PDA

View Full Version : Defense 101, pg 1 - Covering a slant route

YATittle1962
09-06-2012, 01:55 PM
I was absolutely shocked last night sitting in my seat in the stadium while over and over the Cowboys completed these novice slant routes to Ogletree and Bryant

granted.....
the Giants O line cannot run or pass block
the receivers need to catch the ball
the rookie needs to hold onto the rock
the D line needs to make the tackle when they have the runner stopped 10 yards in the backfield
they also need to wrap up when they have the QB for a sure sack

but for the sake of Coughlins 66 year old heart....can these guys pretend they know how to cover a freakin slant route

A SLANT ROUTE!!!!!!

you would think they have never seen one before by the looks of it last night

of course all teams are going to hit some slants....they are a nice quick option to sprinkle in to an offense to keep defenders honest and tight

but to keep giving them that 8 yard cushion and welcoming the slant as many times as the did is just horrible play and position

tighten it up!!!!!

Eli2Shockey4aTD
09-06-2012, 02:00 PM
It was like watching a game of Madden on Pro mode.

Kruunch
09-06-2012, 02:03 PM
That's why we ran a nickle defense so much last year.

Unfortunately all of our CBs dropped dead and Deon Grant (who is apparently the only Safety in creation to be in on the nickle) is doing Elvis impersonations in Borneo.

We'll figure it out.

P.S. - Is it me or does young Wellington look like Dicaprio from What's Eating Gilbert Grape?

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/3082/marajt.jpg

SweetZombieJesus
09-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Not only that but it seemed they stuck to the base 4-3 the whole time when Dallas had 3+ WRs.

YATittle1962
09-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Not only that but it seemed they stuck to the base 4-3 the whole time when Dallas had 3+ WRs.

this is a fact

I noticed that their answer was to often stay in base but put J. Williams in

not gonna work very often fellas

TKO_I62
09-06-2012, 02:07 PM
Couldn't agree more, and on the flip side it was exceedingly frustrating that we didn't even attempt the same on offense. With an O-line not moving anyone where were our short drops and quick slants?

Kruunch
09-06-2012, 02:08 PM
this is a fact

I noticed that their answer was to often stay in base but put J. Williams in

not gonna work very often fellas

Not to mention you can't really play Cover 2 in the red zone.

YATittle1962
09-06-2012, 02:09 PM
Couldn't agree more, and on the flip side it was exceedingly frustrating that we didn't even attempt the same on offense. With an O-line not moving anyone where were our short drops and quick slants?

exactly

I never get on the coaching staff about adjusting....just not my style because I am not in the meetings

...but....when you see them amount of pressure Eli is under due to the O line doing their best impression of a turnstyle you need to implement some quick drops, hot routes, and quick slants

didnt happen

YATittle1962
09-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Not to mention you can't really play Cover 2 in the red zone.

great point

I said that to my nephew last night while it was happening

they gave a cover 2 look in the redzone which put LBs on Ogletree on a short route

GameTime
09-06-2012, 02:11 PM
if you keep making the same mistake over and over then you are insane...right??
Some of the D packages last night were insane....in a bad way

YATittle1962
09-06-2012, 02:15 PM
if you keep making the same mistake over and over then you are insane...right??
Some of the D packages last night were insane....in a bad way

for sure

were you there?

if not .. I'm not sure if it translated on TV but the defense was shuffling guys in and out constantly almost right up to the snap .....most of them with their palms to the sky as if to say.....what the hell are we doing ?

definitely looked like the first game of the season in that respect

Kruunch
09-06-2012, 02:18 PM
for sure

were you there?

if not .. I'm not sure if it translated on TV but the defense was shuffling guys in and out constantly almost right up to the snap .....most of them with their palms to the sky as if to say.....what the hell are we doing ?

Yeah they were looking pretty lost on TV too ... especially in the second half.

VBGiantsFan
09-06-2012, 02:24 PM
Yeah they were looking pretty lost on TV too ... especially in the second half.

Sounds like the Giants defense all season last year right before the big push to the playoffs. You would think this was remedied by now?

Kruunch
09-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Sounds like the Giants defense all season last year right before the big push to the playoffs. You would think this was remedied by now?

Especially since it's revolving around the exact same circumstances.

GameTime
09-06-2012, 02:27 PM
for sure

were you there?

I was there.....but my observance of the game while I am there is nothing like watching it home for me. I get caught up in the "defense" chants and all the other fan yelling and screaming..........plus a few beers. While I certainly know whats going on I dont "see" the game in great detail when I am there. Sounds odd right?

YATittle1962
09-06-2012, 02:54 PM
I was there.....but my observance of the game while I am there is nothing like watching it home for me. I get caught up in the "defense" chants and all the other fan yelling and screaming..........plus a few beers. While I certainly know whats going on I dont "see" the game in great detail when I am there. Sounds odd right?

doesn't sound odd at all

I am just obsessed with taking in everything I can while at the game that I cannot pick up on TV

plus I am right behind the bench so these things are hard to miss