PDA

View Full Version : We should run a fake or two at some point

jhamburg
12-15-2011, 12:36 AM
When we play Dallas again, or if we get in and play teams like GB or NO in the playoffs, I'd really like to see us do a surprise onsides kick or a fake punt.

1. We don't really ever do it so it would be highly unexpected.

2. Those are tough games so we might need to take chances to win.

3. Our offense is so good and our defense is so bad that we will be trading touchdowns for most of the game. One extra possession could make the difference.

4. Those opponents have bad defenses and good offenses as well, we should take a chance to keep their offense of the field.

All things considered I think it's a medium risk/high reward play, and I will be very disappointed if we don't at least give it a try.

titwio
12-15-2011, 12:49 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing a fake every now and then but Coughlin is old school and he likes playing the field position game.

I'd like to see some WR reverses myself. Get Mario or Cruz on a misdirection and let em go. Especially when the run game has been so poor...They need to employ some of that and get those guys out in space.....That's something else they rarely do.

Gmen2005
12-15-2011, 01:04 AM
should just kick onsides kicks, not like the defense can stop anyone anyways. It'll actually improve the "stats" [:P]

giantsforce
12-15-2011, 01:10 AM
When we play Dallas again, or if we get in and play teams like GB or NO in the playoffs, I'd really like to see us do a surprise onsides kick or a fake punt.

3. Our offense is so good and our defense is so bad that we will be trading touchdowns for most of the game. One extra possession could make the difference.

4. Those opponents have bad defenses and good offenses as well, we should take a chance to keep their offense of the field.

All things considered I think it's a medium risk/high reward play, and I will be very disappointed if we don't at least give it a try.I guess that would be one way of getting rid of TC. He would have a heart attack if Killdrive calls anything other than the 4 plays that they use the entire game. (shotgun draw, throw deep, shotgun draw, punt)

laihovalo9
12-15-2011, 01:32 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing a fake every now and then but Coughlin is old school and he likes playing the field position game.

I'd like to see some WR reverses myself. Get Mario or Cruz on a misdirection and let em go. Especially when the run game has been so poor...They need to employ some of that and get those guys out in space.....That's something else they rarely do.
dont you know a reverse is far too complex for gilbride to comprehend?

Weygand
12-15-2011, 02:18 AM

All things considered I think it's a medium risk/high reward play, and I will be very disappointed if we don't at least give it a try.

1/10

Slunk3AM
12-15-2011, 02:18 AM
They should make a play for Eli to run since he knows how to slide now LOL

Make him bootleg to the right then tuck the ball and run! Extra credit if its on 3rd or 4th down!

Weygand
12-15-2011, 02:20 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing a fake every now and then.

Oh yeah....especially with the great result we got last time.

That was a disgrace to the memory of Gary Reasons

Firenugget
12-15-2011, 06:36 AM
Yeah and if it works it's great. However if it backfires, everyone will be screaming "FIRE COUGHLIN" etc..

Mercury
12-15-2011, 09:06 AM
I could see an onside kick to start the game. I have no doubt our opponents would not expect it from TC. I would think it would have about a 90% chance of working, if practiced and well executed.

I'd rather not see a fake punt or FG. I'd rather have the yards Weatherford gives us on a punt. I'd rather have three points from the FG, or barring that, have Eli throw on fourth down. I trust Eli more than Tynes/Weatherford to get us a first down.

Now that the run game is working, a Jacobs flea flicker would be gold.

miked1958
12-15-2011, 09:47 AM
I could see an onside kick to start the game. I have no doubt our opponents would not expect it from TC. I would think it would have about a 90% chance of working, if practiced and well executed.

I'd rather not see a fake punt or FG. I'd rather have the yards Weatherford gives us on a punt. I'd rather have three points from the FG, or barring that, have Eli throw on fourth down. I trust Eli more than Tynes/Weatherford to get us a first down.

</P>

I wanted to see an onsides kick at the END of the GB game. Everyone thought i was crazy. I think it would have had more then a 90percent chance of working. I knew we wouldnt stop Rodgers from getting into FG range to beat us 38-35 even with just 58 seconds left. I knew that Defense would not stop GB. SO i am thinking if we are going to allow them to march right down and score anyway, why not try an onsides kick? </P>

If nothing else at least squib it down the field so the clock starts on first touch and more time runs down. I really think though in that situation after just getting a td and 2pt converison to tie the game that an Onsides Kick would be the absolute LAST THING the Packers would expect us to do. </P>

In Desperate times you sometimes have to resort to Desperate Measures in a 4game losing streak to shake things up.. We needed something to jumpstart this team and a successful Onsides kick would have done just that. </P>

I feel with us recovering the ball on the 40/45 yard line with about 45 or so seconds left. Eli completes a couple passes to get US in FG range and we WIN 38-35 not GB...
Just Saying</P>

Now if it does nt work and GB gets ball on say our 40 or so and they complete one pass and get in FG range people would have been calling for heads. but i think that would have been a GUTSY call that our conservative coaching staff would never make in a million years</P>

yoeddy
12-15-2011, 10:09 AM
A failed fake is the same thing as a turnover. I'd like to minimize the risk of turnovers...

jhamburg
12-15-2011, 10:16 AM
A failed fake is the same thing as a turnover. I'd like to minimize the risk of turnovers...

Kicking off to the other team is a turnover too. An onsides kick actually decreases your risk of a turnover.

scf424
12-15-2011, 10:21 AM
Come out in a 5 Wide in the goal line, and run a QB draw.

This week.

I need fantasy points.

miked1958
12-15-2011, 10:21 AM
A failed fake is the same thing as a turnover. I'd like to minimize the risk of turnovers... Kicking off to the other team is a turnover too. An onsides kick actually decreases your risk of a turnover.</P>

I still think it would have worked. go rewatch it... all the GB players were leaning heavy towards running down the field. Dont even think they had "Hands" team in there.. just the regular ST players</P>

jhamburg
12-15-2011, 10:27 AM
I could see an onside kick to start the game.* I have no doubt our opponents would not expect it from TC.* I would think it would have about a 90% chance of working, if practiced and well executed.

I'd rather not see a fake punt or FG.** I'd rather have the yards Weatherford gives us on a punt.* I'd rather have three points from the FG, or barring that, have Eli throw on fourth down.* I trust Eli more than Tynes/Weatherford to get us a first down.

</P>

I wanted to see an onsides kick at the END of the GB game. Everyone thought i was crazy. I think it would have had more then a 90percent chance of working. I knew we wouldnt stop Rodgers from getting into FG range to beat us 38-35 even with just 58 seconds left. I knew that Defense would not stop GB. SO i am thinking if we are going to allow them to march right down and score anyway, why not try an onsides kick? </P>

If nothing else at least squib it down the field so the clock starts on first touch and more time runs down. I really think though in that situation after just getting a td and 2pt converison to tie the game that an Onsides Kick would be the absolute LAST THING the Packers would expect us to do. </P>

In Desperate times you sometimes have to resort to Desperate Measures in a 4game losing streak to shake things up.. We needed something to jumpstart this team and a successful Onsides kick would have done just that. </P>

I feel with us recovering the ball on the 40/45 yard line with about 45 or so seconds left. Eli completes a couple passes to get US in FG range and we WIN 38-35 not GB...
Just Saying</P>

Now if it does nt* work and GB gets ball on say our 40 or so and they complete one pass and get in FG range people would have been calling for heads. but i think that would have been a GUTSY call that our conservative coaching staff would never make in a million years</P>

That's pretty crazy, 58 seconds and 1 timeout is not that much time. I know Rodgers is God and everything but that's not automatic even against our defense.

If it was say 1:58 instead, I think it could be an interesting idea though. If we kick off Rodgers has to be like 90% to get into FG range with that much time left. Either it works, or at least it might force them to score a little faster.

titwio
12-15-2011, 02:22 PM

I'm not even sure that play was a designed fake. And if so then that was just a horrible play. It looked like Steve just went "what the hey" and made a run for it.

I like the creative fakes Sean Payton uses and the gutsy parts of the game he employs them....

That's more of what I had in mind.

Weygand
12-15-2011, 02:23 PM

Kicking off to the other team is a turnover too. An onsides kick actually decreases your risk of a turnover.

Yes, but you'd like to think your defense has the ability to stop your opponent's offense and you can win the battle of field position. If you say screw it, every kickoff is going to be onside, then you're potentially giving your opponent great starting field position.

The Giants are a pretty orthodox team and part of that platform is winning the battle of field position.

What they could do is say practice 5 man recoveries rather than the use of the hands team and every 3rd KO this game is onside or every other KO will be onside. But Coughlin would have to be drunk to ever even assent to considering possibly doing it.

jhamburg
12-15-2011, 02:25 PM

I'm not even sure that play was a designed fake. And if so then that was just a horrible play. It looked like Steve just went "what the hey".

I like the creative fakes Sean Payton uses and the and the gutsy parts of the game he employs them....

That's more of what I had in mind.

Actually I think it was confirmed that the play was waved off because of the front they were showing and Steve didn't get the memo

yoeddy
12-15-2011, 02:45 PM

True, but it comes at an expense of 35-45 yards of field position...

burier
12-15-2011, 02:51 PM
I like the old half back pass.

Maybe a flea flicker though our Oline might struggle to get that blocked up.

Any other trick plays are either to too risky (Reverse, end around, double reverse) or bush league. (Random onside kick, fake punt, fake field goal.

jhamburg
12-15-2011, 02:58 PM

True, but it comes at an expense of 35-45 yards of field position...

Surprise onsides kick works like 60% of the time. So most of the time we're the ones who get the good field position.

Weygand
12-15-2011, 03:00 PM
I like the old half back pass.

Shades of Meggett

Redeyejedi
12-15-2011, 03:02 PM
Against Dallas I thought they should of kneeled the ball on 2nd down. They had no time outs they could of ran the clock down to 20 seconds and then ran a play.They had TO's so they still could of ran it.I thought the defense was going to blow it for sure and they almost did

Weygand
12-15-2011, 03:04 PM
Surprise onsides kick works like 60% of the time. So most of the time we're the ones who get the good field position.

Start doing onside kicks 60% of the time and watch that 60% success plummet

jhamburg
12-15-2011, 03:06 PM

That's why I wouldn't do it more than maybe twice a season.

Weygand
12-15-2011, 03:10 PM

That's why I wouldn't do it more than maybe twice a season.

Yeah...there's something to be said for both approaches. It's all part of the HC's philosophy.

miked1958
12-15-2011, 04:09 PM
Against Dallas I thought they should of kneeled the ball on 2nd down. They had no time outs they could of ran the clock down to 20 seconds and then ran a play.They had TO's so they still could of ran it.I thought the defense was going to blow it for sure and they almost did</P>

Interesting point. Better then my Onsides Kick Idea. That would have been better then scoring so quick. But then u are giving up a down. I know you still would have had time to get off 3rd and 4th and goal because of the timeouts, but had we not scored we would have never heard the end of it in the Media for kneeling down on 2nd down. LOL</P>

titwio
12-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Against Dallas I thought they should of kneeled the ball on 2nd down.

This actually went through my head when they got to the 1yd line but the way it played it out was the right decision.

Imagine if they did kneel it down on 2nd and then got stuffed on 3rd for a loss of two yards and failed on 4th....

Coughlin would have been slayed out NY in a shopping cart.