PDA

View Full Version : Still really upset about our defence

appodictic
09-08-2012, 09:23 AM
We pretty much have the exact same unit from last year, we lost Ross and Grant. It was not just Coe and Tyron blowing coverages.

We did not get much pressure on Romo, and CWeb and Rolle looked bad we had several blown coverages, I mean what gives? This is the team that shut down the packers and the patriots.

Diamondring
09-08-2012, 09:43 AM
Well this is a new season so the humans body changes, they don't stay the same. I also see that Cowboys are really a high scoring team so we should think that they are going to beat our defense. The Packers, Pats and some other teams are made to score a lot of points. I get my football knowledge from those type of teams and see that our offense should be able to combat Dallas defense and they did. Yet we just didn't make enough plays, dallas made more or both.
I also see that the score could have been more than it really is on Dallas's side cause the Giants D had troubles stopping them. The Packers did dropped passes in the NFC Playoffs but even if they did catch the ball, our Giants would have still won the game. Dallas was also due for a win. We beat them what 5 out of 6 times? We should know Dallas has a good offense. Romo is a threat as we tend to not look at that. Our D-line can't do it alone all of the time cause some teams will improve their O-lines. Also our D-line may go up O-lines that are able to match our D-line. I think a lot of posters don't look at that cause they lack football knowledge. Many posters don't realize that Dallas players improve just like ours. If the posters do know, they sure don't act like it.

jomo
09-08-2012, 09:46 AM
I remember feeling the same way last year when Fewell kept dialing up these vanilla defenses and yes there were those blown coverages in the secondary early in the season. Not offering this as any type of excuse just a perspective that this feels awfully familiar (in a not so good way)

Blue in Oz
09-08-2012, 10:05 AM
Dallas had one of their best games of the last 5 years, and we had one of our worst, but there were some bright spots.

JB456
09-08-2012, 12:50 PM
We pretty much have the exact same unit from last year, we lost Ross and Grant. It was not just Coe and Tyron blowing coverages.

We did not get much pressure on Romo, and CWeb and Rolle looked bad we had several blown coverages, I mean what gives? This is the team that shut down the packers and the patriots.

I'm with you bro. I've heard from several people on this board that the Giants brought all this pressure on Romo but that didn't happen or when it did happen, he made a play. I mean how much pressure could the Giants bring when Tuck and Osi dissapeared?

brad
09-08-2012, 01:07 PM
The defense was worn down by the end of the first half and really didn't recover in the second. However, they played very well for the majority of the first half. Yes, they need to play a complete game, but I think it is being a little short sighted to put that all on the defense. The offense must take some of the blame. The offense was not very good for most of the game, putting the defense on the field way too often. Eventually, the defense is going to start breaking down.

I guess what I am saying is, this was a team loss, and the offense had as much to do with that as the defense. In fact, I would put more blame on the offense. The D is banged up, the O should have done more to compensate for that, and they failed miserably.

NYKiller
09-08-2012, 01:36 PM
I like Rolle. He is not a very good cover safety, but he does a good job against the run and usually among the leaders in team tackles. Kenny Phillips is a better cover safety. Webster is a very average CB. There are a lot of average CBs in the nfl, but if you catch 5 ints during the season, people are ready to send you to the super bowl. A CB who is constantly knocking away passes as well as get a lot of ints are usually the good CB. I believe Webster biggest weakness is that he lack the speed need to catch up with receivers after he gets beat. I can't wait to see what the Prince can do. If I was drafting a CB, beside cover skills, I would look for speed and height.

GameTime
09-08-2012, 01:44 PM
one game....and the first game.....
the pass rush will be there

Tmurda1984
09-08-2012, 02:02 PM
one game....and the first game.....
the pass rush will be there

Its one game under the same defensive coordinator they had for years....this mistakes SHOULD NOT BE HAPPENING. Its like our defenders dont watch any game film and is confused with certain formations and who to cover in zones. This team better be doing the extra work watching film and knowing each of their responsibiliites in the defense play call in relation to the formation the offense comes out in.

This is the absolute truth. You even seen it last year when playing the Saints...the confusion with certain formations they came out in. Against the cowboys you seen the same thing....Rolle is trying to help Tuck out in zone instead of doing his assignment. Just like Webster got caught looking in the backfield on the double move. These guys need to trust each other.

ELI_Iz_God
09-08-2012, 02:08 PM
Well it all falls on Tuck now.. He's the Captain so it's his job and responsibility to make sure week 2 goes down how week 1 "Should have". If they fail...he failed them...not the other way around

GameTime
09-08-2012, 02:08 PM
hey....I am not disagreeing that they have issues I am just saying its only one game and they will get it together. they have to.
Not Matter what the experience of the coach or defensive players **** happens.

Captain Chaos
09-08-2012, 03:42 PM
We are having the same effectiveness as we did last year as well.

Sarcasman
09-08-2012, 03:49 PM

In the playoffs.

It's also the defense that sucked for most of last year. It looked like the exact same team I watched for the first 15 games last year.

RichGiants81
09-09-2012, 05:43 AM
I like Rolle. He is not a very good cover safety, but he does a good job against the run and usually among the leaders in team tackles. Kenny Phillips is a better cover safety. Webster is a very average CB. There are a lot of average CBs in the nfl, but if you catch 5 ints during the season, people are ready to send you to the super bowl. A CB who is constantly knocking away passes as well as get a lot of ints are usually the good CB. I believe Webster biggest weakness is that he lack the speed need to catch up with receivers after he gets beat. I can't wait to see what the Prince can do. If I was drafting a CB, beside cover skills, I would look for speed and height.

Sounds like your assessment of webbie is all based on those plays he gave up on wednesday night. He is far above average and has proven it for years now. He deserves our trust and respect. The secondary will be fine when everyone is healthy and has time to gel . It's going to take afew weeks

ingoodshape
09-09-2012, 11:52 AM
Perry Fueels schemes stink on defense . its been more then enough time . lets face it players are just not getting it ................ players are never where they should be , and are never able to make a play on the ball ........... these schemes need to be simplified , forget this soft cover 2 defense ............ switch to man to man coverage , bump the recievers at the line and there you go ........ case solved . and of course stunt more and blitz a lot .............. GO GIANTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brad
09-09-2012, 12:01 PM
The defense was pretty bad in the second half, but in the first half they played very well... maybe the best cure for the defense would be to play a little offense before the game is almost over?

gumby74
09-09-2012, 03:40 PM
In the playoffs.

It's also the defense that sucked for most of last year. It looked like the exact same team I watched for the first 15 games last year.

Pretty much this. We win the SB and people forget our defense was terrible last year.

Jtuck
09-09-2012, 03:45 PM
Perry Fueels schemes stink on defense . its been more then enough time . lets face it players are just not getting it ................ players are never where they should be , and are never able to make a play on the ball ........... these schemes need to be simplified , forget this soft cover 2 defense ............ switch to man to man coverage , bump the recievers at the line and there you go ........ case solved . and of course stunt more and blitz a lot .............. GO GIANTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This right here! I have no idea why Fewel refuses to do this!

Buddy333
09-09-2012, 03:50 PM
I know some will say injuries are not an excuse, but the difference from the way the finished last year and the 1st game of this year is no Canty and no Ross. Ross was. It very good last year but still better than anything hey have now at their #2. Quick slants are how you offset a great pass rush. It was sad to see Webster play so bad, but he did the same thing last year against Washington in the 1st game. On the other side you had Coe and Tryon. They need Prince to get back soon, and I think they need to get Will Hill on the field. I don't think they can rely on Canty this year so they need Austin to get on the field. Not to be a full time DT, but to share snaps with Bernard who looked good the other night but was getting tired.

Buddy333
09-09-2012, 03:51 PM
How do you blitz with Coe and Tryon covering?

gumby74
09-09-2012, 03:55 PM
How do you blitz with Coe and Tryon covering?

If you're going to go down in flames, you might as well go down with style.

Buddy333
09-09-2012, 03:57 PM
Lol. You have to try to win. I mean IF Webster doesn't have the worse game he has had in a year and IF Coe and Tryon do what the are paid to do the game may have a different outcome. I just think its a matter of execution and not play calling. Of course I don't think they had the personnel to execute so they had issues for sure.

Diamondring
09-09-2012, 04:17 PM
How do you blitz with Coe and Tryon covering?Defense can't rush 4 men all of the time. and they didn't do good with the 4 man rush.

Diamondring
09-09-2012, 04:17 PM
We got another Tim Lewis.

Buddy333
09-09-2012, 04:29 PM
The Giants don't blitz a lot. Not e en when they went on their Super Bowl winning run.

bearbryant
09-09-2012, 04:41 PM
Anyone who is watching games today- How would the soft D we play be doing against any of these passing teams. Answer: horrible. Even inexperienced Pros like RGIII is able to kill a D like the Aints, and they're not that soft. Our secondary as it was played Wednesday will not work, they will dink and dunk all the way down the field, ala Brady, if need be. The refs are allowing guys to play, no pitter pat stuff. You gotta get up on these guys and kick their butts. We draft our D fronts for this kind of play. Don't whimp out on us PF, man up or go home. Hey, we have some injuries to deal with but everyone does. Prince and coe come back, coach them right, don't forget Osi and Tuck either! Go Giants!!!

wrek537emc
09-09-2012, 06:01 PM
The defense was worn down by the end of the first half and really didn't recover in the second. However, they played very well for the majority of the first half. Yes, they need to play a complete game, but I think it is being a little short sighted to put that all on the defense. The offense must take some of the blame. The offense was not very good for most of the game, putting the defense on the field way too often. Eventually, the defense is going to start breaking down.

I guess what I am saying is, this was a team loss, and the offense had as much to do with that as the defense. In fact, I would put more blame on the offense. The D is banged up, the O should have done more to compensate for that, and they failed miserably.

sorry man... the D was pathetic. no pressure on Romo... he had about 7 seconds in the pocket.... our secondary was porous. the D put Eli in a situation where he had to keep up with the Dallas Offense.... usually when our D gives up a 2 tDlead, eli ends up throwing more interceptions. Our D is so bad, i expect more attmepts on 4th n shorts by opposing offenses. JPP and Boley showed up..once boley left, it was downhill from there.

brad
09-09-2012, 06:37 PM
sorry man... the D was pathetic. no pressure on Romo... he had about 7 seconds in the pocket.... our secondary was porous. the D put Eli in a situation where he had to keep up with the Dallas Offense.... usually when our D gives up a 2 tDlead, eli ends up throwing more interceptions. Our D is so bad, i expect more attmepts on 4th n shorts by opposing offenses. JPP and Boley showed up..once boley left, it was downhill from there.

So, your OK with not scoring an offensive TD in the entire first half? Your OK with 213 yds passing? Your OK with a nonexistent running game. I mean, I guess if you ignore all of that, it was absolutely all on the defense. Your assessment is correct if you only watched the second half. If you happened to see the first half, they did put pressure on Romo, they did well stopping the run and they held Dallas to just one TD.

I am not defending the D, they played a horrendous second half, but it seems that everyone on this board wants to give the offense a pass. The defense only gave the apposing team a 2 TD lead because the offense didn't score! Anyone that didn't expect some problems on D wasn't paying attention to all the injuries.. the offense had to play better to compensate for that.

Let's not forget, the defense gave the offense the ball on the 1 yard line... even that wasn't good enough field position apparently.

Jtuck
09-09-2012, 06:46 PM
So, your OK with not scoring an offensive TD in the entire first half? Your OK with 213 yds passing? Your OK with a nonexistent running game. I mean, I guess if you ignore all of that, it was absolutely all on the defense. Your assessment is correct if you only watched the second half. If you happened to see the first half, they did put pressure on Romo, they did well stopping the run and they held Dallas to just one TD.

I am not defending the D, they played a horrendous second half, but it seems that everyone on this board wants to give the offense a pass. The defense only gave the apposing team a 2 TD lead because the offense didn't score! Anyone that didn't expect some problems on D wasn't paying attention to all the injuries.. the offense had to play better to compensate for that.

Let's not forget, the defense gave the offense the ball on the 1 yard line... even that wasn't good enough field position apparently.

The one thing that bothers Me about Eli and the offense is they seem to tighten up in the redzone! We can move the ball up and down the field and then when we hit that 20 yard line they become ultimate chokers! Guys like Brady, Rogers & Peyton become killing machines when they enter the redzone! I think as an offense we settle way too much for FG's intead of TD's! At times I don't get the sense of urgency from the offense when in the redzone!

CowboysSuck
09-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Hey OP, as a fan of football you spelled DEFENSE wrong. Fail.

edit: unless you are from Britain.

hungrrrry
09-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Doesn't seem like we will have the worst defense...Greenbay looks like ****

Diamondring
09-09-2012, 08:34 PM
The Giants don't blitz a lot. Not e en when they went on their Super Bowl winning run.Yeah but that may not last long cause teams improve. Also it is about matchups and there are good O-lines out there Buddy33 and some of them have extra help. Then you have plays that can still get the ball out even if you do rush 4 men.

Diamondring
09-09-2012, 08:36 PM
The one thing that bothers Me about Eli and the offense is they seem to tighten up in the redzone! We can move the ball up and down the field and then when we hit that 20 yard line they become ultimate chokers! Guys like Brady, Rogers & Peyton become killing machines when they enter the redzone! I think as an offense we settle way too much for FG's intead of TD's! At times I don't get the sense of urgency from the offense when in the redzone!I was suprise that they tried to use power football when they needed to use finess and style. That is our offense not a try to run at them king of offense. That type needs pure dominating blockers and extra blocking receivers.

JustinTuckNYG91
09-09-2012, 09:16 PM
The one thing that bothers Me about Eli and the offense is they seem to tighten up in the redzone! We can move the ball up and down the field and then when we hit that 20 yard line they become ultimate chokers! Guys like Brady, Rogers & Peyton become killing machines when they enter the redzone! I think as an offense we settle way too much for FG's intead of TD's! At times I don't get the sense of urgency from the offense when in the redzone!

It's bad when you are pretty sure when Boley doesn't score, you're going to settle for a FG. Having a suspicion of 2 run plays, then forced to throw and the other teams D knows it. Makes it tough to get a TD at that point.