PDA

View Full Version : What can we do about the secondary?

Rudyy
09-06-2012, 09:56 AM
Is there anything we can do about the secondary at this point? I guess wait for Prince and Coe to get back healthy?

nhpgiantsfan
09-06-2012, 10:01 AM
The only thing that we can do to help this secondary right now, is to get pressure on the QB.

titwio
09-06-2012, 10:06 AM
Prince has 10 days to get ready for Tampa and even if he does come back...there's a good chance he won't be 100%. He wasn't exactly lighting it up in preseason so I really don't know what to expect from him performance wise. But still, hopefully this time off helps some guys heal up cause it's only week one and the secondary is already decimated.

If I'm the Giants I lean towards Hosley if Prince can't go...I don't even care if he's a rookie. He definitely has more skill than Tryon. Tryon got exposed by Tebow of all people in preseason...what were they expecting against Tony Romo. He's basically useless in coverage.

RoanokeFan
09-06-2012, 10:08 AM
Is there anything we can do about the secondary at this point? I guess wait for Prince and Coe to get back healthy?

If Amukamara isn't ready to step up, and Coe is going to be out for any period of time, they may have to look outside the organization.

ozzie0075
09-06-2012, 10:16 AM
Tuck and Osi need to step up so the Giants can get pressure on the QB with 4 guys.

ryan12
09-06-2012, 10:23 AM
perry needs to be more creative of appling pressure

TheEnigma
09-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Get healthier for this season is pretty much it. We're not going to find any saviors out there in free agency and the Giants don't come across as the team to trade a high draft pick for a quality CB.

Looking forward to getting another CB in the 2013 Draft.

Manning
09-06-2012, 10:27 AM
Wait for next year.

giantfan1976
09-06-2012, 10:29 AM

Wait for them to get healthy? Wait for our terrible third string CB to get healthy, so he can hold the fort until our even worse second CB gets healthy? That's a plan. Coe was beat all night and Prince looked worse in the preseason.

The Notorious B.I.G BLUE
09-06-2012, 10:29 AM
I think this is something that should have been taken care of when Thomas went down. I know there is no one to know that Prince would go down, but in this division u need good CB's. At this point there isnt anybody we could bring in that would make a difference.

People talking about the pass rush stepping up make no sense to me. If WRs are catching slant routes and taking it 10-15 yrd down field. How can a pass rush get there in time?

titwio
09-06-2012, 10:42 AM

I don't think blitzing would have helped the Giants. Romo was pretty much dictating the Giants coverage and changing the calls all night at the line. Even when the Giants got pressure, Romo got the ball out quick and was hitting the quick slant all night. The Giants couldn't defend and they needed to drop more men underneath to help.

Blitzing would have made things worse...IMO.

ozzie0075
09-06-2012, 10:46 AM
I don't think blitzing would have helped the Giants. Romo was pretty much dictating the Giants coverage and changing the calls all night at the line. Even when the Giants got pressure, Romo got the ball out quick and was hitting the quick slant all night. The Giants couldn't defend and they needed to drop more men underneath to help.

Blitzing would have made things worse...IMO.

Most of the big play Romo made where against the blitz. He changed the route to the quick slant when the Giants showed blitz. The only way to stop this was to get pressure with the front 4 and drop 8, but the front 4 couldn't get enough pressure.

Rudyy
09-06-2012, 10:47 AM
Wait for them to get healthy? Wait for our terrible third string CB to get healthy, so he can hold the fort until our even worse second CB gets healthy? That's a plan. Coe was beat all night and Prince looked worse in the preseason.Oh ok, so since all of our corners suck, we might as well not have a secondary then >.>

dnotch121
09-06-2012, 10:49 AM
all i know is if we dont fix the secondary there is no way we even go 8-8.... now the Tampa bay game doesnt even seem like a winnable game. Our star boy Cruz picked the worst night to suck. Where was Osi and Tuck?

Rudyy
09-06-2012, 10:54 AM
I think a lot of people assumed that our front four would cover up the secondary, I know I did. They were getting torched last night though.

moosedrool
09-06-2012, 10:55 AM
Start Hosley at CB
Start Will Hill and bench I can't take good angles Antrel Rolle

Redeyejedi
09-06-2012, 11:00 AM
The Bucs arent exactly a high flying passing attack. i just hope they can get a win and whether the injuries till week 3.Im telling u right now if Justin tryon is starting games for the Giants they arent making the playoffs

Rudyy
09-06-2012, 11:03 AM
The Bucs arent exactly a high flying passing attack. i just hope they can get a win and whether the injuries till week 3.Im telling u right now if Justin tryon is starting games for the Giants they arent making the playoffsHe was awful last night. I know it wasn't his fault, nobody was expecting Coe to be injured, but oh my God.

Buddy333
09-06-2012, 11:04 AM
I agree. I hope they can rest Prince and get past Tampa. Their only hope this year is that Prince gets healthy and Hosely can play well as a rookie. Coe and Tyron can not be starters in the NFL.

Buddy333
09-06-2012, 11:05 AM
Cow was not good last night.

jakegibbs
09-06-2012, 11:14 AM

It's call disrupting the pass route off the line of scrimmage. Did anyone notice the Pokes DB were manhandling the Giant recievers all the way through their routes & the Giants were laying back & waiting for the Pokes to catch the ball then make a move to tackle. It turned my stomach all night long. Come on Man get you DB's in the game Fewell.

Buddy333
09-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Also, find a way to get Hill out there. He is more than just a good story. That guy is a play maker.

Redeyejedi
09-06-2012, 11:19 AM
I agree. I hope they can rest Prince and get past Tampa. Their only hope this year is that Prince gets healthy and Hosely can play well as a rookie. Coe and Tyron can not be starters in the NFL. I think Coe can play. He wasnt a weak link at all

Buddy333
09-06-2012, 11:27 AM
Coe made one play last night on a poorly thrown ball by Romo. Webster was worse, but Coe was not much better.

Zaggs
09-06-2012, 11:29 AM
Cow was not good last night.

No he was not. The problem with the secondary is that Reese picked Thomas over Ross and thought (somehow) that Coe, Tryon and Johnson would be good startes if need be. Yes Thomas probably has more talent.....which he can now apply to Madden 13. Thats the only football Johnson will be playing...again. So instead of Webster-Ross-Coe, its Webster and Coe right now.
Course outside of Rivers the backer play wasn't anything to write home about.

Zaggs
09-06-2012, 11:30 AM
I think Coe can play. He wasnt a weak link at all

Because he did such a good job of shutting down Ogletree?

Buddy333
09-06-2012, 11:32 AM
Ross was not good last year.

B&RWarrior
09-06-2012, 11:33 AM
The biggest surprise was the ineffectiveness of Webster in coverage. It was Hosely's first game, so I expected him to get eaten up and he did. I still think he can be our second best corner. When Prince comes back he still will be learning. It may not be until mid season until Prince start showing some savvy and I expect the entire year to be a learning experience for Hosley. Learning at CB means getting burnt. I still like the group as a whole. C-Web is rock solid. I put this off as a bad game.

Zaggs
09-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Ross was not good last year.

Well how many good plays are you expecting out of Thomas this year?

Rudyy
09-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Coe is all we have right now (unless Hosley starts) so I'm trying to be patient with him. One thing that is bothering me is, why aren't we jamming the receivers at the line? Time and time again I see receivers all the way down the field with our corners trying to catch up. We give them so much space at the line.

dezzzR
09-06-2012, 11:38 AM
perry needs to be more creative of appling pressureHe needs to be more creative, period.

JesseJames
09-06-2012, 11:58 AM
I don't understand why everyone is feeling that when Prince gets back that all will be well with our secondary , Prince hasn't shown anything to date that says he's the answer at CB, actually I think Coe looks better than Prince has..

G.I. Ants
09-06-2012, 12:00 PM
He needs to be more creative, period.The uncreative Perry Fewell who introduced the 3 safety set defense. Let the secondary get there healthy players back in action because Prince & Hosely have injuries and now Coe has a setback. Not to mention Sash has 3 more games left on his suspension.

Buddy333
09-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Prince looked good last year in the post season. Not a lot of paying time, but when he was in he looked fine. He didn't have a great in the 1st pre season game this year, but he is better than Coe. Coe is this teams 5th DB. If they where eggy you would only see him on special teams and blowouts.

jobberone
09-06-2012, 12:17 PM
I think one poster has a reasonable approach in playing more press but right now the Giants have a problem in the secondary. You guys just need to get some people healthy. You're going to have to trust the DC and DB coaches to get the best approach they can against the team they're playing using the personnel they have. Right now you may not like the results no matter what. You have to have guys who can play at least one scheme well. You need the all-22 and be a decent coach to really have any idea what's going on. But looking at the results gives you a broad picture. Right now that doesn't look good for you guys. I'd blitz some anyway and hope that awesome DL/front seven can help out the secondary more. Not every team is going to have a QB like Romo. Last nite I mentioned Romo looked a little like Tarkenton and had the best pocket presence of anyone I'd seen since him. Collinsworth later brought that up. Hard to beat someone like him with just pressure. Not everyone can do what he does so I wouldn't panic.

SackingMyths
09-06-2012, 12:36 PM
I think the good news is that we're not facing a high-flying pass attack again until the Eagles in Week 4.

Tampa Bay has V-Jax (and a less-than-stellar Mike Williams)...

Carolina has S. Smith (and a less-than-stellar Brandon Lafell)...

That should give Prince and Hosley some experience and a chance to build up confidence for the rest of the season against some of the weaker 2s and 3s on our schedule.

'Cause if they fail here...it's gonna get REAL UGLY in 2012

Redeyejedi
09-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Because he did such a good job of shutting down Ogletree?Was he even the main guy on Oggletree? Looked like he covered Austin most of the game. Webster i saw getting burned by Oggletree

OX1
09-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Coe is all we have right now (unless Hosley starts) so I'm trying to be patient with him. One thing that is bothering me is, why aren't we jamming the receivers at the line? Time and time again I see receivers all the way down the field with our corners trying to catch up. We give them so much space at the line.

Coe was jamming guys in preseason which was one of the things I liked about him, he seemed aggressive. Not sure why he wasn't in this game, if he wasn't (didn't really notice as I was usually watching the pass rush)

Rudyy
09-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Coe was jamming guys in preseason which was one of the things I liked about him, he seemed aggressive. Not sure why he wasn't in this game, if he wasn't (didn't really notice as I was usually watching the pass rush) Well Coe and the other corners weren't jamming anyone since Ogletree torched us.

bigblue58
09-06-2012, 02:39 PM

Are you asking me what I think of the secondary's execution?
Well....in the words of the late John McKay:

"I'M ALL FOR IT"!

Hooligans
09-06-2012, 03:32 PM
Cut them all and get somebody who at least tries.

Hooligans
09-06-2012, 03:34 PM
As bad as the Seconday was, the offensive line was worse.

par404
09-06-2012, 03:58 PM

I would have like to see the Giants get Spagnolo back in place of Fewell.

nycsportzfan
09-06-2012, 04:10 PM
bottom line is we need Hosley and Prince to get healthy.. Also pray that Coe isn't out for to long... Its amazing that both defensive players who were really playing well last night Rivers and Coe ended up getting hurt and missing time...

nycsportzfan
09-06-2012, 04:12 PM
I would have like to see the Giants get Spagnolo back in place of Fewell. I'm kinda hoping when the time comes(most likely due to retirement) to change coaches, that Spags will be around.. I don't think anyone could of helped St.Louis with what they had.. Spags is a guy i think can coach a team, and i'd be happy to give em a legit chance to do just that...

TextureDj
09-06-2012, 04:57 PM

I hate when people say that.

Did you watch the game? Did you see what happened when we blitzed? At best we forced a checkdown that turned into a 7yd gain.
Blitzes require coverage, no blitz will repair coverage that breaks down that quickly. Pressure up front can cover for a weak secondary but not the blitz.

Not tomention we were getting beat up on the ground too. Blitzing going to fix that?

Diamondring
09-06-2012, 05:08 PM
I'm not worried about the Giants defense cause Dallas does have a high scoring offense. Our offense needs to be the type to score a lot of points when we play good offensive teams. The score should have been hire between two teams.

speed3freak
09-06-2012, 05:11 PM
I just don't understand why we didnt even bring Joelio Hanson in for a workout.... he is surely better than Tryon. Hell, almost FA would be an upgrade over Tryon. Rivers was a great pickup, but JR dropped the ball HARD interms of getting our secondary where it needs to be.

Diamondring
09-06-2012, 05:14 PM
I just don't understand why we didnt even bring Joelio Hanson in for a workout.... he is surely better than Tryon. Hell, almost FA would be an upgrade over Tryon. Rivers was a great pickup, but JR dropped the ball HARD interms of getting our secondary where it needs to be.I think that our secondary is not too bad. One ofthe problems I see is that they don't know when to turn around for the ball.

nycisgreat
09-06-2012, 05:21 PM
The only thing that we can do to help this secondary right now, is to get pressure on the QB.

We had great pressure on Romo last night. He got himself out of at least 4 sacks yesterday with that crazy spin move. If our CBs would've play semi decent, the outcome of the game probably could've been different. Could've should've doesn't count in this league. Our front 7 and safety played well. Rolle and Phillips saved Coe, Tryon and Webster from getting embarrassed even more.

nycsportzfan
09-06-2012, 05:38 PM
We had great pressure on Romo last night. He got himself out of at least 4 sacks yesterday with that crazy spin move. If our CBs would've play semi decent, the outcome of the game probably could've been different. Could've should've doesn't count in this league. Our front 7 and safety played well. Rolle and Phillips saved Coe, Tryon and Webster from getting embarrassed even more. U think we had great pressure? We had next to no pressure.. The little pressure u speak of was nothing for Romo to simply roll away and have no one even in the realm of him after a simple roll away.. It wasen't like he was dodging multiple defenders and escaping arm tackles and just getting rid of the ball.. There was next to no pressure all night...

burier
09-06-2012, 05:44 PM
We could play better.

I mean Webster looked like to complete joke out there.

Buddy333
09-06-2012, 06:00 PM
I remember last season in the 1st game Webster looked like garbage. Then he bounced back. I'm hoping that this was just the same thing. That maybe he is getting off to slow starts but getting it back soon. Then maybe Prince gets healthy and plays good. Add to that Hosely coming on strong as a rookie. Either that or have 40 points a game put on them.

miked1958
09-06-2012, 06:17 PM
I dont even think a healthy prince is the answer. i dont know if the kid has it or will ever have it

sharick88
09-06-2012, 06:27 PM
If Amukamara isn't ready to step up, and Coe is going to be out for any period of time, they may have to look outside the organization.
I just hope we don't look at players chillin at home like we did last year for Wil Blackmon. If it comes down to it, we have to willing to give up an early round draft pick to get someone that can actually cover an NFL WR. How Tryon is still on the team as of this morning is beyond me

brad
09-06-2012, 06:51 PM
The secondary wasn't very good last night, but more disturbing than that was how bad the offense was. How many 3 and outs did they have? How much time did the D spend on the field? Had they played even slightly decent, they should have scored at least 17 by the end of the half. 17-7 going into the 3rd quarter completely changes that game... the defense wasn't stellar, but played well most of the first half. The offense was anemic at best and didn't really get it going until late in the game. The offense is supposed to be the Giants strength, the offense should have bailed out the poor secondary by building a big lead, forcing Dallas to be a one dimensional team and allowing the front 4 to take over.

CowboysSuck
09-06-2012, 07:11 PM
Perry Fewell needs to find a better way to rush more than 4 and get to the QB...quickly.

He wasnt very creative last night and that has me wondering....Are we STILL covering up our best moves/plays/schemes for later in the season? Do we want our best tricks on game film since week 1 of the season?

JPP=BEASTMODE
09-06-2012, 08:01 PM
Maybe JPP should just throw them all in the cold tub.

myles2424
09-06-2012, 08:04 PM
DB problem can go away....Prince come back, cweb & hosley step it up, Pass rush step it up.....
Oline is what bothers me, they sucked last year & we literally did nothing to fix the problem

Eliscruzzz
09-06-2012, 08:11 PM
Wait for them to get healthy? Wait for our terrible third string CB to get healthy, so he can hold the fort until our even worse second CB gets healthy? That's a plan. Coe was beat all night and Prince looked worse in the preseason.WTF are you talking about..... Prince looked bad in the Jags game to be expected 1st preseason game this is an absurd notion can't wait till Prince gets back he has the size and skill to be great and with Webster and Hosley we should be fine I would start those three the Prince hate is ridiculous to me??/

Eliscruzzz
09-06-2012, 08:16 PM
all i know is if we dont fix the secondary there is no way we even go 8-8.... now the Tampa bay game doesnt even seem like a winnable game. Our star boy Cruz picked the worst night to suck. Where was Osi and Tuck?Wow 8-8 some of guys are f**** jokes you don't think TC will get things together if this team doesn't win 10 games I'd be shocked. Tampa bay is definitly a winnable game.....WOW stupidest comment I read all day.

Redeyejedi
09-06-2012, 10:34 PM
Wow 8-8 some of guys are f**** jokes you don't think TC will get things together if this team doesn't win 10 games I'd be shocked. Tampa bay is definitly a winnable game.....WOW stupidest comment I read all day.They won 9 games last year why does 8 sound like a joke

Eliscruzzz
09-06-2012, 10:39 PM
They won 9 games last year why does 8 sound like a jokeIt sounds like a joke because this team has to much pride to go 8-8 that's why. Do you think they'll go 8-8 this season? You don't think this team played better then a 9-7 team? You don't think TC will fix this? Yeah it's pretty much a joke.

loaded30
09-06-2012, 11:32 PM

What do you guys think of Aaron Berry. Did he get picked up by anyone? Suspended?

Rudyy
09-06-2012, 11:46 PM
What do you guys think of Aaron Berry. Did he get picked up by anyone? Suspended?He's a free agent, but he's also suspended for 3 games. Which means he wouldn't be able to play until week 4.

drewz
09-07-2012, 01:05 AM
He's a free agent, but he's also suspended for 3 games. Which means he wouldn't be able to play until week 4.

Also a head case.

RichGiants81
09-07-2012, 01:20 AM

Hosley is gonna be a big time player just be patient. He could be this years Cruz on defense

RichGiants81
09-07-2012, 01:42 AM
U think we had great pressure? We had next to no pressure.. The little pressure u speak of was nothing for Romo to simply roll away and have no one even in the realm of him after a simple roll away.. It wasen't like he was dodging multiple defenders and escaping arm tackles and just getting rid of the ball.. There was next to no pressure all night...

There were two plays where rivers and jpp had a kill shot on romo and he managed to side step it. Shoulda been at least two sacks right there alone

wideright91
09-07-2012, 02:01 AM
I agree with the poster who said this season should be a learning experience for Hosley & Prince. Hosley's going to be a beast & Prince has the skill-set to be a solid starter. Coe did his best, and would be a fine #3 or #4. Tryon looks pretty bleak.

On the topic of the 3 safety set: screw Sash, get Hill on the field. Rolle's amazingly talented, he just needs to stop jumping routes on 3rd & 30. Could also work as a nickel corner.

Either way, the team has to make some kind of schematic adjustments for its decimated secondary.

Toadofsteel
09-07-2012, 02:05 AM
I agree with the poster who said this season should be a learning experience for Hosley & Prince. Hosley's going to be a beast & Prince has the skill-set to be a solid starter. Coe did his best, and would be a fine #3 or #4. Tryon looks pretty bleak.

On the topic of the 3 safety set: screw Sash, get Hill on the field. Rolle's amazingly talented, he just needs to stop jumping routes on 3rd & 30. Could also work as a nickel corner.

Either way, the team has to make some kind of schematic adjustments for its decimated secondary.

I'd almost try and Blackburn up Deon Grant...

Hessian
09-07-2012, 02:25 AM
Keg like champs until the '13 season? I'd love an inquiry like this to Coughlin, he'd probably answer the same if he wasn't in such a position of scrutiny. Did you see the look on his face when Coe went down?! Coe! What string was the poor guy. Thats the situation and unfortunately you do not replace players at this point in time:(