PDA

View Full Version : Martin vs Wilson

Captain Chaos
09-11-2012, 06:10 AM
I'm surprised that this hasn't been posted already "the battle of the 1st rnd RBs in the 2012 draft." Who will have a better game?

I'm thinking that Wilson is going to come out looking for some redemption...

NYGabriel
09-11-2012, 06:49 AM
Martin.

Reese should have traded up to get him.

B-Red22
09-11-2012, 06:56 AM
Martin.

since we were one pick away when the Bucs traded up in front of us i'm not sure how he woulda know to do that??

NYGabriel
09-11-2012, 07:01 AM
since we were one pick away when the Bucs traded up in front of us i'm not sure how he woulda know to do that??

It's his job to know. I like Wilson but Martin looks ready. 113 yards total offense vs a fumble and the bench. I know it's only one game but it was predictable.

B-Red22
09-11-2012, 07:18 AM
It's his job to know. I like Wilson but Martin looks ready. 113 yards total offense vs a fumble and the bench. I know it's only one game but it was predictable.

so you wanted us to trade up 1 spot with denver, and trade what?

TheEnigma
09-11-2012, 07:20 AM
Unless Bradshaw is injured or Wilson breaks out a huge run, I can't see how Wilson would win this battle. Martin will have way more touches and has a better Oline to work with.

giantsfam04
09-11-2012, 07:26 AM
Martin is a good back, but I think he is as good as he will get. Wilson has just scratched the surface in my opinion Wilson has the bigger upside. And if I am not mistaken the same was said about Manning and Rivers, JPP and the guy the Titans took.

Imgrate
09-11-2012, 07:36 AM
so you wanted us to trade up 1 spot with denver, and trade what?To be fair, we did trade up one spot (or was it two) to secure Jeremy shockey

B-Red22
09-11-2012, 07:41 AM
To be fair, we did trade up one spot (or was it two) to secure Jeremy shockey

and was the team 2 spots up going to take a TE?? Because I didn't feel like Denver was going to take a RB.

jomo
09-11-2012, 07:52 AM
I'm surprised that this hasn't been posted already "the battle of the 1st rnd RBs in the 2012 draft." Who will have a better game?

I'm thinking that Wilson is going to come out looking for some redemption...It was posted last week.

Imgrate
09-11-2012, 08:21 AM
and was the team 2 spots up going to take a TE?? Because I didn't feel like Denver was going to take a RB.No. they traded up so that Seattle couldn't jump in front of them to take him. Basically, the same exact situation except we didn't trade up this time

Flip Empty
09-11-2012, 08:29 AM
Martin is a starter, Wilson isn't. Unfair competition.

Kruunch
09-11-2012, 08:40 AM
Martin.

By this logic, Aaron Rodgers, LeSean McCoy, Gronkowski, Lee, Bowman and Revis should all be Giants.

B-Red22
09-11-2012, 08:43 AM
By this logic, Aaron Rodgers, LeSean McCoy, Gronkowski, Lee, Bowman and Revis should all be Giants.

thank you for this

Imgrate
09-11-2012, 08:46 AM
By this logic, Aaron Rodgers, LeSean McCoy, Gronkowski, Lee, Bowman and Revis should all be Giants.Damn right.

Buddy333
09-11-2012, 08:46 AM
Well they both had 1 game to prove themselves so clearly Martin is better.

BlueSanta
09-11-2012, 08:55 AM
Martin came out of school at 23 yrs old. Wilson came out at 20 yrs old. Giants draft long term the Bucs needed a guy immediately. Both players went to teams that will fit them.

Imgrate
09-11-2012, 09:00 AM
Martin came out of school at 23 yrs old. Wilson came out at 20 yrs old. Giants draft long term the Bucs needed a guy immediately. Both players went to teams that will fit them.I am completely opposed to giving any running back a second contract

Toadofsteel
09-11-2012, 10:13 AM
I would have traded out of the 1st round for an OLineman, personally. Get a semi-decent tackle and a 2nd/3rd for our 1st, then with that and our original 2nd rounder we pick some more OL. We'd be down Wilson and Randle, but get 3 decent OL out of the deal. The team we trade picks with most likely takes Fleener with the 32nd pick. With a rejuvenated O-line promised and delivered by Reese, Jacobs never leaves (let's face it, it wasn't money that he left over, he realized he wanted to play for a team with a real o-line), and even Ware stays and has a decent year. Our running game doesn't miss Wilson at all, and in fact we have top 10 rushing yardage in 2012. We also don't miss Randle this season as a healthy Hixon gets a solid grip on the #3 WR spot.

NYGabriel
09-11-2012, 10:44 AM

Did we need Rodgers in '05 after getting Eli in '04?

The point is that Martin was the best running back in the draft after TR and Reese let him slip away. Wilson will be great but Martin would have given a better 'win now' opportunity.

BlueSanta
09-11-2012, 10:48 AM
I am completely opposed to giving any running back a second contract

thank God you arent our GM. We would have missed out on some great careers in this franchise's history. It is safe to say we would not have won the 1990 Superbowl either.

David Wilson will be 24 years old when his 1st contract is up. 1 year older than Doug Martin is now.

TheAnalyst
09-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Martin is a good back, but I think he is as good as he will get. Wilson has just scratched the surface in my opinion

Wow, Martin is already as good as he will get? And Wilson just scratched the surface? Come on bro, put the homer glasses on the table. Both RBs have a bunch to prove and improve still. Martin was more NFL ready then Wilson. They were calling Martin an LDT or Ray Rice clone, and I can see it. Wilson, not so much...

B-Red22
09-11-2012, 11:15 AM

The point is that Martin was the best running back in the draft after TR and Reese let him slip away. Wilson will be great but Martin would have given a better 'win now' opportunity.

So we dont build for the future anymore thru the draft?? Everything is win now??

giantsfam04
09-11-2012, 11:17 AM
Wow, Martin is already as good as he will get? And Wilson just scratched the surface? Come on bro, put the homer glasses on the table. Both RBs have a bunch to prove and improve still. Martin was more NFL ready then Wilson. They were calling Martin an LDT or Ray Rice clone, and I can see it. Wilson, not so much...

Don't have homer glasses I feel Wilson has more upside that is all.

TheAnalyst
09-11-2012, 11:18 AM
You know whats funny, if you reversed it in the draft and we got Martin and the Bucs got Wilson, you would see Martin with like 5 carries for 6 yards and Wilson 15 carries for over 100 yards and a TD for the Bucs...

You know why?

OLINE!!!!!!!!

giantsfam04
09-11-2012, 11:21 AM
You know whats funny, if you reversed it in the draft and we got Martin and the Bucs got Wilson, you would see Martin with like 5 carries for 6 yards and Wilson 15 carries for over 100 yards and a TD for the Bucs...

You know why?

OLINE!!!!!!!!

I was about to write the same thing and people would say we should have drafted Wilson and the Bucs got the best of JR in the draft.

Greg Schiano
09-11-2012, 11:34 AM
I think Martin will have a better game. Our run D allowed 10 yards last week against a good Panthers rushing attack. We're talking DeAngelo Williams and Superman Cam Newton. Glad I didn't get Wilson, if Martin fumbled the ball like he did, he'd be crying because I beat him* over the head with Blount's fist.

GIANTSED101
09-11-2012, 11:57 AM
As of right now Martins going to get more carries than Wilson and used more as a primary back. So of course he;s going to get more carries and yards.Once Wilson get's a real good handle on the ball and the offense we'll start to see him really progress. Besdies that he's also being utilized as our kick returner, is Martin doing that for Tampa?

Imgrate
09-11-2012, 11:58 AM
thank God you arent our GM. We would have missed out on some great careers in this franchise's history. It is safe to say we would not have won the 1990 Superbowl either. David Wilson will be 24 years old when his 1st contract is up. 1 year older than Doug Martin is now. the game is much different now then it was back then.

Greg Schiano
09-11-2012, 12:04 PM
As of right now Martins going to get more carries than Wilson and used more as a primary back. So of course he;s going to get more carries and yards.Once Wilson get's a real good handle on the ball and the offense we'll start to see him really progress. Besdies that he's also being utilized as our kick returner, is Martin doing that for Tampa?

Absolutely not. Don't want to risk injuring our first round pick on a known dangerous play.
We'll let one of the expendables do that for us. :D (In case you're going to ask how is that working for us, the answer is, "Not well")

GIANTSED101
09-11-2012, 12:18 PM
Looking at the big picture I think by atleast week 7 Wilson will probably start being more utilized in the offense. The Giants have a lot of cinfidence in the kid and I think that was made clear once they let Ware go. If we can start getting him involved in screens or even little dump plays defenses will have to start paying attention to him. Even with our offensive line not being at it's best he still has great potential to make something out of something.

GMan-67
09-11-2012, 12:21 PM
that's like comparing Weeden to RG III ... Martin was drafted ahead of Wilson

bigblue999
09-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Wilson is probably 2 years away from what he can do. He needs to put on quite a bit of decent muscle weight keeping the same speed and athletism. He needs to be mentally tough like bradshaw. It's the mentally tough that make it in this league...I know that wilson has that he just has to fortify it not allow it to shatter.

FlyingTruck
09-11-2012, 12:27 PM

The point is that Martin was the best running back in the draft after TR and Reese let him slip away. Wilson will be great but Martin would have given a better 'win now' opportunity.And we didn't need a "win now' opportunity. Jacobs was the back up to Tiki and eventually became a great starter AND helped us win 2 Superbowls. Bradshaw was Jacobs back up and is now a great starter and also helped us win 2 SBs. You draft for long term. FA for 'win now' opportunity. How many times do rookies come into the league and help a team 'win now'?

moosedrool
09-11-2012, 12:31 PM
I watched the whole TB/CAR game and I would much rather have Martin. The muscle hamster does look alot like Ray Rice. Ran hard, good hands, and most importantly great ball security. He got hit HARD a number of times and the ball was high and tight every time. I don't believe the Giants when they said they had Wilson rated higher than Martin.

GIANTSED101
09-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Bradshaw had fumbling problems, Tiki had fumbling problems, it can be fixed. Wilson had 1 fumble and got benched because that's what Coughlin does and everyone is acting like the kid is a bust. Let's wait a couple of weeks and have the discussion again then.

moosedrool
09-11-2012, 12:59 PM
People aren't saying he is a bust....just that they'd rather have Martin

Eliscruzzz
09-11-2012, 01:15 PM
If Martin was on this team right now how would he fair???? I don't get why people think Martin is better I'm not being a homer either, Martin has the better 0-line and he run between the tackles and does it well,but when we fix our o-line and Wilson becomes the starter he will be better then Martin jmo. Wislon can make something outta of nothing he will be a better dual threat then Martin in the running and passing game all he has to do is pickup the pass protection and stop the fumbles. I don't think JR 'dropped" the ball on not drafting Martin. If he did pick up Martin to me he is the same player as Bradshaw which the Giants don't need they need and explosive type of back and they got it with Wilson cause with this crappy o-line you need a running back that can make something outta of nothing.

Greg Schiano
09-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Mark Dominik (Buc's GM) just told me that he apologizes to you guys for taking Doug Martin ahead of you.

DVision
09-11-2012, 01:18 PM
The Bucs have built a beast of an o-line! I believe if our line could just open a crease both Wilson and Bradshaw have the ability to exploit it for at least 4 yards to stay ahead of the sticks! Unfortunately we have o-lineman who are being blown up and pushed 4 yards into the backfield! Including Snee who is supposed to be a mauler and our best lineman! I can't see any back having success behind these cupcakes! I'd bring back Richie just to show these players the mentality o-lineman are supposed to have. He used to fight his own teammates in practice! Loved it!!

Eliscruzzz
09-11-2012, 01:28 PM
Mark Dominik (Buc's GM) just told me that he apologizes to you guys for taking Doug Martin ahead of you.I really don't think JR even wanted Martin at all.

DVision
09-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Mark Dominik (Buc's GM) just told me that he apologizes to you guys for taking Doug Martin ahead of you.

Relax bro! He looked good, but it's one week and the D you went against is not necessarily a powerhouse! We already have a #1 back who has run for 1200+ yards in a season! And even with our terrible o-line Bradshaw's ypc was higher than Martins last week! Wilson will be fine! Now if you want to apologize for picking up Carl Nicks that's a different story!

Rat_bastich
09-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Both running backs are going to have their ups and downs. Games where they break 100+ yards and games where they probably don't even get close to 50 yards. Both most likely, barring injury or doing something stupid will have long careers. Martin has the advantage at this point because he is going to be playing regularly. Wilson is our back of the future...after Bradshaw. It says alot for him that he is already the number 2 guy and takes over if something happens to the oft injured Bradshaw. The coaches must have some faith in him knowing that he probably will start this season at some point because Bradshaw will be nursing an ankle or foot.

And, also believe it or not, Doug Martin also had a ball security issue with 8 fumbles in fifty games by holding the ball up high...the same as Wilson.

Greg Schiano
09-11-2012, 01:50 PM
Relax bro! He looked good, but it's one week and the D you went against is not necessarily a powerhouse! We already have a #1 back who has run for 1200+ yards in a season! And even with our terrible o-line Bradshaw's ypc was higher than Martins last week! Wilson will be fine! Now if you want to apologize for picking up Carl Nicks that's a different story!

This is true. Without Davin Joseph (Pro-Bowl Guard), I fear the interior rush you guys have will have a good game. I hope this one is won in the trenches, I love ugly games.

BlueSanta
09-11-2012, 02:24 PM
the game is much different now then it was back then.

who scored the game winning td in the superbowl last year? That's right a Rb on his 2nd contract.

So now we are down 2 superbowls with you as GM.

BeatYale
09-11-2012, 02:59 PM

Easy to say in hind sight.

joemorrisforprez
09-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Giants aren't going to get anything going on the ground against Tampa's defense.

This game will be on Eli, the receivers, and the defense.

I predict this game is going to come down to controlling field position, and will be a low scoring affair.

Giants rushing attack might be even worse than last year, if that's possible.

NYGabriel
09-11-2012, 03:23 PM
Easy to say in hind sight.

It's not really hindsight though. Many wanted us to draft Martin and he was the number 2 RB on most people's boards. A lot of people also said he was more NFL ready. A lot of people said Reese boobed. The numbers don't lie. Martin's already nominated for rookie of the week (although surely RG3 will get it). Wilson is going to need a little more time - as predicted.

I like Wilson too though. He needs to get it together fast if we want to have a good running game this year. He has the potential to be the most explosive back. You could see that the fumble hurt him and he won't want to go through that again too many times. I still have faith in him.

Greg Schiano
09-11-2012, 03:23 PM
I hope the offense has been working in some new kinks, bells and whistles. Mike Sullivan had a not too shabby debute. We weren't flashy, but we won the game and that is what counts. Good management. Thanks for Mike Sullivan New York.

joeybagadonutz23
09-11-2012, 03:56 PM

Moot point. Our Offensive Line is so bad that it wouldn't matter who was running behind them. They can't run block to save their lives.

BigSombrero
09-11-2012, 04:29 PM
I hope the offense has been working in some new kinks, bells and whistles. Mike Sullivan had a not too shabby debute. We weren't flashy, but we won the game and that is what counts. Good management. Thanks for Mike Sullivan New York.As a Bucs fan I think this migh be jumping the gun a bit. Sully called a good game early on but dialing it back in the second half is not going to always work. I'm going to have to see more before I jump on his bandwagon.As for Martin vs Wilson I say it's impossible to tell this early. I really like Martin (though I would like to see Blount and Ware share the load a bit more to keep Martin healthy). Wilson wise when I have watched him in pre season I have seen flashes of him being a playmaker. You can teach a running back to take better care of the ball. I haven't really payed to much attention to NY's o line but if it's as bad as you guys make it out then you have to fix that before you can expect anything out of any running back. As of now yeah Martin is better, he had 20+ carries, didn't fumble, ran hard, blocked and made one he'll of a catch. But who knows what happens later down the line.

DVision
09-11-2012, 04:32 PM
It's not really hindsight though. Many wanted us to draft Martin and he was the number 2 RB on most people's boards. A lot of people also said he was more NFL ready. A lot of people said Reese boobed. The numbers don't lie. Martin's already nominated for rookie of the week (although surely RG3 will get it). Wilson is going to need a little more time - as predicted.

I like Wilson too though. He needs to get it together fast if we want to have a good running game this year. He has the potential to be the most explosive back. You could see that the fumble hurt him and he won't want to go through that again too many times. I still have faith in him.

Alfred Morris had more yards and TD's than both Wilson and Martin! The numbers don't lie! He's better than both of them! Smh! How can you look at numbers from one game and make a determination! Did you stop and think that Blount got hurt as usual (allowing for more carries), the Bucs have a quality line, and maybe the Cowboys run D is better than Carolina's was last week! Not to mention we have a pretty good #1 back that is currently healthy! Martin is their #1 back because they don't have a quality veteran that can make it through a game!

Duckdownman
09-11-2012, 05:37 PM
the game is much different now then it was back then.

Which is even more so to justify a second contract. Most teams are using multiple backs...less carries= less wear and tear.

moosedrool
09-11-2012, 06:35 PM
And, also believe it or not, Doug Martin also had a ball security issue with 8 fumbles in fifty games by holding the ball up high...the same as Wilson.

Martin's 8 fumbles in 50 games is not bad. Wilson had 5 fumbles last year in 14 games.

nycsportzfan
09-12-2012, 01:30 AM

I'm thinking that Wilson is going to come out looking for some redemption... As doug martins biggest fan going into the draft, i have actually spoke about this prior to this thread with Blue Santa.. Doug Martin is a stud, regardless of what we get outta Dave Wilson..

Martin played serious closer the 2nd half for bucs last wk, gaining almost half of there 2nd half total..

giantsfan420
09-12-2012, 01:35 AM
martin is good. but dont u feel that he may be at the highest level he can reach? or close to it? i see him and think he looks like a solid, consistent back that I would love to have. but wilson strikes me as this uber talented, top 3 back when he reaches his top level...martin may be better now, but i think wilson can be way better overall in the long run.

giantsfan420
09-12-2012, 01:37 AM
Alfred Morris had more yards and TD's than both Wilson and Martin! The numbers don't lie! He's better than both of them! Smh! How can you look at numbers from one game and make a determination! Did you stop and think that Blount got hurt as usual (allowing for more carries), the Bucs have a quality line, and maybe the Cowboys run D is better than Carolina's was last week! Not to mention we have a pretty good #1 back that is currently healthy! Martin is their #1 back because they don't have a quality veteran that can make it through a game!
i can actually tell u, from seeing a ton of FAU games, Alfred Smith is actually legit. If he was on Alabama, he'd be a first round pick imo. yeah he had fumble issues but thats bc he was always getting gang tackled. FAU had the WORST qb play for a while. Shnelenberg got them moving in the right direction tho. we got a new stadium to recruit. but yeah, smith is gonna be in the league for a while. very very physical back

appodictic
09-12-2012, 02:42 AM
Like it matters. We should have drafted oline.

FlyingTruck
09-12-2012, 04:21 AM
Like it matters. We should have drafted oline. We wouldn't have gotten a starter with our pick(s) anyway. Unless we are picking high, don't expect an offensive lineman to be picked by us in the first round. I'm fine with that as long as we're picking 32nd.

Captain Chaos
09-12-2012, 06:11 AM
Martin split time with Blount, and I believe we will see Bradshaw splitting time with Wilson. I think our D may be just slightly better than the Panthers, hoping Marvin Austin will add to a more stout run D later in the games. With Wilson having something to prove this could be a great game to watch. If our O Line can start putting something together maybe Wilson can outshine Martin.

TheAnalyst
09-12-2012, 08:58 AM
Here is a BOLD PREDICTION, DJ Ware will have more yards then Bradshaw rushing.... That one will sting a bit. But, their OLINE is absolutely top to bottom, better at run blocking then ours.

GameTime
09-12-2012, 10:40 AM
omg....some of you guys are very amusing......

Greg Schiano
09-12-2012, 12:01 PM
martin is good. but dont u feel that he may be at the highest level he can reach? or close to it?

No.

nycsportzfan
09-12-2012, 01:34 PM
Martin split time with Blount, and I believe we will see Bradshaw splitting time with Wilson. I think our D may be just slightly better than the Panthers, hoping Marvin Austin will add to a more stout run D later in the games. With Wilson having something to prove this could be a great game to watch. If our O Line can start putting something together maybe Wilson can outshine Martin. Martin Splits time with blount???lol What are u talking about? Blount got like 5carries compared to Martins 22.. Martin took that job about as quick as could be.. He blocks, he catches, and he runs.. Hes solidly built, has speed, and can return kicks.. Theres nothing the guy dosen't do well..

Greg Schiano
09-12-2012, 01:35 PM
Blount was possessed by a demon in the last game, I think that is the expert medical analysis of his injury.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeOcDimskjw (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeOcDimskjw)

nycsportzfan
09-12-2012, 01:42 PM
No. I know, how can anyone think the guys at his best when hes been coached at the pro level for a preseason and one game? Hes gonna be a 1200yrd 10td 50catch 2td guy for yrs to come.. If that is his highest level, then so be it...lol

gmen0820
09-12-2012, 02:02 PM
I know, how can anyone think the guys at his best when hes been coached at the pro level for a preseason and one game? Hes gonna be a 1200yrd 10td 50catch 2td guy for yrs to come.. If that is his highest level, then so be it...lolYup, agreed. Martin's a beast, he really grew on me big time. I wanted to land him in the second, but his stock just rose so damn high, and for good reason.

giantsfan420
09-12-2012, 02:04 PM
i dont see where martin is gonna improve is my point. as i said, he's already a very good nfl back. i dont think he will ever be more than that. thats not meant as a slight. what i was trying to say, poorly i guess, is that while martin is better atm in terms of being nfl ready, I think Wilson can be more than a very good back, i think he can be a top 3 back. I dont see Martin having that potential, but thats jmo. I dont see Martin having the elite tangible that seperates him from the pack. BenJarvis Green Ellis is a very good back. I think Martin will be similar to him. And thats not a bad thing at all. I just think Wilson can be like a MJD or AP caliber rb

BeatYale
09-12-2012, 02:32 PM
Well they both had 1 game to prove themselves so clearly Martin is better.

All it takes is 1 game for idiots to go nuts making predictions about players careers, the teams season etc.

nycsportzfan
09-12-2012, 02:40 PM
All it takes is 1 game for idiots to go nuts making predictions about players careers, the teams season etc. what cracks me up is the same people who call people idiots , are the same people who think Doug Martin has no upside and is as good as he is gonna be .. I'd of loved to of seen the same people who call people idiots if it Was WILSON who looked great and Martin who didn't..lol Then it would be " the giants made the right choice, as u can see"..lol U people are funny..

nycsportzfan
09-12-2012, 02:43 PM
i dont see where martin is gonna improve is my point. as i said, he's already a very good nfl back. i dont think he will ever be more than that. thats not meant as a slight. what i was trying to say, poorly i guess, is that while martin is better atm in terms of being nfl ready, I think Wilson can be more than a very good back, i think he can be a top 3 back. I dont see Martin having that potential, but thats jmo. I dont see Martin having the elite tangible that seperates him from the pack. BenJarvis Green Ellis is a very good back. I think Martin will be similar to him. And thats not a bad thing at all. I just think Wilson can be like a MJD or AP caliber rb Why would he have to improve? I'd rather have a guy whos all ready really good and dosen't need all this improvement before hes a NFL stud.. Ur right, martins all ready a good blocker, pass catcher, has speed, gains yards after contact, can shoulder a full workload..etc So ya, he probably dosen't have much room for improvement, hence why the bucs wanted em.. They wanted a safe stud, and not one who was gonna be hit or miss... Or i should say, less likely of a hit or miss..

BillTheGreek
09-12-2012, 11:50 PM
I think Martin will have a better game. Our run D allowed 10 yards last week against a good Panthers rushing attack. We're talking DeAngelo Williams and Superman Cam Newton. Glad I didn't get Wilson, if Martin fumbled the ball like he did, he'd be crying because I beat him* over the head with Blount's fist.

I have one thing to say about Martin , Contain him.......shut him down ! You know he will beTampa Bay's # 1 guy to go to ! He will be running & catching, All of our D should watch him like a hawk ! Play Giant football.

GO GIANTS !

giantsfan420
09-13-2012, 12:03 AM
Why would he have to improve? I'd rather have a guy whos all ready really good and dosen't need all this improvement before hes a NFL stud.. Ur right, martins all ready a good blocker, pass catcher, has speed, gains yards after contact, can shoulder a full workload..etc So ya, he probably dosen't have much room for improvement, hence why the bucs wanted em.. They wanted a safe stud, and not one who was gonna be hit or miss... Or i should say, less likely of a hit or miss..
wilson isnt really a hit or miss either. he's just not as ready as martin. wilson has better speed, quickness, agility, elusiveness, and he also breaks more tackles...wilson will eventually be better than martin, maybe even this season. jmo tho can respect a diff one

miked1958
09-13-2012, 12:10 AM
Martin is a starter, Wilson isn't. Unfair competition.+1

miked1958
09-13-2012, 12:12 AM
By the way, we can do that now.... Lol.. They lowered the min number of characters from 10 down to 2 today...Soo +1 away my friends

Greg Schiano
09-13-2012, 12:14 AM
By the way, we can do that now.... Lol.. They lowered the min number of characters from 10 down to 2 today...Soo +1 away my friends
+1

bbdynasty
09-13-2012, 01:45 AM
Wilson can ignite the offense i think. Martin looks to be a consistent and productive back, but not really a game changer imo. from what i've seen thus far at least, which i grant, isn't a whole lot

JavaBuc
09-13-2012, 02:17 AM
No offfense, but I think Wilson may be a bust.

CGYgiant
09-13-2012, 01:58 PM
Why would he have to improve? I'd rather have a guy whos all ready really good and dosen't need all this improvement before hes a NFL stud.. Ur right, martins all ready a good blocker, pass catcher, has speed, gains yards after contact, can shoulder a full workload..etc So ya, he probably dosen't have much room for improvement, hence why the bucs wanted em.. They wanted a safe stud, and not one who was gonna be hit or miss... Or i should say, less likely of a hit or miss..

You're correct, Martin is a jack of all trades but a master of none.

The better "runner" is Wilson, his naturally physical ability surpasses Martin. Ball security will be taught to him, physical ability cannot be taught. Wilson's speed, balance and power is rare. Again these things cannot be taught.

Once he gets his ball security down the sky is the limit, I wonder how many yards Wilson would have rushed for with 24 carries? certainly better than a 4.0 average.

Ghost of Gruden
09-13-2012, 02:31 PM
There is no doubt that Wilson has a bigger upside than Martin and I say this as a Bucs fan. I am amazed at the kind of burst he has for a guy of his size. But he wasn't what we needed, because we already have an inconsistent RB that has several highlight reel runs, but is a poor blocker and catcher of the ball. One thing I did not like about Wilson though is he wasn't patient as a runner at VT. If the hole did not open up right away, he would go east-west a lot instead of getting the sure 2-3 yards he would get by running downhill. That kind of running won't cut it in the NFL, but I am sure he is being coached to not do that.

BlueSanta
09-13-2012, 03:30 PM
No offfense, but I think Wilson may be a bust.

This from the guy , who in the other thread, said we should bring tiki back.

Rat_bastich
09-13-2012, 04:35 PM
http://www.newerascouting.com/2012/02/08/david-wilson-2012-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

Here is what we got or hopefully have to look forward to. Not too shabby. I think Wilson will be fine. What his flaws are can be taught.

With the exception of him running backwards about 900 yards.

Red Barron
09-13-2012, 05:06 PM
Is this even a question? Martin is a beast, David Wilson is a cry baby fumbling machine.

BlueSanta
09-13-2012, 05:21 PM
Now, call me crazy but I am going to propose radical idea.

BOTH martin and Wilson are going to be very good backs in the league. My personal belief is that early on Martin will get the edge because he is more NFL ready. But Wilson is 2.5 years younger and has a very bright future. In the end, I think we will be very happy we chose Wilson.

I also think each guy went to the team that best suits them. The Bucs needed a NFL ready back and we like to build long term through the draft.

As I have said for some time, last year's RB class will have several guys who make their mark on this league.

CarlNicks
09-13-2012, 05:51 PM
Well, thankfully Wilson and Martin both have powerful, experienced and talented LGs who can open up holes for them. Here in Tampa, I'm known as a complete, smart offenisve lineman capable of creating holes at will. It's good to know that the Giants offensive line has similar...

Oh, wait. Nevermind.

JavaBuc
09-13-2012, 08:23 PM
One thing I did not like about Wilson though is he wasn't patient as a runner at VT. If the hole did not open up right away, he would go east-west a lot instead of getting the sure 2-3 yards he would get by running downhill. That kind of running won't cut it in the NFL, but I am sure he is being coached to not do that.

That kind of running worked with Barry Sanders though.

Rat_bastich
09-13-2012, 11:05 PM
Why can't both be good? Barry Sanders was in the league the same time that Emmitt Smith and Rodney Hampton and a whole host of others were in. If Wilson works for the Giants then good. If Martin works for the Bucs...then good for them...and bless their little hearts.