PDA

View Full Version : IS Fewell gone at the end of the year?

elifan10
12-14-2011, 11:48 AM
I read that his contract is up and how can we extend him after this nightmare of a year for the defense?

JJC7301
12-14-2011, 11:50 AM
I sincerely hope he is gone. I did not think that his defense was all that great last year to begin with. They had INTs, but consistently blew up in big moments even last year (i.e. Eagles game). I'm not an X's and O's guy, but there doesnt' ever seem to be adjustments on his part.</P>

I still don't understand why we signed a coordinator from the Buffalo Bills. Still don't get it to this day.</P>

MikeIsaGiant
12-14-2011, 11:55 AM
I doubt he's gone, and I have mixed feelings about it.

I want him gone, but then I don't. I can understand what is wrong with this defense and I think it's mixed assignments most of the time. This defense does not know where they are most of the time, being that we got beat 2 times wide open last game.

Only problem with Perry is the schemes he keeps changing. Jekyll and Hyde I'd love to call him.

I believe our FO will blame this defensive collapse on the injuries we have acquired, even though I don't believe that is a legitimate excuse at all.

Losing TT was HUGE, but to not have depth to replace him could all be on the FO and other players not stepping up to the plate.

I'll have to say NO, he won't be gone next year

TroyArcher
12-14-2011, 11:56 AM
I read that his contract is up and how can we extend him after this nightmare of a year for the defense?</P>

I know the Giants like stability but I don't know how they could justify keeping him. The past two years have been embarrasing for a team that prides itself on its defense. The only shot is if he figures out something real quick and the Defense turns it around the next few weeks. Highly unlikely. </P>

JJC7301
12-14-2011, 11:56 AM
I doubt he's gone, and I have mixed feelings about it. I want him gone, but then I don't. I can understand what is wrong with this defense and I think it's mixed assignments most of the time. This defense does not know where they are most of the time, being that we got beat 2 times wide open last game. Only problem with Perry is the schemes he keeps changing. Jekyll and Hyde I'd love to call him. I believe our FO will blame this defensive collapse on the injuries we have acquired, even though I don't believe that is a legitimate excuse at all. Losing TT was HUGE, but to not have depth to replace him could all be on the FO and other players not stepping up to the plate. I'll have to say NO, he won't be gone next year</P>

I agree with your assessment, but I just hope he's gone. I was not impressed last year either.</P>

MikeIsaGiant
12-14-2011, 11:58 AM
I doubt he's gone, and I have mixed feelings about it. I want him gone, but then I don't. I can understand what is wrong with this defense and I think it's mixed assignments most of the time. This defense does not know where they are most of the time, being that we got beat 2 times wide open last game. Only problem with Perry is the schemes he keeps changing. Jekyll and Hyde I'd love to call him. I believe our FO will blame this defensive collapse on the injuries we have acquired, even though I don't believe that is a legitimate excuse at all. Losing TT was HUGE, but to not have depth to replace him could all be on the FO and other players not stepping up to the plate. I'll have to say NO, he won't be gone next year</P>

I agree with your assessment, but I just hope he's gone.* I was not impressed last year either.</P>

I agree with you as well, I just wish Spags was back to DC this team, not to HEAD COACH, but for DC, because that is where he belongs.

Kruunch
12-14-2011, 12:02 PM
I read that his contract is up and how can we extend him after this nightmare of a year for the defense?

He's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO gone after this year.

You don't give up that many points and keep your job as a DC.

SweetZombieJesus
12-14-2011, 12:05 PM
If they keep Coughlin that will be his 5th DC in 9 years. And the players will have to learn a new playbook yet again.

MikeIsaGiant
12-14-2011, 12:07 PM
If they keep Coughlin that will be his 5th DC in 9 years.* And the players will have to learn a new playbook yet again.

Very true, and probably another year of horrible defense unless this team can adjust quickly.

We need a LEADER on this team and quickly. It doesn't seem we have that yet.

Is JPP fully capable of becoming a leader next year? Does anyone know if he's vocal in the locker room?

BigBlue1971
12-14-2011, 12:10 PM
i think it really depends on how far we go in the playoffs with his defense.</P>

hes not who i thought he was. his d plays reckless and gives up too many big plays.</P>

i prefer someone who can provide more consistency from a defensive standpoint.</P>

i think hes gone ifthey play as they have the last several games.</P>

</P>

NYGFaninILL
12-14-2011, 12:35 PM
Double post, see below

NYGFaninILL
12-14-2011, 12:35 PM
To be honest with you, perry does get a lot of blame for stuff that's not really all his fault.
Believe it not, that was tremendous playcalling in the final minute of the GB game. If not for JWill's rookie mistake to go after the ball instead if tackling him, or jordy besting will Blackmon, we might have another story on our hands.

That's just one example, there have been many "rookie mistakes" this year, which will get better over time. I think the schemes have been great for the most part.

Were a great pass rush team that's not pressuring the QB and don't have the personel to adjust do a different kind of defensive strategy. and I think that's the main reason were giving up so many points

JJC7301
12-14-2011, 12:39 PM
To be honest with you, perry does get a lot of blame for stuff that's not really all his fault. Believe it not, that was tremendous playcalling in the final minute of the GB game. If not for JWill's rookie mistake to go after the ball instead if tackling him, or jordy besting will Blackmon, we might have another story on our hands. That's just one example, there have been many "rookie mistakes" this year, which will get better over time. I think the schemes have been great for the most part. Were a great pass rush team that's not pressuring the QB and don't have the personel to adjust do a different kind of team, and I think that's the main reason were giving up so many points</P>

If Coughlin is around for one more year (which I hope he is), then so will Fewell because they're going to sink-or-swim together at this point and it only makes sense. It would not make sense to bring in another DC when the HC may not even be around after 2012.</P>

I've never been happy with Fewell, but the FO refusing to address the LB position is not Fewell's fault. I don't think he's horrible, and he's definitely better than Sheridan, but even last year they crapped out in big spots. </P>

JimC
12-14-2011, 12:41 PM
If they keep Coughlin that will be his 5th DC in 9 years. And the players will have to learn a new playbook yet again.

I agree......you just can't keep changing DC's and the system. I believe some decisions were made last year because of the lockout.

miked1958
12-14-2011, 12:47 PM
I read that his contract is up and how can we extend him after this nightmare of a year for the defense?</P>

Id hate to say this but he may get a pass due to all of the injuries on D.</P>

T-Murda84
12-14-2011, 12:47 PM
Sadly Fewell will be gone....and we will bring in a new coordinatoor, and get the same results. Hopefully if we get a new coordinatoor, he would bench Rolle for his poor play, Bench Tuck, and give JPP the full role at Right End, no matter how Osi feels.

We just need a coordinatoor with some balls to do that. Fewell was not bad X's and O's wise...he just needed some balls. I was proud of Sheridan because he ACTUALLLY benched Osi and Robbins. I just wish Fewell would make some moves.

YATittle1962
12-14-2011, 01:24 PM
To be honest with you, perry does get a lot of blame for stuff that's not really all his fault.
Believe it not, that was tremendous playcalling in the final minute of the GB game. If not for JWill's rookie mistake to go after the ball instead if tackling him, or jordy besting will Blackmon, we might have another story on our hands.

That's just one example, there have been many "rookie mistakes" this year, which will get better over time. I think the schemes have been great for the most part.

Were a great pass rush team that's not pressuring the QB and don't have the personel to adjust do a different kind of defensive strategy. and I think that's the main reason were giving up so many points

he gave more different looks in that Packer game than I have ever seem him call

called a good game.

the packers are just a machine

and people give Fewell flack for having Blackmon on Nelson.......what are the other options?

Prince?...not sure he could done anything more than Will did

Ross? he is horrible manned up.....possibly the worst on the team post injury ....plus he was on Jennings....which is worse than Blackmon on Nelson

Webster? then whos on Jones?

not to mention on the previous play Webster was on Nelson and got smoked down the sideline but Rodgers decided to go to Finley

we are short handed people......all this Fewell blame is somewhat warranted ....but at some point you have to look at what he is working with

JMFP2
12-14-2011, 01:40 PM
Fewell's been dealt with alot of injuries....both the CBs and the LBs have been hit hard. Two of the biggest guys on D - Tuck and Osi - have been injured to the point of not being able to contribute for most of the year.

Still, Fewell deserves criticism. There is a world of difference between a Spags blitz and a Fewell blitz. With Spags, he would show blitz and drop out, or else come with delayed blitzes, or from different personnel. Fewell's blitzes look apparent from the outset.

Also, the amount of busted coverages tell me he's not on the same page with all of his players.

However, Fewell has also just run up against 4 QBs - Brees, Romo, Brady, and Rodgers - that will likely pass for 20,000+ yards this season.....that's just sick.

I'd really like to see how the season plays out. And it would be nice to have a somewhat healthy defense, too. T2 was (next to JPP) our best defender. There is a world of difference between a healthy Tuck and Osi and what we've seen this season.

But, if the Giants fail to make the playoffs, and if the defense continues to bend and break, then I couldn't argue with replacing the DC. Every team has injuries, and it's up to the coaching staff to get guys ready to play.

buddy33
12-14-2011, 01:42 PM
No he is not. They are using their 10th different CB now and he was sitting home just a few weeks ago. He lost his MLB in the pre season and was forced to use rookies.

Why is it do hard to understand that this teams defense has been over run with injuries? Osi has been in and out of the line up and Tuck has been hurting since the pre season.

JMFP2
12-14-2011, 01:45 PM
I have absolutely nothing to base this on, but something tells me the Giants defense improves - ALOT - from now until the end of the season.

Maybe it's some subtle changes, or maybe getting some guys back (KP, for example), or maybe just the fact that they realize they have an offense that can win the game if they can just make a ****ing stop every now and then.

Again, this opinion is based on pure faith, which is sort of absurd given what we've all seen the last few games.

Jotun_Fan
12-14-2011, 01:49 PM
I have absolutely nothing to base this on, but something tells me the Giants defense improves - ALOT - from now until the end of the season.

Maybe it's some subtle changes, or maybe getting some guys back (KP, for example), or maybe just the fact that they realize they have an offense that can win the game if they can just make a ****ing stop every now and then.

Again, this opinion is based on pure faith, which is sort of absurd given what we've all seen the last few games.

How much worse could it get than 287,734 points in the last three games (knock on wood.)

giantsforce
12-14-2011, 02:54 PM
i think it really depends on how far we go in the playoffs with his defense.</p>

hes not who i thought he was. his d plays reckless and gives up too many big plays.</p>

i prefer someone who can provide more consistency from a defensive standpoint.</p>

i think hes gone ifthey play as they have the last several games.</p>

</p>If Coughlin is here, Fewell is going nowhere unless he is given a HC position. I do not think there is an owner or GM stupid enough to give this fool any job. The only fool is Coughlin.

So if Coughlin is back next year get ready for some of the same crap.