PDA

View Full Version : We fail(ed) at signing the right free agents? Do we need an outside consultant?

Warchild
12-14-2011, 02:25 AM
If you look at our free agent signings under Reese,, you will notice a disturbing trend that we have been paying big money, for average production. How come he struggles in this area? Do we need a 3rd party consultant to evaluate future FA signings?

Discuss...

myles2424
12-14-2011, 04:16 AM
If you look at our free agent signings under Reese,, you will notice a disturbing trend that we have been paying big money, for average production. How come he struggles in this area? Do we need a 3rd party consultant to evaluate future FA signings?

Discuss...Idk what to say, the Rolle signing was the only one to seem worth it,but at this point it's been anything but.... canty move was mind boggling, bass wasn't even a legit Center, I wasn't familiar with Boley but he's earned his pay....overall we've made pretty terrible FA moves,anyone say anything different is being way to nice....

myles2424
12-14-2011, 04:16 AM

Discuss...Idk what to say, the Rolle signing was the only one to seem worth it,but at this point it's been anything but.... canty move was mind boggling, bass wasn't even a legit Center, I wasn't familiar with Boley but he's earned his pay....overall we've made pretty bad FA moves,anyone say anything different is being way to nice....

SweetZombieJesus
12-14-2011, 09:27 AM
Our FA signings have largely been terrible both in terms of price and result. Boley is having a great year so he doesn't look too bad at the moment, but before this year he wasn't more than average. Before that, it's hard to think of impact free agents that have worked out -- maybe Pierce? Really? We have to go back that far?

burier
12-14-2011, 02:09 PM
Our FA signings have largely been terrible both in terms of price and result.* Boley is having a great year so he doesn't look too bad at the moment, but before this year he wasn't more than average.* Before that, it's hard to think of impact free agents that have worked out -- maybe Pierce?* Really?* We have to go back that far?*

Agreed.

I actually think Boley has played out of his mind this year. Thinking he'll keep that up may be unrealistic.

Canty just isnt as tenacious as you'd expect for a big time free agent DT

Two question Who is Rocky Bernard and Where is Rocky Bernard. Garbage.

(This is why I categorically disagree with signing DTs in free agency. There's always like 50 good DTs in the draft and you don't have to deal with them getting lazy after a big contract signing)

Rolle's mouth is bigger than his game but he's been basically good so he may not be worth exactly what he's paid but I'll let it slide.

The one that's really annoying is this Baas signing. I mean who the hell is reviewing the film on these guys before we offer a contract?? the guy can't run block. He's nothing special in pass protection and he's injury prone. I mean seriously Reese you gotta do better than that. The majority of his free agents need to take a paycut or just get cut period.

ny06
12-14-2011, 02:20 PM
Free agent signings is a crap shoot. </P>

After the season the gm has to look at what was the main issue with the team, and how can we address it. </P>

Canty was a questionable signing, he played a 3-4 d-end in Dallas. So we over pay him to move to d-tackle? </P>

Boley was a good signing, we addressed a position that was neglected for years. </P>

Rolle got the big contract for a few reasons, first we were decimated at the safety position the season before. We lost Phillips for the season at the time, and we had to play CC Brown and Aaron Rouse. So Reese was forced into making a move for a safety. </P>

Rocky Bernard has been average at best, it seems his best years were left in Seattle. </P>

Weatherford has been a great signing, it's funny how the posters who were angry about losing Dodge don't speak of it anymore. </P>

Baas, as most of us thought was a legit signing. Big center who can play guard. But for whatever reason he has been an utter disappointment. </P>

All in all were not the only team in the league that has had failed free agent signings. </P>

</P>

MattMeyerBud
12-14-2011, 02:23 PM
Our FA signings have largely been terrible both in terms of price and result. Boley is having a great year so he doesn't look too bad at the moment, but before this year he wasn't more than average. Before that, it's hard to think of impact free agents that have worked out -- maybe Pierce? Really? We have to go back that far?

well pierce, mckenzie, plax was the last year in between the year of boley and canty that we tried to add some pieces to help...

I still really like the Rolle signing. He trailed off at the end of last year, but was our D MVP for the first 3/4 of the season lats year. This year he was able to step up in the nickle for us at CB. Rolle has been a great addition for us.

Canty had a good year last year and is having an even better year this year.

Baas is looking brutal though but that was more of a circumstantial signing

burier
12-14-2011, 02:34 PM
Our FA signings have largely been terrible both in terms of price and result.* Boley is having a great year so he doesn't look too bad at the moment, but before this year he wasn't more than average.* Before that, it's hard to think of impact free agents that have worked out -- maybe Pierce?* Really?* We have to go back that far?*

well pierce, mckenzie, plax was the last year in between the year of boley and canty that we tried to add some pieces to help...

I still really like the Rolle signing. He trailed off at the end of last year, but was our D MVP for the first 3/4 of the season lats year. This year he was able to step up in the nickle for us at CB.* Rolle has been a great addition for us.

lol...what is it with you and players who don't ball out every snap?

I used to tell my kids that when you play football its mass murder every time...every snap go stop someone's heart.... Canty cherry picks.

gumby742
12-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Free agency has average and overpaid written all over it. High profile signings that are worth the money they paid are few and far between. Jared Allen maybe? Randy Moss? The fact that Rolle has been solid, but still getting paid lots of money is pretty much par for the course. I think Boley is paying dividends though. Baas, I'm giving one more year.</P>

Canty is playing well, but still over paid.</P>

MattMeyerBud
12-14-2011, 02:41 PM

I still really like the Rolle signing. He trailed off at the end of last year, but was our D MVP for the first 3/4 of the season lats year. This year he was able to step up in the nickle for us at CB. Rolle has been a great addition for us.

I used to tell my kids that when you play football its mass murder every time...every snap go stop someone's heart.... Canty cherry picks.

sorry but the reality of it is that you can make the same arguments against 98% of the league.

I dont even want to imagine how bout our secondary would of been this year without Rolle. Canty plays DT, which is equivalent to a DE in a 3-4 so the fact that we threw money at him wasn't that bad. Probably a little over paid, but his play is dramatically underrated.

First quarter of the season everybody was saying how the DTs were the best position on our team with the way they were playing. Bottom line I don't live week to week and I step back and look at the whole year. I don't play for team dramatic

And honestly, I don't value ur opinion about balling out or playing wtih heart since u can't recognize Tuck's situation and u call him a *****.

MattMeyerBud
12-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Free agency has average and overpaid written all over it. High profile signings that are worth the money they paid are few and far between. Jared Allen maybe? Randy Moss? The fact that Rolle has been solid, but still getting paid lots of money is pretty much par for the course. I think Boley is paying dividends though. Baas, I'm giving one more year.</p>

Canty is playing well, but still over paid.</p>

Allen n Moss were both traded for lol

Gianthunter
12-14-2011, 03:12 PM
The Giants freeagent money to bust ratio is nowhere near the top of the league. It's higher than it has been but.

burier
12-14-2011, 03:25 PM

I still really like the Rolle signing. He trailed off at the end of last year, but was our D MVP for the first 3/4 of the season lats year. This year he was able to step up in the nickle for us at CB.* Rolle has been a great addition for us.

sorry but the reality of it is that you can make the same arguments against 98% of the league.

I dont even want to imagine how bout our secondary would of been this year without Rolle. Canty plays DT, which is equivalent to a DE in a 3-4 so the fact that we threw money at him wasn't that bad. Probably a little over paid, but his play is dramatically underrated.*

First quarter of the season everybody was saying how the DTs were the best position on our team with the way they were playing. Bottom line I don't live week to week and I step back and look at the whole year. I don't play for team dramatic

And honestly, I don't value ur opinion about balling out or playing wtih heart since u can't recognize Tuck's situation and u call him a *****.

Aww come on don't be like that.

I know I've been rough on Tuck and I know he's one of your favorite players but I wasn't trying to hurt your feelings.

Tuck is just highly frustrating.

MattMeyerBud
12-14-2011, 03:31 PM

I dont even want to imagine how bout our secondary would of been this year without Rolle. Canty plays DT, which is equivalent to a DE in a 3-4 so the fact that we threw money at him wasn't that bad. Probably a little over paid, but his play is dramatically underrated.

I know I've been rough on Tuck and I know he's one of your favorite players but I wasn't trying to hurt your feelings.

I like Tuck, but thats not what it is. I just can't believe THAT knock on him.

Hes having an off year no doubt, but its def attributed to injury, guy is just beat up .

Frustration is fine, calling out his toughness is mind bottling

burier
12-14-2011, 03:42 PM

I dont even want to imagine how bout our secondary would of been this year without Rolle. Canty plays DT, which is equivalent to a DE in a 3-4 so the fact that we threw money at him wasn't that bad. Probably a little over paid, but his play is dramatically underrated.*

I like Tuck, but thats not what it is.* I just can't believe THAT knock on him.

Hes having an off year no doubt, but its def attributed to injury, guy is just beat up .

I mean ???

I don't know what to say...apparently he tore a labrum or something one year and played with it so now he has a lifetime hall pass..I am not an orthapedist so I don't even know if a torn labrum is serious...or how seriously his labrum was torn. What we do know is that its an injury you can play with.

So let me ask you this..If I told you Tuck has a injury but he can play...what would you expect him to do? Sit out???

If he can play he should play without expecting a cookie.

I'm frustrated that he's not performing well. At this point for me to give him a pass because of injury would be highly presumptuous considering I don't have any information on the injury(s). All I know is Coughlin lets him play so it can't be that bad. (Couglin wouldn't try to hurt the team would he?)

He's a good player but..the hardest hustle I ever saw out of him was this year in a play during preseason.

I mean if after the season the team comes out and says...Tuck had XYZ and battled through it I'll gladly take back my ***** comment. But right now...he doesn't really look like a warrior to me.

MattMeyerBud
12-14-2011, 03:51 PM

I mean ???

I don't know what to say...apparently he tore a labrum or something one year and played with it so now he has a lifetime hall pass..I am not an orthapedist so I don't even know if a torn labrum is serious...or how seriously his labrum was torn. What we do know is that its an injury you can play with.

So let me ask you this..If I told you Tuck has a injury but he can play...what would you expect him to do? Sit out???

I'm frustrated that he's not performing well. At this point for me to give him a pass because of injury would be highly presumptuous considering I don't have any information on the injury(s). All I know is Coughlin lets him play so it can't be that bad. (Couglin wouldn't try to hurt the team would he?)

He's a good player but..the hardest hustle I ever saw out of him was this year in a play during preseason.

I mean if after the season the team comes out and says...Tuck had XYZ and battled through it I'll gladly take back my ***** comment. But right now...he doesn't really look like a warrior to me.

no but I do think it does show hes tough. Dude is out there with a neck and hamstring injury (now toe), coming off his best year as a professional and your now of the opinion hes a *****? It just doesn't make sense. The fact that he sat games makes him a *****? I just don't get it.

Then you tried to say him coming back and playing is somehow proof that he is a *****.

I would expect him to play if he could play. But if he didn't play well, I wouldn't call him a *****.

Your being FAR MOE presumptuous by saying hes just being a *****. Hes played through a painful injury that keeps WRs out for at least a month. Let alone playing DLine and making tackles with that shoulder and fending off blockers. Not only that hes MISSED time and not played like he has when hes healthy. I'd say its very easy to attribute his play to injury and ridiculous to say hes a ***** because hes injured.

Guy has 3 things wrong with him right now and hes out there playing - to say hes not out there being a warrior for us is crazy. What do you equate being a warrior as? Producing at a high level or playing through injury?

RoanokeFan
12-14-2011, 04:01 PM

Discuss...

Easy to say after the fact. Plus TT's and Goff's permanent (season) injuries, more than any other on defense, created a situation where players are being asked to to things and be places that aren't natural. it's all well and good to say " next man up", and I do say that often, but realistically you can suffer the number of injuries we have had on defense and then lament Reese's crystal ball being cloudy.

Tony Bruno
12-14-2011, 04:18 PM
We had no money and our coach was voted least desirable to play for... That should spell alot...

RoanokeFan
12-14-2011, 04:35 PM
We had no money and our coach was voted least desirable to play for... That should spell alot...

You're putting an awful lot of faith in that vote from 10% of the players in the NFL nonw of whom work for TC.

Tony Bruno
12-14-2011, 04:36 PM

You're putting an awful lot of faith in that vote from 10% of the players in the NFL nonw of whom work for TC.

Did he get that vote or not???

Kruunch
12-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Most of Reese's best signings were the small ones such as Kiwika Mitchell's one year deal.

Of his larger FA signings, I would argue that Canty and Boley have performed up to contract.

Rolle was a quality signing but obviously we way overpaid for him and continue to overpay for him. But in his defense, he's been under a mediocre DC who's asked him to free lance and then not, and then to free lance again (I'm not a fan of Rolle's mind you, just stating the facts).

Baas is looking like a garbage signing.

But I will say, it doesn't matter how good the ingredients are, if your cook sucks.

Tony Bruno
12-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Most of Reese's best signings were the small ones such as Kiwika Mitchell's one year deal.

Of his larger FA signings, I would argue that Canty and Boley have performed up to contract.

Rolle was a quality signing but obviously we way overpaid for him and continue to overpay for him. But in his defense, he's been under a mediocre DC who's asked him to free lance and then not, and then to free lance again (I'm not a fan of Rolle's mind you, just stating the facts).

Baas is looking like a garbage signing.

But I will say, it doesn't matter how good the ingredients are, if your cook sucks.

I dont think Rolle should be playing that role... He didnt in Arizona did he??? Either way Grandpa isnt cutting it and KP is hurt... I think with the lack of passrush and LBs we could have Troy P and Ed Reed back there and still look like that....

RoanokeFan
12-14-2011, 04:43 PM

Did he get that vote or not???

OK, you win.

burier
12-14-2011, 04:54 PM

I like Tuck, but thats not what it is.* I just can't believe THAT knock on him.

I mean ???

no but I do think it does show hes tough. Dude is out there with a neck and hamstring injury (now toe), coming off his best year as a professional and your now of the opinion hes a *****? It just doesn't make sense.* The fact that he sat games makes him a *****? I just don't get it.

Then you tried to say him coming back and playing is somehow proof that he is a *****.

I would expect him to play if he could play.* But if he didn't play well, I wouldn't call him a *****.

Your being FAR MOE presumptuous by saying hes just being a *****.* Hes played through a painful injury that keeps WRs out for at least a month.* Let alone playing DLine and making tackles with that shoulder and fending off blockers.* Not only that hes MISSED time and not played like he has when hes healthy. I'd say its very easy to attribute his play to injury and ridiculous to say hes a ***** because hes injured.

Guy has 3 things wrong with him right now and hes out there playing - to say hes not out there being a warrior for us is crazy. What do you equate being a warrior as? Producing at a high level or playing through injury?

Depends on the injury.

If its nondescript neck?? groin??? Leg???? TOE????? then I'm gonna say get your *** out there and play at high level. No one's 100%.

And where getting all mixed up about Tuck playing and not playing. I'm of the opinion that he could have played every game this season.

Had tuck missed every game this season until say week 6 and came back playing the way he's playing then I'd assume that he came back too early and hes still hurt. Benefit of the doubt.

But he's decided which games he's gonna play and now he's gotten to the point where he's decided which downs he's gonna play.

Centrally..you think he's hurt really bad which excuses his lack of production and I don't think he's hurt all that bad because if was he wouldn't be playing.

And that's where we differ. For whatever reason you tend to give Tuck the benefit of the doubt which I think is fine.

I don't because before this season he showed me things that always bugged me.

like strahan retiring and him really being rather vocal about not wanting to take a leadership role.

The whining and claiming to wear down due to double teams

and quite frankly the tendancy for the TV cameras to find him on the sideline when the D desperately needs a stop.

And I'm not sure what injury you can have that causes you not to hustle and give up on a play like he did against GB. Does he have brain damage?

When I consider the totality of what Tuck has shown me I tend to think he's probably dogging it more than he's really all that hurt.

Also you're hanging on to the P word too hard. Its not that serious. I just think Tuck is a little soft for a defensive Captain of an NFL football team.

Blue_Buddha
12-14-2011, 05:52 PM

Discuss...
we need to do better ...the Eagles need a consultant.

MattMeyerBud
12-14-2011, 06:12 PM

I mean ???

no but I do think it does show hes tough. Dude is out there with a neck and hamstring injury (now toe), coming off his best year as a professional and your now of the opinion hes a *****? It just doesn't make sense. The fact that he sat games makes him a *****? I just don't get it.

I would expect him to play if he could play. But if he didn't play well, I wouldn't call him a *****.

Your being FAR MOE presumptuous by saying hes just being a *****. Hes played through a painful injury that keeps WRs out for at least a month. Let alone playing DLine and making tackles with that shoulder and fending off blockers. Not only that hes MISSED time and not played like he has when hes healthy. I'd say its very easy to attribute his play to injury and ridiculous to say hes a ***** because hes injured.

Depends on the injury.

If its nondescript neck?? groin??? Leg???? TOE????? then I'm gonna say get your *** out there and play at high level. No one's 100%.

And where getting all mixed up about Tuck playing and not playing. I'm of the opinion that he could have played every game this season.

Had tuck missed every game this season until say week 6 and came back playing the way he's playing then I'd assume that he came back too early and hes still hurt. Benefit of the doubt.

But he's decided which games he's gonna play and now he's gotten to the point where he's decided which downs he's gonna play.

Centrally..you think he's hurt really bad which excuses his lack of production and I don't think he's hurt all that bad because if was he wouldn't be playing.

And that's where we differ. For whatever reason you tend to give Tuck the benefit of the doubt which I think is fine.

I don't because before this season he showed me things that always bugged me.

like strahan retiring and him really being rather vocal about not wanting to take a leadership role.

The whining and claiming to wear down due to double teams

and quite frankly the tendancy for the TV cameras to find him on the sideline when the D desperately needs a stop.

And I'm not sure what injury you can have that causes you not to hustle and give up on a play like he did against GB. Does he have brain damage?

When I consider the totality of what Tuck has shown me I tend to think he's probably dogging it more than he's really all that hurt.

Also you're hanging on to the P word too hard. Its not that serious. I just think Tuck is a little soft for a defensive Captain of an NFL football team.

sorry didn't see u responded

obviously his nagging injuries are more than the typical late seaosn wear down. Quite frankly this is **** hes been dealing wtih ALL season, not just now.

He did not decide which games. He sat out a portion of them and has been back ever since. Thats YOUR conspiracy theory that he did that.

Your theory is essentially: "If your good enough to play, then your good enough to play at your ceiling" and thats just ridiculous. Thats where you miss his toughness, hes still out there playing banged up and hes obviously not 100% at all.

The truth of it is that your views on playing injured aren't very realistic.

Now your crossing him being vocal vs being tough. These are two TOTALLY different attributes. I mean ****, look at Deion Sanders. One of THEE most vocal players ever, I wouldn't exactly consider him "tough". Dude was a nancy.

What play he gave up on?