PDA

View Full Version : Video of offensive line run blocking

Neverend
09-06-2012, 07:30 PM
If anyone is interested watching:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA7W01d4ohg

Boothe played up and down. Locklear didn't look great either. Bennett was okay against ware.

Eliscruzzz
09-06-2012, 07:40 PM
It's sad we might as well just put Bennet as LT he did the best against Ware he was our best blocker

PennState1
09-06-2012, 07:46 PM
That was REALLY interesting. Thanks for sharing. A couple of thoughts, from an old lineman's perspective, Booth had some really great plays especially while pulling and on the Bradshaw TD run he took out 2 Cowboys. He also had a few wiffs but that happens. Generally speaking, it appeared to me that the big guys had a hard time keeping their feet under them and moving. There were way too many blockers going down or tripping over one another.

Conditioning?

giantsfan420
09-06-2012, 07:51 PM
this just disgusts me. we had a chance to go up 2 scores befoe the half and just could not run for our lives. like wtf. bennett really is the best OL we have wow LMAO

TheAnalyst
09-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Boothe is a backup at best. Baas STILL CANT run block. Diehl is past his days. Locklear is nearing the end as well. That leaves Snee. Im more worried that the organization actually thought it was a good idea to not do a thing to help the franchise $100M QB 2 time MVP out at all this year, or the running backs after finishing dead last in running last year. How could they be ok after last season? Eli got beat up more then ever and we were last in running. When you finish dead last running, your Oline is terrible, not your RBs. Eli might get murdered by a blindside this year, and we can thank the organization. But we can still thank them for the 2 SBs as well so Im kinda torn, lol.

NYKiller
09-06-2012, 07:58 PM

Boothe played up and down. Locklear didn't look great either. Bennett was okay against ware.

So did anyone sent this video to Jerry Reese and Tom Coughlin yet? If anyone decided to send this video, tell them to view my "Cut David Carr Thread" as well lol.

TheEnigma
09-06-2012, 08:04 PM
People wonder why a few posters bring up switching to a spread offense lol. If that is what we are going to get out of the offensive line, what is the point in trying to run the ball?

ibbill
09-06-2012, 08:26 PM
Awesome video from what I can see Dallas had 7 or 8 men in the box.Chances of running were slim and none.

TextureDj
09-06-2012, 08:37 PM
I think maybe they got he definition of offensive line wrong. I for one am offended, but i dont think that is the idea.

JB456
09-06-2012, 08:45 PM

This video made me seriously depressed. I just don't understand how they can leave the offensive line in tact with how bad they performed last year. Now, whats going to happen when the Giants face a team with a real deal pass rush like the Eagles? Hopefully Gilbride understands what he is working with and adjusts his game plans accordingly. The Giants won't accomplish anything this year if they pretend they are power rushing team.

Neverend
09-07-2012, 06:09 AM
This video made me seriously depressed. I just don't understand how they can leave the offensive line in tact with how bad they performed last year. Now, whats going to happen when the Giants face a team with a real deal pass rush like the Eagles? Hopefully Gilbride understands what he is working with and adjusts his game plans accordingly. The Giants won't accomplish anything this year if they pretend they are power rushing team.

im not sure if this offensive line fits any run blocking scheme, period. lol

wado1
09-07-2012, 06:54 AM
Few things I gather from this video

As a whole, we don't move the other team's DL at all. We don't push them, we don't change the LOS
We aren't as athletic as we once were. A few years ago, we were great a pulling, now we are older so we aren't that good.
Those quick runs where we don't have to use leverage/strength to move guys out, seem to work better.

Once Seubert and Ohara god old/hurt, we have seen a drop off. Boothe is ok but he is the type of guy that needs to be your 4th best lineman. Baas sucks, he's horrible. Diehl's best days are behind him.

I remember last year our best running games came with Boothe at center because Baas was hurt. We should try that.

We should try

Beatty, Diehl, Boothe, Snee, Locklear.

After this season, if it continues like last year and this first game, Baas needs to go and the interior of our OL needs to be addressed. We will need a new LG and C since we are banking on Beatty at LT and Brewer at RT.

Captain Chaos
09-07-2012, 07:48 AM
Few things I gather from this video

As a whole, we don't move the other team's DL at all. We don't push them, we don't change the LOS
We aren't as athletic as we once were. A few years ago, we were great a pulling, now we are older so we aren't that good.
Those quick runs where we don't have to use leverage/strength to move guys out, seem to work better.

Once Seubert and Ohara god old/hurt, we have seen a drop off. Boothe is ok but he is the type of guy that needs to be your 4th best lineman. Baas sucks, he's horrible. Diehl's best days are behind him.

I remember last year our best running games came with Boothe at center because Baas was hurt. We should try that.

We should try

After this season, if it continues like last year and this first game, Baas needs to go and the interior of our OL needs to be addressed. We will need a new LG and C since we are banking on Beatty at LT and Brewer at RT.

Dallas didn't even have Ratliff, this O Line is very weak.

Jahh
09-07-2012, 08:59 AM
the embedded video is not loading on my machine. Can someone link it for me?

drewz
09-07-2012, 09:07 AM
Biggest problem it seems like very few blocks are finished.

Diehl is toast.. jesus

lamas
09-07-2012, 10:07 AM
OK, I know I'm going to get blasted for this but I guess I'm the only one who doesn't see this as a complete failure. I mean sure, it wasn't pretty, but the only two plays that were for negative yards were at the goal line. That's pretty good, no?

Here is the breakdown of each quarter:

1st Quarter (2.8 ypc)
AB +2
DW +3
AB +3
AB +2
DW +2 (fumble)
AB +3
AB +5

2nd Quarter Average (1.6 ypc)
AB -2 (goal line)
AB -1 (goal line)
AB 0
AB +2
AB +5

3rd Quarter Average (5.5 ypc)
AB +2
AB +6
AB +5
AB +5
AB +10 TD
AB +5

4th Quarter Average (11.5 ypc)
AB 0
AB +9
AB +33
AB +4

Isn't this typical? As their defense gets worn down, our blocking and run game gets better. Bradshaw ended up with a 4.6 ypc average. That's not bad. When you only run the ball 19 times, you only get 78 yards. Yes I understand the 'boys were playing softer against the run when they were ahead but this is typical for any game. I just don't see it as the worst blocking performance ever in history. And to add, they should get better over time as they play together more. When we were a great rushing team in '08, we didn't have huge talented guys that could man handle their opponent, we had a tough cohesive unit that worked together and did their job. It is still possible with the guys on our roster.

-Proud Homer

egyptian420
09-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Quiet frankly, I don't even want to see this video. Our o-line is so damn pathetic and depressing. Im happy with our first 3 picks in thr draft because they addressed areas of concern but I dont think just bringing in Locklear was the answer to this terrible o line.

giantsfan420
09-07-2012, 10:56 AM
OK, I know I'm going to get blasted for this but I guess I'm the only one who doesn't see this as a complete failure. I mean sure, it wasn't pretty, but the only two plays that were for negative yards were at the goal line. That's pretty good, no?

Here is the breakdown of each quarter:

1st Quarter (2.8 ypc)
AB +2
DW +3
AB +3
AB +2
DW +2 (fumble)
AB +3
AB +5

2nd Quarter Average (1.6 ypc)
AB -2 (goal line)
AB -1 (goal line)
AB 0
AB +2
AB +5

3rd Quarter Average (5.5 ypc)
AB +2
AB +6
AB +5
AB +5
AB +10 TD
AB +5

4th Quarter Average (11.5 ypc)
AB 0
AB +9
AB +33
AB +4

Isn't this typical? As their defense gets worn down, our blocking and run game gets better. Bradshaw ended up with a 4.6 ypc average. That's not bad. When you only run the ball 19 times, you only get 78 yards. Yes I understand the 'boys were playing softer against the run when they were ahead but this is typical for any game. I just don't see it as the worst blocking performance ever in history. And to add, they should get better over time as they play together more. When we were a great rushing team in '08, we didn't have huge talented guys that could man handle their opponent, we had a tough cohesive unit that worked together and did their job. It is still possible with the guys on our roster.

-Proud Homer
the thing is, in the 3rd and 4th qrt, there was TWO runs that skewed the avg. that 40 yder, and that 10 yder and some other runs Bradshaw some how turned into positive gains after breaking a few tackles behind the LOS.
I know u cant discount those two runs, but it was more of the situation than it was run blocking. Shotgun draw on 3rd and 4 when dallas sells out to defend the pass for example. Zero push, the OL playing way too upright, DD needing help every snap...just awful OL performance

Gmenbroinlaw
09-07-2012, 10:56 AM

We should try

From the vid posted, Baas wasn't that bad. Sure there were a few spots but it was the line as a whole. Can't really single Baas out. When the line as a unit fails, usually thats a coaching issue.

Jahh
09-07-2012, 11:18 AM
thanks yall

Toadofsteel
09-07-2012, 11:24 AM
One other thing I noticed on that video is that defenders disengaged from the o-line way too easily... it seems like once they decided to plug the hole instead they had no trouble going to it.

Harooni
09-07-2012, 11:55 AM
no surprise I called this a year ago, happens when you do not draft oline early. you have to plan for the future in that position.

ShakeandBake
09-07-2012, 12:37 PM
You know our line is bad based on how many times Bennett received no help in blocking Ware. Snee is our only starter who actually deserves to be out there.

jomo
09-07-2012, 12:59 PM
no surprise I called this a year ago, happens when you do not draft oline early. you have to plan for the future in that position.Well, in life and in football, sometimes you do something and believe that you've figured it all out.

The Giants have gotten away for years with lower draft choices and free agents coached up to being pretty darn good. Think Seubert and O'hara. Our top picks like Rosenthal and the other guy from Notre Dame didn't pan out. So we roll along thinking that we are smarter than everyone. Then we find ourselves with one really good and one legitimate NFL lineman in Snee and Baas. We've got alot of work to do in the off season.

The really frustrating part of this is that JR knew how bad this was in the off season and he didn't do anything to improve it. Our draft choices like Petrus and Brewer are atrocious and the guys we drafted this year are just as bad. I believe we cut one of the OL we drafted right?

As good an eye as our staff has for DL, we balance that with seemingly no eye at all for OL talent. Maybe using high picks is the answer but I am not sure they know the formula.

CowboysSuck
09-07-2012, 01:07 PM
After watching the video, it seems that our blocking was off. Clearly thats the obvious thing.

What also surprises me is that on just about EVERY run play, the cowboys had at least 7 men in the box and practically KNEW we were running it. You can see it. They never took a single step backwards to honor the PA. KG needs to do a better job at disguising things and Eli and Co. need new audibles. That tape is pretty disgusting for the most part..

Kruunch
09-07-2012, 02:13 PM
Our offensive line isn't as aggressive as it has been in the past but it's not a horrible line ... it's just a line that played very mediocre (they could have been so much worse).

If you look at the video again, you'll notice barring an exception, that the line stands up the defenders leaving spots to take. However, you'll notice that AB doesn't cut back, or when he does, he does so way too late. All those line shift runs ... those are designed cut back plays. AB also went down on first contact a ton.

While the line played sub-par, I'd look at AB's performance as well ... it wasn't stellar by any stretch.

Neverend
09-07-2012, 10:45 PM
Our offensive line isn't as aggressive as it has been in the past but it's not a horrible line ... it's just a line that played very mediocre (they could have been so much worse).

If you look at the video again, you'll notice barring an exception, that the line stands up the defenders leaving spots to take. However, you'll notice that AB doesn't cut back, or when he does, he does so way too late. All those line shift runs ... those are designed cut back plays. AB also went down on first contact a ton.

While the line played sub-par, I'd look at AB's performance as well ... it wasn't stellar by any stretch.

I'm worried about bradshaw too. I miss the guy who refused to go down, he seems to be going down on first contact a lot more than he used too. Its just one game, but his running gave me a bad taste in my mouth

gmen46
09-08-2012, 10:01 PM
I'm worried about bradshaw too. I miss the guy who refused to go down, he seems to be going down on first contact a lot more than he used too. Its just one game, but his running gave me a bad taste in my mouth

Bradshaw's running gave you a bad taste in your mouth? Really?

Regardless of all this OL talk, and all the OL problems everyone here have detailed ad nauseum, Bradshaw still managed to gain 78 yards in 17 carries for a 4.6 ave, including a 10 yard TD carry and a long carry of 33 yards.

Ever since he began having a more prominent role in the run game in 2009, he has averaged 12-17 carries a game and has averaged anywhere from 50-74 yards per game and has had 7, 8, and 9 TDs respectively over the last 3 seasons. He ran for an average of 3.9 per carry last year, as opposed to 4.6 ave on Wed.

I'd say Bradshaw had a slightly high-to-above average night vs Dallas, and with this "horrible" OL you all are crying about.

A little perspective might help, here.

Bradshaw's performance--and even the OL's performance-- is not the reason we lost to Dallas.

The defensive backfield made Romo look like Aaron Rodgers/Drew Brees/Tom Brady combined in the second half (allowing 2 huge TD passes to receivers untouched and uncontested; our front 7 allowed over 100 yards rushing in the second half (after holding it to under 30 total yards in the first half); there were at least 4 dropped sure passes by normally fairly sure-handed receivers Cruz and Bennett; and Wilson fumbled his second carry of his career.

These errors, in aggregate, are what cost us the game. Not the running of Bradshaw, and not the OL's run game overall.

Does the OL and OL coach have it's work cut out for them? Of course they do. But if you are honest with yourselves, you will note that this loss was indeed a team effort. And I'll bet that most of Coughlin's, Gibride's attention --while on the OL for sure--will be spent more productively (along with Fewell's attention) on everything else that went wrong that night.

nygon3
09-09-2012, 01:24 AM
It's sad we might as well just put Bennet as LT he did the best against Ware he was our best blocker

Tackle eligible ALL DAY!