PDA

View Full Version : Fewell not so bad as everyone thinks

Harooni
12-15-2011, 07:12 PM
You all have to factor in the offenses turnovers , sp teams play and the defenses sacks and turnovers. Also you have to consider we were working with tight cap space thus not having the luxury of going after some stud LB's .

We just beat Dallas and that was a big win, and they made the stops they needed to win the game.

jgrangers11
12-15-2011, 07:24 PM
Wow. They gave up 34 points, it would've been more and we would've lost the game had Romo not overthrown Austin on that last play. This was a game filled with defensive breakdowns and, again, very little pressure on Romo. Don't try to make it sound like the defense played well on Sunday.

myles2424
12-15-2011, 07:26 PM
If fewell not as bad as everyone thinks, then this D just flatout sucks....we can be passed on,ran on,guys look lost & confused....so Idk if its possible our once strong point just all a sudden turned Into a buncha bums...

TheAngryTuna
12-15-2011, 07:26 PM
I know there are a ton of injuries this year, but isn't a defence supposed to play better during the second year with the same DC?

TheAngryTuna
12-15-2011, 07:27 PM
Okay but if the player are not able to execute your scheme, you have to develop a new one, not continue doing the same thing over and over hoping that the players will eventually get it.

This is IMO the most important thing about Fewell, he lacks the ability to adjust.

egyptian420
12-15-2011, 07:29 PM
You all have to factor in the offenses turnovers , sp teams play and the defenses sacks and turnovers. Also you have to consider we were working with tight cap space thus not having the luxury of going after some stud LB's .

We just beat Dallas and that was a big win, and they made the stops they needed to win the game.

+1...I've been saying this for a while now. Last year when our defense wasn't so decimated by injuries we we're top 5 all year until the last couple weeks. Everyone was in love with the guy up until that 4th quarter against the eagles.

I think once we get Goff and hopefully another LB (in draft or FA), we can go back to being a good defense. Only issue I have with him is the constant 3 man rushes, but I can live with those if we can get back to playing like last year.

MattMeyerBud
12-15-2011, 07:29 PM

they got lucky Romo missed Miles

Harooni
12-15-2011, 07:37 PM

Come on MMB your not being fair . We have some Defenders playing with injuries, we dont have the Kawika mitchells anymore.

Yes I thought we they could have played better, but they kept Romo pretty much under control.

MattMeyerBud
12-15-2011, 07:38 PM

Come on MMB your not being fair . We have some Defenders playing with injuries, we dont have the Kawika mitchells anymore.

Yes I thought we they could have played better, but they kept Romo pretty much under control.

i nwhat world did we keep Romo under control? He threw for 320 and 4 lol....

not to mention we made Felix Jones look like adrian peterson

MattMeyerBud
12-15-2011, 07:39 PM
(BTW thanks, LESS THAN AN HOUR!!!)

Harooni
12-15-2011, 07:40 PM

lol i was doing some ebay crap, so i figured id keep this window on the side and throw you a bone here and there.

MattMeyerBud
12-15-2011, 07:41 PM

lol i was doing some ebay crap, so i figured id keep this window on the side and t<font size="6">hrow you a bone </font>here and there.

i know it was harmless... but still flashes of Tiki in a speedo just haunted me for a half second after I read that

buddy33
12-15-2011, 07:42 PM
Right after Goff was lost for the season I started a thread about it possibly being a long season and some did not like hearing it. Well, what do you expect? They starts the season with Ross as their #2 CB. With out injuries they would have had TT starting there with Witherspoon looking better that Ross and to bad for the Prince injury because he has shown flashes in his limited playing time this year. Ross may not have made the cut if those injuries don't happen. Well they did, and even when a guy like Coe was playing well he was lost for the season. As far as LB, Boley is very good, Kiwi is a DE, and Goff was lost for the year. Even Sintim was lost for the year and say what you want, Carl Banks was saying he looked good in practice. So now they where left with using rookies that where all drafted late or picked as FA's. Doesn't mean they won't make it, but they are projects.

Then we all thought the DL was going to be good enough to help put pressure on the QB's and make the defense look better. Well Tuck has been hurt since the Jets pre season game, Austin was lost in pre season, and Osi has been in and out all year.

What do you people expect him to do with what he has? Their only hope is to maybe make the playoffs somehow Tuck getting healthier for the post season. Then hopefully Prince picks up some valuable time the next 3 games. Maybe they switch Kiwi back to DE and go with Boley, Blackburn, and Williams at LB.

The break downs for big gains against the secondary came the last game and a half since KP was injured. Hopefully that ends this week.

NYG216
12-15-2011, 07:42 PM
Harooni, I thought you were better than this.

1) If Manningham catches that TD, I would bet that it would give Romo enough time to either score a TD to end it or at least kick the field goal.

2) If they make that field goal at the end of the game (blocking which had nothing to do with Fewell) and they win the toss... do you have ANY confidence that this D would make a stop in OT?

Harooni
12-15-2011, 07:43 PM

Romo is a lot better than the fans here like to think. He isnt rex grossman, he can zap you if he is out of the pocket and throws well on the run.

granted our secondary looks a bit soft at times. i think its lack of LB playing the pass.

Harooni

Romo is a lot better than the fans here like to think. He isnt rex grossman, he can zap you if he is out of the pocket and throws well on the run.

granted our secondary looks a bit soft at times. i think its lack of LB playing the pass.

MattMeyerBud
Right after Goff was lost for the season I started a thread about it possibly being a long season and some did not like hearing it. Well, what do you expect? They starts the season with Ross as their #2 CB. With out injuries they would have had TT starting there with Witherspoon looking better that Ross and to bad for the Prince injury because he has shown flashes in his limited playing time this year. Ross may not have made the cut if those injuries don't happen. Well they did, and even when a guy like Coe was playing well he was lost for the season. As far as LB, Boley is very good, Kiwi is a DE, and Goff was lost for the year. Even Sintim was lost for the year and say what you want, Carl Banks was saying he looked good in practice. So now they where left with using rookies that where all drafted late or picked as FA's. Doesn't mean they won't make it, but they are projects.

Then we all thought the DL was going to be good enough to help put pressure on the QB's and make the defense look better. Well Tuck has been hurt since the Jets pre season game, Austin was lost in pre season, and Osi has been in and out all year.

What do you people expect him to do with what he has? Their only hope is to maybe make the playoffs somehow Tuck getting healthier for the post season. Then hopefully Prince picks up some valuable time the next 3 games. Maybe they switch Kiwi back to DE and go with Boley, Blackburn, and Williams at LB.

The break downs for big gains against the secondary came the last game and a half since KP was injured. Hopefully that ends this week.

no doubt we are plagued with injuries... but u can't say the performance hasn't been as bad as we think it is...

MattMeyerBud
12-15-2011, 07:45 PM

no i am with you on that. Romo is a very good player. He may not be the guy you want to give the ball in the last two minutes of a game, but for the 58 other minutes hes VERY solid. But all of that is moot, he still threw for 320 and 4. Thats not containing somebody.

I think most of it is from miscommunication. How many blown coverages have we had that led to big plays? More than the average bear (insert Hurd coke joke)

Harooni
12-15-2011, 07:47 PM

bravo well put

Eli2Nicks612
12-15-2011, 07:49 PM

Offensive turnovers- The Giants are 17th in the league in turnovers, which is average.

Special teams- Weatherford has been great this year pinning opponents inside their 20. He's given the defense great field position to stop the offense.

Sacks/Turnovers- The Giants are 8th in the league in turnovers, but have only gotten 6 over their past 5 games, when they've played the best teams. They are 6th in the league in sacks with 36, but they've only gotten 8 in the past five games.

They don't have the cap space to go after stud LB's and they've been decimated by injuries, but they're still loaded with talent. JPP, Tuck, Osi, Canty, Joseph, Boley, Kiwanuka, Webster, Rolle, Philips. There's a lot of talent and they should be playing much better than they are.

Sure the Cowboys had a three and out to give us the chance to take the lead, but if they were able to get a stop on one of the other drives when the Cowboys were marching down the field on 80 yard drives it wouldn't have come to that. And we were still a coin flip away from going to overtime.

So, either the players just aren't as good as they've proven in previous years, or Fewell sucks. Take your pick.

Harooni
12-15-2011, 07:49 PM

1) If Manningham catches that TD, I would bet that it would give Romo enough time to either score a TD to end it or at least kick the field goal.

2) If they make that field goal at the end of the game (blocking which had nothing to do with Fewell) and they win the toss... do you have ANY confidence that this D would make a stop in OT?

I do understand but from the coaches view you can see he had a lot to deal with this season.

Harooni
12-15-2011, 07:51 PM

Offensive turnovers- The Giants are 17th in the league in turnovers, which is average.

Special teams- Weatherford has been great this year pinning opponents inside their 20. He's given the defense great field position to stop the offense.

Sacks/Turnovers- The Giants are 8th in the league in turnovers, but have only gotten 6 over their past 5 games, when they've played the best teams. They are 6th in the league in sacks with 36, but they've only gotten 8 in the past five games.

They don't have the cap space to go after stud LB's and they've been decimated by injuries, but they're still loaded with talent. JPP, Tuck, Osi, Canty, Joseph, Boley, Kiwanuka, Webster, Rolle, Philips. There's a lot of talent and they should be playing much better than they are.

Sure the Cowboys had a three and out to give us the chance to take the lead, but if they were able to get a stop on one of the other drives when the Cowboys were marching down the field on 80 yard drives it wouldn't have come to that. And we were still a coin flip away from going to overtime.

So, either the players just aren't as good as they've proven in previous years, or Fewell sucks. Take your pick.
its a good post, however i will say that half those guys you listed as fewells weapons are playing injured or not playing every week.

buddy33
12-15-2011, 07:55 PM
Well I didn't say anything about their performance, but now that you bring it up I will. The Saints game was bad, but that I Waldo not uncommon in that dome to most teams. I thought thh had a chance to do something when JPP stopped the Saints on that fake field goal and the Giants started to march the ball down field. I think that interception hurt, didn't lose them the game, but hurt because in thag dome against Brees you have to take advantage of what the defense does give you. Anyway, bad game.

The Green Bay game I thought the defense was not that bad. The final drive of course was but that was a direct result of injuries to the secondary. Had the refs not blown 2 TD calls and also did not call those 2 very soft 3rd down penalties on the Giants defense they may have even won that game.

Last week yeah, they where not great, but it seems clear they missed KP. Say KP is there and they don't get that 50 yard gift Romo has a 270 yard day.

I'm not saying they are playing good. I'm saying what did you expect.

MattMeyerBud
12-15-2011, 08:00 PM
Well I didn't say anything about their performance, but now that you bring it up I will. The Saints game was bad, but that I Waldo not uncommon in that dome to most teams. I thought thh had a chance to do something when JPP stopped the Saints on that fake field goal and the Giants started to march the ball down field. I think that interception hurt, didn't lose them the game, but hurt because in thag dome against Brees you have to take advantage of what the defense does give you. Anyway, bad game.

The Green Bay game I thought the defense was not that bad. The final drive of course was but that was a direct result of injuries to the secondary. Had the refs not blown 2 TD calls and also did not call those 2 very soft 3rd down penalties on the Giants defense they may have even won that game.

Last week yeah, they where not great, but it seems clear they missed KP. Say KP is there and they don't get that 50 yard gift Romo has a 270 yard day.

i expected more disciplin and knowledge....

I agree we're banged up bad, but I do still think we have talent out there that is not playing as good as it can.

bansaw
12-15-2011, 08:07 PM
this Defense is pathetic

MattMeyerBud
12-15-2011, 08:07 PM
this Defense is pathetic

you canucks are so mean and rude

NYG216
12-15-2011, 08:09 PM

I do understand but from the coaches view you can see he had a lot to deal with this season.

Yeah but you have to work with what you have. We can't judge him any other way.

MattMeyerBud
12-15-2011, 08:11 PM
i think the way you have to judge is by asking yourself this one question:

With the players that ARE there, are they playing up to their abilities?

I don't think they are

JMFP2
12-15-2011, 08:13 PM

I'm not going to flame you on this, Harooni. Frankly, I think you might have a point.

But, if we come to that conclusion on Fewell, I think fans need to revisit Bill Sheridan.

In fact, Bill Sheridan might turn out to be a "better" (stats-wise) DC than Fewell:

If the Giants keep going at this clip, they will break Sheridan's record for most points given up in a season, and also finish #30 or worse in the NFL (Sheridan, amazingly, had a #13 unit in yards per game).

yatitle
12-15-2011, 08:13 PM

its a good post, however i will say that half those guys you listed as fewells weapons are playing injured or not playing every week.

Why is it that the quality defensive teams in the league ( Steelers, Ravens, dare I say the Jets) every year seem to be able to overcome injuries and not embarass themselves to the extent that Fewell's unit has this year?

Now you are correct in your statement regarding the quality of the QBs we have played in the last 3 weeks. If the "D" can't look significantly better against Grossman and Sanchez the next 2 weeks then absolutely NO excuses.

JMFP2
12-15-2011, 08:17 PM
If the "D" can't look significantly better against Grossman and Sanchez the next 2 weeks then absolutely NO excuses.

Exactly....the book on Fewell is still being written. The first volume (last year) was okay. The second volume completely sucks, but there are at least 3 chapters left.

MattMeyerBud
12-15-2011, 08:21 PM
alrite im out

thanks rooni - u rock

barran21
12-15-2011, 08:22 PM
<div id="post_message_33496061" class=" post">

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/newsfeed/000/201/508/221435NothingtodoHereGifMadethiscuzIwas2479d828227 23.gif?1321553488
</div>

RobCarpenter
12-15-2011, 09:01 PM

</P>

OK clown...</P>

bansaw
12-15-2011, 09:35 PM

I'm not going to flame you on this, Harooni. Frankly, I think you might have a point.

But, if we come to that conclusion on Fewell, I think fans need to revisit Bill Sheridan.

In fact, Bill Sheridan might turn out to be a "better" (stats-wise) DC than Fewell:

If the Giants keep going at this clip, they will break Sheridan's record for most points given up in a season, and also finish #30 or worse in the NFL (Sheridan, amazingly, had a #13 unit in yards per game).
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_16noOQI-C9g/S0J1NL-14WI/AAAAAAAAEo0/S1dX4z_r_m4/s400/fg.jpg

GMENAGAIN
12-15-2011, 10:17 PM

</P>

There is no way that you actually believe this. As usual, just making silly inflammatory statements to try to generate the most possible postsfor your thread . . . . . </P>

giantsforce
12-15-2011, 10:36 PM

Why is it that the quality defensive teams in the league ( Steelers, Ravens, dare I say the Jets) every year seem to be able to overcome injuries and not embarass themselves to the extent that Fewell's unit has this year?

Now you are correct in your statement regarding the quality of the QBs we have played in the last 3 weeks. If the "D" can't look significantly better against Grossman and Sanchez the next 2 weeks then absolutely NO excuses.
Maybe because they do not have Fewell as their DC? I do not understand why would anyone defend Fewell. Just look how opposing QB's are torching his defense even when we win. It is not hard to figure it out people. Whatever Fewell's plan is, if he has one, it is not working. How can you be last in the NFL?

EJ Blue
12-15-2011, 11:00 PM
all I'm saying is, Kim Kardashian can probably throw the ball on this team for about 200 yards right now. Whatever Fewell is doing isn't the answer.

buddy33
12-15-2011, 11:05 PM

i expected more disciplin and knowledge....

I agree we're banged up bad, but I do still think we have talent out there that is not playing as good as it can.

They have talent, but they are banged up as well. Tuck being banged up hurts their chances of getting pressure o the QB. Osi too. Kiwi is talented but playing out of position. So is Rolle because they are struggling at LB. After Webster they have Ross. Enough said. Prince will be fine but what can we expect from him? Williams will be fine too but he is a rookie and still learning.

giantsfan420
12-16-2011, 12:22 AM
wow...horrible original post.

the offense has what, like 14 turnovers total? 12 ints and what like 3 lost fumbles?

ST has done a very good job in coverage.

and the giants didnt get any stops, the cowboys and romo stopped themselves by missing on a wide open pass that would have sealed the win for them.

everything about this post, from title to the last word, is categorically incorrect and honestly just juvenile.

im not gonna judge fewell just yet bc he can still turn this around...but yes, he has been as bad as people thought up until this point.

i think the original post was just a way to try and sneak in a low blow to the offense and eli in particular bc harooni hasnt seen any warranted criticisms of eli/the offense and we all know how that literally eats away at him

yatitle
12-16-2011, 09:11 AM
all I'm saying is, Kim Kardashian can probably throw the ball on this team for about 200 yards right now. Whatever Fewell is doing isn't the answer.

Not sure if Kim could throw for 200, but if Boothe goes down I'm convinced she could step in at center and no one would be able to see the difference

MattMeyerBud
12-16-2011, 09:13 AM

Not sure if Kim could throw for 200, but if Boothe goes down I'm convinced she could step in at center and no one would be able to see the difference

she can be the center

i'll be the quarterback

Harooni
12-16-2011, 09:20 AM

she can be the center

i'll be the quarterback

i prefer Kourtney myself

Harooni
12-16-2011, 09:24 AM

the offense has what, like 14 turnovers total? 12 ints and what like 3 lost fumbles?

and the giants didnt get any stops, the cowboys and romo stopped themselves by missing on a wide open pass that would have sealed the win for them.

everything about this post, from title to the last word, is categorically incorrect and honestly just juvenile.

im not gonna judge fewell just yet bc he can still turn this around...but yes, he has been as bad as people thought up until this point.

i think the original post was just a way to try and sneak in a low blow to the offense and eli in particular bc harooni hasnt seen any warranted criticisms of eli/the offense and we all know how that literally eats away at him

no its not a dig at Eli , he isnt the whole offense (as some of you imagine) it isnt his fault if a back fumbles or oline doesnt block or wr/te misplays the ball and it gets inted.

this thread is about the D ,and how you have to factor everything in before we judge the man. Injuries and lack of FA pick ups stand out to me.

daynemustgo
12-16-2011, 09:26 AM

no its not a dig at Eli , he isnt the whole offense (as some of you imagine)* it isnt his fault if a back fumbles or oline doesnt block or wr/te misplays the ball and it gets inted.

this thread is about the D ,and how you have to factor everything in before we judge the man.* Injuries and lack of FA pick ups stand out to me.

I dont know if Buddy Ryan could get more out of this group. Too many injuries, players making poor decisions, mediocre talent, etc.

Harooni
12-16-2011, 09:29 AM
I dont know if Buddy Ryan could get more out of this group. Too many injuries, players making poor decisions, mediocre talent, etc.

umm i agree, but not lovin the new avatar. [:@]

MattMeyerBud
12-16-2011, 09:29 AM

she can be the center

i'll be the quarterback

i prefer Kourtney myself

im down for etiher - just not their defensive end sister...

daynemustgo
12-16-2011, 09:31 AM

I dont like it either but I am being punished

Harooni
12-16-2011, 09:31 AM

she can be the center

i'll be the quarterback

i prefer Kourtney myself

yeah she has man hands. but she is rich though.

MattMeyerBud
12-16-2011, 09:32 AM

she can be the center

i'll be the quarterback

i prefer Kourtney myself

yeah she has man hands. but she is rich though.

reverse gold digger - i like it

Harooni
12-16-2011, 09:32 AM

ok then i understand. good ole delicreep huh?

daynemustgo
12-16-2011, 09:35 AM

ok then i understand.* good ole delicreep huh?

good ole delicreep

Harooni
12-16-2011, 09:51 AM
this Defense is pathetic

Well you have to look at fewell last season, he did very well. we have guys on the field that arent even 100 percent. and with the The offenses help we are still winning games.

burier
12-16-2011, 10:22 AM

Something tells me you're baiting but I'll bite.

The offense has not turned the ball over an inordinate number of times this year. Eli's INTS are down this year as are Bradshaw and the entire teams fumbles.

So did you think that point over or...

And cap space is an excuse for blown coverages?

I grant you that JR for whatever reason has done nothing to improve our backers other than forcing Kiwi to play out of position but thats not an excuse for Fewell.

You also forget that Boley has missed only 1 game this season and he's having far and away his best year as a Giant.

I think if we're going to use injuries or cap space as an excuse for our putrid defense we're reaching a bit.

Harooni
12-16-2011, 11:08 AM

The offense has not turned the ball over an inordinate number of times this year. Eli's INTS are down this year as are Bradshaw and the entire teams fumbles.

I grant you that JR for whatever reason has done nothing to improve our backers other than forcing Kiwi to play out of position but thats not an excuse for Fewell.

You also forget that Boley has missed only 1 game this season and he's having far and away his best year as a Giant.

I think if we're going to use injuries or cap space as an excuse for our putrid defense we're reaching a bit.

no baiting, real talk

the offense has done a great job improving the fumbles and int's (all of them) however it still effects the D when it does happen. when you are -2 in the turnover battle you arent likely to win. WHY? because that puts pressure on your D in 2 ways. puts them back on the field and also gives the other team easier points to get.

Now as for the injuries and cap space that has to factor in as well. one only has to look at our D last season to realize its not really fewell.

MattMeyerBud
12-16-2011, 11:14 AM

no baiting, real talk

the offense has done a great job improving the fumbles and int's (all of them) however it still effects the D when it does happen. when you are -2 in the turnover battle you arent likely to win. WHY? because that puts pressure on your D in 2 ways. puts them back on the field and also gives the other team easier points to get.

Now as for the injuries and cap space that has to factor in as well. one only has to look at our D last season to realize its not really fewell.

okay but while the offense has cut back, the defense has cut back as well, probably twice as hard, on GETTING the turnovers.

Its hard to make the case about turnovers when we are middle of the pack in comparison to the rest of the league and the defense isn't taking the ball away

Harooni
01-26-2012, 01:09 AM
oh this a good bump [;)]

TheEnigma
01-26-2012, 01:18 AM
oh this a good bump** [;)]
Yeaaaahhhh, that's my boy Harooni proving them "haters" wrong :P

Harooni
01-26-2012, 01:22 AM
oh this a good bump [;)]
Yeaaaahhhh, that's my boy Harooni proving them "haters" wrong :Pwell many believed in the Offense, but very few believed our D like i did.

thank you

TheEnigma
01-26-2012, 01:26 AM
oh this a good bump** [;)]
Yeaaaahhhh, that's my boy Harooni proving them "haters" wrong :Pwell many believed in the Offense, but very few believed our D like i did.

thank you
While the offense did carry more of the burden this year, I think we should really take a look at the schedule and see which teams we played with good offense.

Saints
Packers
Patriots
Cowboys x2
Eagles x2
Bills (at the time)

All of the injuries and not having all of our Pro DE guys at full strength really hurt. We now see how important that has been for us.

Also, I'm positive that our run defense wouldn't look as bad if we had Goff and TT2 playing this year. They were both pretty good against the run.

gumby742
01-26-2012, 08:27 AM
I'm still not sold on Fewell. You don't just stink the entire regular season and somehow turn it on because "you got healthier".</P>

If you make the jump from average to good because you got healthier, that's fine. But if you go from worst to good, that just shows you don't know how to make adjustments based on the people you have to work with. It's like he insisted on trying to fit a square peg into a round hole - even though he knew it already wouldn't fit.</P>

galaxy10
01-26-2012, 08:48 AM
I'm still not sold on Fewell. You don't just stink the entire regular season and somehow turn it on because "you got healthier".</p>

If you make the jump from average to good because you got healthier, that's fine. But if you go from worst to good, that just shows you don't know how to make adjustments based on the people you have to work with. It's like he insisted on trying to fit a square peg into a round hole - even though he knew it already wouldn't fit.</p>

I agree with you. Fewell has simplified the zone coverages. You can still see break downs in the zone schemes. He is also not using that dreaded three man rush. He is now using schemes that play to our strengths (the defensive line) Yes, the players are getting healthy, but his schemes were not designed for his players. He also stuck with the three man line too long. His game time adjustments are almost non-existent. I am not sold on this guy. There is some real talent on the D, I dont think he is using them to their full capabilities. Now, I don't have personal contact with the guys, so I really don't know how smart they are. So, my analysis may be completely flawed. I do think the three man defense was horrible no matter the intelligence or lack thereof of the players.

buddy33
01-26-2012, 08:55 AM
Even when they where rushing 4 they where not getting pressure. This defense changed when Tuck said he was better. He is a top 5 DE, maybe even a top 5 defensive player in this league when healthy. When he was a non factor they struggled. With him playing better, the defense is better.

As I said earlier in the thread, when KP was out they where having major breakdowns in the secondary. Notice how that has improved? Osi is back and they have improved even more. Rookies have more experience now. The players said they are trusting the other players more.

It was posted that they where the 3rd hardest hit defensive unit in the last 10 years as far as injuries go.