PDA

View Full Version : Any chance we extend Kenny Phillips contract this season? Would help the cap

NYG4lifeNYK
09-03-2012, 05:29 PM
And would ensure us that he's a Giant for many years

Captain Chaos
09-03-2012, 05:33 PM
I do't think thatis how the Giant's do business. They wait until the after the season and negotiate contracts.

gumby74
09-03-2012, 05:38 PM
doubtful imo. i don't see him back as a Giant unless we get an enormous discount. If Gibril Wilson got 5M, i can't imagine how much he'd command. Webster, Cruz, Nicks, Joseph, Tuck, and a bunch of others are all free agents coming up.

Rod-Diggity
09-03-2012, 05:58 PM
doubtful imo. i don't see him back as a Giant unless we get an enormous discount. If Gibril Wilson got 5M, i can't imagine how much he'd command. Webster, Cruz, Nicks, Joseph, Tuck, and a bunch of others are all free agents coming up.
difference is wilson wasn't worth 5 mil. to the giants, I think the giants def. resigns him I think he's earned that plus he's younger than most of those mentioned

DownWitJPP
09-03-2012, 06:04 PM
I hope we do, he will command more money as a free agent. How quickly everyone forgets that fiasco we had with Michael Johnson and CC (cant cover) Brown as our safety's

Drez
09-03-2012, 06:23 PM
I do't think thatis how the Giant's do business. They wait until the after the season and negotiate contracts.
The Giants definitely extend contracts during the season. They've done it with Tuck (right before SB42), Plax right as the '08 season started. I'm sure there are others, those are just the two I can think of off the top of my head.

DemandedAce
09-03-2012, 07:18 PM
KP is a top safety in the league, we need him to remain a Giant

giantsfan420
09-04-2012, 12:09 AM
yeah i agree DA. And i really believe that injury set him back a couple years in his development. He's playing at a high level, but I believe he can reach an even higher level of play, i really do. I think the way we have been using him, as that centerfield type safety bc Rolle had to move to nickelback, doesn't give him a chance to utilize all the skill he has. I think he could be a similar safety to Troy P. KP can def hit, he can make plays defending the pass, i think he could be a great blitzer...we just have to put him in a position where he is used more than just a deep centerfield safety

drewz
09-04-2012, 12:30 AM
Antrel is gonna be making 27 million over the next 3 years, IMO.. he's gonna be a cap casualty.. I think if Will Hill shows growth and Kenny Phillips has another good year, he'll be extended and Rolle will cut some time in the future.

Drez
09-04-2012, 12:57 AM
Antrel is gonna be making 27 million over the next 3 years, IMO.. he's gonna be a cap casualty.. I think if Will Hill shows growth and Kenny Phillips has another good year, he'll be extended and Rolle will cut some time in the future.

That number is over 4 years, not 3. It's $21m over the last 3 of his contract.

gumby74
09-04-2012, 09:58 AM
difference is wilson wasn't worth 5 mil. to the giants, I think the giants def. resigns him I think he's earned that plus he's younger than most of those mentioned

If we have Rolle already back there, I don't see us re-signing Philips. Having 2 good safeties playing together is a luxury these days. We can probably better spend that extra money elsewhere. If it's between Philips or re-signing Cruz, I'd rather re-sign Cruz. If it's Philips and Tuck, I'd rather have Tuck. If it's between Philips and Joseph, if Linval continues to play well, I'd rather have Joseph. And so forth. Although that being said, if Randle shows flashes this season, I can see Nicks being let go.

BlueSanta
09-04-2012, 10:33 AM
Contracts are very rarely "extended" in their last year, especially rookie contracts.

Think about it.

How can we extend his contract in a way that could compete with the guaranteed money he would get from a new 1? Furthermore, how could our "extension" compare to the signing bonuses teams would throw at him. Those bonuses are ways to spread the cost of a contract over time. It isnt going to happen.

Ive said it before though, it is sad to think it but t2's injury this year likely ends his stay with the team. They will not pay him what he is due next year and beyond with that knee issue lingering. I think that money will end up being what we use to resign KP/ Cruz.

Rod-Diggity
09-04-2012, 11:56 AM
If we have Rolle already back there, I don't see us re-signing Philips. Having 2 good safeties playing together is a luxury these days. We can probably better spend that extra money elsewhere. If it's between Philips or re-signing Cruz, I'd rather re-sign Cruz. If it's Philips and Tuck, I'd rather have Tuck. If it's between Philips and Joseph, if Linval continues to play well, I'd rather have Joseph. And so forth. Although that being said, if Randle shows flashes this season, I can see Nicks being let go.
I see your point about Cruz and Tuck, but when it comes down to Joseph i don't see them picking him over KP. DT is an expendable position for us look at Barry Coefield( and he was a top player at his position might i add) we let him walk they would do the same for Joseph, besides KP is better at his position than Joseph is at his. KP is one of the top safties in the league, he's better than Rolle imo and you can't let him walk when we have unproven and suspect corners opposite Webster. we have a history of drafting D-linemen every yr, we haven't drafted a safety since KP if i'm not mistaken i think the guys gets resigned without a doubt.

NYG4lifeNYK
09-04-2012, 01:15 PM
I'm not sure if this gets done this season or in the off season but KP is a top 10 safety and is creeping his way into the top 5 if he continues on the path he's on. We need to lock him up so he retires a Giant.

I have KP currently listed as 7th

1. Troy Polamalu/Ed Reed
2. Ed Reed/Troy Polamalu
3. Eric Berry
4. Earl Thomas
5. Eric Weddle
6. Antoine Bethea
7. Kenny Phillips
8. Kam Chancellor
9. Jairus Byrd
10. Dashon Goldson

Something like that.