
Exactly.....you dont go for 1500+ as a flash in the pan.
He will have another great year....

BigBlue1971
09-03-2012, 02:38 PM
Cruz is the real deal! i have seen noone cover this guy from the slot!

the chemistry between him and Eli is solid. it appears Cruz can just go an open spot in the defense and Eli will find him.

although he will be a game plan project for opponents i would not be surprised if he approached last years numbers!

he is too slippery for defenders. i might reach and say Cruz is our best receiver!

RoanokeFan
09-03-2012, 02:40 PM
.........and during the playoffs, our running game was much improved over the way it was during our 9-7 regular season.

As true as that is, the running game was still struggling. That speaks volumes about Eli's ability to get the job done.

Mohann
09-03-2012, 02:51 PM
All last year I kept thinking "we need a big play, Cruz gave us one last week, we can't expect another". Then Cruz would make another big play. I stopped doubting him at the end of the regular season. He's for real. He may not get 1500yds again, and the reason may have nothing to do with him, but I'd be surprised if he doesn't get at least 1300.

gmen46
09-03-2012, 02:51 PM
When he tore the Jets apart (6-145-3Tds) on national TV in the 2010 Preseason, many said that was just a fluke. Hard to argue at the time; small sample size. Fine. No problem there.

But after what he did all last year and in the playoffs, to still suggest it was a fluke...that I DO NOT get. Yeah, you can't rely on that many long scores in one season to happen that frequently, so maybe he ends up in the 1200-1300 yds area. But that still aint shabby. And it was his skill set that made those TDs happen--not luck.

Elite top-end speed and elusiveness...precise route running...fearlessness...solid vertical leaping ability...strong hands...strong upper/lower body.

What else can you ask for a skill set in a WR?

I think you summarized Cruz and his abilities quite well, here.

In my opinion, while he may not have as many 40+ yd receptions as last year (because he will be covered more closely in most cases from now on) Cruz will still be targeted at least as much, if not more, than he was last year. He will get his share of receptions. I think he will drop fewer passes than he did the first half of last year.

If anything, as a couple others here have suggested. he will likely have fewer total yards (probably around 1000 yds +/-) but approximately the same number of receptions and TDs.

I don't need to wait another entire season to grace Cruz with my high opinion of his skills, team attitude, personal toughness, and constant big-play potential. He's no "one-hit wonder" like Brandon Lloyd, or even Braylon Edwards. He's the real deal.

Watch how opponent defenses play him this year. That will tell these skeptics here all they need to know about how much Cruz scares them.

With Nicks also on the field, they will need to roll their primary defense against one of them; no defense can adequately shut down both for an entire game. Eli is too good to let that happen, and those 2 WRs are too good to let that happen. Plus, it's looking like Bennett may pick up where Ballard left off in the red zone and the occasional seam pass when both Nicks and Cruz are occupied.

I understand the impulse of some Giants fans to fear the "too good to be true" syndrome regarding Cruz, mostly because of his low profile college career and draft status, I'm sure. But when we combine the aggregate of Cruz's achievements as a Giant in 3 pre seasons and 1 complete regular season and post season, all doubt should have evaporated by now.

SackingMyths
09-03-2012, 03:50 PM
I understand the impulse of some Giants fans to fear the "too good to be true" syndrome regarding Cruz, mostly because of his low profile college career and draft status, I'm sure. But when we combine the aggregate of Cruz's achievements as a Giant in 3 pre seasons and 1 complete regular season and post season, all doubt should have evaporated by now.

Yeah, I chalk it up to guarded optimism where some are still kinda pinching themselves and hoping he's real. Everything about him looks very real to me, and he's way too young to suggest that he's hit his peak...which is scary. I also love how he didn't let his success and popularity go to his head. What a great kid and so easy to root for.

Hard to predict his numbers for the year, but teams were already adjusting to him BIG TIME come playoff time last year. Especially ATL. They were hell bent on not letting him beat them, and we all saw what that did for Hakeem. Pick your poison!

Even still, he ended up with 21 Catches for 269 Yards in 4 playoff games. Of course, that was top-flight playoff competition, which he's not gonna see all 16 games. But multiply that by 4xs and you're at about 80 catches for just under 1100. That's a solid (and very fair) "floor" for VC.

I'm thinking he and Nicks just alternate monster games.

joeybagadonutz23
09-03-2012, 04:27 PM
Cruz is the real deal! i have seen noone cover this guy from the slot!

the chemistry between him and Eli is solid. it appears Cruz can just go an open spot in the defense and Eli will find him.

although he will be a game plan project for opponents i would not be surprised if he approached last years numbers!

he is too slippery for defenders. i might reach and say Cruz is our best receiver!

No way dude....David Douglas.
That's obviously a joke.

RagTime Blue
09-03-2012, 04:49 PM
For those trying to predict Cruz's numbers for this season based on last season, you're forgetting one thing: He spent the first two games in 2011 watching from the sidelines.

Add that to your equations, please.

ashleymarie
09-03-2012, 04:55 PM
I believe Cruz will have another break out year. Yeah, he is a flash in the pan just like Elvis was.

Diamondring
09-03-2012, 04:59 PM
I actually want all passing and receiving numbers to dip by virtue of a better, more efficient running game. Cruz can separate, don't know how that will magically disappear this season.Forget that mess. I want nothing to dip and we still have a good running game to. Despite the troubles with the run last year, Giants backs combined over or close to 1,000 yards.

SackingMyths
09-03-2012, 05:35 PM
I believe Cruz will have another break out year. Yeah, he is a flash in the pan just like Elvis was.

Nice!

And RagTime, you're 100% right. He kinda went in KG's doghouse after that bad drop on 3rd Down in Wash. Makes it even more amazing that he shattered Toom's record and only started 14 games.

Sky's the limit for our dynamic duo!

Drez
09-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Passing numbers don't need to dip with an improved run game. Improved run game can mean more sustained drives. More sustained drives means more overall yardage. Not all that additional yardage has to be on the ground.

Edit: What will cause our passing numbers to drop, though, is if we hold leads in the 4th this season. Something we did very, very little of last season.

Diamondring
09-03-2012, 05:49 PM
Passing numbers don't need to dip with an improved run game. Improved run game can mean more sustained drives. More sustained drives means more overall yardage. Not all that additional yardage has to be on the ground.Oh yes PREACH THE TRUTH!!!!

RagTime Blue
09-03-2012, 06:13 PM
Passing numbers don't need to dip with an improved run game. Improved run game can mean more sustained drives. More sustained drives means more overall yardage. Not all that additional yardage has to be on the ground.

Edit: What will cause our passing numbers to drop, though, is if we hold leads in the 4th this season. Something we did very, very little of last season.

Exactly. Safeties creeping up to try to bottle-up Wilson. . .yeah, that's going to make things tough on our passing attack.

dnotch121
09-03-2012, 06:59 PM
My question is, is the salsa coming back? or is he gonna hang it up? Are you gonna be tired of seeing it?

RoanokeFan
09-03-2012, 07:17 PM
My question is, is the salsa coming back? or is he gonna hang it up? Are you gonna be tired of seeing it?

The salsa is a tribute to his Grandmother, its not going anywhere

nhpgiantsfan
09-03-2012, 07:25 PM
This is a big year for Cruz. If he wants to get paid, he has to do it again. Obviously he probably wont get 1500 yards but he has to have another solid year for me to be sold. It is strange that the best football minds on 32 teams missed this guy. But I love his story and I'm rooting hard for him.

RoanokeFan
09-03-2012, 07:53 PM
This is a big year for Cruz. If he wants to get paid, he has to do it again. Obviously he probably wont get 1500 yards but he has to have another solid year for me to be sold. It is strange that the best football minds on 32 teams missed this guy. But I love his story and I'm rooting hard for him.

It happens

Antwuan
09-04-2012, 04:07 AM
Victor Cruz Is A Pro-Bowl Caliber WR.

As Long As He Is Healthy He Will Have Another Great Season.

GMan-67
09-04-2012, 04:25 AM
1,600 yards is off the charts, but his TD total is certainly something he can repeat or even improve on and 1,200 yards is still very nice

we don't seem to have trouble getting him the ball b/c he's very shifty ... i mean think of a Welker ... teams go in thinking, we gotta stop Welker, but they rarely do and that was even before they got their great TE duo

and with Cruz he can have a 5 catch game and 120 yards with his YAC and that is where the inflated receiving yards stemmed from ... im really not worried about Cruz, but he does have to make sure to secure the ball a bit better this year ... we recovered a few of his fumbles, but you can't always count on that

BillTheGreek
09-04-2012, 09:47 AM
You gotta Love him !....................After all he is our CRUZ MISSLE ! He will do his part this season.

GameTime
09-04-2012, 09:50 AM
Cruz plays the way he does because he is that caliber of WR. The money is great but guys like him play the way they do just because.