PDA

View Full Version : Strength and Conditioning

Juanito
09-06-2012, 02:00 PM
Is it something that needs a rethink? I swear every year we are one of the worst teams with injuries. If we don't have a ton of players on IR or PUP, we have guys missing games and playing hurt. Quite often all of them!

When it happens so often do we need a rethink there? Not that I can see it since its the same guy who came in with Coughlin in 2004.

Kruunch
09-06-2012, 02:01 PM
If you can find a cure for a strained hammy or torn ACL you'll be a rich man.

BigBlue wins
09-06-2012, 02:06 PM
To ease a strained hammy requires good rest and constant stretching.

Maybe the giants should invest more in yoga? lol

Kruunch
09-06-2012, 02:09 PM
To ease a strained hammy requires good rest and constant stretching.

Maybe the giants should invest more in yoga? lol

Now I have a picture of Boothe wearing a unitard in the flying lotus position.

Thanks for that.

Juanito
09-06-2012, 02:31 PM
If you can find a cure for a strained hammy or torn ACL you'll be a rich man.
Maybe better preparation would make these less likely? What about ankle problems? Plax, Prince, Bradshaw have had ankle trouble in their times with the team.

GameTime
09-06-2012, 02:36 PM
Maybe better preparation would make these less likely? What about ankle problems? Plax, Prince, Bradshaw have had ankle trouble in their times with the team.
Bradshaw runs hard and is bowlegged. He hurts his ankles and feet as a product of his physiology and running style.
The big guys being gassed in the 4th quarter.....that can be addressed for sure. But actual ACL injuries and muscle pulls. Go through the roster on ANY NFL team and you will see at least half a dozen guys with strained muscles. These dudes are highy trained and tuned atheletes but **** happens and it happenes to every team.

RagTime Blue
09-06-2012, 02:41 PM
Now I have a picture of Boothe wearing a unitard in the flying lotus position.

Thanks for that.

LOL~~~!!~~~ Thanks, I needed that. . .I think.

TheShouldersOf
09-06-2012, 02:42 PM
I think it's because it's the muscle mass they build, some routine Yoga would help in stretching and keeping the muscles loose, rather then 'Tight' due to the weight training,

also acupuncture after games, and routine acupuncture would help with Chi flow and keeping healthy

Ruttiger711
09-06-2012, 02:45 PM
Is it something that needs a rethink? I swear every year we are one of the worst teams with injuries. If we don't have a ton of players on IR or PUP, we have guys missing games and playing hurt. Quite often all of them!

When it happens so often do we need a rethink there? Not that I can see it since its the same guy who came in with Coughlin in 2004.

I remember you trying to push this point last season - but do you have anything comparing the amount of injuries compared to the rest of the league?

I think you even blamed TT's injury on a strength/conditioning problem.

Kruunch
09-06-2012, 02:55 PM

With ankles you're talking about ligaments. You can stretch them, which makes your ankles weaker and prone to rolling. Once you do, you are prone to doing it constantly. The best thing that can be done, is to tape the crap out of them (look at AB's shoes ... any more tape and he'd be a mummy). There isn't an exercise that will help with that. You can have surgery to strengthen a ligament (done by tearing then repairing said ligament) but that surgery is the same as an ACL surgery with the same amount of down time (not to mention the idea of having major surgery to repair a sprained ankle is a bit overkill).

Strained and pulled hammies come from extreme and sudden contrasts in stride. Stretching only helps for the immediate few minutes after stretching and still doesn't prepare the hammy for some of the sudden leaps/runs/twists/turns that can be exacted on them. And once a hammy grabs, whether majorly or minorly, you have to stop everything.

ACL/MCLs are ligaments and like the ligaments in the ankle, can't really be strengthened short of surgery which would put the athlete out for 1-2 years.

Poor strength and conditioning only results in players being pushed around and gassed half way through a game. It doesn't do much for protection against injury in extreme situations (i.e. an NFL game).

Unfortunately, the best protection against the type of injuries we're talking about is good genetics or not playing a full contact sport.

Juanito
09-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Done a bit of research for the last three seasons, information starts to get a tad thin on the ground afterwards (premature dates listed on some teams IR lists). Included players who missed at least one full match due to injury.

2012:
9 on injured reserve/pup - Only bettered by Jacksonville, Indianapolis and New England currently. Indy = One starter in Ijalana, the rest barely even second string. Jacksonville missing Clint Session a couple of second string players and the rest fodder. Pretty much all of New England's players are nobodies save for Jake Ballard

As far as other injuries, Beatty was out, Amukamara was out, Austin was out. Nicks played banged up, Rivers and Coe left the game. Nobody knows with Brewer, presumed injured.

2011:

7th - Buffalo, Jacksonville, Indianapolis, St. Louis, Seattle, Carolina

Notable other absentees - Nicks, Snee, Manningham, Tuck, Umenyiora, Boley, Amukamara, Bradshaw, Hynoski, Ballard

2010:

Joint 5th - Ahead Cincinnati, Houston, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, = Buffalo, NE, Carolina

Notable other absentees - Nicks, Boss, Webster, Ross, O'Hara, Diehl, Bernard