PDA

View Full Version : David Wilson problem

elitocruz
09-06-2012, 03:11 PM
I just hope Tom didn't wreck this kids' confidence. Paul Westhead once said you can stop the bleeding, but you might kill the patient. another carry last night, even just one catch out of the backfield, would've been good for him. It's not like we were humming along on offense anyway. Tom knows waaaaay more about this than I do, so hopefully he gives him the Tiki fumble tutorial and all is well from here, because Wilson's ability can mask a lot of the O line issues just on sheer speed and athleticism. We're gonna need him

GameTime
09-06-2012, 03:13 PM
oh stop....
wreck his confidence.??!!!
if he is that fragile he will never ever make in the NFL......

GIANTSED101
09-06-2012, 03:16 PM
It looked like Wilson was harder on himself than Coughlin, the kid looked like he was about to have a breakdown on the sideline last night. He'll be fine, we'll see something from him against Tampa

Ruttiger711
09-06-2012, 03:17 PM
It's not like he didn't touch the ball again. He had a kick return after at the very least, so there's the one touch you wanted. He's cured!!!

yoeddy
09-06-2012, 03:19 PM
If his confidence is wrecked by being benched, then I'm glad he was benched...

Kruunch
09-06-2012, 03:19 PM
oh stop....
wreck his confidence.??!!!m if he is that fragile he will never ever make in the NFL......

This.

If he's that weak emotionally, he'll never survive prime time. While I would have liked to see him get some more carries and for the same reason, I'm wondering if his little melt down wasn't part of the reason he didn't get another shot. When Tiki fumbled everywhere, TC went right back to him time and again.

njg85m
09-06-2012, 03:26 PM
The kids in the NFL, it's way past the time where the head coach is going to make decisions based on not hurting an individuals feelings. Our coaches are always going to do whats best for the team at any time in the game. They're not going to put someone in just to "build his confidence".

Seriously.

/Thread.

elitocruz
09-06-2012, 03:34 PM
well. he looked pretty fragile while being consoled. that's why I posed the question

GIANTSED101
09-06-2012, 03:37 PM
I don't necessarily think he's fragile it seems more like he's upset with himself and that he fumbled in his first NFL game. We shouldn't read into it to much, if he wasn't ready he wouldn't have been put back in to receive kick offs.

GameTime
09-06-2012, 03:38 PM
well. he looked pretty fragile while being consoled. that's why I posed the question
thats my point....if he is that fragile then he's already done.....

Hooligans
09-06-2012, 03:41 PM
The fact that he cried like a little boy is telling. It will be vary hard to trust him again. It's time to move him down the depth chart and get a man backing up Bradshaw.....not a boy.

sharick88
09-06-2012, 03:44 PM
I just hope Tom didn't wreck this kids' confidence. Paul Westhead once said you can stop the bleeding, but you might kill the patient. another carry last night, even just one catch out of the backfield, would've been good for him. It's not like we were humming along on offense anyway. Tom knows waaaaay more about this than I do, so hopefully he gives him the Tiki fumble tutorial and all is well from here, because Wilson's ability can mask a lot of the O line issues just on sheer speed and athleticism. We're gonna need him
I agree that he should have gotten more touches after that fumble.That's how you develop trust in a player is by letting them redeem themselves right away after a mistake. IMO, you don't let them rot on the bench to dwell on it for the rest of the game. When I first got into the navy, my supervisor screamed at me and I was pretty down. I had messed up on a project. The very next day, he gave me the same job and I took care of business.

GameTime
09-06-2012, 03:49 PM
The fact that he cried like a little boy is telling. It will be vary hard to trust him again. It's time to move him down the depth chart and get a man backing up Bradshaw.....not a boy.
ahh....you are over reacting. The kid, IMO, will be fine. He had an emotional moment. Big deal. Its done and over with.
However.....if he really cant take this then he wont be around in the NFL for long.

RoanokeFan
09-06-2012, 03:55 PM

He was put back in to return a kick, that would have provided whatever long term confidence boost Wilson may have needed. To flip this conversation onto its head, let's say TC decided to leave Wilson in, or had to leave him in and two plays later he lost the ball again? TC would once again be the old guy who needs to go.

Kruunch
09-06-2012, 03:57 PM
He was put back in to return a kick, that would have provided whatever long term confidence boost Wilson may have needed. To flip this conversation onto its head, let's say TC decided to leave Wilson in, or had to leave him in and two plays later he lost the ball again? TC would once again be the old guy who needs to go.

Based on his reaction to the first fumble, I think Wilson would have jumped off the GWB.

RoanokeFan
09-06-2012, 03:57 PM

What does his crying have to do with anything? These players are emotional, passionate about what they do. Look at all of the players who retire or change teams and shed tears at the prospect in front of a hoarde of microphones.

YATittle1962
09-06-2012, 04:03 PM
David Wilson will either put on his big boy pants and redeem himself
or let it get to him and never make it in this league

I have a feeling the first option will come to fruition

YATittle1962
09-06-2012, 04:06 PM
this is an emotional game ..guys cry all the time

if you ever wanted something as badly as he wanted to perform well last night you would understand

Kruunch
09-06-2012, 04:12 PM
this is an emotional game ..guys cry all the time

if you ever wanted something as badly as he wanted to perform well last night you would understand

I was certainly crying last night :(

BlueSanta
09-06-2012, 04:13 PM
The kid was angry at himself, I saw no tears I just saw a young kid(1 of the youngest players in the NFL btw) upset with himself for making a mistake. I am glad he cares enough to be mad at himself, that is what will drive him to improve. I would rather see a guy get upset at his mistakes than a guy who doesnt care.

As to the fumbling, it is something to work on. We all knew it was a a problem coming out of college. Bradshaw had fumble probs early in his career, Da'rel Scott had a fumble problem coming out of school. Tiki had problems for a huge chunk of his career. Rookie Rbs with call security issues are nothing new to the NFL.

Hooligans
09-06-2012, 04:14 PM
I was certainly crying last night :(

HAHAHA...but you aren't in the game fumbling the ball to the Cowboys.

BParcells777
09-06-2012, 04:16 PM
I dont think it turned the game, and it taught him a valuable lesson........in SFO they punch balls all day long including the hallways and lunchroom....I kid you not

BigBlue1971
09-06-2012, 04:17 PM

this is his 1st nfl game so he made a mistake. he'll learn what to do with the help of coachs and players alike!

he knows hes a valuable asset and where he stands on this team! TC knows how to handle this and will.

he'll remain ABs backup until he shows he cant handle the load.

dont be surprised if Wilson breaks out next game!

nycisgreat
09-06-2012, 05:17 PM

When a parent disciplines a kid for doing something bad whether it is their fault or not, does it wreck the kids confidence or does it mold the child to become a better person? That would be the question to ask. You know that Wilson is going to get more opportunities. The kid coughed ball up on his second carry of the game while he was in good spirit, and it looked like he was crying on the sideline after the fumble. I don't know about you. If had to take a cab and the driver looked like he was crying, I know I wouldn't take the ride.

RoanokeFan
09-06-2012, 05:19 PM
The kid was angry at himself, I saw no tears I just saw a young kid(1 of the youngest players in the NFL btw) upset with himself for making a mistake. I am glad he cares enough to be mad at himself, that is what will drive him to improve. I would rather see a guy get upset at his mistakes than a guy who doesnt care.

As to the fumbling, it is something to work on. We all knew it was a a problem coming out of college. Bradshaw had fumble probs early in his career, Da'rel Scott had a fumble problem coming out of school. Tiki had problems for a huge chunk of his career. Rookie Rbs with call security issues are nothing new to the NFL.

And we also saw other players and a coach talking with him, Tuck placing his hand on his shoulder. The players have their own support system and it's important to say that TC isn't "angry" with Wilson. He loves his players and he wants them to succeed and excel.

giantsfan420
09-06-2012, 05:31 PM
u know, last night i knew TC was gonna sit him after the fumble. At that time I was kinda pissed bc Wilson coulda helped change the games complexion.

But the day after, I get why TC did it. Yeah, we lost to Dallas. Sucks. But even losing to Dallas, its done. it happened and its over. Wilson fumbling, without disciplince to make him think about it and react the way he did, that could continue to happen all season and continue to cost us. TC made a pretty noble decision imho. He had to know that not playing Wilson was gonna limit the offenses ability. I mean it was virtually all on eli, the wr's werent even helping much. Wilson breaking runs and taking swing passes 30 yds would have been HUGE. But TC wasnt gonna ignore the chance to try and teach the kid something. Looking back, Im GLAD he had that tear of regret and had to stew on the sideline watching. Anyone who studied up on WIlson predraft KNOWS how competitive and prideful Wilson is. That must have been the WORST feeling he's had on the football field in his life, and TC knew that. In todays league where Coaches keep their jobs based on players they can exploit, its actually kinda gratifying and old school to know TC didnt ignore his values and principals to try and beat dallas, something 99% of the people in this world would do imho.

The Wilson fumbling problem just fixed itself last night imho. I can guarantee that WIlson will FOREVER remember that feeling, and being benched, and I would bet my house that Wilson tkes this as a challenge. That ball is gonna be high n tight here on out, i can guarantee it...

PennState1
09-06-2012, 05:39 PM
BRAVO!!! I TOTALLY agree with you! TC is fixing a problem for a guy so he can reach his full potential and benefit the team. He fixed Tiki he can fix Wilson. I'm guessing TC is taking the long view on things now. He can afford to do so because he has cred. and this makes him so much more valuable to our franchise versus a coach on the hot seat having to second guess every decision. TC is making the right decisions for the long-term benefit of our team and it's players not for short-term gain. Wilson has his whole career ahead of him and getting it right from the outset is SO much easier than fixing bad habits that are deeply rooted.

JB456
09-06-2012, 05:41 PM

Did anyone else notice that Wilson tends to run into one of his blockers which causes him to slow down and get tackled? Or is this just me?

YATittle1962
09-06-2012, 05:53 PM
Did anyone else notice that Wilson tends to run into one of his blockers which causes him to slow down and get tackled? Or is this just me?

you gathered this info after 2 regular season carries?

mattpl908
09-06-2012, 05:55 PM
i just wanna forget about it and move on it sucks but w.e im excited to see wilson play next game tho...

YATittle1962
09-06-2012, 05:57 PM
i just wanna forget about it and move on it sucks but w.e im excited to see wilson play next game tho...

absolutely

I can't wait to watch him grow into whatever type of player he may become

it is one fumble and has happened to everyone who has ever carried the ball

Eli TO Shockey
09-06-2012, 05:58 PM

David Wilson expects allot from himself as a player. I think its a good thing he was mad at himself on the sideline. It showed emotion, it shows that he cares, rather than the contrary. Wilsons mentality from what I've gathered from him as a player/person thus far is to improve. Im sure his thinking was more along the lines of "I need to fix this" rather than "Everyone hates me".

Eli TO Shockey
09-06-2012, 06:00 PM
BRAVO!!! I TOTALLY agree with you! TC is fixing a problem for a guy so he can reach his full potential and benefit the team. He fixed Tiki he can fix Wilson. I'm guessing TC is taking the long view on things now. He can afford to do so because he has cred. and this makes him so much more valuable to our franchise versus a coach on the hot seat having to second guess every decision. TC is making the right decisions for the long-term benefit of our team and it's players not for short-term gain. Wilson has his whole career ahead of him and getting it right from the outset is SO much easier than fixing bad habits that are deeply rooted.

it's the old school TC mentality. The same mentality that helped us win 2 SB's. If you're a rookie, and you fumble, you're hitting the bench for a little while. I see nothing wrong with this. Gotta love TC

NYKiller
09-06-2012, 07:00 PM
I respect Coughlin, but I really didn't like how the giants bench David Wilson after the fumble. Me personally as a coach would have pulled David Wilson to the side, give him a confidence boost speech, and let him know I still have faith in him and send him out there because he is the most talented giants running back. However, I would give Bradshaw the majority of the carries until I am confident that David Wilson has fixed his fumbling problem for the most part. However, Coughlin left him feeling down and didn't give him a early chance for redemption. Who knows how he would have performed after that just me make up for what he had done. Now he will be thinking about that fumble for an entire week. He might even shed a few tears during the week lol.

CowboysSuck
09-06-2012, 07:05 PM
This.

If he's that weak emotionally, he'll never survive prime time. While I would have liked to see him get some more carries and for the same reason, I'm wondering if his little melt down wasn't part of the reason he didn't get another shot. When Tiki fumbled everywhere, TC went right back to him time and again.

Tiki wasn't playing in his very first NFL game, prime time, vs a division opponent. Slight difference.

I am slightly surprised that he got completely benched from the offense...oh well thats how things work.

And you never really know what was behind it. Maybe they ran that exact same play in practice, and when he switched the ball to his left hand he fumbled. Maybe it happened more than once at practice.

So maybe Coughlin said "jeez this kid didnt listen to a word I said last week" etc etc.

A little far-fetched but hey, you never know. I'm sure there was a reason he didnt get another touch. Maybe it was his hissy fit?

CowboysSuck
09-06-2012, 07:08 PM
it's the old school TC mentality. The same mentality that helped us win 2 SB's. If you're a rookie, and you fumble, you're hitting the bench for a little while. I see nothing wrong with this. Gotta love TC

I completely agree. I think I would do the same myself. Hes sending a clear message to everyone on the team.

"I dont give a **** what name is on the back of your jersey, if you are an unproven player in this league you cant go out as a liability to this team; unless you want to ride the pine" - Essentially what Coughlin was saying by benching DW

sodbuster
09-06-2012, 08:30 PM
some times you try so hard not to do something. and you still do it that just makes it worse and you get so mad at your self..you could scream..he will be fine..

Rat_bastich
09-06-2012, 09:10 PM
I'm glad he did cry. That shows me that he cares and that it will be few and far between before something like that happens again. I think TC knows he can trust him to get better. I don't think he'll be in the doghouse but I think the coaches now know what he needs to work on and they will have a very willing student.

appodictic
09-06-2012, 09:16 PM
WTF is wrong with you guys. If someone fumbles and hes a rookie it does not matter how much you like him you got to take him out. If he fumbled twice in one game you guys would be calling TC the worst coach ever for not pulling him sooner. Face it bradshaw is the #1, some people see wilson hit a few nice carries in the pre-season and were like OMG we are saved! At this stage in his career wilson is LUCKY to get 1 carry a game. He should thank TC and the giants coaching staff for the opportunities he had.

After leading the giants in the playoffs in rushing AB had to be third string to jacobs and ward for a year.

gmen0820
09-06-2012, 09:22 PM
DW is gonna be a beast. I could care less about his fumble, I'm more upset for Wilson than the fact we loss to be honest. When that ball came out, all I could think of was how Wilson wasn't able to stick to all of his goals this year.

JB456
09-06-2012, 09:27 PM
you gathered this info after 2 regular season carries?

Nah, I saw it happen in the preseason a few times. Its just not something i'm used to seeing and when it happens so frequently with so few carries, it just popped out at me.

TAILGATIN'
09-06-2012, 09:31 PM
WTF is wrong with you guys. If someone fumbles and hes a rookie it does not matter how much you like him you got to take him out. If he fumbled twice in one game you guys would be calling TC the worst coach ever for not pulling him sooner. Face it bradshaw is the #1, some people see wilson hit a few nice carries in the pre-season and were like OMG we are saved! At this stage in his career wilson is LUCKY to get 1 carry a game. He should thank TC and the giants coaching staff for the opportunities he had.

After leading the giants in the playoffs in rushing AB had to be third string to jacobs and ward for a year.

I disagree. If we wasted a round 1 pick on a guy to play one snap a game, then our management is horrible (i dont think it is). Wilson is expected to produce and im confident he will. No way in hell Bradshaw stays healthy for every game, nor will he be able to carry the entire load. I love the guy, but lets be real here. We did not draft Wilson to have him ride the bench all season. Im fine with TC's decision, but to say Wilson's lucky to get a play a game is redunkulous.

That said, the O line looked terrible and couldnt give the push we needed. Im a little scared, but hoping the staff can adjust the boys. We gotta establish some holes for the runners and some protection for E or our seasons in trouble. I wont even mention the corner situation.

appodictic
09-06-2012, 09:45 PM
I disagree. If we wasted a round 1 pick on a guy to play one snap a game, then our management is horrible (i dont think it is). Wilson is expected to produce and im confident he will. No way in hell Bradshaw stays healthy for every game, nor will he be able to carry the entire load. I love the guy, but lets be real here. We did not draft Wilson to have him ride the bench all season. Im fine with TC's decision, but to say Wilson's lucky to get a play a game is redunkulous.

That said, the O line looked terrible and couldnt give the push we needed. Im a little scared, but hoping the staff can adjust the boys. We gotta establish some holes for the runners and some protection for E or our seasons in trouble. I wont even mention the corner situation.

A first round draft pick is not a guarantee of playing time. Sure AB will NOT be able to take every carry this year, but you cant just throw Wilson in because things are expected out of him.

Bradshaw is a 6th or 7th round pick that worked his way through a system and earned the starting spot, Wilson just does not deserve snaps because he is the number one pick. There are guys like Andre Brown and D Scott. D Scott had a 95 yard pre season run for a TD. Does he just deserve to ride the bench because Wilson.

The actual situation is probably this. Wilson is new, and not very familiar with the playbook. Wilson probably only has repetition of a handfull of plays from the playbook; he can't take every snap they probably called his plays early. Also with the score getting out of hand the giants needed to throw more, wilson is not a trusted blocker, thus bradshaw is in. because he is hands down one of the best blocking running backsin the NFL.

Breezely
09-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Coughlin was more vexed about Coe going down than the Wilson fumble.

Redeyejedi
09-06-2012, 10:42 PM
Did anyone else notice that Wilson tends to run into one of his blockers which causes him to slow down and get tackled? Or is this just me?Wilson has mediocre vision it was all over his college tape for any Giant fan that wants to go look at it. This pick worried me some. i see high level of physical talent outstanding burst/balance but great instincts and vision I do not.