PDA

View Full Version : Things aren't always as they appear

RoanokeFan
09-06-2012, 09:05 AM
In the lead up to opening day, there were a lot of folks on here hoping and praying for Domenik Hixon to be released. He's not a "legit # 3 receiver," he should be relegated to Special Teams if they keep him. He hasn't done anything in preseason, blah, blah, blah

Some of those same folks were exclaiming that Wilson would replace Bradshaw as the featured running back. He's dynamic, explosive, we've never seen a running back like him, etc.

This is not an "I told you so moment." This is a moment to understand that the coaching staff is in the best position to know who can best get this team where it needs to go. Veteran players serve a purpose in the continuity department. The have been tested by in-game experience that NO rookie can possibly have coming into the NFL.

Rookies, on the other hand, are going to do things that are going to put them in the dog house. Wilson has talent, he will be back on the field as soon as the coaching staff thinks he can contribute as an NFL player. I suspect that won't be long in Wilson's case and I am willing to bet that a guy like Domenik Hixon will put his arm around David Wilson and tell him it's going to be OK.

Toadofsteel
09-06-2012, 11:34 AM
I never gave up on Hixon. He was AHEAD of Cruz on the depth chart last season before going down...

GameTime
09-06-2012, 11:37 AM
In the lead up to opening day, there were a lot of folks on here hoping and praying for Domenik Hixon to be released. He's not a "legit # 3 receiver," he should be relegated to Special Teams if they keep him. He hasn't done anything in preseason, blah, blah, blah

Some of those same folks were exclaiming that Wilson would replace Bradshaw as the featured running back. He's dynamic, explosive, we've never seen a running back like him, etc.

This is not an "I told you so moment." This is a moment to understand that the coaching staff is in the best position to know who can best get this team where it needs to go. Veteran players serve a purpose in the continuity department. The have been tested by in-game experience that NO rookie can possibly have coming into the NFL.

Rookies, on the other hand, are going to do things that are going to put them in the dog house. Wilson has talent, he will be back on the field as soon as the coaching staff thinks he can contribute as an NFL player. I suspect that won't be long in Wilson's case and I am willing to bet that a guy like Domenik Hixon will put his arm around David Wilson and tell him it's going to be OK.
Sounds about right to me. You saw a decent amount of Hixon in the game plan last night. I had mentioned in another post that Hixon didnt do much in the preseason because they know what they have in him. Others disagreed saying he didnt play in PS cause he stinks. Either way...Wilson will be a positive factor for the Giants....

RoanokeFan
09-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Sounds about right to me. You saw a decent amount of Hixon in the game plan last night. I had mentioned in another post that Hixon didnt do much in the preseason because they know what they have in him. Others disagreed saying he didnt play in PS cause he stinks. Either way...Wilson will be a positive factor for the Giants....

I think you're absolutely right. Imagine that?? Wilson got pay back for making me buy his 34 jersey. :rolleyes:

giantsfan420
09-06-2012, 12:13 PM
im glad hixon is healthy and he showed something last night. but lets not get carried away, he had 3 catches on 5 targets. he had a lot of 1v1 matchups...im just saying he can improve a lot as well. excellent catch and he certainly wasnt a factor, but thats the thing, the 3rd guy has to make defenses pay for 1v1 coverage,and while that one long pass was great, he just wasnt getting seperation or threatening the dallas secondary...

its certainly a good thing we have him tho and not denying that. he's reliable. but i dunno, id prefer a dangerous threat as the 3rd and to me RR is more that guy, maybe even Barden to an extent...the whole offense besdies eli and bennett were sluggish tho so tough to gauge froom one game

B&RWarrior
09-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Wilson is in the doghouse and it's where he needs to be. He needs to understand the seriousness of turnovers and how in many games it is the leading factor in who won and who loss. I think sitting out the rest of the game get's themessage across. We will not tolerate fumblers that simply give the game away. TC is an old pro he knows what he's doing.

Speaking of the dog house, Cruz is in mine with 3 drops last night. If somebody deserved to be benched it was Cruz. His head was obviously not in the game. I know we couldn't have realitically benched him but I was really dissapointed in the lack of concentration in the season opener. I'd say I was more dissappointed in his 3 drops than Wilson's fumble.

TheShouldersOf
09-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Why not him out? consistency as a Coach is just as important, i understand that 'They Know what they are doing' but Cruz had a worse impact than Wilson's fumble

Bradshaw Fumbled too

Hixon had a good game, spectacular? no, but it was good,

bklyn1028
09-06-2012, 12:43 PM
Wilson is in the doghouse and it's where he needs to be. He needs to understand the seriousness of turnovers and how in many games it is the leading factor in who won and who loss. I think sitting out the rest of the game get's themessage across. We will not tolerate fumblers that simply give the game away. TC is an old pro he knows what he's doing.

Speaking of the dog house, Cruz is in mine with 3 drops last night. If somebody deserved to be benched it was Cruz. His head was obviously not in the game. I know we couldn't have realitically benched him but I was really dissapointed in the lack of concentration in the season opener. I'd say I was more dissappointed in his 3 drops than Wilson's fumble.

Is it slightly possible that Cruz dropped those 3 passes because his head was wwwaaaaayyyyy too big....I mean, possibly (we don't hang with him), but maybe last year got him a little ****y, and last night he was brought down to reality,?Is it possible that now he realized that you might not have back to back phenomenal years in the NFL? I hope last night fired the guys up, and Tampa Bay suffers for it.

GameTime
09-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Is it slightly possible that Cruz dropped those 3 passes because his head was wwwaaaaayyyyy too big....I mean, possibly (we don't hang with him), but maybe last year got him a little ****y, and last night he was brought down to reality,?Is it possible that now he realized that you might not have back to back phenomenal years in the NFL? I hope last night fired the guys up, and Tampa Bay suffers for it.
I dont think his head is too big I think his "eyes" are too big. He wants the RAC and he lost his concentration on the ball. Cant do that.

Mod_C
09-06-2012, 12:52 PM

Cruz has said on previous occasions that it's one of his flaws and has been since college. He is wanting to take a look up field to find a path before he has the ball in his hands. It's a concentration issue. And even with the three drops, he was the leading receiver last night. Cruz seems pretty well grounded, acknowledges his faults and works on improving.

TKO_I62
09-06-2012, 01:25 PM

Cruz had this same issue early last year, before any notoriety -- look back at some film and you'll see him turning his head without the ball -- It was a reason I was very skeptical that he could become a go to guy we could rely on. He proved me wrong last year, he can do it again this year (we all hope).

yatitle
09-06-2012, 01:31 PM
Listen that 3rd WR HAS to be productive because teams are going to play the Giants like the Pats did in the SB. EVERY game is going to be a "Cruz and Nicks" game. If that 3rd WR can't match MM's productivity we are in trouble because that will be the 1 on 1 matchup for Eli to work on. Seems to me tjhat Hixon couldn't get any separation most of the night and I'm not sure he is a legit #3. Rewatching the stretch run of last year evn though MM's regular season stats were pedestrian, he was HUGE in the postseason and as big a reason why we won the SB as anyone.

DavenIII
09-06-2012, 01:31 PM
I still think we should have release Hixon and I still think Wilson will replace Bradshaw so I don't get your point.