PDA

View Full Version : 21/32 213 Yards 1 TD

Antwuan
09-08-2012, 03:13 AM
What Are Your Thoughts On Eli Manning's Week 1 Performance vs Cowboys?

BurnerNYG
09-08-2012, 03:15 AM
It was alright. He should've threw it 20 more times.

lawrenceS59
09-08-2012, 03:18 AM
Eli's performance was fine. His numbers would have been better if Mr Cruz decided to catch those 3 gimme passes that he dropped. 2 of them would have prolonged drives. Also consider he didn't have much time to throw.....their D-Line lived in our backfield. He was about what you'd expect given the circumstances.

Captain Chaos
09-08-2012, 04:27 AM
The O line didn't give him time, the run didn't put him in good second down position and there were too many drops. They clean a few of these things up and he will look a ton better.

BuffyBlueII
09-08-2012, 04:41 AM
All in all Eli Manning had a good performance. He did miss on the throw that would have been a sure TD but he was fine. Even with the 6 drops his rating was 95.4 which really doesn’t mean anything because we lot.

Eli Manning made some nice decisions and I think we will see a further evolution to Eli Manning’s game this year and he will be even better than he was last year.

I bELIeve.

giantsfan420
09-08-2012, 04:44 AM
i think eli looked like he was playing at a level similar to the postseason run.

he played as well as a qb could play without getting help from the rest of the O. No run game, poor pass protection, and drops...and he still had us in it with a shot at OT. Im telling u guys, eli is gonna have an mvp like season.

lawrenceS59
09-08-2012, 04:47 AM
i think eli looked like he was playing at a level similar to the postseason run.

he played as well as a qb could play without getting help from the rest of the O. No run game, poor pass protection, and drops...and he still had us in it with a shot at OT. Im telling u guys, eli is gonna have an mvp like season.

Not if that O-Line doesn't protect his @ss. We got the Steelers, Ravens, San Fran, and every other pass rush happy team in the league on our schedule. They gotta get better NOW.

BuffyBlueII
09-08-2012, 05:00 AM
Not if that O-Line doesn't protect his @ss. We got the Steelers, Ravens, San Fran, and every other pass rush happy team in the league on our schedule. They gotta get better NOW.

Wow I just expressed my concern about facing those teams with our O line just a couple minutes ago. Our O line needs to get better and needs to do so like right now. Every team will be coming after SuperBowl Champions and Eli Manning is a big target. He is toughest QB in NFL but damn it we need to protect him. We don’t want defenses teeing off on him. He is our franchise and I find it so hard to fathom that we did nothing in the off season to refortify our offensive line. It is unreal.

I bELIeve.

lawrenceS59
09-08-2012, 05:06 AM
I would have loved to be a fly on the wall in that offensive line film session.

drewz
09-08-2012, 05:37 AM
A-

He did all he could with no support from the run game or oline.

Manning
09-08-2012, 10:44 AM
Regarding his performance, I'm happy we saw zero turnovers. Our playoff runs and wins were due in part to Eli's lack of turnovers. One pick in each SB playoff run I believe, which is over the span of 4 games. Regular season Eli usually averages at least one pick a game. If he can average less than that, it will be a huge help.

brad
09-08-2012, 11:28 AM
I think Eli played fairly well, not great, but well. Considering that the running game and O-line were horrible, I would say he played as good as anyone could expect. However, the offense as a whole was not very good at all, especially in the first half. Unfortunately, even when they started moving the ball, they weren't playing as well as Dallas was, which is why I say he played "fairly well".

BeatYale
09-08-2012, 01:33 PM
Izbo1 is that you? Been a while since I've seen one of these rate Eli's performance threads.

There's nothing Eli can do about those dropped passes. In football a single play, good or bad, can have a big effect on the outcome of the game.

Toadofsteel
09-08-2012, 02:11 PM
Eli did as great as he could given the nature of support he got from the offense. Had Cruz not dropped those 3 easy passes, Eli would be 24/32 (75% comp) for over 300 yards. The fact that he did not throw a single pick (or near-pick for that matter) despite having jack **** for an o-line is even more amazing.

Also, had Killdrive not wasted 1st and 2nd down all night with runs for no gain, Eli would have converted a lot more. We have an elite QB, why are we limiting pass attempts to 32? Why not 45-50?

titwio
09-08-2012, 02:15 PM
I found it disturbing that the offense didn't score more than 3points until 5mins left the 3rd quarter. Not blaming Eli but the offensive continuity looks exactly the same as it did in the preseason with the first team offense....unproductive.

They need to be more aggressive through the air IMO.

Toadofsteel
09-08-2012, 02:23 PM
I found it disturbing that the offense didn't score more than 3points until 5mins left the 3rd quarter. Not blaming Eli but the offensive continuity looks exactly the same as it did in the preseason with the first team offense....unproductive.

They need to be more aggressive through the air IMO.

That's Killdrive's playcalling more than the talent that we have (Although Cruz dropping it 3 times sure didn't help). When your runs get stuffed for no gain, you're basically wasting downs (unless your goal is just to run out the clock). Also, throwing on 1st down means an incompletion need not necessarily result in a punt. The problem with KG is that he doesn't install an offense that is well-suited to the team; running the ball repeatedly when it's doing absolutely nothing to keep the defense honest is just plain unproductive. I don't know what he's trying to prove, but it's not working. When Eli is allowed to just wing it, we do much better (which explains all the 4th quarter comebacks last year).

The same problem applies to PF: He's very vanilla when it comes to applying pressure, and having 4 DE's last year that could all be #1's on other teams (at least if you count Kiwi) bailed him out, such that he didn't have to blitz to apply pressure to the QB and get sacks. When PF does blitz, it's so blatantly obvious that Tebow could read it and adjust the play to counter it. He's so focused on managing the back end of the defense when our defensive talent is all up front. Spags knew how to manage dealing with offensive protection and bring down the QB. At the very least PF understood that he had to use the personnel that he had, and was creative enough to develop packages like Nascar and the 3 safety set in order to do that. But he didn't utilize those sets to their full potential either...

TheBookOfEli
09-08-2012, 03:19 PM
He did miss a wide open Hixon for a TD but he still capitalized on that same drive to Bennet.

He played great. Cruz and his Oline hurt him, as well as the defense cause they couldn't get off the damn field.

brad
09-08-2012, 03:49 PM
He did miss a wide open Hixon for a TD but he still capitalized on that same drive to Bennet.

He played great. Cruz and his Oline hurt him, as well as the defense cause they couldn't get off the damn field.

LOL, offense wasn't exactly staying on the field most of the game... Eli played well, but to say it's everyone's fault except Eli is a bit of a stretch. Eli wasn't exactly lighting it up in the first half when the defense was playing very well. Blame it on playcalling, execution, whatever you want, but the offense set the tone of that game in the first half.

If we are going to claim Eli is "elite" and in the top 5 QBs in the league, we should be able to expect him to overcome dropped passes and pressure, that's what elite QBs do, they don't blame everyone else and say "I did great while everyone else sucked". Eli was OK, with average numbers boosted by 4th quarter heroics. Maybe we were watching different games, or you missed the first half, but Eli wasn't playing any better than anyone else.

YATittle1962
09-08-2012, 04:42 PM
It was alright. He should've threw it 20 more times.

the offense should have had many more snaps
the time of possession was far too lopsided
and 4 for 12 on 3rd down is 33%......not good enough

but

5.3 per offensive play
10.1 per completion
4.3 yards per carry

...are not bad stats at all

and I think Eli looked pretty good
who knows what his stats would look like if Cruz, Bennett, and Bradshaw didn't drop those passes

BurnerNYG
09-08-2012, 05:29 PM
the offense should have had many more snaps
the time of possession was far too lopsided
and 4 for 12 on 3rd down is 33%......not good enough

but

5.3 per offensive play
10.1 per completion
4.3 yards per carry

...are not bad stats at all

and I think Eli looked pretty good
who knows what his stats would look like if Cruz, Bennett, and Bradshaw didn't drop those passesYeah you're right... considering the drops he did have a good game. I don't blame it on him at all, it was the gameplan if anything. They tried to have a balanced attack but The Cowboys knew it and we kept playing right into their hands. I just thInk we beat ourselves by not unleashing Eli until it was too late.

That's the difference between him and Peyton... Peyton would've put the team on his back and told Gilbride what he was gonna do. Eli's a great QB but he's more of a company man than a man that's gonna run the company. Two time Superbowl MVP should've threw it 50 times if needed. The T.O.P. was cut short because we kept putting ourselves in 3rd down situations which ended up being a lot of 3 and outs. I still haven't watched the 1st half... don't think I want to.

Roosevelt
09-08-2012, 06:42 PM
What Are Your Thoughts On Eli Manning's Week 1 Performance vs Cowboys?

Eli didn't get a lot of help in that game.

The only knock I could see was him not taking advantage of that free down by taking a shot down field.

GMENAGAIN
09-08-2012, 06:46 PM
Yeah you're right... considering the drops he did have a good game. I don't blame it on him at all, it was the gameplan if anything. They tried to have a balanced attack but The Cowboys knew it and we kept playing right into their hands. I just thInk we beat ourselves by not unleashing Eli until it was too late.

That's the difference between him and Peyton... Peyton would've put the team on his back and told Gilbride what he was gonna do. Eli's a great QB but he's more of a company man than a man that's gonna run the company. Two time Superbowl MVP should've threw it 50 times if needed. The T.O.P. was cut short because we kept putting ourselves in 3rd down situations which ended up being a lot of 3 and outs. I still haven't watched the 1st half... don't think I want to.
lol that you are commenting on Eli's performance when you admittedly didn't even see half the game . . .

BurnerNYG
09-08-2012, 06:50 PM
lol that you are commenting on Eli's performance when you admittedly didn't even see half the game . . .I was listening to it in my truck and on my ride home.

RichGiants81
09-09-2012, 02:09 AM
[QUOTE=Antwuan;477452]What Are Your Thoughts On Eli Manning's Week 1 Performance vs Cowboys?[/QUOTE

Take away the five drops and the holding in the end zone and Eli is 27 of 32 for 300 yards and two TDs, he came to play

miked1958
09-09-2012, 11:30 AM
What Are Your Thoughts On Eli Manning's Week 1 Performance vs Cowboys?Actually should have been more like 25/32. He had at least 4 drops. 3 by just Cruz. I think Bennett dropped at least 1. So it may have been more then 4

miked1958
09-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Now Eli also could have improved his stats on his own. He missed a few wide open guys that could of been tds by under or overthrowing. The rest of his misses were balls he put in the seats because of no time from the OLine

brad
09-09-2012, 11:50 AM
I love the comments saying Eli would have been better if the receivers caught the ball on this play or that play... while technically true it ignores the fact that every QB in the league deals with receivers not catching the ball in every game they play. How many drops did Dallas have?

Eli played pretty well, and had some great passes that should have been caught, but the fact is that throughout the majority of that game he was playing just as poorly as the rest of the team. He wasn't great, he wasn't playing like Drew Brees, he was just OK, and only OK because of the 4th Q drives. The offense was horrendous through most of the game and that is just as much on Eli as it is anyone else on the team.

This is a team sport, where players rely on each other to do their jobs, the defense relies on the offense to stay on the field for more than three plays, and the offense relies on the defense to give them the ball back so they can take another shot at scoring. The defense did their job in the first half, the offense didn't. The offense finally started playing late in the game when the defense had all but packed up to go home. No one did their jobs against Dallas for all four quarters, not even Eli.

On a brighter note, they are better than that, they will win games and there is no need to panic.

penguinfarmer
09-09-2012, 12:36 PM
You're contradicting yourself by saying he played well, then saying that he was playing just as poorly for the majority of the game. At no point can you say Eli was playing poorly. The offense as a whole, sure. It's not even a matter of semantics or interpretation. He worked with what he could, and that's all we can ask for.

brad
09-09-2012, 12:49 PM
You're contradicting yourself by saying he played well, then saying that he was playing just as poorly for the majority of the game. At no point can you say Eli was playing poorly. The offense as a whole, sure. It's not even a matter of semantics or interpretation. He worked with what he could, and that's all we can ask for.

Actually, I said he played "OK", big difference. It is quite possible we were watching two different first halves, but the offense I saw in the first half was not exactly lighting it up. You can try telling me that Eli was playing like a HOF QB while the other 10 guys were playing horribly, but I don't see how it's possible for the QB to be playing great when everyone else isn't. He didn't elevate the teams play, and he didn't accomplish much until the 4th quarter, no one on the offense did.

I am not an Eli hater, nor do I worship him... it is my attempt at an unbiased view. I agree, he did as well as could be expected, but let's not pretend he was playing at a whole different level from everyone else. Fact is, he wasn't.

giantsfan420
09-09-2012, 12:59 PM
i thought eli looked excellent tbh. he was making the right reads and challenging dallas downfield without putting the ball in jeopardy. he looked, to me, like the qb during the post season run. its just he had absolutely no help and in many cases the run game actually hurt him. 2 run plays for -1 yd puts a whole lotta pressure on eli, and he still converted each one or put the ball on the receiver to convert it and he dropped it. he missed that one throw to hixon, and that was bc hixons route and that play wasnt something they really practiced. hixon and the corner got tangled up or something and hixon was able to get behind him. he barely missed that throw too, that would be the 1 throw id say he missed.
the DW fumble, Cruz drops on 3rd downs, Bennett with a drop on 3rd down. the run game being atrocious. the OL was atrocious. the d in the 2nd half was atrocious, and still we had a legit shot to tie it late...why do u think that was? id say bc eli played well. he just looked in command and dallas presented a unique challenge bc with their new additions, they were virtually a new look d. he handled himself excellently in that regard too, challenging MC and Carr but never jeopardizing the pass. if and when these two teams meet weeks from now, the offense will be way more in sync and i believe we go on a long win streak now that the loss woke them up.

penguinfarmer
09-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Actually, I said he played "OK", big difference. It is quite possible we were watching two different first halves, but the offense I saw in the first half was not exactly lighting it up. You can try telling me that Eli was playing like a HOF QB while the other 10 guys were playing horribly, but I don't see how it's possible for the QB to be playing great when everyone else isn't. He didn't elevate the teams play, and he didn't accomplish much until the 4th quarter, no one on the offense did.

I am not an Eli hater, nor do I worship him... it is my attempt at an unbiased view. I agree, he did as well as could be expected, but let's not pretend he was playing at a whole different level from everyone else. Fact is, he wasn't.

Eli played pretty well, and had some great passes that should have been caught, but the fact is that throughout the majority of that game he was playing just as poorly as the rest of the team.

What is he supposed to do? Throw it 50 yards in the air, run down and catch it himself? Again, you can say the offense played poorly as a whole, but I don't see how you can put any stock into what Manning had no control of.

miked1958
09-09-2012, 01:44 PM
[QUOTE=Antwuan;477452]What Are Your Thoughts On Eli Manning's Week 1 Performance vs Cowboys?[/QUOTETake away the five drops and the holding in the end zone and Eli is 27 of 32 for 300 yards and two TDs, he came to playDidn't see your post.. Stats would have been even better then I said. TNT would have been a stellar day to say the least. However would it have been enough to score more then the 24 we gave up? I think so

brad
09-09-2012, 06:02 PM
What is he supposed to do? Throw it 50 yards in the air, run down and catch it himself? Again, you can say the offense played poorly as a whole, but I don't see how you can put any stock into what Manning had no control of.

Clearly we will just disagree, I understand, for some Eli can do no wrong. But for me, I expect an ELITE QB as many contend that he is, to play better, and I expect him to score at least once in the first half... maybe my expectations are just too high, I will try to lower them for you.

Rudyy
09-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Clearly we will just disagree, I understand, for some Eli can do no wrong. But for me, I expect an ELITE QB as many contend that he is, to play better, and I expect him to score at least once in the first half... maybe my expectations are just too high, I will try to lower them for you. I don't think that's fair given the state of the offensive line. He literally had no time to throw or make any decisions. He did what he could with the line he had.

brad
09-09-2012, 06:19 PM
I don't think that's fair given the state of the offensive line. He literally had no time to throw or make any decisions. He did what he could with the line he had.

Well, if that's how we look at it, this is going to one very long and painful season! Personally, I disagree, I think the line was bad but not really any worse than last year. I think the entire team, including Eli are better than they played on Wednesday and I think they will win some games. But, if some believe that was the best this team had... maybe we should all start thinking about next year.

Rudyy
09-09-2012, 06:28 PM
Well, if that's how we look at it, this is going to one very long and painful season! Personally, I disagree, I think the line was bad but not really any worse than last year. I think the entire team, including Eli are better than they played on Wednesday and I think they will win some games. But, if some believe that was the best this team had... maybe we should all start thinking about next year. Well I certainly hope that wasn't their best effort lol. Not saying Eli played lights out or anything, but he played solid. I do agree however, everybody as a whole needs to step up, and quickly.

SuperNYGiants
09-09-2012, 07:35 PM
Eli needs to play with urgency from the start of the game, not in 2nd half. I am now convinced that Eli's mellow personality is part of a reason why the offense seems so flat at times, mostly during the 1st half.

brad
09-09-2012, 07:41 PM
Eli needs to play with urgency from the start of the game, not in 2nd half. I am now convinced that Eli's mellow personality is part of a reason why the offense seems so flat at times, mostly during the 1st half.

I agree there needs to be more urgency in the first half... but that calm demeanor from Eli is also the reason for so many come from behind victories... good with the bad I guess. I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more up-tempo offense earlier in the game, does Eli ever hike the ball with more than 2 seconds on the play clock? Not sure if it is how long the offense takes to get set up or if it's because the play is taking too long to get to Eli... but that seems to go away in the fourth quarter.

giantsfan420
09-09-2012, 08:00 PM
I don't think that's fair given the state of the offensive line. He literally had no time to throw or make any decisions. He did what he could with the line he had.
no offense brad but ur stance here is weak. how many drives in the first half ended on 3rd down drops? the fumble by wilson in their side of the field. the goalline stand by our offensive line to make sure no TD was scored on those 2 rushes. than the missed 3rd down call (i have yet to see one person to the highlights not call that a penalty). I mean it wasnt like eli's play led to no td's in the 1rst...it was a complete lack of help, unless u literally want eli to catch the ball himself and start run blocking, i dunno. rest of the team at least has to do the bare minimum, the prob was we werent even getting THAT vs Dallas

brad
09-09-2012, 08:15 PM
no offense brad but ur stance here is weak. how many drives in the first half ended on 3rd down drops? the fumble by wilson in their side of the field. the goalline stand by our offensive line to make sure no TD was scored on those 2 rushes. than the missed 3rd down call (i have yet to see one person to the highlights not call that a penalty). I mean it wasnt like eli's play led to no td's in the 1rst...it was a complete lack of help, unless u literally want eli to catch the ball himself and start run blocking, i dunno. rest of the team at least has to do the bare minimum, the prob was we werent even getting THAT vs Dallas

If I was saying that the offensive problems were caused by Eli, then your rant might make sense, however that is not what I am saying. What I said was that everyone, including Eli can play better than what we saw. Yes, dropped passes, and fumbles contributed to the problem, as did the non-call on the pass interference and the fact that the O-line got no push all day. If your assertion is that what we saw Wednesday is the best Eli has to offer, I am sorry, I will have to respectfully disagree.

The_ One
09-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Thank God we have Eli, without him this team is LOST.

Drez
09-09-2012, 09:04 PM
If I was saying that the offensive problems were caused by Eli, then your rant might make sense, however that is not what I am saying. What I said was that everyone, including Eli can play better than what we saw. Yes, dropped passes, and fumbles contributed to the problem, as did the non-call on the pass interference and the fact that the O-line got no push all day. If your assertion is that what we saw Wednesday is the best Eli has to offer, I am sorry, I will have to respectfully disagree.

Did anyone ever say he played his best? No. However, he played very well. He missed on 2, maybe 3 throws, which isn't uncommon even for the most elite in the game.

brad
09-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Did anyone ever say he played his best? No. However, he played very well. He missed on 2, maybe 3 throws, which isn't uncommon even for the most elite in the game.

No, nor did I say he played horrible... but apparently, unless I say he was amazing I am wrong.

giantsfan420
09-09-2012, 09:51 PM
No, nor did I say he played horrible... but apparently, unless I say he was amazing I am wrong.
what? lol I love how u turned this around...u made this drawn out post about how u expected more from eli and how no elite qb fails to score a TD...and I merely pointed out that of his 31 passes, 28 or 29 of them were as good as u could want it...ur other point about the entire offense needing to do more is accurate, but ur points on eli I felt were inaccurate, which is what I responded too. i have no desire or need to hear u say eli is awesome. im just calling into question the specific post u made, which I quoted the person u responded too.

G-MENBK
09-09-2012, 09:54 PM
Would have been 2 TD but the replacement refs were too busy picking their noses to see the holding on Cruz.

Drez
09-09-2012, 10:01 PM
what? lol I love how u turned this around...u made this drawn out post about how u expected more from eli and how no elite qb fails to score a TD...and I merely pointed out that of his 31 passes, 28 or 29 of them were as good as u could want it...ur other point about the entire offense needing to do more is accurate, but ur points on eli I felt were inaccurate, which is what I responded too. i have no desire or need to hear u say eli is awesome. im just calling into question the specific post u made, which I quoted the person u responded too.
Seriously. We had, by my count, 5 dropped passes (3 by Cruz, 1 by Bennett, 1 by Bradshaw). He had 2 missed passes (Nicks on the first drive and Hixon later [remember, we ended up scoring on that drive anyway... We just lost a little time, not that it mattered much with the way the defense was playing). I guess you can bring in not taking a shot on the offsides. But, ultimately, it's pretty nit picky to take 3 plays and based off that say that Eli needed to step up his play. All-in-all, he played about as well as the circumstances allowed for him to play. He didn't have much time in the pocket, his receivers weren't getting good separation, and we had a bunch of drops that killed drives. Those are all things that are out of his control.

brad
09-09-2012, 10:09 PM

I have posted several times defending my original statement that Eli played OK, but I expected more from him and the entire offense. My point has been that they are better than they played, apparently most of those arguing with me on that point think thats as good as this offense gets.

I apologize if I got a little dramatic on the previous post, but people continue picking one statement out of many and twist what I am saying rather than reading the entire point of my post.

gumby74
09-09-2012, 10:24 PM
Eli played great. But he can't play every position on offense.

GiantWarfare
09-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Eli played very well. Would've had at least 2 TDs (Cruz call was missed), and probably over 250 yds had the drive that Wilson fumbled in was sustained. No run game to speak of, poor pass protection, Cruz having the worst game of his life, and the Giants offense going up against an improved and vengeful Cowboys D = I can't single out Eli for too much if anything.

RichGiants81
09-09-2012, 11:01 PM
Eli played very well. Would've had at least 2 TDs (Cruz call was missed), and probably over 250 yds had the drive that Wilson fumbled in was sustained. No run game to speak of, poor pass protection, Cruz having the worst game of his life, and the Giants offense going up against an improved and vengeful Cowboys D = I can't single out Eli for too much if anything.

Finally someone who gets it