PDA

View Full Version : Tom Coughlin explains his decision to bench David Wilson

RoanokeFan
09-06-2012, 08:32 PM
TOM COUGHLIN EXPLAINS HIS DECISION TO BENCH DAVID WILSON (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/09/giants_tom_coughlin_explains_d.html)

Excerpt: "Tom Coughlin rattled the statistic off with conviction. The Giants are 46-9, good for an .840 winning percentage, during his tenure when they win the turnover battle, Coughlin highlighted. So when rookie running back David Wilson lost a fumble on his second career carry to terminate a promising drive in Cowboys' territory last night, Coughlin made a resolute decision: he kept his backup running back off the field.

"It's more, 'Let the veteran play and let's hope we don't have another occasion to shoot ourselves in the foot,'" Coughlin said today to reporters, a day after his Giants' tied the Cowboys in the turnover tally but lost 24-17." Read more...

NYG4lifeNYK
09-06-2012, 08:34 PM
It's simple.

The game was close and he didn't want to lose another vital posession.

I wish he had put him back out there as well but I understood the decision completely.

EnragedYouth85
09-06-2012, 08:35 PM
You, HakeemCruz are a total tool..

appodictic
09-06-2012, 09:02 PM
Lets face it wilson was literally in tears. He is no good to anyone unless he has a level head. Untill he got less emotional he could not be out there.

Moke
09-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Understood the situation. The offensive-line sucks no matter what anyway. I am actually surprised that Bradshaw got those yards.

In a game like that, you expect Wilson to get benched immediately for that.

NorwoodBlue
09-06-2012, 09:34 PM
I fail to see the logic in this; it was the first game of the season, and the team wasn't losing at the time. My school of thought is that you chew his butt, then get him back out there and give him the ball again right away. Now the kid's going to be so worried about fumbling he won't run hard for a long time. I just don't think benching him accomplishes anything. If you start benching people for making mistakes, there's not going to be anyone left on the field. Kind of hard to justify benching a running back for a fumble but not benching WR for drops, or running the wrong route, or CB for blowing coverage. The last thing this team needs right now is a tentative running back running behind this line.

sharick88
09-06-2012, 09:35 PM
I still disagree with it though.

sharick88
09-06-2012, 09:36 PM
I fail to see the logic in this; it was the first game of the season, and the team wasn't losing at the time. My school of thought is that you chew his butt, then get him back out there and give him the ball again right away. Now the kid's going to be so worried about fumbling he won't run hard for a long time. I just don't think benching him accomplishes anything. If you start benching people for making mistakes, there's not going to be anyone left on the field. Kind of hard to justify benching a running back for a fumble but not benching WR for drops, or running the wrong route, or CB for blowing coverage. The last thing this team needs right now is a tentative running back running behind this line.
Agree with this 100%. He didn't get a chance at redemption.

BigBlueAllDay
09-06-2012, 09:43 PM
Lets face it wilson was literally in tears. He is no good to anyone unless he has a level head. Untill he got less emotional he could not be out there.

This is exactly what happened on the sidelines during the game coverage, while Coughlin was scolding him and other players were trying to console him. +1 No NFL coach is going to send an emotional train wreck back onto the field. The first round pick needs to toughen up.

Mod_C
09-06-2012, 10:01 PM

He's gone now...

Mod_C
09-06-2012, 10:02 PM
This is exactly what happened on the sidelines during the game coverage, while Coughlin was scolding him and other players were trying to console him. +1 No NFL coach is going to send an emotional train wreck back onto the field. The first round pick needs to toughen up.

Do we know he was being "scolded" by TC?

Flip Empty
09-06-2012, 10:09 PM
Coughlin is Coughlin. I was surprised to see Wilson return at all.

offingmoot
09-06-2012, 10:19 PM

I need help on this reply
Who are you referring to?
I dont see a post from that screen name
Not the first time i see a reply to a post i dont see
I dont have any users blocked

BigBlueAllDay
09-06-2012, 10:43 PM
Do we know he was being "scolded" by TC?

Coughlin didn't have a good facial expression while talking to him (probably telling him to get it together) as Wilson started to cry, which was definite in game coverage (the crying part as least). As to what Coughlin actually told him, it'll have to come from the in-game sound or Coughlin himself.

Also based from the words from Coughlin in the thread article, he obviously wasn't too happy about the fumble during the situation even though it was the first regular season mistake for the rookie RB. "Everybody wants to say, 'Well you didn't play him then, after that you didn't play him,'" Coughlin said. "Well, we're playing the opening game of the year. It's a divisional game. We had just driven the ball. We're going to be a little reluctant, okay? This is not the preseason, you know? Let's go for stage two here." "-Thread Article

This is nothing new. Last season, after making plays when called upon during the season, Da'Rel Scott fumbled and gave a turnover to the Saints and we never saw him again for rest of the season. Let me be clear, this won't be the situation with David Wilson. I just think Coughlin really really hates turnover fumbles.

Flip Empty
09-06-2012, 10:43 PM
I need help on this reply
Who are you referring to?
I dont see a post from that screen name
Not the first time i see a reply to a post i dont see
I dont have any users blocked
Obviously it was deleted by a moderator.

RoanokeFan
09-06-2012, 10:59 PM
Coughlin didn't have a good facial expression while talking to him (probably telling him to get it together) as Wilson started to cry, which was definite in game coverage (the crying part as least). As to what Coughlin actually told him, it'll have to come from the in-game sound or Coughlin himself.

Also based from the words from Coughlin in the thread article, he obviously wasn't too happy about the fumble during the situation even though it was the first regular season mistake for the rookie RB. "Everybody wants to say, 'Well you didn't play him then, after that you didn't play him,'" Coughlin said. "Well, we're playing the opening game of the year. It's a divisional game. We had just driven the ball. We're going to be a little reluctant, okay? This is not the preseason, you know? Let's go for stage two here." "-Thread Article

This is nothing new. Last season, after making plays when called upon during the season, Da'Rel Scott fumbled and gave a turnover to the Saints and we never saw him again for rest of the season. Let me be clear, this won't be the situation with David Wilson. I just think Coughlin really really hates turnover fumbles.

There's no thinking about TC's thoughts on fumbles. They are unacceptable, as it should be.

CDN_G-FAN
09-06-2012, 11:44 PM
if Jim Harbaugh coached like Coughlin does in the NFCC, we probably lose that game.

Kyle Williams dove for a fair catch punt in the first half, had one bounce off of him for a fumble in the second, and got stripped in OT.

i can see both sides of the coin, but we're only a game into defending our 2nd championship under this coach and we're still trying to tell him there's a better way to win football games.

Anyone else seen the irony in that?

RoanokeFan
09-06-2012, 11:46 PM
if Jim Harbaugh coached like Coughlin does in the NFCC, we probably lose that game.

Kyle Williams dove for a fair catch punt in the first half, had one bounce off of him for a fumble in the second, and got stripped in OT.

i can see both sides of the coin, but we're only a game into defending our 2nd championship under this coach and we're still trying to tell him there's a better way to win football games.

I would have thought it would take a few more games lol

Gimaniac
09-06-2012, 11:57 PM

Moreover, Coughlin switched from Blackmon to Ross on Punt Returns when Blackmon muffed one or missignaled a fair catch(I forgot the miscue).

TC made the adjustment and Harbaugh did not. Game, set, match.

GCGiant
09-07-2012, 08:10 AM
TC tore into him...the kid started crying...TC was probably like..."Uh-oh...did we check this kid out enough?"

ToneZak
09-07-2012, 11:10 AM
I agree with Toms decision. Nothing motivates like the bench.

ImElectric2
09-07-2012, 01:15 PM
I agree with Toms decision. Nothing motivates like the bench.Just ask Aaron Ross...

Easy E.
09-07-2012, 02:04 PM
I agree with Toms decision. Nothing motivates like the bench.

Agreed.

Coughlin knows what he is doing. That's why he's the head coach and none of us are