PDA

View Full Version : The Oline Lacks a Leader. Big problem IMO

GameTime
09-07-2012, 10:51 AM
These guys are all NFL players and should be performing way better individually and as a unit. In listening to Shaun O'Hara's retirement speech the other day he kept mentioning chemistry, bonds, comradery, and the oline as a unit. He was the leader and Seubert was the glue and inspiration. I don't think the Giants have that right now. Snee is not a leader in the true sense of the word IMO and Deihl, while a long timer and great teamate doesn't seem like the leader either. The Oline needs to "get together". The need to bond and Baas has to step up and be the vocal leader. He is the center and makes the calls. They are lacking in unity.
I am of the belief that what separates the really good NFL players from the so so players lies more with desire and drive then it does with talent. The Oline needs drive, desire, and leadership. Right now its seems they have none of that.

Just my 2cents

Diamondring
09-07-2012, 10:57 AM
What you are talking about your two cents? You make a lot of sense.

Harooni
09-07-2012, 10:59 AM
not really ,need better talent, these late rounders not doing it and snee is on the decline of his great career.

Diamondring
09-07-2012, 11:19 AM
not really ,need better talent, these late rounders not doing it and snee is on the decline of his great career.That is true to but we still have to wait and see. I think if we get that leader, he can direct the offense better so the protection can be there.

giantsfan420
09-07-2012, 11:25 AM
eh, I'd say DD is a leader. but the best way to lead is by example. kinda tough to pick a leader in that regard...I think we need to mix things up. We cant go outside the org if theres no viable options, so these guys know their jobs are safe and thats a serius issue imho. Move Lockler to RT when Beatty returns to LT. Those should be the only 2 who have their positions solidified.
the interior, have DD try out at LG, have boothe try out at C, have Baas try LG...form the best interior from there. Baas was a G at SF, maybe he isnt a complete waste there. Boothe did do well at C in terms of the blocking, he did have an issue or two with the snapping, but I'd trade off on that if we got push on run plays.
thats the one thing i'm hanging my hat on, that beatty aint back yet, and the OL could look and perform much differently when he does get back...hopefully

moosedrool
09-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Reese ignored the OL in free agency and the first three rounds. Then he spent big cap money on TT after two major knee injuries. He should have used that money towards a quality OT like Eric Winston (now in KC).

GMENAGAIN
09-07-2012, 11:52 AM
Reese ignored the OL in free agency and the first three rounds. Then he spent big cap money on TT after two major knee injuries. He should have used that money towards a quality OT like Eric Winston (now in KC).

How much of TT's salary counted against the cap this year?

GMENAGAIN
09-07-2012, 11:53 AM
These guys are all NFL players and should be performing way better individually and as a unit. In listening to Shaun O'Hara's retirement speech the other day he kept mentioning chemistry, bonds, comradery, and the oline as a unit. He was the leader and Seubert was the glue and inspiration. I don't think the Giants have that right now. Snee is not a leader in the true sense of the word IMO and Deihl, while a long timer and great teamate doesn't seem like the leader either. The Oline needs to "get together". The need to bond and Baas has to step up and be the vocal leader. He is the center and makes the calls. They are lacking in unity.
I am of the belief that what separates the really good NFL players from the so so players lies more with desire and drive then it does with talent. The Oline needs drive, desire, and leadership. Right now its seems they have none of that.

Just my 2cents

Non of us on this MB have any idea about the leadership dynamics on the OL. You are just assuming that there is a lack of leadership because the play has not been good.

GameTime
09-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Non of us on this MB have any idea about the leadership dynamics on the OL. You are just assuming that there is a lack of leadership because the play has not been good.
You are right....Thats why I specifically said "IMO"......It is my opinion just like we all have.

GameTime
09-07-2012, 12:13 PM
eh, I'd say DD is a leader. but the best way to lead is by example. kinda tough to pick a leader in that regard...I think we need to mix things up. We cant go outside the org if theres no viable options, so these guys know their jobs are safe and thats a serius issue imho. Move Lockler to RT when Beatty returns to LT. Those should be the only 2 who have their positions solidified.
the interior, have DD try out at LG, have boothe try out at C, have Baas try LG...form the best interior from there. Baas was a G at SF, maybe he isnt a complete waste there. Boothe did do well at C in terms of the blocking, he did have an issue or two with the snapping, but I'd trade off on that if we got push on run plays.
thats the one thing i'm hanging my hat on, that beatty aint back yet, and the OL could look and perform much differently when he does get back...hopefully
not saying that leadersip is the ultimate fix but nohwere else on the team is cohesiveness and chemistry so important. Deihl is a vet who seems but I still think that no one has stepped into the type of role that O'Hara had. Just specualation on my part.

CowboysSuck
09-07-2012, 12:16 PM

Just my 2cents

Fail...you failed. Snee (maybe Diehl) are the obvious Giants Oline vets. Snee playing well and it showing in film study is leadership. Lead by example.

CowboysSuck
09-07-2012, 12:18 PM
If this was a class in Organic Chemistry, then yes, bonding would be of great importance. But I dont think that is the reason we lost/the Oline had a lackluster performance.

GameTime
09-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Fail...you failed. Snee (maybe Diehl) are the obvious Giants Oline vets. Snee playing well and it showing in film study is leadership. Lead by example.
why do have to say I "failed" you have no idea a what goes on with leadership on the team. I dont either but I am just speculating. Just because Snee and Dheil are vets doesnt mean squat in terms of leadership. There is a lot more to the oline then leading by example......

GameTime
09-07-2012, 12:19 PM
If this was a class in Organic Chemistry, then yes, bonding would be of great importance. But I dont think that is the reason we lost/the Oline had a lackluster performance.
go listen to O'Hara....he disagress with you.....and I am not talking about organic chem 101....

moosedrool
09-07-2012, 12:21 PM
I don't think it's about lack of leadership. It's about lack of talent.

CowboysSuck
09-07-2012, 12:22 PM
go listen to O'Hara....he disagress with you.....and I am not talking about organic chem 101....

Yeah I guess you have a valid point. I just don't see a solution to it. a trip to Disney? Dinner? 5 man elephant walk?

Eliscruzzz
09-07-2012, 12:23 PM
I think David to me is a leader but we don't see it cause he's playing like sh**.We should just throw Bennet at LT.

CowboysSuck
09-07-2012, 12:23 PM

Thank you.

And the fact that on nearly every running play the cowboys had at least 7 guys in the box. They never took a step backwards to honor the PA and were always quick to the point of attack. Maybe we need to disguise a little better? Have more early success in the passing game? New audibles? Idk, but it seemed like Dallas knew our every move IMO

GameTime
09-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Yeah I guess you have a valid point. I just don't see a solution to it. a trip to Disney? Dinner? 5 man elephant walk?
all of the above...lol
I could be 100% wrong I just dont think these guys are as bad talent wise as they are playing. It just has been said over and over for years the the online needs to work as a unit. I just dont see them working together. You see missed assigments and players coming up with air instead of a defender.
Part of that chemistry is knowing the other guy will do his job. Kind of like the what the defense said mid last season. I thnk it was Rolle who said we all have to start trusting each other to our own jobs within the scheme. Maybe the oline has a similar situation and I think a leader would help that.

GameTime
09-07-2012, 12:28 PM
that very well could be......absolutley

Kruunch
09-07-2012, 12:54 PM

Just my 2cents

I agree.

I just don't think Baas is the guy.

GameTime
09-07-2012, 01:02 PM
I agree.

I just don't think Baas is the guy.
Yeah...I only threw his name out there cause he is the center.

Diamondring
09-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Thank you.

And the fact that on nearly every running play the cowboys had at least 7 guys in the box. They never took a step backwards to honor the PA and were always quick to the point of attack. Maybe we need to disguise a little better? Have more early success in the passing game? New audibles? Idk, but it seemed like Dallas knew our every move IMOI agree that talent is needed but don't forget that other teams have their talent as well.

Buddy333
09-07-2012, 01:56 PM
I think they lack the ability. They need more than a pep talk. They need to be rebuilt. They where not a good unit last year and they might be worse this year. Time to rebuild.

GameTime
09-07-2012, 02:03 PM
I think they lack the ability. They need more than a pep talk. They need to be rebuilt. They where not a good unit last year and they might be worse this year. Time to rebuild.
Yeah....I guess I am just hoping that they can work with what they have and that maybe its not a talent thing. But it very well could be they just are not that good.
Also being and having a leader is WAY more than just giving pep talks. Especially for an oline group....

BlueSanta
09-07-2012, 02:22 PM
leadership is nice, it helps guys who dont know what to do on certain plays when a center calls out protections or helps a young guy understand calls...etc.

But when guys are just flat out missing 1v1 blocks, it isnt a leadership issue, it is a talent issue.

BigBlue1971
09-07-2012, 04:56 PM
it seems like none of these guys are leadership material! i mean someone shouldve stepped forward last year. these are the same bunch of guys except for Locklear.

i agree someone is needed and Baas seems like the most logical if Diehl doesnt step up!

rainierjef
09-07-2012, 05:21 PM
not really ,need better talent, these late rounders not doing it and snee is on the decline of his great career.

this......

NYG4lifeNYK
09-07-2012, 06:57 PM
O'Hara and Richie were our leaders.... I wish Snee would of taken on that role but he doesn't seen like he has the personality for that.

GameTime
09-07-2012, 07:08 PM
O'Hara and Richie were our leaders.... I wish Snee would of taken on that role but he doesn't seen like he has the personality for that.
Yeah...
I totaly get the talent issue and all that goes with that but I think that "fire" and "balls" can make up for it. These guys just dont seem to have the fire which would give them the drive to kick some ***. All these guys needs a slap to the back of the head to wake up!!!!!!......lol

Laurah1275
09-07-2012, 07:24 PM

Just my 2centsVery nicely put and I totally agree...Ok, what the hell I'll step up and take the job :)

TheEnigma
09-07-2012, 07:24 PM
Call me a pessimist or whatever you wish but after watching that video of the offensive line run blocking, I was absolutely appalled at how many individual blocks they missed or how easy they were beat at the point of attack. The scary thing is that other than Ratliff, no one on the Dallas Dline is really all that great. Imagine what happens when we have to deal with the Eagles, Ravens, Bengals, and so forth.

Baas only shows up for a few games, Boothe should be a quality depth guy and not a starter, Locklear is OK, Snee is entering the twilight years, and don't even get me started on Diehl. All of these guys are past their prime and not one of them stands out as a leader like O'Hara was. The next true leader of this offensive line isn't on the team yet because we still have to draft him.

GameTime
09-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Call me a pessimist or whatever you wish but after watching that video of the offensive line run blocking, I was absolutely appalled at how many individual blocks they missed or how easy they were beat at the point of attack. The scary thing is that other than Ratliff, no one on the Dallas Dline is really all that great. Imagine what happens when we have to deal with the Eagles, Ravens, Bengals, and so forth.

Baas only shows up for a few games, Boothe should be a quality depth guy and not a starter, Locklear is OK, Snee is entering the twilight years, and don't even get me started on Diehl. All of these guys are past their prime and not one of them stands out as a leader like O'Hara was. The next true leader of this offensive line isn't on the team yet because we still have to draft him.
thats the part of my hypothesis I left out.....I am afraid you may be correct.....

giantsfan420
09-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Yeah...
I totaly get the talent issue and all that goes with that but I think that "fire" and "balls" can make up for it. These guys just dont seem to have the fire which would give them the drive to kick some ***. All these guys needs a slap to the back of the head to wake up!!!!!!......lol

job security is why i think its slid this long. they know they aint losing their job...to who? Cordle? Lockler was the only guy fighting imo and he is fighting for a job. Beatty at LT, Lockler at RT culd help out a lot. then have an open audition for the interior. Let Baas try G bc he aint cutting it at C...eh Im overreacting I know. Maybe Beatty returning will help. Maybe DD could go to LG and Boothe can be backup C and G...I dunno. Just need to at least protect Eli...3 sacks and like a dozen pressures...ugh. that on top of being completely useless in the run game.

GameTime
09-07-2012, 09:16 PM
job security is why i think its slid this long. they know they aint losing their job...to who? Cordle? Lockler was the only guy fighting imo and he is fighting for a job. Beatty at LT, Lockler at RT culd help out a lot. then have an open audition for the interior. Let Baas try G bc he aint cutting it at C...eh Im overreacting I know. Maybe Beatty returning will help. Maybe DD could go to LG and Boothe can be backup C and G...I dunno. Just need to at least protect Eli...3 sacks and like a dozen pressures...ugh. that on top of being completely useless in the run game.
thats what I mean.....can they be THAT bad?? Thats why I guess I am latching on to something they can maybe fix this season..........who knows. Just hoping.....

Captain Chaos
09-07-2012, 09:29 PM
We need some upgrades that is for sure, lets hope that Beatty and Brewer coming back can do something to help things along.

rainierjef
09-07-2012, 09:41 PM

personally i do not consider Baas a center, i think hes better at guard, what you think about a swtich boothe center baas guard

GameTime
09-07-2012, 09:44 PM
personally i do not consider Baas a center, i think hes better at guard, what you think about a swtich boothe center baas guard

guess it couldnt really hurt.....

TheEnigma
09-07-2012, 09:48 PM

The only issue I have with that move is that Baas is a better snapper than Boothe. I do recall some really bad snaps from him but yes, I think once the snap is over, he gives us a better chance to make holes in the run game. Even if we did do that, I still feel that this will still be a bottom 5 Oline.

Kase-1
09-07-2012, 10:45 PM
I want 1, if not ALL of our O-Linemen to have the fire and intensity that Brandon Jacobs had....I want bullies, I want GOONS!!!!

bearbryant
09-07-2012, 11:25 PM
Right now I'd be pleased w/ any two of the old " dancing elephants"; anyone remember that moniker that was given to the O line a ways back? Guys like Elliott, Riesenberg, Moore, Roberts, Kratch and there were more who drove holes for OJ and Joe Morris. This O line showed no desire, passion, drive, ability or technique. Every offensive play either they never took a D man out or they wound up standing around watching a guy with a star on his hat make the tackle. This will continue unless the talent changes. Maybe you don't agree but for my dough- DD gets a ticket home, Baas, tell him to get ugly or go.His contract is stupid. Boothe should be on the PS maybe a 2-3 if really in need. Snee needs to play like an All-Pro, Locklear is OK for an"Older" lineman. Right now our best O lineman is our TE: Bennett. After getting fooled by Ware the first time, he went face to face with him, did a good job for the most part. Granted a big part of the problem on Wednesday was our guys weren't instructed to get physical w/ Dallas. The refs were letting everyone fight it out but we didn't take advantage of that. Watching the replay I was amazed at just how " hands off" the zebras were. I like that, thats good against a "new" Oline like Dallas was but I waited for a coach to tell these guys to start beating on their man. It never happened!! Who the hell is in charge down there- the waterboy!
The only way we get points is either new linemen or give kildrive a new brain- one that has him realize that this team cannot power drive the ball in for the TD just because they're on the 2 yard line. 2012 is going to be interesting; not even mentioning our secondary! Go Giants!

GameTime
09-08-2012, 08:18 AM
This O line showed no desire, passion, drive, ability or technique. Every offensive play either they never took a D man out or they wound up standing around watching a guy with a star on his hat make the tackle.

^^^ this. Thats why I think they lack leadership........
I dont think its talent or technique. If they were that bad they wouldn't be NFL players.

jomo
09-08-2012, 08:47 AM
What the OL really lacks is talent except for Snee.

BlueBlitzer
09-08-2012, 09:43 AM
We would be having this conversation even if the Giants had won the game. I believe Beatty comming back to LT and Locklear moving back to His normal pos. at RT, changes things up. ( For the better ). Lets not forget, this was Dallas's SB. We knocked em out of the playoffs, and took the Hardware. That must have been one long slow burn up their butts this off season. They had to play the game of their lives, or else the Media and Fans would have eaten them alive. ( And they still beat us by only 7 points.)

GameTime
09-08-2012, 10:00 AM
We would be having this conversation even if the Giants had won the game. I believe Beatty comming back to LT and Locklear moving back to His normal pos. at RT, changes things up. ( For the better ). Lets not forget, this was Dallas's SB. We knocked em out of the playoffs, and took the Hardware. That must have been one long slow burn up their butts this off season. They had to play the game of their lives, or else the Media and Fans would have eaten them alive. ( And they still beat us by only 7 points.)
nah...the oline still blows. It did last year to for the run game. Yeah I know they won the SB...I get it .Doesnt mean you cant improve the team. The last 7 the Giants scored the Cowboys were in prevent type D to let them move and eat up the clock. The game was not as close as it seemed. IMO
Just hoping the Oline unit can pull somehting decent together. Not asking them to all be probowlers. Just want a decent unit.

Diamondring
09-08-2012, 10:04 AM
nah...the oline still blows. It did last year to for the run game. Yeah I know they won the SB...I get it .Doesnt mean you cant improve the team. The last 7 the Giants scored the Cowboys were in prevent type D to let them move and eat up the clock. The game was not as close as it seemed. IMO
Just hoping the Oline unit can pull somehting decent together. Not asking them to all be probowlers. Just want a decent unit.Now what you have said about improving our team. This is the first time I have seen some other poster use this. When I was talking bad about our offense some time back, a lot of posters talked about our offense being top ten. Yet they never said anything about improving the offense to a top five wich the Giants could have when I made posts about our offense. I bet you were one ot those posters talking about we are top ten offense for many years without saying anything about improving the offense.

slipknottin
09-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Blaming everything on leadership whenever people play crappy is such a nonsense thing.

They have pretty much the same players as last year. Was leadership the problem when they won the SB?

Being awful players has a lot more to do with it than a lack of leadership

jomo
09-08-2012, 10:29 AM
We would be having this conversation even if the Giants had won the game. I believe Beatty comming back to LT and Locklear moving back to His normal pos. at RT, changes things up. ( For the better ). Lets not forget, this was Dallas's SB. We knocked em out of the playoffs, and took the Hardware. That must have been one long slow burn up their butts this off season. They had to play the game of their lives, or else the Media and Fans would have eaten them alive. ( And they still beat us by only 7 points.)This is all true but remember Beatty has no real track record. At his best of waht we have seen so far, he is only a bit better than Locklear and Locklear is only a bit better than Diehl. We are going to have to get this done with mirrors as we did last year and that is not a comforting thought. I'd much rather get it done on sheer talent.

Redeyejedi
09-08-2012, 10:44 AM
not really ,need better talent, these late rounders not doing it and snee is on the decline of his great career.They have guys with NFL measurables that just arent polished players and may never be. They keep drafting projects instead of FB players this is what u get when they dont pan out.

Redeyejedi
09-08-2012, 10:46 AM
not really ,need better talent, these late rounders not doing it and snee is on the decline of his great career.I cant believe what has happend to Snee. He is 30 thats not old by Oline standards

GameTime
09-08-2012, 11:18 AM
Now what you have said about improving our team. This is the first time I have seen some other poster use this. When I was talking bad about our offense some time back, a lot of posters talked about our offense being top ten. Yet they never said anything about improving the offense to a top five wich the Giants could have when I made posts about our offense. I bet you were one ot those posters talking about we are top ten offense for many years without saying anything about improving the offense.

I bet you are wrong and why would you even suspect I would not want the Giants to improve!! Cant imagine YOU are the only one who wants the Giants to improve. I BET you are wrong about that.......
pretty lame retort on your part

Blaming everything on leadership whenever people play crappy is such a nonsense thing.

They have pretty much the same players as last year. Was leadership the problem when they won the SB?

Being awful players has a lot more to do with it than a lack of leadership

Hey....I am not "blaming everything" at all. I am just looking for a reason other then just saying the majority of the oline guys suck.
Yeah the oline stunk last year for the most part too SB or not......

SackingMyths
09-08-2012, 12:05 PM
I think leadership and cohesiveness would help to some degree...But overall I agree with the countless posters who say that it's a lack of talent.

We somehow managed to downgrade from McKenzie's horrendous showing last year. Diehl rates out as one of the worst lineman every game for the past 2 years, regardless of where he's moved. (Not that anyone needs one of these football stat sites to confirm what their eyes see.) His next move needs to be to a tv studio. Him being a starter is indicative of the real problem--we don't have anyone better because our Oline draft picks haven't stayed healthy or developed quickly enough.

Oh, and we were all told that Baas toughed it out last year and just didn't have a chance to adjust to his fellow interior lineman. So I listened, and cut the guy some slack. But let's be real--the best he can do is hold guys to a standstill and whiff on blocks out in space. He's nowhere near worth his salary. I dare say that the guy blows. And pointing out the handful of times he doesn't completely fail doesn't make him good.

Boothe is a solid backup who can sometimes look better than such because he's playing beside utter incompetence. It's like the "7" you see in the bar that looks kinda doable because her friends are all 3s and 5s.

Locklear/Beatty probably will be okay over the course of the season. Emphasis on "okay."

And lastly it pains me to say, but Snee declined sharply last year...and hasn't looked much better this year. Still, he's the only guy I have any real confidence in.

I feel bad for Eli, bad for AB, and maybe we can agree that BJ wasn't entirely at fault for "tip-toeing"...these guys can't run block.

Sorry for the long post. It's just that THIS (the O-Line) will make or break our season. The D will be up and down, as usual. The O-Line needs to keep Eli upright and MOVE SOMEONE--ANYONE--OFF THE BALL in the run game.

NYKiller
09-08-2012, 12:20 PM
Ok, I'm finally looking at the replay. I'm in the first quarter and I couldn't help to say I don't want to see David Diehl playing Tackle ever again. If pass rushers are not flying pass him, they are backing him up into Eli. I don't care who your name is; If you can't do the job then it's time to see what the backup can do. Giants fans like myself saw these problems before the season start. I don't understand why the giants keep sending players out there on the O-line who are never able to get the job done consistently. Especially against good pass rushers.

GameTime
09-08-2012, 12:39 PM
I think leadership and cohesiveness would help to some degree...But overall I agree with the countless posters who say that it's a lack of talent.

Boothe is a solid backup who can sometimes look better than such because he's playing beside utter incompetence. It's like the "7" you see in the bar that looks kinda doable because her friends are all 3s and 5s.

Locklear/Beatty probably will be okay over the course of the season. Emphasis on "okay."

And lastly it pains me to say, but Snee declined sharply last year...and hasn't looked much better this year. Still, he's the only guy I have any real confidence in.

I feel bad for Eli, bad for AB, and maybe we can agree that BJ wasn't entirely at fault for "tip-toeing"...these guys can't run block.

Sorry for the long post. It's just that THIS (the O-Line) will make or break our season. The D will be up and down, as usual. The O-Line needs to keep Eli upright and MOVE SOMEONE--ANYONE--OFF THE BALL in the run game.

Funny line.....Boothe does have "backyard" though.....:)

SackingMyths
09-08-2012, 02:02 PM
Funny line.....Boothe does have "backyard" though.....:)

That he does. We'd probably have bigger rushing lanes if he ran through the line backward.

GameTime
09-08-2012, 03:48 PM
That he does. We'd probably have bigger rushing lanes if he ran through the line backward.

could be a new scheme......

joemorrisforprez
09-08-2012, 04:54 PM
This unit has never been the same since Seubert and O'Hara were cut.

And I'm sorry, but I'm done expecting anything out of David Baas.

BillTheGreek
09-09-2012, 01:52 AM
OK Guys, I know we are all Frustrated, It was our first game of the season.
One Guy says it's the OL, another guy says it's Running game, Another guy says
it's Lack of Talent, You know what, It's a little of every thing, and a lot of
one thing ! Also I know the Giant Management, Players & Coaches Look at
these Posts and They know they have a problem, ( In fact they don't have to
look at these Post to know they have problems ) What ever it is ? FIX it ! The
GIANTS have to GEL and play as a Team, as they did, in end of the season last
year. Then there is no STOPPING THEM ! And then everyones Wish will come True.

GO GIANTS !