PDA

View Full Version : Oline may have us living and dying with the big play.

njsean
09-03-2012, 07:06 PM
Just like last year, the Oline doesn't seem up to the task of holding up over and maintaining long consistent drives. We may require quick strikes to score else we'll be punting or kicking FGs. I'd love to be wrong and see us be able to grind our some well executed drives where we just work our will down the field - really the only drive we had like that during our playoff run was the very last drive to win - but I just sense our offense may get stuck in constipation mode.

And let's not all kill KG when it does.

Parademon
09-03-2012, 07:09 PM
I think with Wilson & Bradshaw in the backfield, they may not have to hold their blocks as long. Those 2 can hit the hole extremely fast. Plus teams are not gonna stack the box & dare Eli to throw on them. They leaned that lesson the hard way last yr.

tonyt830
09-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Just like last year, the Oline doesn't seem up to the task of holding up over and maintaining long consistent drives. We may require quick strikes to score else we'll be punting or kicking FGs. I'd love to be wrong and see us be able to grind our some well executed drives where we just work our will down the field - really the only drive we had like that during our playoff run was the very last drive to win - but I just sense our offense may get stuck in constipation mode.

And let's not all kill KG when it does.as fans, maybe we should prepare for the worst, but hope for the best when it comes to our O-line?

I look forward to seeing how Locklear handles the start at LT vs the Cowboys Wed night.

I just hope our O-line plays better in the run game this year. I love what Eli did for us last year in the pass game, but it would be a relief to see our run game rank higher than 32nd this season.

nhpgiantsfan
09-03-2012, 07:13 PM
I think with Wilson & Bradshaw in the backfield, they may not have to hold their blocks as long. Those 2 can hit the hole extremely fast. Plus teams are not gonna stack the box & dare Eli to throw on them. They leaned that lesson the hard way last yr.

Problem is they're really not getting any wholes. The Oline has to mprove or we are in trouble in the running game.

njsean
09-03-2012, 07:13 PM

The Bears game definitely gave me hope but it isn't just the run game I'm talking about. I mean if we're going to have sustained drives, the pass pro needs consistency too. That's what was so awesome IMO about 08s offense. So often we seemed able to just slowly and methodically work our way down the field both passing and running thanks to the Oline.

RoanokeFan
09-03-2012, 07:15 PM
The OLine will do its part to make every game an adventure

TheEnigma
09-03-2012, 07:30 PM
The OLine will do its part to make every game an adventure

lol...

One way to protect an Oline is to incorporate more short passes into the playbook and use less 7 step drops like we've been doing. Thankfully, we have one of the best QBs in regards to dealing with the pass rush pressure so Eli will cover a lot of holes on this offense with his phenomenal pocket awareness.

njsean
09-03-2012, 07:38 PM
I just rewatched the whole playoff run and in each game it seemed like the only tds we scored were on big plays. No long sustained scoring drives. Any time we couldn't get the big play our offense entered that frustrating constipation mode.

So yeah, I hope we do have a more effective short passing game. It would nice for Wilson to evolve into a serious receiving threat to add that backfield element the Saints and Pats use so well.

CowboysSuck
09-03-2012, 07:45 PM
I say we wait until we play a regular season game before we judge the performance of the O Line

OX1
09-03-2012, 07:54 PM
lol...

One way to protect an Oline is to incorporate more short passes into the playbook and use less 7 step drops like we've been doing.

It was nice to see this in preseason and I sure hope it continues, as we really need to get that short game going.
Be nice to randomly rock in the hurry up for even one or 2 plays, especially if our O-line is getting abused.

RoanokeFan
09-03-2012, 07:58 PM
I say we wait until we play a regular season game before we judge the performance of the O Line

Fair enough

GMan-67
09-03-2012, 08:10 PM
well we won the Super Bowl last year with basically the same line and you absolutely can't win a Super Bowl without a decent Oline ... now we all have concerns, but it's almost like baseball ... everyone is always worried about their bullpen ... it just comes with the territory ... in the NFL you are always worried about the Oline ... the Jets are worried about theirs, the Boys are worried about theirs, the Eagles are worried about theirs

we only have 1 new face from the Super Bowl winning Oline and one position change

and Beatty should be good to go in Week 2 ... i know he is still a bit unproven, but he did start last season at LT and he was an early draft pick, so we can't just assume he's a bust like so many love to do ... more importantly he has a California King size mattress now, so his back will be happier than ever very shortly

let's at least play a real game 1st, before everyone chicken littles ... it's almost as bad as last year on these boards and last year we were coming off a devasting loss to the Eagles ... i dont know what the excuse is the season for all the pessimism

CowboysSuck
09-03-2012, 09:22 PM
Fair enough

I think if these 5 guys can stay healthy we will be just fine.

Buddy333
09-03-2012, 11:45 PM
For me the difference between this year and last year is that I had no idea they wold be that bad last year. This year I'm expecting them to be horrible. As much as they have some issues with their secondary the OL scares me the most.

egyptian420
09-04-2012, 01:07 AM
Our o-line and CBs are the biggest question marks going into this season....I'm anxiously waiting to see how they perform this wednesday

jomo
09-04-2012, 06:34 AM
I expect the OL to be slightly better than last year. I think we will see slight imporvements at LT and RT. Boothe should also be better in his second year at LG. Baas looks healthy and aggressive so I expect some improvement there as well with Snee being about the same. Grades for the OL should be

LT B-
LG B
C B+
RG A-
RT B-

The real problem is in our depth. If we can stay healthy the starting group whould be good enough but certainly not great.

GMENAGAIN
09-04-2012, 07:31 AM
I expect the OL to be slightly better than last year. I think we will see slight imporvements at LT and RT. Boothe should also be better in his second year at LG. Baas looks healthy and aggressive so I expect some improvement there as well with Snee being about the same. Grades for the OL should be

LT B-
LG B
C B+
RG A-
RT B-

The real problem is in our depth. If we can stay healthy the starting group whould be good enough but certainly not great.

I completely agree.

Injuries will present huge problems if we have to put guys like Brewer or Petrus in the game.

Redeyejedi
09-04-2012, 08:15 AM
lol...

One way to protect an Oline is to incorporate more short passes into the playbook and use less 7 step drops like we've been doing. Thankfully, we have one of the best QBs in regards to dealing with the pass rush pressure so Eli will cover a lot of holes on this offense with his phenomenal pocket awareness.U have to throw deep or the underneath stuff wont be there for Cruz. A huge deal for this offense will be if Defenses respect Randle or Hixon to beat them deep.

OX1
09-04-2012, 08:18 AM
The problem with the same O-line as last year, is that on paper, our divisions defenses got better.

Redeyejedi
09-04-2012, 08:20 AM

LT B-
LG B
C B+
RG A-
RT B-

I know im going to sound like a downer but how are u figuring these grades. Diehl graded as the worst Lineman in the NFL last year how can he be a B-.Locklear didnt grade much better then Diehl and he was at RT. Snee wasnt an A- last year hopefully he bounces back. The Giants didnt have 1 lineman who graded positively last year. Beatty graded the best and even he was negative