PDA

View Full Version : Our playoff problem

jhamburg
12-14-2011, 08:12 PM
Assuming we do make the playoffs, here are my thoughts:

It's no secret that we're not the best team in the league. I'd argue that there is a whole tier of teams better than us right now. Now that's not necessarily the end of the world, lesser teams win championships all the time. But let's think about HOW teams beat seemingly better teams in the playoffs.

Name any sport, and the way you beat better teams is by having one player get really hot in the playoffs and take over single handedly. It could be a starting pitcher, a goalie, or a QB like it was with Eli in the 2007 playoffs. The problem for us is that it can't be Eli this year because the offense is already playing about as well as it possibly can!

What we need is something to ignite the defense. And at this point, I really have no idea what that could possibly be.

G4L
12-14-2011, 08:17 PM
JPP. Tuck and Osi returning to 2010 form. Having a kick *** defensive line would hide alot of the problems with the LB's and secondary.

TroyArcher
12-14-2011, 08:18 PM
The only shot is for Osi & Tuck to get healthy and play like there old selves. Even then with this group of LB's and D-backs it would be next to impossible.

jomo
12-14-2011, 08:19 PM
Assuming we do make the playoffs, here are my thoughts: It's no secret that we're not the best team in the league. I'd argue that there is a whole tier of teams better than us right now. Now that's not necessarily the end of the world, lesser teams win championships all the time. But let's think about HOW teams beat seemingly better teams in the playoffs. Name any sport, and the way you beat better teams is by having one player get really hot in the playoffs and take over single handedly. It could be a starting pitcher, a goalie, or a QB like it was with Eli in the 2007 playoffs. The problem for us is that it can't be Eli this year because the offense is already playing about as well as it possibly can! What we need is something to ignite the defense. And at this point, I really have no idea what that could possibly be.A defensive coordinator with great teaching skills, stronggame plans along with midgame adjustments would help an awful lot.

fourth&forever
12-14-2011, 08:22 PM
If we make it that far, even JPP won't be able to compensate for all the holes in this D.
BUT... maybe he can inspire the rest of the guys.

jhamburg
12-14-2011, 08:25 PM
JPP.* Tuck and Osi returning to 2010 form.* Having a kick *** defensive line would hide alot of the problems with the LB's and secondary.

Agreed. Who knows maybe seeing the young kid light up the Cowboys will inspire the old vets to keep up.

horn27
12-14-2011, 08:25 PM

It's no secret that we're not the best team in the league. I'd argue that there is a whole tier of teams better than us right now. Now that's not necessarily the end of the world, lesser teams win championships all the time. But let's think about HOW teams beat seemingly better teams in the playoffs.

Name any sport, and the way you beat better teams is by having one player get really hot in the playoffs and take over single handedly. It could be a starting pitcher, a goalie, or a QB like it was with Eli in the 2007 playoffs. The problem for us is that it can't be Eli this year because the offense is already playing about as well as it possibly can!

What we need is something to ignite the defense. And at this point, I really have no idea what that could possibly be.Maybe the blocked fg sunday night sent will light the fire.

FIFTY6G-MAN
12-14-2011, 08:34 PM
Assuming we do make the playoffs, here are my thoughts: It's no secret that we're not the best team in the league. I'd argue that there is a whole tier of teams better than us right now. Now that's not necessarily the end of the world, lesser teams win championships all the time. But let's think about HOW teams beat seemingly better teams in the playoffs. Name any sport, and the way you beat better teams is by having one player get really hot in the playoffs and take over single handedly. It could be a starting pitcher, a goalie, or a QB like it was with Eli in the 2007 playoffs. The problem for us is that it can't be Eli this year because the offense is already playing about as well as it possibly can! What we need is something to ignite the defense. And at this point, I really have no idea what that could possibly be.Maybe the blocked fg sunday night sent will light the fire.^THIS! If that doesnt do it and really get in this D's head that you have to go the extra mile to win championships and not just collect a paycheck for the season then nothing will, Hell put me out there and i will give 2000% every play even if it kills me and you dont even have to pay me, would do it for the love of the game and to actually play in just one game, that is what champions are made of ! Not the "look at me" deal

Gianthunter
12-14-2011, 08:40 PM
Assuming we do make the playoffs, here are my thoughts: It's no secret that we're not the best team in the league. I'd argue that there is a whole tier of teams better than us right now. Now that's not necessarily the end of the world, lesser teams win championships all the time. But let's think about HOW teams beat seemingly better teams in the playoffs. Name any sport, and the way you beat better teams is by having one player get really hot in the playoffs and take over single handedly. It could be a starting pitcher, a goalie, or a QB like it was with Eli in the 2007 playoffs. The problem for us is that it can't be Eli this year because the offense is already playing about as well as it possibly can! What we need is something to ignite the defense. And at this point, I really have no idea what that could possibly be.A defensive coordinator with great teaching skills, stronggame plans along with midgame adjustments would help an awful lot.So would players playingat 100% and executing what they have been taught.

andolay
12-14-2011, 08:55 PM
Look, We have proven time and time again we Can beat anyone!!!!!
Right now Eli is the best he can be with what he has. I don't mean it to sound like the team is garbage.
(ITS NOT) Look at what we have gone through all year long defense ouch!!! Injury after injury. We can't stay healthy enough to get a good game plan together, JPP is the man. for now.
lets say we lost him this week then what? Were back to playing people that have played injured or haven't had enough reps with the first team defense to know the plan. Hence break down in coverage last week.
Run game: What run game! Jacobs needs to be the starter and stay the starter. Bradshaw is good ,Ware is better, Jacobs has the winning way
2007 Superbowl Jacobs up the gut (pound that rock) Win the game by wearing the defense out, have we lost the winning way?
Last little tid bit. What the hell is it with teams and onside kicks and fake punts against us?
I'm tired of seeing it
Thanks for letting me get this out here
Andolay

jomo
12-14-2011, 09:03 PM
Assuming we do make the playoffs, here are my thoughts: It's no secret that we're not the best team in the league. I'd argue that there is a whole tier of teams better than us right now. Now that's not necessarily the end of the world, lesser teams win championships all the time. But let's think about HOW teams beat seemingly better teams in the playoffs. Name any sport, and the way you beat better teams is by having one player get really hot in the playoffs and take over single handedly. It could be a starting pitcher, a goalie, or a QB like it was with Eli in the 2007 playoffs. The problem for us is that it can't be Eli this year because the offense is already playing about as well as it possibly can! What we need is something to ignite the defense. And at this point, I really have no idea what that could possibly be.A defensive coordinator with great teaching skills, stronggame plans along with midgame adjustments would help an awful lot.So would players playingat 100% and executing what they have been taught.Not sure exactly what you are asking but let me expand on my comment. It is true that we have been decimated by injuries on D. However, we still have a fair number of good to great players everywhere except linebacker. Our DL depth is good even with Tuck an Osi fighting injuries. CW is above average and Ross is average. Rolle should be above average and Phillips is not far behind. Grant has some skills if put in the right situations. That brings me to my point. With all these experienced players, why are there so many catastrophic breakdowns in coverage? Why do we struggle so much to put pressure on quarterbacks? I attribute it to ineffective teaching and weak game plans. Our mid game adjustments are either non-existant or invisible to the people watching the game. I am at a loss to explain our abysmal defensive play. I don't believe our talent is that lacking even with the injuries. That leaves coaching to explain it. IMO</P>

Give me a better explanation, I will listen with an open mind.</P>

andolay
12-14-2011, 09:27 PM
Jpp,tuck,and osi are fighting to get the Qb first. fighting each other to prove one is better than the other. Letting the Qb step up and make that throw. If they weren't so gun ho in beating each other and play as a team, we could stop the run/qbs running for the first down and give the dbs more time to make ajustments and step up to the plate and make that big play we need.
with them fighting there is no leader. Thats my thought on the break down
Thanks,
Andolay

Gianthunter
12-14-2011, 09:45 PM
Assuming we do make the playoffs, here are my thoughts: It's no secret that we're not the best team in the league. I'd argue that there is a whole tier of teams better than us right now. Now that's not necessarily the end of the world, lesser teams win championships all the time. But let's think about HOW teams beat seemingly better teams in the playoffs. Name any sport, and the way you beat better teams is by having one player get really hot in the playoffs and take over single handedly. It could be a starting pitcher, a goalie, or a QB like it was with Eli in the 2007 playoffs. The problem for us is that it can't be Eli this year because the offense is already playing about as well as it possibly can! What we need is something to ignite the defense. And at this point, I really have no idea what that could possibly be.A defensive coordinator with great teaching skills, stronggame plans along with midgame adjustments would help an awful lot.So would players playingat 100% and executing what they have been taught.Not sure exactly what you are asking but let me expand on my comment. It is true that we have been decimated by injuries on D. However, we still have a fair number of good to great players everywhere except linebacker. Our DL depth is good even with Tuck an Osi fighting injuries. CW is above average and Ross is average. Rolle should be above average and Phillips is not far behind. Grant has some skills if put in the right situations. That brings me to my point. With all these experienced players, why are there so many catastrophic breakdowns in coverage? Why do we struggle so much to put pressure on quarterbacks? I attribute it to ineffective teaching and weak game plans. Our mid game adjustments are either non-existant or invisible to the people watching the game. I am at a loss to explain our abysmal defensive play. I don't believe our talent is that lacking even with the injuries. That leaves coaching to explain it. IMO</P>

Give me a better explanation, I will listen with an open mind.</P>Not going to the step by step . This collective group of talent of which you speak. Has rarely if at all been on the field at the same time. Hence the 100%. Add in rookies backups to backups and street players and players playing out of position.Not to defend Fewell to much. But to borrow a tebowismwhats he supposed to do part the red sea. My personal opinon is to dumb down the coverage and blitiz. But since none of us is privy to information. I put it on player exeuction not unlike the team quit of last year.

RoanokeFan
12-14-2011, 09:48 PM

Name any sport, and the way you beat better teams is by having one player get really hot in the playoffs and take over single handedly. It could be a starting pitcher, a goalie, or a QB like it was with Eli in the 2007 playoffs. <font color="#0000FF">The problem for us is that it can't be Eli this year because the offense is already playing about as well as it possibly can!
</font>
What we need is something to ignite the defense. And at this point, I really have no idea what that could possibly be.

I'm not sure that's true. The OLine has played significantly better the past two weeks and if they keep the current alignment, they will continue to improve as they work as a unit. That may seem like small consolation, but having an effective, not perfect, but effective running game can be the single most important missing link.