PDA

View Full Version : Toomer on Sirius this morning

Ruttiger711
09-05-2012, 09:56 AM
His Eli/Romo comparison is old news but since he's on this morning and the game is on tonight, he's being called out by callers.

There was just a caller on, and basically gave his view that what makes the better QB is the one who makes the best of his opportunities in the crunch.... Eli has and Romo hasnt.

Toomer's stance today and boilerplate reply to callers is that he's tired of people saying that it was all the QB, Bradshaw, Starr and the like were all part of great teams which I have yet to hear a caller say "its all about the qb"...

Love you Toomer - but you're being too stubborn... seems like he's got a major bug up his butt about the qb position and its glory in general.

Should be interesting in the next couple of hours that he's still on.

miked1958
09-05-2012, 09:59 AM
I am tired of all these X players like him and Tiki giving no love to the Gmen. I know that they have to be objective and not report like a HOMER.. but i think they are actually going way overboard to not be assused of that

Buddy333
09-05-2012, 10:14 AM
It's his opinion. He thinks Romo is better than Eli.

miked1958
09-05-2012, 10:23 AM
It's his opinion. He thinks Romo is better than Eli.maybe stat wise using regular season numbers. sure. but for an overall QB you gotta pick Eli everytime for his ability to THRIVE under pressure when the game is on the line in the Reg season, playoffs and SBs.... ROMO cant even come close to that

Buddy333
09-05-2012, 10:28 AM
No, he doesn't have to pick Eli. He said he likes Romo better and that is his opinion. He said it. He also said once that if both QB's where available to draft and he was a GM he would pick Romo over Eli. He likes Romo better and that is it.

GameTime
09-05-2012, 10:34 AM
No, he doesn't have to pick Eli. He said he likes Romo better and that is his opinion. He said it. He also said once that if both QB's where available to draft and he was a GM he would pick Romo over Eli. He likes Romo better and that is it.
that makes him a ******.....:rolleyes:

Ruttiger711
09-05-2012, 10:35 AM

Yes ... then he put his own asterix on his statement and said "based soley on stats" or somethng to that effect...

and now anytime its been brought up today he's ram-rodding the conversation shift to a team's success/failures are not soley due to a qb. He's been back peddling on his opinion since he's made it.

It's a flawed opinion. Relying only stats as a way to be objective works in one place, fantasy football.

miked1958
09-05-2012, 10:39 AM
No, he doesn't have to pick Eli. He said he likes Romo better and that is his opinion. He said it. He also said once that if both QB's where available to draft and he was a GM he would pick Romo over Eli. He likes Romo better and that is it.Well he can like eli better all he wants. just because someone says something doesnt make it true. the facts are the facts. as i stated above. its a no brainer

Buddy333
09-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Oh I'm not saying he is right, but he can have his opinion. The only thing I don't like is that after he said it he tried to back peddle his way out of it. He said based on stats he liked Romo better. He said if he was a GM he would draft Romo over Eli. That to me says he thinks Romo is the better QB. Then he tried to say he would rather play with Eli though. Really? So in the quest to win Championships you would rather play with a guy who is not as good as Romo in your opinion? Come on Toomer. You like Romo better and that's fine. I don't agree, but stick to what you said. You would not rather play with Eli.

Ruttiger711
09-05-2012, 10:50 AM
ok so now an astute cowboy fan just called in and said... "if not for the great D that Eli had in that first superbowl (2007), he would not have had the opportunity to make the comeback" ... and Toomer's "yep"s and "uh-huhs" are killing me

not a knock on the D's fantastic superbowl performance.... but the opportunity they gave eli in that superbowl was letting them get the go-ahead score!!

Eli2Shockey4aTD
09-05-2012, 11:00 AM
So silly, every QB needs a defense to at least stop the other team once in awhile. Giants defense could not have won without Eli either. Brees had a good defense when he won it. Rodgers had a good one when he won it. Brady needed his to slow down the greatest show on turf. Eli is an easy target because of the slow start to his career and his name is Manning. Not to mention he ignores his detractors which pisses them off more.

JB456
09-05-2012, 11:01 AM
What it boils down to is this: Who gives a flying frig what a QB does in the regular season? Can someone have a signature game in the regular season? The only purpose of the regular season is to be good enough to get to the playoffs. How can you say any QB is great when he hasn't shown up in big games? Regular season stats are nice but it’s like buying a Ferrari without an engine.

GameTime
09-05-2012, 11:09 AM
What it boils down to is this: Who gives a flying frig what a QB does in the regular season? Can someone have a signature game in the regular season? The only purpose of the regular season is to be good enough to get to the playoffs. How can you say any QB is great when he hasn't shown up in big games? Regular season stats are nice but it’s like buying a Ferrari without an engine.
Not really....Marino is regarded as one of thebest and his post season success was non existent...
So the reg season does matter to a degree. You wont even get to the post season if your reg season stinks. Yo have be a a very good QB the majority of the time whether its post season or reg season to have any measure of success.

GMan-67
09-05-2012, 11:12 AM
he just took that position for shock value ... it's like Skip Bayless saying that Tebow is a great QB ... hey that would be good radio ... put Amani on a lie detector :)

Ruttiger711
09-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Ok - cherry on top...

Toomer's pick is Giants 21-17... due to:

Dallas' injuries
Giants running game of Bradshaw and Wilson...and their D. PERIOD .... not a breath about the offense....

All the while Ross Tucker is throwing in jabs like "Romo should be able to overcome the injuries since he is better......right?!"

JB456
09-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Not really....Marino is regarded as one of thebest and his post season success was non existent...
So the reg season does matter to a degree. You wont even get to the post season if your reg season stinks. Yo have be a a very good QB the majority of the time whether its post season or reg season to have any measure of success.

Marino is the exception, not the rule. He led his team to the playoffs 10 times and threw for over 4,500 yards in the playoffs alone. Also, Marino was never known as a choke artist (botching holds and overthrowing wide open receivers). You just made me throw up a little in my mouth by mentioning Marino in the same conversation as Romo.

I'm sure Marino would trade at least five of those trips (Maybe even eight) to the playoffs in exchange for one ring.

Giant stuck in Texas
09-05-2012, 11:24 AM
I am tired of all these X players like him and Tiki giving no love to the Gmen. I know that they have to be objective and not report like a HOMER.. but i think they are actually going way overboard to not be assused of that Strahan is a huge HOMER and look how well that worked out for him.

Eli2Shockey4aTD
09-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Marino is an odd case. Very mediocre at best team all around, but still managed to lift them up to be compete.

Ruttiger711
09-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Strahan is a huge HOMER and look how well that worked out for him.

Strahan has a personality though

Ruttiger711
09-05-2012, 11:31 AM
....and now Toomer actually used the "Austin lost the pass in the lights" excuse to defend Romo...

i dont he's doing it for shock value... i just think he WAYYYYY overcompensated for trying to be objective and dug himself into a hole.

BParcells777
09-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Toomer is right. Over the whole NFL career Romo has put up the better stats until last year which was a wash.

The Cowboys front 7 however is nowhere near the Giants front 7........that's the big difference, and will likely determine the outcome tonight.

I'm really hoping Eli can repeat the spectacular year he had last year and win another Lombardi. Tonight will tell us a lot about that. I saw signs in the pre-season Eli had lost a bit of that terrific accuracy he displayed last year....I hope that was just pre-season blahs

Sanntee31
09-05-2012, 11:55 AM
Ross is giving Toomer the business about saying that Romo was better. He has been on it since his show this morning. I will say this....Toomer is getting in some jabs at other teams. One caller said he was a Steeler fan and would take Big-Ben over all of them in the 4th quarter and Toomer said "...ok, we'll see how that works out for you." lol

Ruttiger711
Toomer is right. Over the whole NFL career Romo has put up the better stats until last year which was a wash.

The Cowboys front 7 however is nowhere near the Giants front 7........that's the big difference, and will likely determine the outcome tonight.

I'm really hoping Eli can repeat the spectacular year he had last year and win another Lombardi. Tonight will tell us a lot about that. I saw signs in the pre-season Eli had lost a bit of that terrific accuracy he displayed last year....I hope that was just pre-season blahs

Eli was god awful last preseason with people using it as a basis that he would throw for even more interceptions than the year before.

GameTime
Marino is the exception, not the rule. He led his team to the playoffs 10 times and threw for over 4,500 yards in the playoffs alone. Also, Marino was never known as a choke artist (botching holds and overthrowing wide open receivers). You just made me throw up a little in my mouth by mentioning Marino in the same conversation as Romo.

I'm sure Marino would trade at least five of those trips (Maybe even eight) to the playoffs in exchange for one ring.
are you kidding me....I wasnt comparinig marino to Romo at all. i was responding to your comment about reg season means nothing. You are right Marino is the exception and not the rule. Hey....I dont think Romo is better than Eli. But Romo is a good to very good QB post season or not.

BParcells777
09-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Eli was god awful last preseason with people using it as a basis that he would throw for even more interceptions than the year before.

Is that correct? My memory is not that good.....I hope you're right on

Ruttiger711
09-05-2012, 12:23 PM

I can't give you stats or anything but it was definitely not a preseason that left people thinking Eli turned it around.

Harooni
09-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Toomer makes a solid point, what if our D doesnt hold brady under 18 points both times? Teams win SB's or else peyton would have more and marino a few.

Ruttiger711
09-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Toomer makes a solid point, what if our D doesnt hold brady under 18 points both times? Teams win SB's or else peyton would have more and marino a few.

No doubt that its a solid point... but Toomer was using as a counter to a caller saying Eli wins when it counts and Romo doesnt and it wasnt in just reference to the superbowls. Kind of a parallel arguement.

Ruttiger711
09-05-2012, 12:32 PM

found it

27/55 for a 49% completion rate - Total of 314 yds, 0tds, 2 ints - he didnt play in the 4th game.

GameTime
09-05-2012, 12:33 PM
Ok...so the Giants and Eli are better than Romo and the Cowboys.......

Harooni
09-05-2012, 12:33 PM
Eli wins when it counts can also be because the D gets him the ball back till the O scores. Romo has a horrible secondary and that is dallas's weak spot. for example if his D holds us to 17 points, in last years last game ,they probably win. So it is all relative how the rest of your team plays, its not all about the QB as toomer explained.

JB456
09-05-2012, 12:34 PM
are you kidding me....I wasnt comparinig marino to Romo at all. i was responding to your comment about reg season means nothing. You are right Marino is the exception and not the rule. Hey....I dont think Romo is better than Eli. But Romo is a good to very good QB post season or not.

I knew you didn't think Romo is anything close to Marino but just the fact that his name was brought up in the same conversation made me queasy.

Now, lets see what Romo does in a game that has national exposure. I'm thinking that the Giants are going to shut Murray down (less than 50 yards) and everything is going to be on Romo.

Harooni
09-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Ok...so the Giants and Eli are better than Romo and the Cowboys....... id agree with that.

GameTime
09-05-2012, 12:37 PM
id agree with that.

however I still think Eli is a better overall QB than Romo. I certainly dont agree with Toomer with starting a team and picking Romo over Eli. But thats just me.

CowboysSuck
09-05-2012, 12:46 PM
that makes him a ******.....:rolleyes:

touche

Toomer is a ****

BuffyBlueII
09-05-2012, 12:52 PM
ok so now an astute cowboy fan just called in and said... "if not for the great D that Eli had in that first superbowl (2007), he would not have had the opportunity to make the comeback" ... and Toomer's "yep"s and "uh-huhs" are killing me

not a knock on the D's fantastic superbowl performance.... but the opportunity they gave eli in that superbowl was letting them get the go-ahead score!!

That “great D” in 2007 was ranked 17th and played very inspired and overachieved in playoff and SuperBowl XXII. The opening drive of that game where we held the ball for 9:59 for the longest opening drive in SuperBowl history set the tone for the game, kept Tom Brady on the sidelines for all that time and ate up enough clock that NE Patriots didn’t score till 2nd quarter was a definitive defensive statement in its own right. Also that NE Patriots defensive was ranked 4th in NFL that year and that shows just how great they were because they had one of the greatest offenses of all time. That defense was underrated and Eli Manning came through when he had to against them.

That “great D” in 2011 was ranked 27th and granted we got healthy and D played exceptionally well and overachieved throughout the playoffs and SuperBowl, lets not lose sight of the fact that Eli Manning gave one of The Greatest performances by a QB in SuperBowl history and completely controlled the flow, dictated the tempo and orchestrated the terms of that game. Our 38 minutes TOP was brilliant. Eli Manning and NY Giants offense keeping the magnificent Tom Brady and NE Patriots offense on the bench for 38 minutes was The Best defense from our team that day.

Our defense played their hearts out in both SuperBowl XLII as well as SuperBowl XLVI but let us not lose sight of the fact that we are an offense first team, that is now the identity of NY Giants and has been for quite some time. Eli Manning’s 4th quarters and game winning drives in both SuperBowl XLII as well as SuperBowl XLVI were legendary. In fact his entire performance for SuperBowl XLVI was epic and will be remembered with awe.

I think Tony Romo gets a lot of criticism because he has had some major chokes at some key times throughout his career so far. I do think he is a very good QB and at some point he is going to come through in the clutch. However, I do not think he is on the same level as Eli Manning and I don’t think he ever will be.

I think that Amani Toomer made a comment about thinking Tony Romo is better because he wanted to sound like a smart impartial analyst and maybe because he does in fact think that he is better than Eli Manning. Then he started taking some heat and has had to defend his position and is coming off very defensive. That is what I think the situation is with Amani Toomer. I don’t think he is making these comments and taking his stance out of any dislike or animosity for Eli Manning. I do however think that when Tiki Barber makes his disparaging comments about Eli Manning that he does it out of some animosity and dislike toward him. Also, I think that Kurt Warner’s comments about Eli Manning maybe having to do a little more than he has at this point of his career to be a first ballot Hall of Famer is his honest opinion and is not biased out of any animosity or dislike. Heck, it was on one of those yearly season wrap up videos or something that Eli Manning stated that in 2004 that Kurt Warner helped him as much as possible and went out of his way to take him under his wing and that he would always be grateful for that.

That was just my two sense and I have been posting quite a bit as I have been on convalesent leave for the past 3 weeks and will be for 3 more. I really love this board and love posting here. This is a wonderful board and I always look forward to reading as well as posting here.

I bELIeve.

gumby74
09-05-2012, 01:41 PM
Yes ... then he put his own asterix on his statement and said "based soley on stats" or somethng to that effect...

and now anytime its been brought up today he's ram-rodding the conversation shift to a team's success/failures are not soley due to a qb. He's been back peddling on his opinion since he's made it.

It's a flawed opinion. Relying only stats as a way to be objective works in one place, fantasy football.

It's far less flawed then saying someone is better because he plays for the Giants or is your favorite player.

Ruttiger711
09-05-2012, 02:08 PM
It's far less flawed then saying someone is better because he plays for the Giants or is your favorite player.

dont disagree - not one caller said that though.

Giant stuck in Texas
09-05-2012, 03:01 PM
Strahan has a personality though

True...http://www.freesmileys.org/emoticons/emoticon-monster-002.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/emoticons.php)

StrahanTheMan
09-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Eli - Makes the throw to Tyree that is caught on his helmet in a clutch moment

Romo - Catches the snap on his helmet and falls over in a clutch moment