PDA

View Full Version : NYG Loss to Dallas: The David Diehl Dilemma

The Caster Kid
09-08-2012, 08:07 PM
To most of us, NYG's offensive line weakness is not just old news, it's non-news. You could probably argue that the blame for the line's inadequacies deserves to be passed around. There are certainly several culprits. But as the play-by-play analysis of Wednesday's game trickles in one name stands out dramatically: David Diehl. The Giant's Gab blog has the play-by-play of the second quarter here (http://www.giantsgab.com/2012/09/08/second-quarter-review/). It's a must-read for anyone trying to understand what happened offensively during the season opener. This is the comment from the first full play of the second quarter:

"Eli sacked far back. They blitzed and the offensive line was like a sieve. The guy blew by Diehl who didn’t even get a finger on him. This game is getting hard to watch Diehl play, he’s that bad. He has not yet made one block of anybody during this game."

It doesn't get any better. I've read on this forum and other sites that many people have noticed Diehl's game flagging. But reading through Giants Gab's breakdown makes it clear just how bad the situation is. Here's another quote:

"Eli in shotgun, complete collapse of the offensive blocking and a sack. Diehl whiffs again and Bradshaw was out of position to help. Deihl has single handedly allowed the Cowboys to beat the Giants with his poor play."

Big Daddy's (the post's author) could be accused of hyperbole with that last sentence, but I'm not sure it is. With the NYG's receivers and Eli behind center, if the offensive line can give him enough time there is almost no way (aside from drops) this team doesn't move the sticks and score nearly at-will. They are just too talented.

We've all heard the axiom 'a chain is only as strong as its weakest link' and I think it's becoming clear who that weak link is. It's a real shame because I, like most of you, have always liked Diehl as a person and a leader. But this isn't a popularity contest. If David's game has *truly* fallen as far as this report indicates (read: this wasn't some fluke or there is no unknown injury), a change must be made immediately. Or in Big Daddy's words:

"...it pains me to say this but David Diehl is the worst right tackle in the NFL. He cannot move and has no functional strength to take on any defender. In my opinion ANY legitimate NFL right tackle would be an upgrade. I have never seen such a poor performance from an offensive tackle in my 50 years of watching football. The only other time was an Eagles game where Osi ate up a guy for like 6 sacks. Diehl is just as bad not only in pass protection but he was the cause of some runs going nowhere. He blocked no one. It was agonizing to sit at my PC and watch his play. If he is there next game for the Giants it could only mean that the Giants could not find anybody off waivers or a free agent and/or Brewer and Beatty are not healthy yet. There has to be someone out there sitting home waiting for a call, please Reese find someone, anyone."

I'm waiting for other sites to give their play-by-play comments to determine how seriously to take this reaction, but if it is accurate (as I suspect it is) it will be extremely interesting to see what Coughlin does in this next week. Unfortunately, knowing Tom like we do, it's hard to imagine him making a radical change. Maybe I'm wrong?

What do you guys think?

**Alternate title for this post: A Loss to Dallas - NYG Gets a ****ty Deihl.

Kill me, I'm sorry.

Again, big props to Giants Gab, here is the link to the 2nd Q breakdown:

http://www.giantsgab.com/2012/09/08/second-quarter-review/

Manning
09-08-2012, 08:14 PM
He sucks. His only saving grace that he was versatile for so many years, but he even sucked at guard last year.

Eliscruzzz
09-08-2012, 08:14 PM
When Beatty and Brewer are healthy I suspect DD to be substituting.

CowboysSuck
09-08-2012, 08:16 PM
A little dramatic, but I can't say I dont agree. You know how TC is though, hes very loyal to his veteran players. He probably wont make Diehl ride the pine when really he shouldn't even be on the team... It shall be interesting to see how this plays out through the season.

TheEnigma
09-08-2012, 08:17 PM
In before "But we won 2 SB's with Diehl????"

The Caster Kid
09-08-2012, 08:17 PM
I guess I'm wondering if they can afford to wait for Beatty to get healthy? With the Giants schedule being the hardest in the NFL this season they can't afford to wait. Every game is critical.

RoanokeFan
09-08-2012, 08:22 PM
A little dramatic, but I can't say I dont agree. You know how TC is though, hes very loyal to his veteran players. He probably wont make Diehl ride the pine when really he shouldn't even be on the team... It shall be interesting to see how this plays out through the season.

I think if TC believed someone could take over and improve the situation he'd do it. But he is loyal to his veterans.

Eli TO Shockey
09-08-2012, 08:29 PM
Putting Diehl on the right side is a disgrace to Chris Snee.

slipknottin
09-08-2012, 08:36 PM
Giants brought in Locklear to beat out Diehl at RT.

But they need Beatty healthy to do it.

GMENAGAIN
09-08-2012, 08:58 PM
When Beatty and Brewer are healthy I suspect DD to be substituting.

Brewer . . . lol. That guy couldn't hold DD's jock. He is total garbage. If he is in a game this year, we can kiss the season goodbye . . . .

Tmurda1984
09-08-2012, 09:22 PM
But Diehl has two Superbowl rings in 5 years... If everyone can tell me that about Reese why can't the same statement work for Diehl. In fact we won to Superbowls with Diehl at Left Tackle. Diehl has more rings than Jake Long and Joe Thomas have playoff wins. And Im just being silly, and know Diehl is terrible...but everytime I talk about Reese I always have to hear that he won 2 Superbowls in 5 years, yet we tight against the cap, have the worst offensive line, secondary and linebackers in the NFL, and the worst running game in Giants history...and the whole fan base chants In Reese We trust...what a crock of shyt.

Mod_C
09-08-2012, 11:53 PM
Putting Diehl on the right side is a disgrace to Chris Snee. why is that?

jgiantfan
09-08-2012, 11:56 PM
A little dramatic, but I can't say I dont agree. You know how TC is though, hes very loyal to his veteran players. He probably wont make Diehl ride the pine when really he shouldn't even be on the team... It shall be interesting to see how this plays out through the season. A little dramatic? DD is awful. I said last year he was the worst left tackle in the NFL and now he takes the title as worst right tackle. It amazes me that personality goes a long way in the NFL. Its obvious that DD wooed a few folks in the Giant organization to last as long as he did because the talent was always lacking. .

Eliscruzzz
09-09-2012, 12:00 AM
Brewer . . . lol. That guy couldn't hold DD's jock. He is total garbage. If he is in a game this year, we can kiss the season goodbye . . . . LOL did you watch DD on Wednesday? How you can make a statement like that.... it baffles me.... there is no way he can be any worse then DD I don't care what happened last year. Why don't we at least see what he can do first. I know we won a 2 SB with the guy but come on man wake up DD is going to the bench when Beatty gets back.

jgiantfan
09-09-2012, 12:10 AM
In before "But we won 2 SB's with Diehl????" Dooch bag alert.. Eli got destroyed in playoffs by SF defense and we are very fortunate that E Manning was not seriously hurt.. SF Defense had 6 sacks and knocked down Eli coutless times. K McKenzie and David Diehl were awful. Do me a favor. Go back and watch the SF game and focus on David Diehl's performance and come back to this board and give me a strong argument that Diehl helped us win the SB. .

jgiantfan
09-09-2012, 12:13 AM
[QUOTE=Tmurda1984;478100]But Diehl has two Superbowl rings in 5 years... If everyone can tell me that about Reese why can't the same statement work for Diehl. In fact we won to Superbowls with Diehl at Left Tackle. Diehl has more rings than Jake Long and Joe Thomas have playoff wins. And Im just being silly, and know Diehl is terrible...but everytime I talk about Reese I always have to hear that he won 2 Superbowls in 5 years, yet we tight against the cap, have the worst offensive line, secondary and linebackers in the NFL, and the worst running game in Giants history...and the whole fan base chants In Reese We trust...what a crock of shyt.[/QUOTE Another dooch bag alert. Again. Dooch bag alert.. Eli got destroyed in playoffs by SF defense and we are very fortunate that E Manning was not seriously hurt.. SF Defense had 6 sacks and knocked down Eli coutless times. K McKenzie and David Diehl were awful. Do me a favor. Go back and watch the SF game and focus on David Diehl's performance and come back to this board and give me a strong argument that Diehl helped us win the SB. .

giantsfan420
09-09-2012, 12:16 AM
PFF did a review of DD play and it wasn't pretty either. If its obvious to ppl who watch coach's tape, its obvious to the coaches. thats why TC was so distraught about Beatty missing time I guess, rightfully so. DD is the epitome of what a Giant player is, he really was I should say. Now, let him be the swing guy or depth. who knows, he hasnt missed time in how long now? maybe some rest could help his body out, i dunno. the plan is obviously Beatty and Lockler at T's. But maybe the question is if Beatty should go to RT? We'll see, but I think its safe to say DD is going to be a depth guy, otherwise dont be suprised when drives are ending left and right bc of the pressure allowed...

jgiantfan
09-09-2012, 12:16 AM
But Diehl has two Superbowl rings in 5 years... If everyone can tell me that about Reese why can't the same statement work for Diehl. In fact we won to Superbowls with Diehl at Left Tackle. Diehl has more rings than Jake Long and Joe Thomas have playoff wins. And Im just being silly, and know Diehl is terrible...but everytime I talk about Reese I always have to hear that he won 2 Superbowls in 5 years, yet we tight against the cap, have the worst offensive line, secondary and linebackers in the NFL, and the worst running game in Giants history...and the whole fan base chants In Reese We trust...what a crock of shyt. Dooch bag alert.. Eli got destroyed in playoffs by SF defense and we are very fortunate that E Manning was not seriously hurt.. SF Defense had 6 sacks and knocked down Eli coutless times. K McKenzie and David Diehl were awful. Do me a favor. Go back and watch the SF game and focus on David Diehl's performance and come back to this board and give me a strong argument that Diehl helped us win the SB. .

Eliscruzzz
09-09-2012, 12:23 AM
Dooch bag alert.. Eli got destroyed in playoffs by SF defense and we are very fortunate that E Manning was not seriously hurt.. SF Defense had 6 sacks and knocked down Eli coutless times. K McKenzie and David Diehl were awful. Do me a favor. Go back and watch the SF game and focus on David Diehl's performance and come back to this board and give me a strong argument that Diehl helped us win the SB. .LMAO why do you keep putting the same post down? I'm telling you right now man when people see that your calling people names your going to get rip to shreds better off just keeping it about football.

joemorrisforprez
09-09-2012, 12:24 AM
I'm biased....I've always been a big David Diehl fan.

I'm not going to pin the blame of the entire line on him, though....the entire line has looked shabby.

If Diehl isn't getting the job done, it's up to the coaching staff to either correct it or replace him with someone better.

However, if Diehl is the best option we've got, then it's not a good reflection on Jerry Reese's ability to restock the line. Fact is, I'm still waiting to see something from Baas that justifies his fat contract, and every attempt to address the aging line so far has not worked.

It's up to Diehl, Baas, Snee, etc to get the job done up front...... but it's Reese's job to give Coughlin a Plan B. And right now, I don't see a Plan B.

jgiantfan
09-09-2012, 12:28 AM
[QUOTE=Eliscruzzz;478235]LMAO why do you keep putting the same post down? I'm telling you right now man when people see that your calling people names your going to get rip to shreds better off just keeping it about football.[/QUOTE Thanks for the advice. LOL. A copy and paste job is much easier than writing out a new reply.

jgiantfan
09-09-2012, 12:35 AM

I'm not going to pin the blame of the entire line on him, though....the entire line has looked shabby.

If Diehl isn't getting the job done, it's up to the coaching staff to either correct it or replace him with someone better.

However, if Diehl is the best option we've got, then it's not a good reflection on Jerry Reese's ability to restock the line. Fact is, I'm still waiting to see something from Baas that justifies his fat contract, and every attempt to address the aging line so far has not worked.

It's up to Diehl, Baas, Snee, etc to get the job done up front...... but it's Reese's job to give Coughlin a Plan B. And right now, I don't see a Plan B. I am very impressed with your temperence and observations. I do not possess the same self-restraint or self control to casually and nicely say that Diehl can't get the job done. .

GMENAGAIN
09-09-2012, 09:32 AM
LOL did you watch DD on Wednesday? How you can make a statement like that.... it baffles me.... there is no way he can be any worse then DD I don't care what happened last year. Why don't we at least see what he can do first. I know we won a 2 SB with the guy but come on man wake up DD is going to the bench when Beatty gets back.

I can make a statement like that because I watched Brewer play in the preseason. Clearly you did not. He is not an NFL player.

I don't disagree that DD is going to the bench when Beatty comes back. My point is that Brewer is not pushing anyone out of the starting lineup, including Diehl.

Redeyejedi
09-09-2012, 09:44 AM
Wow people are finally realizing Diehl is awful. He has gotten worse from last year. I think he is the worst starting tackle in the NFL.I really dont understand what Reese was thinking allowing him to be a starter another season. U can tell me till your blue in the face how they won Super Bowls with him I dont care. Watch him on an individual play basis he is finished.He has been on the decline since 2009 and this year its gotten really bad. I cant see how the Giants are going to be able to make the playoffs with this Oline this year.

drewz
09-09-2012, 09:50 AM
I think once Beatty and *maybe* Brewer get healthy, David Diehl will finally go to the bench. Beatty goes to LT, Locklear goes to RT and maybe Brewer can finally show some growth this year and beat out Locklear later on in the year.

Tmurda1984
09-09-2012, 10:42 AM
I dont even know why Brewer's name is being mentioned at all....but this shows how bad this offensive line is. I lost all types of confidence in Beatty as well...I keep hearing this word potential floating around but he's never on the field and when he's on the field theres nothing special about him.

jomo
09-09-2012, 10:48 AM
When Beatty and Brewer are healthy I suspect DD to be substituting.With those words, you have further defined our problems with the OL.

slipknottin
09-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Brewer played alright in preseason. I think some of you are confusing him with McCants.

Coughlin on Brewer - "When he's out there he actually looks pretty good, but we're having trouble keeping him out there."

I would argue Brewer is already ready to challenge Diehl for a RT spot.

From what I saw, Brewer struggled at LT, but at RT was pretty solid.

moosedrool
09-09-2012, 11:33 AM
I saw edge speed rushers run by Brewer with him barely getting a hand on them. I think it was at LT but if he is that bad I doubt it will matter which tackle position he is playing. And McCants was even worse. Reese has made a alot of good moves, but he has made bad many decisions with the OL.

slipknottin
09-09-2012, 11:47 AM
I saw Brewer get beat clean at LT once, didnt see it at RT. Thats a pretty solid performance.

Eliscruzzz
09-09-2012, 12:42 PM
I can make a statement like that because I watched Brewer play in the preseason. Clearly you did not. He is not an NFL player.

I don't disagree that DD is going to the bench when Beatty comes back. My point is that Brewer is not pushing anyone out of the starting lineup, including Diehl. LOL so your ready to give up on a 2nd year player..... I'm glad your not coaching the team give the guy a chance he's can't be as bad as DD was on Wednesday and I really don't think he's as bad as you think o-linemen have to have some kind unity with each other and I doubt this 2nd year player has it yet. I know how you put stock into games that don't even matter but I don't, I put stock into the one's that do LIKE WEDNESDAY!!

Eliscruzzz
09-09-2012, 12:44 PM
Brewer played alright in preseason. I think some of you are confusing him with McCants.

Coughlin on Brewer - "When he's out there he actually looks pretty good, but we're having trouble keeping him out there."

I would argue Brewer is already ready to challenge Diehl for a RT spot.

From what I saw, Brewer struggled at LT, but at RT was pretty solid.Thank you I knew I wasn't crazy.

Captain Chaos
09-09-2012, 12:50 PM
I think that by mid season Brewer will be our RT. Beatty should be at LT for the Bucs!

Eliscruzzz
09-09-2012, 12:57 PM
I think that by mid season Brewer will be our RT. Beatty should be at LT for the Bucs!I could live with that I think DD can be productive just productive coming off the bench.

Eliscruzzz
09-09-2012, 01:19 PM
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!dude please stop with the thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it's getting annoying.

GMENAGAIN
09-09-2012, 10:33 PM
LOL so your ready to give up on a 2nd year player..... I'm glad your not coaching the team give the guy a chance he's can't be as bad as DD was on Wednesday and I really don't think he's as bad as you think o-linemen have to have some kind unity with each other and I doubt this 2nd year player has it yet. I know how you put stock into games that don't even matter but I don't, I put stock into the one's that do LIKE WEDNESDAY!!
Dude, how old are you, 6?

I can only judge the guy on what we have seen so far and, quite frankly, what we have seen has been downright awful. Not sure what you are judging him on.

Eliscruzzz
09-09-2012, 10:39 PM
Dude, how old are you, 6?

I can only judge the guy on what we have seen so far and, quite frankly, what we have seen has been downright awful. Not sure what you are judging him on.Don't know why your getting offended when you said I didn't watch any games and I don't know what I'm talking but whatever we disagree.Probably won't be the last time either. I just think you gotta give a guy more then a year before you decide he's awful.

Kase-1
09-09-2012, 11:47 PM
Neither of our OTs are starting material, Beatty is good but he cant stay healthy. We need to seriously look at at least 1 OT in the 1st few rounds of the upcoming draft cause this is unacceptable. Diehl is good but only as a bench player

Toadofsteel
09-09-2012, 11:53 PM
Quick, we need to sign Lawrence Taylor... he's won 2 super bowl rings with us AND was rated one of the best pass rushers ever, he must be solid!

El Jefe
09-10-2012, 12:32 AM

It's up to Diehl, Baas, Snee, etc to get the job done up front...... but it's Reese's job to give Coughlin a Plan B. And right now, I don't see a Plan B.
*applause*

At least you and a few others get it. Alot on here are killing the wrong people. They need to take their blinders off and realize JR is to blame for the mess we're in with the O-line. Can the line get better? Sure, but the fact that we have to hope Baas wasn't a bad signing, and we have to rest our hopes on guys like Brewer and Locklear is a problem.