PDA

View Full Version : We needed OL help more than we needed Wilson

VBGiantsFan
09-05-2012, 11:58 PM
First off, THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FUMBLE.

Basically, we had a home run hitter in Scott already. He had a great blocking RB in Ware. We had a young up and coming player in Brown. Bradshaw is our starter and that isn't going to change.

I get the whole "draft talent in the first round, not need" but our need was immense. This is a BAD offensive line. Worse than last year by a lot.

BlueBlooded1979
09-06-2012, 12:01 AM
This OL has been spiraling down since EA left. Eli covers up for a lot but you can't fake the running game.

Bigbluefan77
09-06-2012, 12:07 AM
yup our offensive line looks like garbage and its not like theres young talent waiting to take over

hungrrrry
09-06-2012, 12:10 AM
We've got what we've got...now we've gotta figure out what we can do with it and hope that maybe some Free Agent is out there that can help

plaxattack17
09-06-2012, 12:10 AM
how could Reese leave it like this? Unnaceptable.

sharick88
09-06-2012, 12:19 AM
First off, THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FUMBLE.

Basically, we had a home run hitter in Scott already. He had a great blocking RB in Ware. We had a young up and coming player in Brown. Bradshaw is our starter and that isn't going to change.

I get the whole "draft talent in the first round, not need" but our need was immense. This is a BAD offensive line. Worse than last year by a lot.

I actually liked the pick of Wilson. I still don't get why our team sparingly uses the players that they draft early only when they don't have a choice. Even Nicks in his rookie year rode pine until it became clear that our receiving corps stunk at the time.

sharick88
09-06-2012, 12:20 AM
Our oline is what it is. It is just a drawback that we just have to outweigh with the other things that we do good

TheEnigma
09-06-2012, 12:21 AM
I see what you are saying OP. From what little we've seen of Wilson's running ability this preseason, it's obvious why the management selected him in the draft but now there's just that much more pressure to find good offensive linemen in the 2013 draft now.

G-Men Surg.
09-06-2012, 12:27 AM
This IMO is too the area of most concern . Do I feel like they can be or get better ? Of course but even if they do we still are thin depth wise and very inconsistent. They have to man up and deliver, there's no other way around, plain and simple.

Axels17
09-06-2012, 12:30 AM
I actually liked the pick of Wilson. I still don't get why our team sparingly uses the players that they draft early only when they don't have a choice. Even Nicks in his rookie year rode pine until it became clear that our receiving corps stunk at the time.

fumbles. He would have played more otherwise. Coughlin said as much in post game

offingmoot
09-06-2012, 12:30 AM
Reese builds for the future as much as possible

You can't have every unit on your team as strong as youd like

David Wilson is the future running back

moosedrool
09-06-2012, 12:36 AM
Wilson is a good pick. The problem is we blew our cap money on Rolle and Canty and couldn't sign stud OT Eric Winston in the off season. Canty and Rolle are way overpaid and it's costing us cap space to sign quality OL. And rookie OL, even first rounders, rarely provide quality play their first year in the league.

Axels17
09-06-2012, 12:40 AM
I don't think Canty is overpaid. The Dline needed him badly tonight. Maybe overpaid in that he misses too many games, but not talent wise.

bearbryant
09-06-2012, 12:50 AM
Very wise, grasshopper. Exactamundo! Thats why I couldn't believe the Canty deal: 43MM for a 3-4 DE into a maybe 4-3 DT, not even a real(4-3) DT. Bad move
Wilson is a good pick. The problem is we blew our cap money on Rolle and Canty and couldn't sign stud OT Eric Winston in the off season. Canty and Rolle are way overpaid and it's costing us cap space to sign quality OL. And rookie OL, even first rounders, rarely provide quality play their first year in the league.

ShakeandBake
09-06-2012, 12:55 AM
@ The OP: Who would you have taken in the first round over Wilson? I understand and agree with your sentiments about the offensive line, in that we should have drafted some more in earlier rounds, but IMO there was no one left at our pick worth taking in the first.

El Jefe
09-06-2012, 01:49 AM
The OL played better as the year went on last year (not great, but better) and I was excited thinking Reese would at to the line in the draft (since we have no cap room...thanks JR) only to be disappointed when he let o-lineman after o-lineman go in the draft (thanks again). Now our line is a year older, a year slower, and look like they forgot how to play.

I'm sure they'll play better again as the year goes on, but how much longer is he gonna keep Eli in danger like this? We've been fortunate, and I'm not trying to tempt fate.

Buto
09-06-2012, 02:16 AM
The run blocking looked worse than last year.
It's early and I think it'll get better but not good enough to develop the run game we need.
O-line and corners were my biggest concerns in the off season.

BurnerNYG
09-06-2012, 02:24 AM
Yeah it's obvious this Oline needs some work. I like the Wilson pick but until we can add some depth or play with some type of cohesiveness at the point of attack all that talent is gonna have to wait or get abused from so many hits. I wouldn't care if they picked ALL linemen and corners in next year's draft. That's what's stopping us from being totally dominant.

nycsportzfan
09-06-2012, 05:57 AM
What kills me is Cordy Glenn was on the board for us.. A absoulute beast who s flat out road grader and extremely athletic for a bigger lineman.. Also versatile.. For me, it was Doug Martin or Cordy Glenn all the way.. I thought we reached for David Wilson, but hes grown on me since the draft and i'm not gonna let one game ruin that for me, but it was a costly, crucial, monsterus fumble on a play he wasen't even hit that hard..

nycsportzfan
09-06-2012, 06:00 AM
@ The OP: Who would you have taken in the first round over Wilson? I understand and agree with your sentiments about the offensive line, in that we should have drafted some more in earlier rounds, but IMO there was no one left at our pick worth taking in the first. Cordy Glenn for starters..lol The Lineman that was thought to be gone by then, and has versatility, size, strength, and atheletiscim.. From what i've read, hes been tremendous this spring and summer for Buffalo and won a starting job... I still believe getting a guy like Vick Ballard, Robert Turbin, Bernard Pierce, or someone like that would of been just fine in a mid rd... Ballard looks great in indy as well..

Again, Wilson has grown on me, but that don't change the fact i still feel there was better value in RD 1... Cordy Glenn would of been the guy for me...

CDN_G-FAN
09-06-2012, 06:08 AM
the o line is bad, but to think that the 32nd pick in the draft was going to improve it significantly this year is a stretch.

i'm hoping this line needs time to gel, but i don't agree that we should have passed up on Wilson to get an olinemen in his spot.

TheEnigma
09-06-2012, 06:18 AM
*crosses fingers that Barrett Jones drops to us in the 2013 draft*