PDA

View Full Version : Boy was Accorsi ever right about the evaluation of Manning!

Snappinnecks
12-14-2011, 07:52 PM
When the Giants won SuperBowl 42 I couldn't get enough of the glowing reviews about Eli all over TV and the radio. The one interview that stuck with like glue til this day is the interview Francesa had with Ernie right before the draft that year.

I was dying to hear what Ernie thought of the win so I listen ever so carefully. Francesa asked Ernie about the evaluation process in drafting Eli and he responded (I'm paraphrasing here):

I saw Eli play one of first games at Ole Miss. The team was down by five touchdowns in the first half. The coach, David Cutcliffe, puts in Eli in the middle of the 3rd quarter. Eli then proceeds to throw 5 touchdowns in the second half to almost pull out the win.

After the game the opposing coach walks up to shake hands with coach David Cutcliffe and says " Thank God we didn't see that kid the whole game".

That game told me what I would eventually find out about Eli and it's summed up in one phrase "We evaluate the quarterback position by his ability to lead his team down the field and score with the game on the line.

Was Ernie on point or what? That says it all!

myles2424
12-14-2011, 08:04 PM
Once again, I'd like to take this time to remind everyone of the "suck or luck" campaign That was going on earlier....

jaygoon
12-14-2011, 08:06 PM
Once again, I'd like to take this time to remind everyone of the "suck or luck" campaign That was going on earlier....

true that! all it takes is a loss to the Redskins and people are ready to hang up the season...

Just wait til Monday, you might have the same morons saying the same thing!

krygny
12-14-2011, 08:15 PM
All Eli ever needed was the weapons to compliment him. Now, he has them.

Why is everybody so surprised?

myles2424
12-14-2011, 08:18 PM

I was never a doubter,of Eli,our Wrs,the TE position, and as of now I believe the Oline & running game will fix itself come 2012.....it's the LBs that desperately need help...

BigBlue wins
12-14-2011, 08:45 PM

true that! all it takes is a loss to the Redskins and people are ready to hang up the season...

Just wait til Monday, you might have the same morons saying the same thing!

Eli has been money all season long. It's this stupid defense that cant even stop a nose bleed

giantsfan420
12-14-2011, 08:50 PM

actually thats the opposite of what EA said in his draft report and elis college history.

eli had i think two offensive players make it to the nfl and as EA put it on a radio interview i recently heard, "they barely had a cup of coffee in the nfl". eli did what he did in Ole Miss without any real credible talent. thats why he was so highly touted. he was doing so much with so little.

Ole Miss barely lost to Auburn bc Eli kept making huge play after huge play, and Auburn had like 14 defenders to go on to play in the NFL. Ole Miss almost won the SEC championship all on eli's arm...ole miss had some huge wins against much more competitive teams. the only teams that ole miss was more talented then, and probably not more talented but as talented, was kentucky and like indianna or vanderbilt. ole miss had one claim to fame and that was eli and he almost delivered despite a serious lack of surrounding talent

thats why throughout his career in NY i knew he was special. we've had a revolving door of talent surrounding eli but the results are always the same; a competitive team that if players do there job eli can lead us to a super bowl.

now that we finally have a nice, solid, young corp surrounding eli that eli can field general and get them to see what he does, we're seeing the results.

EA was dead on in his evaluation of Eli. An unbelievably clutch, talented player who keeps his cool in the toughest of situations who makes everyone around him better.

where would we be without easy e?

DragonSoul
12-14-2011, 08:50 PM
When the Giants won SuperBowl 42 I couldn't get enough of the glowing reviews about Eli all over TV and the radio. The one interview that stuck with like glue til this day is the interview Francesa had with Ernie right before the draft that year.

I was dying to hear what Ernie thought of the win so I listen ever so carefully. Francesa asked Ernie about the evaluation process in drafting Eli and he responded (I'm paraphrasing here):

I saw Eli play one of first games at Ole Miss. The team was down by five touchdowns in the first half. The coach, David Cutcliffe, puts in Eli in the middle of the 3rd quarter. Eli then proceeds to throw 5 touchdowns in the second half to almost pull out the win.

After the game the opposing coach walks up to shake hands with coach David Cutcliffe and says " Thank God we didn't see that kid the whole game".

That game told me what I would eventually find out about Eli and it's summed up in one phrase "We evaluate the quarterback position by his ability to lead his team down the field and score with the game on the line.

Was Ernie on point or what? That says it all!Doesnt matter as it seems ppl still think EA made a mistake on draft day....

LOLOLOLOL idiots!

mcillo
12-14-2011, 08:52 PM
Let`s not pretend that this season isn`t anything special for Eli - because it is. He has never been this good or mistake free. Maybe final four of 2007. I`ll call it a combo of Eli and play selection.
I think a coconut fell on Gilbrides head at half time vs. the Rams and it came to him to let Eli do what he does best - throw the ball down field, flags, touch passes on deep outs ( timed patterns ) seam to TE, etc. Not slants, not quick outs across the field.
I think this has fed his confidence and made him a better QB

DragonSoul
12-14-2011, 08:52 PM

He was doing it w/o the weapons before, in case you forgot all the injuries and players that moved on or let go, or shot themselves!

DragonSoul
12-14-2011, 08:55 PM
Let`s not pretend that this season isn`t anything special for Eli - because it is. He has never been this good or mistake free. Maybe final four of 2007. I`ll call it a combo of Eli and play selection.
I think a coconut fell on Gilbrides head at half time vs. the Rams and it came to him to let Eli do what he does best - throw the ball down field, flags, touch passes on deep outs ( timed patterns ) seam to TE, etc. Not slants, not quick outs across the field.
I think this has fed his confidence and made him a better QBwrong view. Yes it is his best year, but do me a favor. Look at his yearly stat lines. EVERY YEAR HE GETS(GOTTEN BETTER). So i guess every season is special for Eli then. And KG is the same guy he was for the last 5 years. He does call a great game on occasion but in general its a draw, draw, draw, run when u pass well, pass when you run well, and throw 2 fades back 2 back.

Gianthunter
12-14-2011, 10:50 PM
Let`s not pretend that this season isn`t anything special for Eli - because it is. He has never been this good or mistake free. Maybe final four of 2007. I`ll call it a combo of Eli and play selection. I think a coconut fell on Gilbrides head at half time vs. the Rams and it came to him to let Eli do what he does best - throw the ball down field, flags, touch passes on deep outs ( timed patterns ) seam to TE, etc. Not slants, not quick outs across the field. I think this has fed his confidence and made him a better QBTranslation ( I don't like Eli I never will Ernie was dead wrong but we are stuck with the him)

Roosevelt
12-14-2011, 11:06 PM

This is a load of crap.

Gianthunter
12-14-2011, 11:09 PM

This is a load of crap.
Your right. He has been making do with whatever he has since the git go. And it's been quite a turnover.

Roosevelt
12-14-2011, 11:15 PM

This is a load of crap.
Your right. He has been making do with whatever he has since the git go. And it's been quite a turnover.

It's such a shame he's had so little talent around him. If only Ernie and Jerry really cared.

Gianthunter
12-14-2011, 11:24 PM

This is a load of crap.

It's such a shame he's had so little talent around him. If only Ernie and Jerry really cared.
Sorry the Harooni passive-aggreesive won't wash. Any reasonable person can take an objective view to the turnover. And the fact that Reese believes Eli will elevate whatever he brings in shows it.

DragonSoul
12-14-2011, 11:27 PM

This is a load of crap.

It's such a shame he's had so little talent around him.* If only Ernie and Jerry really cared.
He had it early in his career, but going in 08 after plax did what only plax could do it was then turning over.

You cannot say he didn't have talent, and you can also not say he had it all a long, he made due with both and at times somewhere in between. Whether that was just the WRS, TEs, RBs, Oline and even defense/ST. All played a + and/or - roll.

Roosevelt
12-14-2011, 11:30 PM

This is a load of crap.

Sorry the Harooni passive-aggreesive won't wash. Any reasonable person can take an objective view to the turnover. And the fact that Reese believes Eli will elevate whatever he brings in shows it.

Compared to other teams, you have not a leg to stand on. The team has surrounded him with talent always.

I wonder what Kerry might have done had he had Plax, Tiki, Amani, and Shockey in his huddle.

Gianthunter
12-14-2011, 11:39 PM

This is a load of crap.

Compared to other teams, you have not a leg to stand on. The team has surrounded him with talent always.

I wonder what Kerry might have done had he had Plax, Tiki, Amani, and Shockey in his huddle.
Seems like Eli did pretty well with that group. Along with rookie,rookie,non-drafted rookie,rookie,rookie. I'm standing on both legs from past to present. Unlike others.Except for catch ball then runshockless. Even Drew Brees couldn't fix that. LOL

giantsfan39
12-14-2011, 11:43 PM
I doubt we would have had Rivers. We would have ended up with Ben who is still the best QB out of that class with Eli making a case to overtake him this year,

slipknottin
12-15-2011, 12:25 AM
I doubt we would have had Rivers. We would have ended up with Ben who is still the best QB out of that class with Eli making a case to overtake him this year,

Yea, except he's a rapist.

NoHuddle10
12-15-2011, 01:27 AM

actually thats the opposite of what EA said in his draft report and elis college history.

eli had i think two offensive players make it to the nfl and as EA put it on a radio interview i recently heard, "they barely had a cup of coffee in the nfl". eli did what he did in Ole Miss without any real credible talent. thats why he was so highly touted. he was doing so much with so little.

Ole Miss barely lost to Auburn bc Eli kept making huge play after huge play, and Auburn had like 14 defenders to go on to play in the NFL. Ole Miss almost won the SEC championship all on eli's arm...ole miss had some huge wins against much more competitive teams. the only teams that ole miss was more talented then, and probably not more talented but as talented, was kentucky and like indianna or vanderbilt. ole miss had one claim to fame and that was eli and he almost delivered despite a serious lack of surrounding talent

thats why throughout his career in NY i knew he was special. we've had a revolving door of talent surrounding eli but the results are always the same; a competitive team that if players do there job eli can lead us to a super bowl.

now that we finally have a nice, solid, young corp surrounding eli that eli can field general and get them to see what he does, we're seeing the results.

EA was dead on in his evaluation of Eli. An unbelievably clutch, talented player who keeps his cool in the toughest of situations who makes everyone around him better.

This post is 100% on point. I have been saying the same thing all along. I also happened to catch a couple of Eli's games in college and thought the exact same thing. Not an Ole Miss fan, but like to watch the kids that get hyped and notice others while watching. Eli always stuck out to me when watching him in college. I was totally convinced after watching just 1 college game of his that he was a cant miss franchise QB at the very least.

I was estatic when we traded for him and shocked he pulled the draft day stunt he did (especially after hearing more about his personality, looking back isnt it had to believe Eli would pull a draft day stunt of all people?) I was a little weary my claim was wrong after his horrible first 6 games but once I saw him bounce back and beat Dallas in the last minute during his rookie year in the last game of the season I knew I was right. Especially after looking so bad his first 6 weeks and getting crushed by the media of NYC, with the spotlight on him, the added pressure of the draft day trade, the pressure of being the son of a QB star, the added pressure of having your brother dominate the league, the added pressure of playing with premadonnas like Tiki who thought they were greater than earth, dealing with Shockey who thought he was the best TE of all time then, dealing with Plax (enough said), and then there was good ole Amani. No wonder Toomer was the first receiver to gel with Eli.

Now Eli has his full arsenal of young receivers learning under him, he has more control of the offense, his receivers only know the NFL with Eli throwing them the ball, the draft day stunt is way behind him, his brother is out of the league, he already won a super bowl, I mean the skys the limit.

Archie even hinted at the fact during an interview before Elis rookie year that he thought Eli would be better. Knowing Archie Mannings personailty type, he would never even hint at Eli being better than Peyton at anything in order to relieve that added pressure. But Archie was pretty bold when saying Eli had the better arm, Eli was the better athlete, all he would ever really say is we will see.

Just wait Gmen fans.... The best is yet to come. Its a shame some of you havent realized and enjoyed the ride like some others of us have.

Let me catch you up on what hes done so far in half of his career while youve been busy hating.

Hes lead the NFC in wins.

Hes lead the Giants to a super bowl win over the supposed greatest team of all time.

NTM he lead the game winning drive with 2:30 left in the game.

He won a super bowl MVP.

Hes thrown nearly 200 touchdowns and for over 25,000 yards.

Hes tied the record for most 4th quarter TDs in a season.

Hes thrown for more 400 yard games in a season than any other QB.

7 straight seasons of over 3000 yards and 20 tds

3rd longest consecutive games started streak of all time

4 Playoff appearances

Three 4000 yard seasons

Thrown for over 30 TDs in a season

Not a bad first half of your career, now lets see what he does during this second stretch.

I used to always say to fellow Giants fans like Harooni, Gumby etc that would just carry on and rant over every little thing Eli did wrong (half the time or more it was something Eli didnt even actually do wrong but would take the blame).... Time will tell. Time will tell all...

So Ill say it again... Just enoy the ride everyone. We have a very special player playing the most important position in the sport wearing Giants blue. Not to mention he was brave enough to come take all of us crazy MFers on and he has done it with class and pride. Never made the organization look bad, always sticking up for his teammates, even early on when none of them were sticking up for him.

Lets see what kind of magic ride Eli can take us on this year. The dudes special. Anythings possible....

NoHuddle10
12-15-2011, 01:34 AM
Wow just read my post above. Its late here and I had a very long day at the office. Didnt feel like proof reading and was just trying to make a quick point and I kept thinking of things I wanted to mention.

My bad......

Weygand
12-15-2011, 03:15 AM

He had already done it with Burress. People are surprised because they have short attention spans?

laihovalo9
12-15-2011, 06:33 AM

and he cant drive a motorcycle

Mercury
12-15-2011, 09:31 AM
Eli reminds me of his brother more and more. His brother was good early in his career but became just incredible. And, I don't think Eli has peaked yet, but he's becoming incredible. He's been pulling this team up by the bootstraps and out of the mire all season long.

MattMeyerBud
12-15-2011, 09:33 AM

hahahahahaha who was that again? Marvelousmik?

MattMeyerBud
12-15-2011, 09:38 AM

not sure Ben is the best out of that class at all.

giantsfan39
12-15-2011, 09:57 AM

not sure Ben is the best out of that class at all.

Why not? He is about as clutch as Eli, has had a horrible offensive line his entire career, has 2 rings and a 3rd superbowl appearance and puts up better numbers than Eli for the most part.

Morehead State
12-15-2011, 10:08 AM

This is a load of crap.
</P>

You are right Rosie...Its complete crap.</P>

Eli is simply playing better. His pocket awareness is substantially better. He is calmer, he's willing to throw the ball away in the face of a pass rush where last year he would chuck it into coverage. He has dumped the ball off more. he is making subtle moves with his feet (especially to his right) to create more time in the pocket.</P>

The fact is that Eli is a much more complete player this season. And he's doing it with a poorer O line than he has had in the past, along with a poorer running game.</P>

To say that its just because the players around him are better is silly. The only additional player is Cruz. And he's been great. But his line and running game are much worse.</P>

SweetZombieJesus
12-15-2011, 10:49 AM
You know, back in the early days of Eli's career, my big complaint was consistency. He'd have some monster games and then some absolutely terrible games.

But as long as he showed improvement year-to-year I was happy to stick by him.

The way he's playing now, he IS consistent and IMO there's not much left for him to improve. Wow. Maybe get to the line quicker, and work on that slide a little bit so it's not as sideways as it is now. But Eli's playing just about as well as is possible. Most of my complaints would lie with Gilbride. Hand Eli the keys now and let him call his own plays.

Cags
12-15-2011, 10:54 AM

Was Ernie on point or what? That says it all!

btw the game Ernie is referring to is a bowl game vs WVU (my alma mater). I thought the same thing after seeing that game

NYG 5
12-15-2011, 11:14 AM

This is a load of crap.

It's such a shame he's had so little talent around him.* If only Ernie and Jerry really cared.

Compared to other teams, you have not a leg to stand on.* The team has surrounded him with talent always.

The problem with Eli was the same problem with Collins. Both players hadn't matured enough to carry the team all season long. Both payers had to hit age 30 to finally grasp the position.

Maybe Collins would have thrown for 30 TDs with those players, but I don't think he had the mobility at age 30 to run around and backfoot passes for big completions the way Eli has. At least not as consistently as Eli Novitzki does fadeaway.

I just hope the Giants can continue to surround him with good talent, like they did from 2005-2008, and not waste the peak of his career with terrible support, like the Raiders.

Roosevelt
12-15-2011, 11:17 AM

This is a load of crap.

He had it early in his career, but going in 08 after plax did what only plax could do it was then turning over.

You cannot say he didn't have talent, and you can also not say he had it all a long, he made due with both and at times somewhere in between. Whether that was just the WRS, TEs, RBs, Oline and even defense/ST. All played a + and/or - roll.

Nothing is perfect but I would challenge anyone who would say this organization didn't surround him with talent - especially early in his career.

Roosevelt
12-15-2011, 11:21 AM

This is a load of crap.

Seems like Eli did pretty well with that group. Along with rookie,rookie,non-drafted rookie,rookie,rookie. I'm standing on both legs from past to present. Unlike others.Except for catch ball then runshockless. Even Drew Brees couldn't fix that. LOL

Yes, their scoring strike that put them on top with less than 6 minutes to go was simply hysterical.

Roosevelt
12-15-2011, 11:25 AM

This is a load of crap.
</p>

You are right Rosie...Its complete crap.</p>

Eli is simply playing better. His pocket awareness is substantially better. He is calmer, he's willing to throw the ball away in the face of a pass rush where last year he would chuck it into coverage. He has dumped the ball off more. he is making subtle moves with his feet (especially to his right) to create more time in the pocket.</p>

The fact is that Eli is a much more complete player this season. And he's doing it with a poorer O line than he has had in the past, along with a poorer running game.</p>

To say that its just because the players around him are better is silly. The only additional player is Cruz. And he's been great. But his line and running game are much worse.</p>

If Eli had this line and run game last season it would have been pretty ugly - as in even more INT's and fumbles.

There is no question he is playing at a higher level.

But yes, we know. He's been playing like this since the moment he was born.

Roosevelt
12-15-2011, 11:31 AM

This is a load of crap.

The problem with Eli was the same problem with Collins. Both players hadn't matured enough to carry the team all season long. Both payers had to hit age 30 to finally grasp the position.

Maybe Collins would have thrown for 30 TDs with those players, but I don't think he had the mobility at age 30 to run around and backfoot passes for big completions the way Eli has. At least not as consistently as Eli Novitzki does fadeaway.

I just hope the Giants can continue to surround him with good talent, like they did from 2005-2008, and not waste the peak of his career with terrible support, like the Raiders.

Don't get me wrong, Eli is a better quarterback, but I think we could have won it with Kerry at the helm had he had time to develop with those guys.

But Eli is better under pressure. In fact he's better then most under pressure.

TrueBlue@NYC
12-15-2011, 11:52 AM

This is a load of crap.

Compared to other teams, you have not a leg to stand on.* The team has surrounded him with talent always.

Don't get me wrong, Eli is a better quarterback, but I think we could have won it with Kerry at the helm had he had time to develop with those guys.

But Eli is better under pressure.* In fact he's better then most under pressure.*

I have to disagree with being able to win one with Kerry. I'll always have a soft spot for KC, but the truth is that when he was our QB, he needed everything to be working around him in order for him to succeed.

As soon as one thing went wrong in a game, Kerry's play would plummet. Though I agree, KC never had the talent around him that Eli has had, I don't think the offensive talent we had was good enough to win with KC.

GameTime
12-15-2011, 12:10 PM

This is a load of crap.

The problem with Eli was the same problem with Collins. Both players hadn't matured enough to carry the team all season long. Both payers had to hit age 30 to finally grasp the position. Maybe Collins would have thrown for 30 TDs with those players, but I don't think he had the mobility at age 30 to run around and backfoot passes for big completions the way Eli has. At least not as consistently as Eli Novitzki does fadeaway. I just hope the Giants can continue to surround him with good talent, like they did from 2005-2008, and not waste the peak of his career with terrible support, like the Raiders.

I have to disagree with being able to win one with Kerry. I'll always have a soft spot for KC, but the truth is that when he was our QB, he needed everything to be working around him in order for him to succeed. As soon as one thing went wrong in a game, Kerry's play would plummet. Though I agree, KC never had the talent around him that Eli has had, I don't think the offensive talent we had was good enough to win with KC.</P>

Collins was nearly the football student that Eli is. I like KC but his football smarts as a QB are nowhere near Eli's IMO. He couldnt coach up the guys like Eli does. </P>

Talking partucularly about the 2007 season.....cant really say. All things being equal I think KC folds like a cold cheap lawn chair in Lambeau.........</P>

As far as having talent around him....show me a consistently goodyear after year QB who doesnt have overall goods talent around him. There are seasons with exceptions but the talent has to be there. </P>

Better yet....look at QBs WITH good talent around them and still suck......</P>

Roosevelt
12-15-2011, 12:34 PM

This is a load of crap.

I have to disagree with being able to win one with Kerry. I'll always have a soft spot for KC, but the truth is that when he was our QB, he needed everything to be working around him in order for him to succeed.

As soon as one thing went wrong in a game, Kerry's play would plummet. Though I agree, KC never had the talent around him that Eli has had, I don't think the offensive talent we had was good enough to win with KC.

Can't argue with that.

But let me ask you this. If Eli was our quarterback in 2000 against the Ravens, would we have won?

Now of course the question is which Eli? So let's go with Eli today.

Would Eli Manning have changed the outcome of Super Bowl XXXV enough to win it?

Roosevelt
12-15-2011, 12:36 PM

This is a load of crap.

The problem with Eli was the same problem with Collins. Both players hadn't matured enough to carry the team all season long. Both payers had to hit age 30 to finally grasp the position. Maybe Collins would have thrown for 30 TDs with those players, but I don't think he had the mobility at age 30 to run around and backfoot passes for big completions the way Eli has. At least not as consistently as Eli Novitzki does fadeaway. I just hope the Giants can continue to surround him with good talent, like they did from 2005-2008, and not waste the peak of his career with terrible support, like the Raiders.

I have to disagree with being able to win one with Kerry. I'll always have a soft spot for KC, but the truth is that when he was our QB, he needed everything to be working around him in order for him to succeed. As soon as one thing went wrong in a game, Kerry's play would plummet. Though I agree, KC never had the talent around him that Eli has had, I don't think the offensive talent we had was good enough to win with KC.</p>

Collins was nearly the football student that Eli is. I like KC but his football smarts as a QB are nowhere near Eli's IMO. He couldnt coach up the guys like Eli does. </p>

Talking partucularly about the 2007 season.....cant really say. All things being equal I think KC folds like a cold cheap lawn chair in Lambeau.........</p>

As far as having talent around him....show me a consistently goodyear after year QB who doesnt have overall goods talent around him. There are seasons with exceptions but the talent has to be there. </p>

Better yet....look at QBs WITH good talent around them and still suck......</p>

I think that's a fair assessment. Kerry was good - very good at times. But he just didn't have the ability to make the big play when it was most needed.

Delicreep
12-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Philosophy Alert!!!!!

Eli has always had great talent around him, but that doesn't have to mean that it was the right mix at the right time, or that the current crop of talent is better than say '07.

Take Smith for example. Ultra tight rout runner, great hands and fantastic awareness.
Love Cruz, but not sure I would use any of those to describe him.

So who is the better "talent"?

Anyone want to say that Amani wasn't the man? On football smarts he's head and shoulders above Hakeem or anyone else we have now.

So would you take '07 Toomer or '11 Nicks?

Ballard is timed in the 40 yard dash with a calendar. Shockey was much faster and played with the heart of a lion.

Ballard or Shockey? And before you answer, you might want to check Shockeys statistics before you remember all the drama.

So I am not sure I would want to say the current crop is better than past players, but the sum total seems to be pretty sweet.

Don't think I would be so quick to say "all on Eli" or to say "Eli finally improved" or "better Talent".

Much, much more likely that all are true in one way or another.

burier
12-15-2011, 01:05 PM
I think this has fed his confidence and made him a better QB

Actually you're right and wrong.

Eli is having his best season ever...so you right Eli has never been this good...But over his 8 years in the NFL his best season has always been his last season. He improves every year.

And Eli has been very clutch since entering the league...What is special this season is that he's gotten so many opportunities to win games in the final minutes. Games in the NFL are close but not that close that often.

When its all said and done Eli's numbers this year (Where he getting all the praise and people are calling him a dark horse MVP candidate) aren't going to be all that better than his numbers last year.

He'll throw a little over 30 tds (31 last year)

He'll throw for something like 4500 yards (4002 last year. Non existant run game this year..No Defense to speak of this year..playing from behind alot this year)

15 ints (25 last year so thats a major improvement. However the year before last he threw 14..the year before that he threw 10. The 25 number was an annomoly)

so what we're really saying is that last year if 8 balls that were tipped would have just hit the ground and Eli threw only 17 picks last year we'd all be talking about how great a year he had?

That's what annoying about football fans...They plop down infron of ESPN or NFL Network and lets innarticulate *******s tell them what to think. Sanders says Eli sucks...And you agree. Sanders says Eli is Elite and you agree.

TrueBlue@NYC
12-15-2011, 01:09 PM

This is a load of crap.

But Eli is better under pressure.* In fact he's better then most under pressure.*

Can't argue with that.

But let me ask you this.* If Eli was our quarterback in 2000 against the Ravens, would we have won?

Now of course the question is which Eli?* So let's go with Eli today.

That's a very good question. It's hard to judge. Eli definintly wouldn't have lit up the score board, and probably really stuggles in that game. We simply didn't have enough talent at the skill positions to match-up with that defense and our OL was dominated by their front 7 all game. None of that changes with Eli.

The difference would be that Collins was definintly overcome by the pressure of the game and the ferocity of that defense, and his 5 picks accounted for a good amount of the Ravens points. I don't think Eli (today), at least early in the games, makes those mistakes, but overall I doubt the outcome of that game changes with Eli at QB.

And if you talk about 2005-2007 Eli being in that game, it's probably just as bad of a blowout.

TrueBlue@NYC
12-15-2011, 01:13 PM

This is a load of crap.

I have to disagree with being able to win one with Kerry. I'll always have a soft spot for KC, but the truth is that when he was our QB, he needed everything to be working around him in order for him to succeed. As soon as one thing went wrong in a game, Kerry's play would plummet. Though I agree, KC never had the talent around him that Eli has had, I don't think the offensive talent we had was good enough to win with KC.</p>

Collins was nearly the football student that Eli is. I like KC but his football smarts as a QB are nowhere near Eli's IMO. He couldnt coach up the guys like Eli does. </p>

Talking partucularly about the 2007 season.....cant really say. All things being equal I think KC folds like a cold cheap lawn chair in Lambeau.........</p>

As far as having talent around him....show me a consistently good*year after year* QB who doesnt have overall goods talent around him. There are seasons with exceptions but the talent has to be there. </p>

Better yet....look at QBs WITH good talent* around them and still suck......</p>

I think that's a fair assessment.* Kerry was good - very good at times.* But he just didn't have the ability to make the big play when it was most needed.

Yep, I think that factor is what ultimately led to EA making the change at the position. KC simply never had the ability to make those same late game comebacks that Eli has gotten famous for.

Snappinnecks
12-15-2011, 01:29 PM

This is a load of crap.

To me here is the difference. Ray Lewis went on record and said Kerry Collins was just plain scared of their defense. To top it off Ernie Accorsi said the same damn thing!! That would never happen with Eli.

Redeyejedi
12-15-2011, 01:39 PM

This is a load of crap.

They have drafted a ton of weapons for him look at all the WR's the Giants have drafted since 2007. There high picks as well.

NYG 5
12-15-2011, 01:43 PM
I disagree. Eli has been mammoth in the 4th quarter this year, and has done more to will the Giants to these types of wins in dramatic fashion. But Collins had his fair share. At the start of 2004, the active players with most 4th quarter comebacks/ game winning drives was Brady, Peyton, Collins, Favre. There were quite a few good performances that were wasted by the defense and special teams blowing games. The 2001 eagle games, the 49er debacle, the cowboy monday night game, the westbrook punt, to name a few.

Keep in mind, this is a very different league now. The Giants have a lot more explosive players on offense now. Cruz and Mannigham have much greater big play ability than Hilliard and Ron Dixon. What you have to compare is how both players were at a given age. Could Eli have beaten the Ravens at 28? Probably not. Could Collins have beaten the Pats at 26? Maybe, but he would have fumbled on the Tyree play. How would both players perform at age 30 with this team? Who knows, collins set the single season pass record at age 30, which Eli will eclipse this season, at the same age.

However, the case with Collins now is nothing but what ifs. Eli is doing it all now, the best you can do with Kerry is take that 2008 playoff game and speculate some more.

Roosevelt
12-15-2011, 02:00 PM

This is a load of crap.

Can't argue with that.

But let me ask you this. If Eli was our quarterback in 2000 against the Ravens, would we have won?

Now of course the question is which Eli? So let's go with Eli today.

That's a very good question. It's hard to judge. Eli definintly wouldn't have lit up the score board, and probably really stuggles in that game. We simply didn't have enough talent at the skill positions to match-up with that defense and our OL was dominated by their front 7 all game. None of that changes with Eli.

The difference would be that Collins was definintly overcome by the pressure of the game and the ferocity of that defense, and his 5 picks accounted for a good amount of the Ravens points. I don't think Eli (today), at least early in the games, makes those mistakes, but overall I doubt the outcome of that game changes with Eli at QB.

And if you talk about 2005-2007 Eli being in that game, it's probably just as bad of a blowout.

I'd have to agree. I'm sure we would have been in the game longer but I don't think he would have changed the outcome. Aaron Rodgers or Michael Vick on his best day maybe. A mobile quarterback with a rocket arm would have the best chance to escape that pressure.

Roosevelt
12-15-2011, 02:04 PM

This is a load of crap.

To me here is the difference. Ray Lewis went on record and said Kerry Collins was just plain scared of their defense. To top it off Ernie Accorsi said the same damn thing!! That would never happen with Eli.

Yeah but if anyone gets hit enough it's eventually going to affect them. Look at what we did to Tom Brady.

Eli handles pressure better no doubt but that was a dominant defense.

Roosevelt
12-15-2011, 02:06 PM

This is a load of crap.

They have drafted a ton of weapons for him look at all the WR's the Giants have drafted since 2007. There high picks as well.

You knew I was being sarcastic right?

plaxattack17
12-16-2011, 05:19 AM

This post is 100% on point. I have been saying the same thing all along. I also happened to catch a couple of Eli's games in college and thought the exact same thing. Not an Ole Miss fan, but like to watch the kids that get hyped and notice others while watching. Eli always stuck out to me when watching him in college. I was totally convinced after watching just 1 college game of his that he was a cant miss franchise QB at the very least.

I was estatic when we traded for him and shocked he pulled the draft day stunt he did (especially after hearing more about his personality, looking back isnt it had to believe Eli would pull a draft day stunt of all people?) I was a little weary my claim was wrong after his horrible first 6 games but once I saw him bounce back and beat Dallas in the last minute during his rookie year in the last game of the season I knew I was right. Especially after looking so bad his first 6 weeks and getting crushed by the media of NYC, with the spotlight on him, the added pressure of the draft day trade, the pressure of being the son of a QB star, the added pressure of having your brother dominate the league, the added pressure of playing with premadonnas like Tiki who thought they were greater than earth, dealing with Shockey who thought he was the best TE of all time then, dealing with Plax (enough said), and then there was good ole Amani. No wonder Toomer was the first receiver to gel with Eli.

Now Eli has his full arsenal of young receivers learning under him, he has more control of the offense, his receivers only know the NFL with Eli throwing them the ball, the draft day stunt is way behind him, his brother is out of the league, he already won a super bowl, I mean the skys the limit.

Archie even hinted at the fact during an interview before Elis rookie year that he thought Eli would be better. Knowing Archie Mannings personailty type, he would never even hint at Eli being better than Peyton at anything in order to relieve that added pressure. But Archie was pretty bold when saying Eli had the better arm, Eli was the better athlete, all he would ever really say is we will see.

Just wait Gmen fans.... The best is yet to come. Its a shame some of you havent realized and enjoyed the ride like some others of us have.

Let me catch you up on what hes done so far in half of his career while youve been busy hating.

Hes lead the NFC in wins.

Hes lead the Giants to a super bowl win over the supposed greatest team of all time.

NTM he lead the game winning drive with 2:30 left in the game.

He won a super bowl MVP.

Hes thrown nearly 200 touchdowns and for over 25,000 yards.

Hes tied the record for most 4th quarter TDs in a season.

Hes thrown for more 400 yard games in a season than any other QB.

7 straight seasons of over 3000 yards and 20 tds

3rd longest consecutive games started streak of all time

4 Playoff appearances

Three 4000 yard seasons

Thrown for over 30 TDs in a season

Not a bad first half of your career, now lets see what he does during this second stretch.

I used to always say to fellow Giants fans like Harooni, Gumby etc that would just carry on and rant over every little thing Eli did wrong (half the time or more it was something Eli didnt even actually do wrong but would take the blame).... Time will tell. Time will tell all...

So Ill say it again... Just enoy the ride everyone. We have a very special player playing the most important position in the sport wearing Giants blue. Not to mention he was brave enough to come take all of us crazy MFers on and he has done it with class and pride. Never made the organization look bad, always sticking up for his teammates, even early on when none of them were sticking up for him.

Lets see what kind of magic ride Eli can take us on this year. The dudes special. Anythings possible....
Awesome post, i believed in Eli sinse day 1. EA we can definitely thank for his spot-on evaluation, he was always the best QB of his class. What Eli is doing with this unheralded crop is remarkable. Once the 4th quarter comes round he turns from terrific quarterback to inhumanly good. And whats even more remarkable- he's entirely underrated, the media by-pass him and build up lesser names into icon status, he even got a bad rap from idiot ex-teammate Tiki, plus the fans neglect him from pro bowls, despite Eli being a Superbowl MVP, and beside Rodgers, MVP of the league this year.

BParcells777
12-16-2011, 06:50 AM
it took 8 years for him to emerge from mediocrity</P>

I'd hardly call Ernie a prophet</P>

</P>

RobCarpenter
12-16-2011, 07:03 PM

This is a load of crap.

The problem with Eli was the same problem with Collins. Both players hadn't matured enough to carry the team all season long. Both payers had to hit age 30 to finally grasp the position. Maybe Collins would have thrown for 30 TDs with those players, but I don't think he had the mobility at age 30 to run around and backfoot passes for big completions the way Eli has. At least not as consistently as Eli Novitzki does fadeaway. I just hope the Giants can continue to surround him with good talent, like they did from 2005-2008, and not waste the peak of his career with terrible support, like the Raiders.</P>

You're not seriously trying to csuggest Collins is in Eli's class..are you? </P>

I realize you have KC as your Avatar, but come on, get some perspective man.</P>

Snappinnecks
12-16-2011, 10:20 PM
it took 8* years for him to emerge from mediocrity</P>

I'd hardly call Ernie a prophet</P>

*</P>

So you think he was mediocre during the super bowl run?

BParcells777
12-16-2011, 11:28 PM
statistically yes.......that SB was defensively derived

giantsfan420
12-16-2011, 11:33 PM

the super bowl run was amazing. he literally outplayed garcia (big woop i know), Romo, Favre, and then Brady.

you could say it was defensive, but then what about Brady. Is he not a good QB bc of the super bowl game?

there was nothing medeocre with Eli joining Montana as the only qb's to throw for 2 tds in the 4th with one being needed to score under 2 min down by 4 (which montana was down by 3)

dont forget that the 1rst quarter the giants broke the SB record for longest drive in sb history, and then the turnover on the goal line in the 2nd. The Giants SHOULD HAVE scored 24 points but didnt work out like that.

for the love of god, how can anyone detract ANYTHING from that super bowl run, especially from eli. yes the defense played great, but eli carried the team to that SB and the D did its job in the SB game.

and eli had played like EA's report from the first start of the second yr, even going back to his rookie yr vs Denver.

get off it, Eli is elite. nothing you say can take that away. and he's been elite since the NE game to end the reg. season where again, one could easily argue Eli played at the same level as Brady

you dont break records longstanding in the SB era and be medeocre, sorry

NYG 5
12-17-2011, 06:02 PM

This is a load of crap.

The problem with Eli was the same problem with Collins. Both players hadn't matured enough to carry the team all season long. Both payers had to hit age 30 to finally grasp the position. Maybe Collins would have thrown for 30 TDs with those players, but I don't think he had the mobility at age 30 to run around and backfoot passes for big completions the way Eli has. At least not as consistently as Eli Novitzki does fadeaway. I just hope the Giants can continue to surround him with good talent, like they did from 2005-2008, and not waste the peak of his career with terrible support, like the Raiders.</p>

You're not seriously trying to csuggest Collins is in Eli's class..are you? </p>

I realize you have KC as your Avatar, but come on, get some perspective man.</p>

not really, theres a reason its a picture of him making that ******ed face on the sidelines.

if theres 3 tiers of of quarterbacks, bronze, silver, and gold, i think Collins was at the top of the bronzes, and had the potential and the occasional games to put him in that silver category. Eli is in the silver category, and has the potential and games that could put him into the gold category.

i just think Collins gets a bad rep around here, that he was a choke artist. aside from the super bowl and some games in 2001, when did he ever lay an egg in a big game? i recall more blown leads by the defense than Collins eggs. but no, i don't think he's in Eli's class because Eli has a more balanced skillset that allows him to carry the team. he's more independent of the team's performance than Collins was, because by the time Eli grew brain, he still has mobility. by the time Collins grew a brain, he had gotten really stiff in the pocket, plus he fumbles more than Eli.

Joe Morrison
12-17-2011, 06:04 PM
Problem is the front office won't buck up to keep Manningham and not sure what is going on with Cruz being he was a walk on, he might be up for some money too.</P>

I can see Nicks and Barden next year and some new plug ins.</P>

Morehead State
12-17-2011, 06:58 PM
</P>

One turnover in 4 games is far from mediocre.</P>

The only mediocrity here is your posts.</P>

BParcells777
12-17-2011, 09:18 PM
I was talking about his total body of work for 7 years

someone foolishly tried to excuse all those year of 70 QBR by one decent SB appearance

He is a man re-born this year but only this year............last year he threw about 23,000 picks

RobCarpenter
12-17-2011, 09:20 PM

someone foolishly tried to excuse all those year of 70 QBR by one decent SB appearance

He is a man re-born this year but only this year............last year he threw about 23,000 picks
</P>

BP, you need to just go sit in a corner...and put a pointed hat on...</P>

</P>

Morehead State
12-17-2011, 09:22 PM

</P>

Nice try to walk that one back kid. You said his SB run was statistically mediocre.</P>

Own your words son.</P>