PDA

View Full Version : Three Signs That Perry Fewell Is An Idiot.

burier
12-14-2011, 12:55 PM
I was pulling for the guy but he seems to miss things that should not be missed. He's an idiot and should be fired.

First Sign That He's An Idiot:

Last season he thought that he somehow would outsmart Peyton Manning by filling the field with DBs..which the Colts prompty ran all over and had the game out of hand by the end of the first quarter.

Second Sign That He's An Idiot:

last Season allows the Miracle In The Meadowlands Part 2 by simply refusing to use any sort of rotation to get some players a rest. We're talking about a scheme that was all about relentless pursuit on the most mobile QB in the history of the game. Guys are not machines..they get tired. He left players in that should have been out and we lose in embarassing fashion and watch our playoff hopes go down the tubes.

Third Sign That He's An Idiot:

INSISTS on rushing three men on third and long despite the fact that it doesn't work. When it has...."Worked" it would have worked better with a 4th rusher. His defense has no philosophy in two years straight.

Once is happenstance, Twice is a coincidence, Three times a trend.

Honorable Mention:

Plays a gimmick 4-2-5 defense that is proven to be ineffective with the current roster. Refuses to try something else.

Plays Zone coverage despite man coverage being the player's strength and despite the players being visably unimpressed with the scheme. Conversely does play man when matchups are not favorable.

Continues to play Deon Grant despite his best play of the year being a fake injury on national television

Continues to Play Justin Tuck despite Justin Tuck being completely ineffective.

Continues to leave rookie DBs on superstar deep threats

Fails to get Kiwi enough Reps at D end

Fails to get rookie linebackers ready to play. Allows a marginal linebacker to come in off his couch 3/4s of the way through the season and show all of them up.

Fails to understand that Aaron Ross cannot cover. Puts Ross in bump and Run coverage on third down...about 4 inches away from an epic fail.

Made defensive players wear wristbands

JJC7301
12-14-2011, 01:01 PM
I was pulling for the guy but he seems to miss things that should not be missed. He's an idiot and should be fired. First Sign That He's An Idiot: Last season he thought that he somehow would outsmart Peyton Manning by filling the field with DBs..which the Colts prompty ran all over and had the game out of hand by the end of the first quarter. Second Sign That He's An Idiot: last Season allows the Miracle In The Meadowlands Part 2 by simply refusing to use any sort of rotation to get some players a rest. We're talking about a scheme that was all about relentless pursuit on the most mobile QB in the history of the game. Guys are not machines..they get tired. He left players in that should have been out and we lose in embarassing fashion and watch our playoff hopes go down the tubes. Third Sign That He's An Idiot: INSISTS on rushing three men on third and long despite the fact that it doesn't work. When it has...."Worked" it would have worked better with a 4th rusher. His defense has no philosophy in two years straight. Once is happenstance, Twice is a coincidence, Three times a trend. Honorable Mention: Plays a gimmick 4-2-5 defense that is proven to be ineffective with the current roster. Refuses to try something else. Plays Zone coverage despite man coverage being the player's strength and despite the players being visably unimpressed with the scheme. Conversely does play man when matchups are not favorable. Continues to play Deon Grant despite his best play of the year being a fake injury on national television Continues to Play Justin Tuck despite Justin Tuck being completely ineffective. Continues to leave rookie DBs on superstar deep threats Fails to get Kiwi enough Reps at D end Fails to get rookie linebackers ready to play. Allows a marginal linebacker to come in off his couch 3/4s of the way through the season and show all of them up. Fails to understand that Aaron Ross cannot cover. Puts Ross in bump and Run coverage on third down...about 4 inches away from an epic fail. Made defensive players wear wristbands</P>

<FONT color=#ff0000>We'll just continue to blame injuries because surely NO other DC in the league could EVER make up for the losses of Goff and TT. </FONT></P>

<FONT color=#000000>Fewell is a mediocre DC who's defense played well against mediocre teams last year. This year, throw in some injuries and they are just roadkill. Then again, injuries to Tuck and Osi don't help either. On the other hand, this D wasn't that great earlier this year when Tuck and Osi were healthy.</FONT></P>

NYGFaninILL
12-14-2011, 01:07 PM
There are so many holes with your logic, it's not even funny.

2 of your "signs" happened last season, for one.

We dint have the personel to run a different type if D! We're a team that's notorious for the pass rush, and were not getting to the QB at all!!! And you wonder why our DB's are getting burned?

You forget that Chase Blackburn, the man who "came off his couch" was with the giants fir the past 6 years. He knows how this team works, and the linebackers who he's "showing up" (not boley, of course, he held witten to only 14 yards last week)are ROOKIES!!! I would hope an 8 year veteran could show up a buck of rookies anyway of the week!

And the last point, benching all these players...who would you start instead? Were so depleted on defense it's not even funny. You think wil Blackmon and Tyler sash (maybe one day for sash, i like him. But not now) are better than Aaron Ross and Antrel rolle?

You think tollefson can play better than Justin Tuck???

I'm just glad your not the Defensive coordinator, we wouldn't even be in a playoff race.

burier
12-14-2011, 01:21 PM
There are so many holes with your logic, it's not even funny.

2 of your "signs" happened last season, for one.

We dint have the personel to run a different type if D! We're a team that's notorious for the pass rush, and were not getting to the QB at all!!! And you wonder why our DB's are getting burned?

You forget that Chase Blackburn, the man who "came off his couch" was with the giants fir the past 6 years. He knows how this team works, and the linebackers who he's "showing up" (not boley, of course, he held witten to only 14 yards last week)are ROOKIES!!! I would hope an 8 year veteran could show up a buck of rookies anyway of the week!

And the last point, benching all these players...who would you start instead? Were so depleted on defense it's not even funny. You think wil Blackmon and Tyler sash (maybe one day for sash, i like him. But not now) are better than Aaron Ross and Antrel rolle?

You think tollefson can play better than Justin Tuck???

I'm just glad your not the Defensive coordinator, we wouldn't even be in a playoff race.

I'm sorry. Did fewell not coordinate last year? Oh he did? So those first two points are valid? Great thanks for chiming in.

I don't forget that Chase Blackburn was on the team before. But he was cut...He's not a world beater. When he was on the team he was primarily a special teams player. Doesn't excuse the roster with rookie Linebackers who can't play. or you can't get ready to play. Being a rookie is an excuse for getting beat a couple times by a savy vet...Being Rookie is an excuse for making the quote "Rookie mistake". Being a rookie is NOT an excuse to suck.

As far as benchings...Didn't mention Rolle and I don't think Blackmon could do much worse that Ross right now.

And Tolly has played better than Tuck all season...What **** have you been watching dude?

Very rare to find a hole in my logic.

Gianthunter
12-14-2011, 01:31 PM
It would have been far quicker to just type. He doesn't do what the armchair methinks he should do.

burier
12-14-2011, 01:39 PM
It would have been far quicker to just type. He doesn't do what the armchair me*thinks he should do.

I'd get better production out of our D from my armchair.

sheepdip
12-14-2011, 01:45 PM
I can add to this. How about the gm vs packers where we had Blackmon matching J Nelson and letting him get behind him.

Isnt the instruction at this point in the game not to let anyone get behind you ? let him catch it underneath but not allow anyone behind you ?

What happened on that play ????

How many times have we just let a wr go for a uncontested TD. Do any of you remember the Seattle game where the WR was left wide open for a td. and you see a whole bunch of players looking at each other with their tale between their legs ?

I dont mind if a player gets beat but leaving a wr wide open like Bryant in a game where we need is inexcusable.

The funny thing is were not at the start of the season or in preseason this is game 14 coming up ????

The guy is a terrible DC a Tim Lewis clone. He even uses some of B Sheridan's plays where he has Tuck play lb lol. I love that play. We have run these plays probably about 30 times and I think maybe 1 pass deflection out of it and all the other times resulted in first downs. good call keep running it I am sure D Brees and others are worried.

Gianthunter
12-14-2011, 01:45 PM
It would have been far quicker to just type. He doesn't do what the armchair methinks he should do. I'd get better production out of our D from my armchair. You would drink yourself to death first. Not enough naturaltalent and healthy playersto work with.

JMFP2
12-14-2011, 01:55 PM
I can add to this. How about the gm vs packers where we had* Blackmon matching J Nelson and letting him get behind him.

Isnt the instruction at this point in the game not to let anyone get behind you ? let him catch it underneath but not allow anyone behind you ?

How many times have we just let a wr go for a uncontested TD. Do any of you remember the Seattle game where the WR was left wide open for a td. and you see a whole bunch of players looking at each other with their tale between their legs ?

I dont mind if a player gets beat but leaving a wr wide open like Bryant in a game where we need is inexcusable.

The funny thing is were not at the start of the season or in preseason this is game 14 coming up ????

The guy is a terrible DC a Tim Lewis clone. He even uses some of B Sheridan's plays where he has Tuck play lb lol. I love that play. We have run these plays probably about 30 times and I think maybe 1 pass deflection out of it and all the other times resulted in first downs. good call keep running it I am sure D Brees and others are worried.

The covarage breakdowns are the biggest critique I have of Fewell. It's pretty clear to me that there is confusion in the secondary, and it's his job to eliminate that.

I think he lacks Spags' creativity in designing blitzes.

The 3 man rush is an invitation to give a QB 5 seconds in the pocket, when even the best coverage will eventually break down.

Other than that, I think alot is due to the injuries.

Fewell hasn't been able to deal from a full deck. But he's also misplayed the cards he's gotten.

2 glaring examples: Seattle and Philly. There is no excuse for letting 2 backup QBs cornhole your defense at home.

Kruunch
12-14-2011, 01:57 PM
Fewell is a mediocre DC who's defense played well against mediocre teams last year.*

This pretty much sums up Fewell .... he's not as bad as Sheridan was but he's not a quality DC either.

burier
12-14-2011, 02:10 PM
It would have been far quicker to just type. He doesn't do what the armchair me*thinks he should do. I'd get better production out of our D from my armchair. You would drink yourself to death first. Not enough natural*talent and healthy players*to work with.

Whats so bad about our players? Someone says that our D is depleted by injury and everyone runs with it.

T2 was a legit starter but he got hurt...Its not like Revis got hurt his replacement was a first round draft choice,.

Goff was a borderline starter who flashed agains the run...we all hoped...and I stress HOPED that he wsa gonna take a leap this year but he got hurt...its not like losing Ray Lewis.

Sintim probably wasn't going to make the team anyway. Hopefully we can use him next year.

And a couple rookies got hurt...So what?

I guess Tucks playing hurt but JPP is already better than Tuck ever was and we have good depth with Tolly.

Between Webster (2nd round) Ross (1st round) Rolle (1st Round) and Phillips (1st round) I don't see what we're missing talent wise. (Admittedly Ross is a bust)

We've been thin at Linebacker since 2008 but our front 4 is Supposed to be the best in the league. You mean with all the high draft choices we put on the field and probowl caliber players we're not supposed to play better than we are?

I honestly believe that our roster just the way it is should be able to produce.

YATittle1962
12-14-2011, 02:15 PM
I can add to this. How about the gm vs packers where we had* Blackmon matching J Nelson and letting him get behind him.

ok who do we have better suited to cover Nelson on that play?

Prince?....not sure he would have done anything more than Will had...he has shown nothing yet ....and I give him leeway coming off an injury with no camp

Ross?...he may be our worst one on one cover guy post injury....he gets tossed on jams and just lacks speed to match guys like Nelson.....not to mention he was on Jennings on that play which is just as bad as Blackmon on Nelson....

Webster?....then who is on Jones on that play?......not to mention Webster was on Nelson the snap before that and got absolutely smoked down the sideline and they were lucky that Rodgers chose to go to Finley because Nelson had a walk in TD over Webster....

point being we are short handed on the back end.

killing Fewell for having Blackmon on Nelson holds zero water whatsoever

this team is just as bad in man as they are in zone.

thats speaks to the players

Gianthunter
12-14-2011, 02:17 PM
It would have been far quicker to just type. He doesn't do what the armchair methinks he should do. I'd get better production out of our D from my armchair. You would drink yourself to death first. Not enough naturaltalent and healthy playersto work with. Whats so bad about our players? Someone says that our D is depleted by injury and everyone runs with it. T2 was a legit starter but he got hurt...Its not like Revis got hurt his replacement was a first round draft choice,. Goff was a borderline starter who flashed agains the run...we all hoped...and I stress HOPED that he wsa gonna take a leap this year but he got hurt...its not like losing Ray Lewis. Sintim probably wasn't going to make the team anyway. Hopefully we can use him next year. And a couple rookies got hurt...So what? I guess Tucks playing hurt but JPP is already better than Tuck ever was and we have good depth with Tolly. Between Webster (2nd round) Ross (1st round) Rolle (1st Round) and Phillips (1st round) I don't see what we're missing talent wise. (Admittedly Ross is a bust) We've been thin at Linebacker since 2008 but our front 4 is Supposed to be the best in the league. You mean with all the high draft choices we put on the field and probowl caliber players we're not supposed to play better than we are? I honestly believe that our roster just the way it is should be able to produce.The problem I see is the collective bunch is never on the field at the same. Add in now more injuriesrookies nonames and streetplayers and what do have talent wise in any given game.

NYSPORTS
12-14-2011, 02:17 PM
I was pulling for the guy but he seems to miss things that should not be missed. He's an idiot and should be fired.

Last season he thought that he somehow would outsmart Peyton Manning by filling the field with DBs..which the Colts prompty ran all over and had the game out of hand by the end of the first quarter.

last Season allows the Miracle In The Meadowlands Part 2 by simply refusing to use any sort of rotation to get some players a rest. We're talking about a scheme that was all about relentless pursuit on the most mobile QB in the history of the game. Guys are not machines..they get tired. He left players in that should have been out and we lose in embarassing fashion and watch our playoff hopes go down the tubes.

INSISTS on rushing three men on third and long despite the fact that it doesn't work. When it has...."Worked" it would have worked better with a 4th rusher. His defense has no philosophy in two years straight.

Honorable Mention:

Plays a gimmick 4-2-5 defense that is proven to be ineffective with the current roster. Refuses to try something else.

Plays Zone coverage despite man coverage being the player's strength and despite the players being visably unimpressed with the scheme. Conversely does play man when matchups are not favorable.

Continues to play Deon Grant despite his best play of the year being a fake injury on national television

Fails to get rookie linebackers ready to play. Allows a marginal linebacker to come in off his couch 3/4s of the way through the season and show all of them up.

Fails to understand that Aaron Ross cannot cover. Puts Ross in bump and Run coverage on third down...about 4 inches away from an epic fail.

R U taking my material from elsewhere?

You may have forgotton his comment after being blindsided by the Seahawks hurry up offense. He said "he learned something" from the experience.

Kruunch
12-14-2011, 02:19 PM

Prince?....not sure he would have done anything more than Will had...he has shown nothing yet ....and I give him leeway coming off an injury with no camp

Ross?...he may be our worst one on one cover guy post injury....he gets tossed on jams and just lacks speed to match guys like Nelson.....not to mention he was on Jennings on that play which is just as bad as Blackmon on Nelson....

Webster?....then who is on Jones on that play?......not to mention Webster was on Nelson the snap before that and got absolutely smoked down the sideline and they were lucky that Rodgers chose to go to Finley because Nelson had a walk in TD over Webster....

I tend to agree and GB is GB ... however Fewell's schemes have been blown up by A LOT of other teams.

Look at our defense against opponents with winning records over the past two years ... I think we average something stupid like 32 points given up per game.

YATittle1962
12-14-2011, 02:21 PM

I tend to agree and GB is GB ... however Fewell's schemes have been blown up by A LOT of other teams.

Look at our defense against opponents with winning records over the past two years ... I think we average something stupid like 32 points given up per game.

I agree...im just speaking on that one play that everyone keeps talking about and for some reason blame Fewell for Nelson making a catch over Blackmon.....its ridiculous

nihan87
12-14-2011, 03:09 PM
There are so many holes with your logic, it's not even funny. 2 of your "signs" happened last season, for one. We dint have the personel to run a different type if D! We're a team that's notorious for the pass rush, and were not getting to the QB at all!!! And you wonder why our DB's are getting burned? You forget that Chase Blackburn, the man who "came off his couch" was with the giants fir the past 6 years. He knows how this team works, and the linebackers who he's "showing up" (not boley, of course, he held witten to only 14 yards last week)are ROOKIES!!! I would hope an 8 year veteran could show up a buck of rookies anyway of the week! And the last point, benching all these players...who would you start instead? Were so depleted on defense it's not even funny. You think wil Blackmon and Tyler sash (maybe one day for sash, i like him. But not now) are better than Aaron Ross and Antrel rolle? You think tollefson can play better than Justin Tuck??? I'm just glad your not the Defensive coordinator, we wouldn't even be in a playoff race. I'm sorry. Did fewell not coordinate last year? Oh he did? So those first two points are valid? Great thanks for chiming in. I don't forget that Chase Blackburn was on the team before. But he was cut...He's not a world beater. When he was on the team he was primarily a special teams player. Doesn't excuse the roster with rookie Linebackers who can't play. or you can't get ready to play. Being a rookie is an excuse for getting beat a couple times by a savy vet...Being Rookie is an excuse for making the quote "Rookie mistake". Being a rookie is NOT an excuse to suck. As far as benchings...Didn't mention Rolle and I don't think Blackmon could do much worse that Ross right now. And Tolly has played better than Tuck all season...What **** have you been watching dude? Very rare to find a hole in my logic.</P>

</P>

A little ****y? </P>

</P>

I understand your logic, but these injuries have killed us this year. Tuck? I don't have a clue where his head is or why he has been playing like this. Tolly has performed well this year. Flying all over the place, trying his best to make a play.</P>

If this team doesn't rally this week after JPP single handedly kept that defense going, then I don't know what the eff will. </P>

burier
12-14-2011, 04:04 PM
There are so many holes with your logic, it's not even funny. 2 of your "signs" happened last season, for one. We dint have the personel to run a different type if D! We're a team that's notorious for the pass rush, and were not getting to the QB at all!!! And you wonder why our DB's are getting burned? You forget that Chase Blackburn, the man who "came off his couch" was with the giants fir the past 6 years. He knows how this team works, and the linebackers who he's "showing up" (not boley, of course, he held witten to only 14 yards last week)are ROOKIES!!! I would hope an 8 year veteran could show up a buck of rookies anyway of the week! And the last point, benching all these players...who would you start instead? Were so depleted on defense it's not even funny. You think wil Blackmon and Tyler sash (maybe one day for sash, i like him. But not now) are better than Aaron Ross and Antrel rolle? You think tollefson can play better than Justin Tuck??? I'm just glad your not the Defensive coordinator, we wouldn't even be in a playoff race. I'm sorry. Did fewell not coordinate last year? Oh he did? So those first two points are valid? Great thanks for chiming in. I don't forget that Chase Blackburn was on the team before. But he was cut...He's not a world beater. When he was on the team he was primarily a special teams player. Doesn't excuse the roster with rookie Linebackers who can't play. or you can't get ready to play. Being a rookie is an excuse for getting beat a couple times by a savy vet...Being Rookie is an excuse for making the quote "Rookie mistake". Being a rookie is NOT an excuse to suck. As far as benchings...Didn't mention Rolle and I don't think Blackmon could do much worse that Ross right now. And Tolly has played better than Tuck all season...What **** have you been watching dude? Very rare to find a hole in my logic.</P>

*</P>

A little ****y? </P>

*</P>

I understand your logic, but these injuries have killed us this year. Tuck? I don't have a clue where his head is or why he has been playing like this. Tolly has performed well this year. Flying all over the place, trying his best to make a play.</P>

If this team doesn't rally this week after JPP single handedly kept that defense going, then I don't know what the eff will. </P>

Hey hope is alive and well over here.

I few years ago the Colts D waited until the playoffs started to get it together so anything is possible.

sheepdip
12-15-2011, 10:02 AM
I can add to this. How about the gm vs packers where we had Blackmon matching J Nelson and letting him get behind him.

You missed the point I was making, what annoyed me is how you let someone get behind you in that situation. Thats like saying were leading by 6 points and we match D jackson at the line of scrimmage with Ross and give him no help ? does that sound like a pitch and catch td. All I was saying is he should have gave him a bigger cushion so that he wouldnt get beat over the top nad let them complete the underneath. Its not a matter of who was covering him as much as how they were going to cover him.
Not to mention a lot of confusion every week in the secondary after 13 weeks of football. No blitzing and 3 man rushes. Yea its the players.

YATittle1962
12-15-2011, 10:31 AM

You missed the point I was making, what annoyed me is how you let someone get behind you in that situation. Thats like saying were leading by 6 points and we match D jackson at the line of scrimmage with Ross and give him no help ? does that sound like a pitch and catch td. All I was saying is he should have gave him a bigger cushion so that he wouldnt get beat over the top nad let them complete the underneath. Its not a matter of who was covering him as much as how they were going to cover him.
Not to mention a lot of confusion every week in the secondary after 13 weeks of football. No blitzing and 3 man rushes. Yea its the players.

its absolutely as much the players as it is the coach.....

if a vet like Corey Webster in a cover 3 blows a coverage and doesnt take the deep man where in the world is that on the coach?

Corey is a 7 year vet and has been running cover 3 his whole life

everyone thinks that play was on Rolle....think again ......cover 3......Bryant ran right through Websters zone .......alone

JesseJames
12-15-2011, 10:38 AM
I have never liked Fewell or his defense but what I don't understand at all is why Coughlin isn't stepping in here and telling him to change things up or is it that its too late now to do anything meaningful. IMO Fewell was allowed to bring in a defense that didn't fit our personnel and has a history of being a disaster to this team. There is enough blame to go around for the way this defense is playing...When TC saw what was happening to the defense he as HC should have ordered some changes but he didn't and now its obviously too late no matter what Antrell Rolle says..

netplus
12-15-2011, 12:29 PM
Bottom line....when our DL is at full strength, our D is good enough to win games thanks to our offense scoring 25 points a game. With Tuck playing hurt all year and Osi missing so many games, our DB's lack of talent is exposed. Rolle, Grant, and Ross need to go. They are all terrible in coverage, and miss too many tackles. Hopefully Prince won't be another 1st round DB bust.

burier
12-15-2011, 12:42 PM
Bottom line....when our DL is at full strength, our D is good enough to win games thanks to our offense scoring 25 points a game. With Tuck playing hurt all year and Osi missing so many games, our DB's lack of talent is exposed. Rolle, Grant, and Ross need to go. They are all terrible in coverage, and miss too many tackles. Hopefully Prince won't be another 1st round DB bust.

I agree somewhat. I mean of course a great pass rush helps the secondary.

The fact that Tuck isn't producing and Osi isnt producing shouldn't kill us because we have Depth at those spots. We have JPP..we have Tolly and we should be utilizing Kiwi at end aswell.

So if we're not getting pass rush...as stated in the OP im may have to do with personel packages and that falls on Fewell.

Simply put. Tuck should be playing limited snaps. Under 20.

We've got all these Rookie linebackers on the team and we need to play them so that Kiwi can spend more time at DE. If the rookies aren't good enough to play then cut them and sign someone who is good enough to play.

That simple.

I feel like the guys Reese has collected on D with Fewell coordinating is classic pearls before swine scenario. He has tools but he doesn't know how to you use them. I've given him every chance.

Everyone was complaining that he wasn't aggressive enough and I said he was holding out until the rough part of the schedule came..well that rough 5 game stretch has come and gone and I didn't see any aggression.

I saw three man rushes and busted coverages.

Perry Fewell is a glorified Secondary coach.

thegreatone
12-15-2011, 12:53 PM
It would have been far quicker to just type. He doesn't do what the armchair methinks he should do. I'd get better production out of our D from my armchair. You would drink yourself to death first. Not enough naturaltalent and healthy playersto work with.your kidding right? while injuries have hurt us we won the super bowl with Mj and Butler at safety, Cwebb, madison,RW, at DB(they were on thier last legs), AP at MLB (very smart but was on the decline), and our very good front four. If you dont think spags could do some damage with this D then you really have forgotten who was on our D in the SB year. Even some of the guys we've signed off the street has more talent than sam/RW.

TrueBlue@NYC
12-15-2011, 12:58 PM
I agree that there's a few things in PF's schemes that I'd like to see changed, but anyone that keeps talking about "they don't play man" or "they don't blitz" just don't know anything about football.

If you did, you'd see that we play ALOT of man coverage. We mix our coverages more than 3/4's of the league. We mix alot of man and zone even on the same play.

We also blitz plenty, just as much as alot of teams. As much as ppl complain about us not blitzing enough, havent realized that our defensive conversion when blitzing is AWEFUL. The blitz is NOT GETTING THERE.

Case in Point: On the play Austin was wide open for last week. GUESS WHAT? Ross was playing that man coverage you're all screaming for. And, we blitzed on that same play, and got no pressure at all on Romo. The only thing that preventing that play from being a TD was Romo crapping the bed.

Against the Saints and GB, PF called every different type of coverage and blitz scheme in the book. He's called plenty of schemes that have put Tuck and Osi in one on one situations with blockers. These are match-ups they're supposed to win. But when your superstar players can't beat the guy in front of him, no matter what scheme it is, it's not going to work.

netplus
12-15-2011, 01:03 PM
"while injuries have hurt us we won the super bowl with Mj and Butler at safety,"

Butler was a good cover safety, why do think spags brought him to STL? Dockery had a very good year at nickel CB. Those two alone were so much better than Rolle/Grant are now. Gibril had a good year too. I will agree that MJ was awful.

burier
12-15-2011, 01:12 PM
I agree that there's a few things in PF's schemes that I'd like to see changed, but anyone that keeps talking about "they don't play man" or "they don't blitz" just don't know anything about football.

If you did, you'd see that we play ALOT of man coverage. We mix our coverages more than 3/4's of the league. We mix alot of man and zone even on the same play.

We also blitz plenty, just as much as alot of teams. As much as ppl complain about us not blitzing enough, havent realized that our defensive conversion when blitzing is AWEFUL. The blitz is NOT GETTING THERE.

Case in Point: On the play Austin was wide open for last week. GUESS WHAT? Ross was playing that man coverage you're all screaming for. And, we blitzed on that same play, and got no pressure at all on Romo. The only thing that preventing that play from being a TD was Romo crapping the bed.

Against the Saints and GB, PF called every different type of coverage and blitz scheme in the book. He's called plenty of schemes that have put Tuck and Osi in one on one situations with blockers. These are match-ups they're supposed to win. But when your superstar players can't beat the guy in front of him, no matter what scheme it is, it's not going to work.

its not about playing Man or Zone blitzing or not blitzing its about WHEN.

Its the NFL. You're gonna need to play both Man and Zone...but when?

You're gonna have to blitz...but when?

This question it seems Fewell has yet to answer.

And there's really no upside to rushing three so the time to do that is never.

Kruunch
12-15-2011, 01:37 PM

I agree...im just speaking on that one play that everyone keeps talking about and for some reason blame Fewell for Nelson making a catch over Blackmon.....its ridiculous

It's frustration ... but I agree on that play. Prince was taken out due to exhaustion and our other guys were on higher priority targets.

Not to mention it was a perfect throw and catch (Blackmon did take the underneath throw out).

When I watch Greenbay games, I'm continually amazed at the level that both Rodgers and his receivers play at. As a football fan in general, it's simply amazing.

Kruunch
12-15-2011, 01:46 PM

its absolutely as much the players as it is the coach.....

if a vet like Corey Webster in a cover 3 blows a coverage and doesnt take the deep man where in the world is that on the coach?

Corey is a 7 year vet and has been running cover 3 his whole life

everyone thinks that play was on Rolle....think again ......cover 3......Bryant ran right through Websters zone .......alone

I would argue that Fewell's man-under zone scheme is more responsible.

If you change from man to zone and back again constantly, you're just begging for a botched play sooner or later (as this was).

I agree that its on the players, but the coach can help by making his schemes easier for the players to play. Especially if they've shown problems with it in the past (which they have).

Look at Spags in 2007 ... first couple of weeks, the defense didn't have a clue how to work Spags' defense. He dumbs down a bit (especially the coverages) and it becomes one of the best defenses in the NFL.

That is good coaching versus poor coaching in my mind.

I'm also of the opinion that "read-react" defenses (most of your zone implementations) don't work in this era of football, since receivers can't be touched and don't fear to run slants/crossing routes and most times when a QB is touched it results in a flag.

DandyDon
12-15-2011, 03:02 PM
My 2 cents: This Defense is BAD, and its a combination of bad execution, injuries and coaching.

But when I see a post like this, I have to wonder if the original poster is the idiot, or maybe just 12 years old.

You do give some good examples of bad defensive play, and some possible explanations for them. But when you say Fewell is an idiot - partly because he countinues to play the only players he has - you dont look much smarter.

And when you follow up with statements like "I'd get better production out of our D from my armchair," and "Very rare to find a hole in my logic" it makes it pretty hard to take you seriously in anything you say.

There isn't a giants fan here that isnt disappointed in our D, and I agree the ultimate responsibility is on Fewell and Coughlin. But to put it all on Fewell and call him an idiot in the the subject of the post says more about you than it does about him, IMHO.

burier
12-15-2011, 03:10 PM
I just don't our players are as bad as they're made to look.

And I dont think the D is too confusing either.

I mean Man under is man coverage...how difficult is that?

When we're playing Zone we basically play cover 2.

Zone Dogs can be complicated but we hardly blitz.

I think we rush 3 too often wich makes the D look bad concidering we rush 3 on third and long..If we're in 3rd and long that means we won on first and second down. We just let them have it all back on third down by rushing three and that's on the coach.

We play cover 2 or cover 3 when we have favorable man-to-man matchups and we play Man-to-Man when we're overmatched.

burier
12-15-2011, 03:15 PM
My 2 cents: This Defense is BAD, and its a combination of bad execution, injuries and coaching.

But when I see a post like this, I have to wonder if the original poster is the idiot, or maybe just 12 years old.

You do give some good examples of bad defensive play, and some possible explanations for them. But when you say Fewell is an idiot - partly because he countinues to play the only players he has - you dont look much smarter.

And when you follow up with statements like "I'd get better production out of our D from my armchair," and "Very rare to find a hole in my logic" it makes it pretty hard to take you seriously in anything you say.

There isn't a giants fan here that isnt disappointed in our D, and I agree the ultimate responsibility is on Fewell and Coughlin. But to put it all on Fewell and call him an idiot in the the subject of the post says more about you than it does about him, IMHO.

Truth hurts but we all have to deal with it. I'm not interested in protecting anyone feelings so if I offended you....good.

If your butt is sore because I used a dergatory term I suggest you build a bridge.

JMFP2
12-15-2011, 03:15 PM
At this point, I think comparisons between Fewell and Sheridan are very valid.

JesseJames
12-15-2011, 05:07 PM
I haven't seen this much confusion in the secondary since Tim Lewis was here and back then even the players were saying that they didn't really know what he wanted on any given formation because he never spoke to them personally, all communication came from his subordinates and the message became messed up. I'm seeing the exact same thing with the team right now now under Fewell...and its the same defensive scheme as Lewis's .

JimC
12-15-2011, 05:26 PM

Honorable Mention:

What qualifications do you have to call anyone an idiot? Much less a DC for the NY Giants.

RoanokeFan
12-15-2011, 05:33 PM
It would have been far quicker to just type. He doesn't do what the armchair methinks he should do.

LOL

BurnerNYG
12-15-2011, 07:57 PM
I wouldn't go as far as calling him an idiot... it takes some serious football smarts to coach at this level. I just don't think he knows how to utilize his personel properly and draw up schemes to mask our weaknesses and put our boys in spots where they can be successful.

I would also like to see a lil more emotion, energy and enthusiasm out of him on the sidelines. Sometimes you gotta dig in when you're calling plays. Being calm doesn't work for everybody.

MattMeyerBud
12-15-2011, 08:03 PM
im not gonna name names - but does anybody in here still want us to trade up and get Andrew Luck?

sheepdip
12-15-2011, 08:37 PM
We won the superbowl with an avg at best secondary. ALso we beat the highest scoring team ever. Players or coaching ?

BurnerNYG
12-15-2011, 09:01 PM
im not gonna name names - but does anybody in here still want us to trade up and get Andrew Luck?
Eli Manning threw 25 picks last year and fumbled 6 times. Add that with the fact that this offense looked completely flat in the preseason and this team missed the playoffs 2 years in a row... only a complete Eli homer didn't wanna see changes. Pat yourself on the back, you're Eli's biggest fan.

If that's all you and any other poster got to hang your hats on to make yourselves seem more knowledgeable about the game, then by all means, feel free.

I got an authentic Manning jersey and my son has a replica Eli. Does that mean I'm his biggest fan? Hell no... I support the Giants.

giantsforce
12-15-2011, 10:30 PM
It may not be a bad idea. The packers took Rodgers while they had Favre. You get the best player that is available at the time. Or do you think Eli will be here forever?

BurnerNYG
12-15-2011, 11:47 PM
It may not be a bad idea. The packers took Rodgers while they had Favre. You get the best player that is available at the time.* Or do you think Eli will be here forever?
Nah, we got way more pressing needs than a QB. Eli has at least 7 more years left and even a critic like myself can admit that he's amongst the league's best.

GreenZone
12-16-2011, 01:38 AM
One sign this board has idiots for moderators:

They allow a personal attack on someone in the Giants family and cannot distinguish between criticizing strategy and personal attacks.

It seems like a bunch of four-year-olds moderating around here.

Don't like it moderator(s)? Then don't allow the Giants D.C. to be trashed on this board and try bringing out some quality discussion instead.

Kruunch
12-16-2011, 09:46 AM

They allow a personal attack on someone in the Giants family and cannot distinguish between criticizing strategy and personal attacks.

Don't like it moderator(s)? Then don't allow the Giants D.C. to be trashed on this board and try bringing out some quality discussion instead.

Perry is that you?

Harooni
12-16-2011, 10:02 AM

well i agree fewell isnt so bad, but mods here do allow the freedom of a different opinion, and that makes this place good. you cant go to BBI and have a neg thought pop out without a nazi mod censoring it, even if its valid and your true feelings.

burier
12-16-2011, 10:13 AM
Eli Manning threw 25 picks last year and fumbled 6 times. Add that with the fact that this offense looked completely flat in the preseason and this team missed the playoffs 2 years in a row... only a complete Eli homer didn't wanna see changes. Pat yourself on the back, you're Eli's biggest fan.

If that's all you and any other poster got to hang your hats on to make yourselves seem more knowledgeable about the game, then by all means, feel free.

I got an authentic Manning jersey and my son has a replica Eli. Does that mean I'm his biggest fan? Hell no... I support the Giants.

Eli threw 25 picks last year but to use that as an excuse for wanting him gone is really thin.

We won't even get into how many balls were tipped or how playcalling and a spotty ground attack set Eli up to fail. Or a defense that frequently had Eli playing from behind.

If we just look at the numbers Eli threw 25 picks but that was more than the previous 2 years combined. The year before that he threw 17 ints I believe. So the question is..why couldn't people take the 25 ints for what they were...a fluke

Seems like only an Eli hater would sit and wait for some strange stat to pop up to bash the guy.

Also I like how Eli threw 25 Ints and Brees threw 22 INTS and there was no one had anything to say.

Especially considering Brees threw 33 TD to Eli's 31

Brees threw for 4,620 yards to Eli's 4,002.

But Brees is Elite and Eli should get out of town??? It doesn't make sense.

What's even funnier is..for the people who want to act like its ok to jump on the Eli bandwagon now since hes

"Playing sooooo much better"

His numbers this year will ultimately be only slightly better than they were last year with the obvious exception being the INTS which were uncharacteristically high last season and were bound to come down this year regardless.

Eli's the same player he always was. He's better this year than last year but he was better last year than he was the year before. He's always improving. Don't prentend that Eli has made some giant step just to justify hating him all these years.

Be a real fan man up and say:

"Look I don't know what I'm talking about. I hated Eli because he didn't put up flashy fantasy points as soon in his career as I wanted him to.

Or I hated having the Poor mans Peyton as a QB..

Or I hated that he tried to dictate where he played out of college..

Or I hated that he didn't appear to have fighter pilot swagger

Or whatever BS reason you decided you didnt like the guy that had nothing to do with the game as decided on the field of play.

TrueBlue@NYC
12-16-2011, 11:13 AM

its not about playing Man or Zone blitzing or not blitzing its about WHEN.

Its the NFL. You're gonna need to play both Man and Zone...but when?

You're gonna have to blitz...but when?

This question it seems Fewell has yet to answer.

And there's really no upside to rushing three so the time to do that is never.

Can you name any single specific time that we played man, when we should have played zone, or vice versa?

Truth is that it doesn't matter what coverage you have on the back end if there is no pass rush. I get people don't like when we rush 3, but it's not like the pressure is getting there when we rush 4 or even blitz with 5 or 6.

If the QB is going to have 5 to 6 seconds to thorw anyway, no matter how many we rush, then I can see why PF would rather drop extra guys into coverage.

A coaches job is to create schemes that put players into position to make plays. When his schemes create one on one match-ups for guys like Kiwi, Tuck and Osi, when he's done his job. THEIR job is to win in those situations, which they havent.

It's not to say I agree with everything PF does, for example, if you notice PF has gotten away from all of the line stunts what worked so well for us last season. IDK why he has, and using things like twists and stunts is a very effective way to help your rushers get to the QB when they're not outright winning their one on one match-ups.

He's not perfect, but it's hard for any defense to succeed when their pro-bowl players simply aren't playing well. When you're whole defense is built around a DL that's supposed to dominant every game, and it doesn't, your defense is going to struggle.

BurnerNYG
12-16-2011, 11:31 AM

Eli threw 25 picks last year but to use that as an excuse for wanting him gone is really thin.

We won't even get into how many balls were tipped or how playcalling and a spotty ground attack set Eli up to fail. Or a defense that frequently had Eli playing from behind.

If we just look at the numbers Eli threw 25 picks but that was more than the previous 2 years combined. The year before that he threw 17 ints I believe. So the question is..why couldn't people take the 25 ints for what they were...a fluke

Seems like only an Eli hater would sit and wait for some strange stat to pop up to bash the guy.

Also I like how Eli threw 25 Ints and Brees threw 22 INTS and there was no one had anything to say.

Especially considering Brees threw 33 TD to Eli's 31

Brees threw for 4,620 yards to Eli's 4,002.

But Brees is Elite and Eli should get out of town??? It doesn't make sense.

What's even funnier is..for the people who want to act like its ok to jump on the Eli bandwagon now since hes

"Playing sooooo much better"

His numbers this year will ultimately be only slightly better than they were last year with the obvious exception being the INTS which were uncharacteristically high last season and were bound to come down this year regardless.

Eli's the same player he always was. He's better this year than last year but he was better last year than he was the year before. He's always improving. Don't prentend that Eli has made some giant step just to justify hating him all these years.

Be a real fan man up and say:

"Look I don't know what I'm talking about. I hated Eli because he didn't put up flashy fantasy points as soon in his career as I wanted him to.

Or I hated having the Poor mans Peyton as a QB..

Or I hated that he tried to dictate where he played out of college..

Or I hated that he didn't appear to have fighter pilot swagger

Or whatever BS reason you decided you didnt like the guy that had nothing to do with the game as decided on the field of play.Listen, wasn't you talking about Perry Fewell on this thread? I'm tired of having the same old tired debates about Eli. He's playing fantastic this year... let's leave it at that.