PDA

View Full Version : Mike and Mike in the Morning & Espn First Take

miked1958
12-14-2011, 10:42 AM
Heard Mike and Mike say this morning (and on ESPN First Take in past weeks) that the teams in NFC East that they feel have best chance to knock off GB is Saints and get ready for it.. yes the Giants. They said it like this. The team with the best chance to knock off the Packers may not even make the playoffs. With weeks left it is not a lock the Gmen play in postseason. But they all think the giants match up the best and that they could turn on and play good defense for 1 game as they have shown this year with philly games and Pats.</P>

Interesting</P>

GameTime
12-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Heard Mike and Mike say this morning (and on ESPN First Take in past weeks) that the teams in NFC East that they feel have best chance to knock off GB is Saints and get ready for it.. yes the Giants. They said it like this. The team with the best chance to knock off the Packers may not even make the playoffs. With weeks left it is not a lock the Gmen play in postseason. But they all think the giants match up the best and that they could turn on and play good defense for 1 game as they have shown this year with philly games and Pats.</P>

Interesting</P>

</P>

thats nice and everything and I like Mike and Mike but its all ..." blah blah blah" until it actually gets done. Right now the defense cant stop anybody. The Bergen Record even had an article that gave the Giants D a bit of repreive by saying: "well the last three QBs they faced were Brees, Rodgers, and Romo"!!!! The ****ing lumped in Romo with those two to give the Giants D an excuse!!! Thats is a slap in the face putting Romo with those guys. </P>

Anyway.....the Giants D is not going to flip a switch. We, as fans, need to see somekind of steady improvement the next three weeks. If not.....Eli and the O will not be able to do enough to sustain wins to the end of the season or in the playoffs if they are lucky enough to get there. </P>

</P>

GMENAGAIN
12-14-2011, 11:12 AM
I see no signs that we will suddenly be able to play good defense . . . . especially against teams like the Packers and Saints.</P>

That being said, our offense can go toe-to-toe with almost anybody . . . . </P>

Mercury
12-14-2011, 11:16 AM
Give credit where it is due. Romo may not be better than Eli, but he's still a top tier QB. He didn't lose the game vs. us, Cowboys STs did.

buddy33
12-14-2011, 11:18 AM
They don't need the defense to become a completely different unit, they just need them to play like they did score the Saints game. I'd even take the defense that showed up last week but take away the iffy penalties and the 2 bad TD calls.

G-Man67
12-14-2011, 11:29 AM
well naturally they are gonna say we have a chance, since we just played a close game with them and followed it up with a dramatic comeback win

barran21
12-14-2011, 11:36 AM
We don't have a defense, let me say this i don't think there's a defense in this league that could stop them, but Texans, Ravens, Steelers, and 9ers, could slow them down and keep them the low 20's, but the Giants don't have that type of defense, it's week 15 and they are still having mental break downs in the secondary, that's ****ing unacceptable...

JJC7301
12-14-2011, 11:40 AM

Interesting</P>

</P>

thats nice and everything and I like Mike and Mike but its all ..." blah blah blah" until it actually gets done. Right now the defense cant stop anybody. The Bergen Record even had an article that gave the Giants D a bit of repreive by saying: "well the last three QBs they faced were Brees, Rodgers, and Romo"!!!! The ****ing lumped in Romo with those two to give the Giants D an excuse!!! Thats is a slap in the face putting Romo with those guys. </P>

Anyway.....the Giants D is not going to flip a switch. We, as fans, need to see somekind of steady improvement the next three weeks. If not.....Eli and the O will not be able to do enough to sustain wins to the end of the season or in the playoffs if they are lucky enough to get there. </P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

I've been hammering the Giants D as hard as anyone, but to be fair it's NOT easy going against Brees, Rodgers, and yes, Romo. The Dallas O is not chump-change. They've got talent and Romo's been having a fine season. But still, to allow the points that they have over the past few games is just crazy for a supposedly top-rated D. </P>

GameTime
12-14-2011, 11:49 AM

Interesting</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

I've been hammering the Giants D as hard as anyone, but to be fair it's NOT easy going against Brees, Rodgers, and yes, Romo. The Dallas O is not chump-change. They've got talent and Romo's been having a fine season. But still, to allow the points that they have over the past few games is just crazy for a supposedly top-rated D. </P>

</P>

First off Romo does not belong in the same sentence as Brees and Rodgers. Also its not the fact that they gave up a bunch to Romo but HOW they gave it up. Blown assigments, miscommunication, poor tackling, etc. I realize losing to Brees and Rodgers is not uncommon but other defenses have given those two teams more of a challenge. </P>

Meanhothead
12-14-2011, 12:21 PM
Fewell has over-coached this defense and has got them thinking too much and not just playing football.

Scheme guessing has just been horrible.

Watching the DBs looking at each other after a play "surprised" what just happened indicates our DC does not know how to scheme our opponents. After what happened last year with the Colts I've been very concerned and not surprised.

miked1958
12-14-2011, 12:37 PM

Interesting</P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

I know but i found it interesting that they thought that our D compared to the Saints D had a better chance of stopping them for 1game. I think part of it is that they think we are better suited to go up to GB and play in the subzero Temps and come out on Top more so then the Saints</P>

GiantPride27
12-14-2011, 12:44 PM
Give credit where it is due.* Romo may not be better than Eli, but he's still a top tier QB.* He didn't lose the game vs. us, Cowboys STs did.

no JPP took th game from the Cowgirls STs

NYGFaninILL
12-14-2011, 12:49 PM
I think it was marcellus Wiley who commented on our first 2games of the 07 season:

80 Points allowed in 2 games, no matter how you break it down is unexcusible

TuckYou
12-14-2011, 12:50 PM
I saw some ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNnews, ESPNU, NFL Network and FoxSports today and all I heard was...</P>

TIMTEBOWTIMTEBOWTIMTEBOWTIMTEBOW</P>

krygny
12-14-2011, 01:01 PM
Kinda funny, when you think about it ... I mean, not funny Ha Ha, ... but nobody came closer to beating the Pats in '07 and nobody has come closer to beating the Pack this year than the Giants.

Meanhothead
12-14-2011, 01:02 PM
Who?

barran21
12-14-2011, 01:52 PM
Kinda funny, when you think about it ... I mean, not funny Ha Ha, ... but nobody came closer to beating the Pats in '07 and nobody has come closer to beating the Pack this year than the Giants.

A stat to think about..

The defense under Spags in 07 gave up 351 points in 16 games.
Under Fewell this season 349 in 13 games....

burier
12-14-2011, 01:54 PM
someone let me know when the those two clowns eat crow for all that **** they were talking about Eli at the begining of the season. Then I'll check them out again.

Ruttiger711
12-14-2011, 02:00 PM

A stat to think about..

Another interesting stat i saw last night is the D has given up a total of 68 points in the last 2:00 of either half. Highest in the league.

ru_gmen55
12-14-2011, 02:05 PM
I don't find it all that unfair to give Romo all the credit in the world for what he has done this season. Outside of a few weeks early in the season, he has looked pretty damn good.

With that said, I found his performance to be "typical Romo" on Sunday. He made all the right plays at all the right times...except for ONE that he wishes he had back. If he hits Austin on that drive before the Giants go-ahead TD, the game very well may have been over. The big difference between Eli and Romo is that Eli has made a a habit of (even in games where he doesn't look great) making huge throws when the Giants REALLY need them.

But, looking back at the actual topic of the thread, while I think the Giants have a shot against pretty much anybody (I mean, they put up one hell of a fight against Green Bay), I still need to see more from this defense. It seems like once or twice a week they mess up a play that costs them big...this weekend it was the Dez Bryant 50-yard TD that almost sealed the game. You can't allow plays like that to occur and consider yourselves a legitimate threat. I'm loving what they have been doing on offense as far as putting points on the board, but they need to start finding ways to keep points off as well.

JMFP2
12-14-2011, 02:05 PM
I can understand putting Romo in there with Brees, Rodgers, and Brady. Romo is having a tremendous season.

Those 4 QBs will likely throw for 20,000+ yards this season.

Charlie Whitehurst is another story, though.

Before I totally throw Fewell under the bus, let's see what he does against Grossman and Sanchez.

TuckYou
12-14-2011, 02:37 PM

A stat to think about..

Another interesting stat i saw last night is the D has given up a total of 68 points in the last 2:00 of either half. Highest in the league.
</P>

Perrys system is extremely flawed coming down to a last possession. And unfortunately, most our games come down to that last possession, we just have to hope Eli is the one with the ball in his hands when the clock hits 0:00. </P>

Also, we gave up a Giants franchiseworst, 121 points in a 3 game span. </P>

redbeardxxv
12-14-2011, 02:39 PM

Interesting</P>

Meh, we already beat 'em once.

TuckYou
12-14-2011, 02:41 PM
I can understand putting Romo in there with Brees, Rodgers, and Brady. Romo is having a tremendous season. Those 4 QBs will likely throw for 20,000+ yards this season. Charlie Whitehurst is another story, though. Before I totally throw Fewell under the bus, let's see what he does against Grossman and Sanchez.</P>

Grossman already hung 300+ yards and2 TDs 0 INTs on us week 1. </P>

Our motto this season is outscore the other team cause we arent stopping them. </P>

RoanokeFan
12-14-2011, 02:53 PM
We don't have a defense, let me say this i don't think there's a defense in this league that could stop them, but Texans, Ravens, Steelers, and 9ers, could slow them down and keep them the low 20's, but the Giants don't have that type of defense, it's week 15 and they are still having mental break downs in the secondary, that's ****ing unacceptable...

But, you know, at some point in time, the mental errors will be corrected/under control. Who's to say that can't happen over the next three weeks?

RoanokeFan
12-14-2011, 02:54 PM
I can understand putting Romo in there with Brees, Rodgers, and Brady. Romo is having a tremendous season. Those 4 QBs will likely throw for 20,000+ yards this season. Charlie Whitehurst is another story, though. Before I totally throw Fewell under the bus, let's see what he does against Grossman and Sanchez.</p>

Grossman already hung 300+ yards and2 TDs 0 INTs on us week 1. </p>

<font color="#0000FF">Our motto this season is outscore the other team cause we arent stopping them. </font></p>

Yes, and as long as we can, we win games. We are so used to having a killer defense we're unnerved that it's now a distant memory. But TEAMS win games and this year it's on the offense.

Kruunch
12-14-2011, 02:56 PM

But, you know, at some point in time, the mental errors will be corrected/under control.* Who's to say that can't happen over the next three weeks?

Because it hasn't happened since 2008?

Just spit balling.

giantsforce
12-14-2011, 03:08 PM
Yeap. Weeik 15 and Coughlin is "gravely concerned" about the lack of communication in the defense getting burned constantly! And what have you done in 15 weeks to correct this Tom? Nothing as usual. This is not a new problem, it is something that has been happening on every single game, even the ones we won. The fish stinks from the head down and this fish has stunk for a long time form the head down.

Itlan
12-14-2011, 03:09 PM

Ravens came closest to beating the Patriots. In fact, they DID beat the Patriots, and the refs kept throwing flags to give Brady enough time to get that TD to Gaffney.

I will never forget that game, complete horse.... Ravens won that game, but the Pats got theirs in the end.

RoanokeFan
12-14-2011, 03:11 PM

But, you know, at some point in time, the mental errors will be corrected/under control. Who's to say that can't happen over the next three weeks?

Just spit balling.

It's just not in my nature to give up. I would have thrived on the Titanic [;)]

gmen46
12-14-2011, 03:36 PM

But, you know, at some point in time, the mental errors will be corrected/under control.* Who's to say that can't happen over the next three weeks?

Just spit balling.

It's just not in my nature to give up.* I would have thrived on the Titanic* [;)]

I'm with you on this, Roanoke.

In fact, every time I watch a movie about the Titanic, I keep thinking "THIS time it won't sink until everyone is rescued" :)

But I also admit the only thing I pin my hopes on at this point in the season, concerning our defense this year, is that I recall the Colts defense of 06 was pretty atrocious, until the post season when they did kick it up several gears on the way to their SB.

The 08 Cards had a similar experience in that their defense during the playoffs looked completely different from that of their regular season, and was one last-second perfect pass and catch from winning it all.

In fact, if not for the Harrison pick-6 on the 1 yard line (or wherever) right before the end of the half, it can be argued--and I do argue that-- the game would not have even been close enough for Ben-Holmes to pull off their last second miracle. Cards defense stepped up big time throughout the entire post season.

Gotta Believe, because what else do we have?

RoanokeFan
12-14-2011, 03:42 PM

Just spit balling.

It's just not in my nature to give up. I would have thrived on the Titanic [;)]

In fact, every time I watch a movie about the Titanic, I keep thinking "THIS time it won't sink until everyone is rescued" :)

But I also admit the only thing I pin my hopes on at this point in the season, concerning our defense this year, is that I recall the Colts defense of 06 was pretty atrocious, until the post season when they did kick it up several gears on the way to their SB.

The 08 Cards had a similar experience in that their defense during the playoffs looked completely different from that of their regular season, and was one last-second perfect pass and catch from winning it all.

In fact, if not for the Harrison pick-6 on the 1 yard line (or wherever) right before the end of the half, it can be argued--and I do argue that-- the game would not have even been close enough for Ben-Holmes to pull off their last second miracle. Cards defense stepped up big time throughout the entire post season.

Well said. I think we have to focus on the next game. Win that one and then focus on the next game. I've not been a huge fan of Eli's, which everyone knows, but I take my hat off to his play this year. I'm convinced he can win any game we're in and his receivers are, in my mind, the best 1,2, &amp; 3 in the league. No, don't ask me for stats, it's just how I feel.

Kruunch
12-14-2011, 03:48 PM

Just spit balling.

It's just not in my nature to give up.* I would have thrived on the Titanic* [;)]

Lol yeah I know ... but all my hopes for the Giants this year are hanging on the offense.

I wouldn't rate Fewell as bad as Sheridan (although his defense has given up more points this year then Sheridan's in 2009) but i wouldn't put him past mediocre at best. Considering our injuries and lack of depth, I just don't see the situation improving until next year.

At least we get KP back this week ...

gmen46
12-14-2011, 04:47 PM

Just spit balling.

Well said.* I think we have to focus on the next game.* Win that one and then focus on the next game.* I've not been a huge fan of Eli's, which everyone knows, but I take my hat off to his play this year.* I'm convinced he can win any game we're in and his receivers are, in my mind, the best 1,2, & 3 in the league.* No, don't ask me for stats, it's just how I feel.

I won't ask you for stats, because I believe the same thing.

Consider this, as well----
With admittedly 3 more games to play, nonetheless our defense this year has so far allowed 30+ points in 4 games, including 1 game for 40+ points.

In 2007, the year of our "vastly superior defense with the vastly superior DC", IN THE REGULAR SEASON we allowed 30+ points in 5 games including 1 game for 40+ points.

And, in both 2007 and 2011, one of those 30+ points allowed games include a game where the 30+ was a result of at least one pick-6 which put the opponent over 30 points, so the defense did not actually give up 30 points in those two games.

Then, in the post season of 2007, we allowed no more than 20 points--and that was to...............GB.

Interesting, no?

dinz
12-14-2011, 09:58 PM
packers and saints defenses havent been outstanding either.. hold grossman to 20 points, and i will feel better about defense.

Overdrive92
12-15-2011, 12:07 AM
I saw some ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNnews, ESPNU, NFL Network and FoxSports today and all I heard was...</P>

You forgot a little Chris Paul in there.

miked1958
12-15-2011, 09:02 AM
someone let me know when the those two clowns eat crow for all that **** they were talking about Eli at the begining of the season. Then I'll check them out again.</P>

Now their all ... uh well you know you cant spell elite without eli... losers... and greenberg is such a homer Jets fan its not even funny</P>

miked1958
12-15-2011, 09:12 AM
I don't find it all that unfair to give Romo all the credit in the world for what he has done this season. Outside of a few weeks early in the season, he has looked pretty damn good. With that said, I found his performance to be "typical Romo" on Sunday. He made all the right plays at all the right times...except for ONE that he wishes he had back. If he hits Austin on that drive before the Giants go-ahead TD, the game very well may have been over. The big difference between Eli and Romo is that Eli has made a a habit of (even in games where he doesn't look great) making huge throws when the Giants REALLY need them. But, looking back at the actual topic of the thread, while I think the Giants have a shot against pretty much anybody (I mean, they put up one hell of a fight against Green Bay), I still need to see more from this defense. It seems like once or twice a week they mess up a play that costs them big...this weekend it was the Dez Bryant 50-yard TD that almost sealed the game. You can't allow plays like that to occur and consider yourselves a legitimate threat. I'm loving what they have been doing on offense as far as putting points on the board, but they need to start finding ways to keep points off as well.</P>

Yes I agree. I have no problem if you DB is going stride for stride with the WR and just gets beat on a good play. I can live with that. But to have these TOTAL Breakdowns where there is no Defender within 15/20 yards of the WR that is unacceptable. That should not happen on any level of Football. Highschool, College or Pro. You learn enough to be able to at least have decent coverage. I think the last 3/4 games it has been more and more noticeable due to the rookie LBs and prince. </P>

The teams we have played have used that to their advantage and it has hurt us with all the missed assignments and blown plays. hopefully going forward they can work through it and having boley back will help. Also getting Osi back on the D line will help as well. if we can get pressure off 2sides on the qb it will create more sacks number 1 and it will put enough pressure on them to where they have to get the ball out quicker meaning less time for the mistakes to occure. The problem with the young guys sometimes isnt the lack of exp more so then not us not getting pressure onqb and a LB or DB not being able to stay with their guys forever</P>