PDA

View Full Version : Bill Cowher on Boomer (sans Carton) Right Now

krygny
12-16-2011, 09:01 AM
He'll be there for the next hour or so. At least Carton isn't there to ruin it so it's worth a listen.

And on the subject of Cowher becoming the Giants coach, I think there's ZERO chance of it. He has no desire to get back into coaching, and why would he [want to take a cut in pay, work ten times the hours, have no life, be abused by the press and the fans, etc. ...]?

SweetZombieJesus
12-16-2011, 09:41 AM
Why would he? It's in the blood.

Why did Parcells un-retire 3x?

yoeddy
12-16-2011, 09:48 AM
Why would he?* It's in the blood.

A costly divorce?

yoeddy
12-16-2011, 09:58 AM
I think a lot of coaches will look at how the local media and fans treat Coughlin and will be turned off by the idea of coming to the Giants...

ashleymarie
12-16-2011, 10:04 AM
I think a lot of coaches will look at how the local media and fans treat Coughlin and will be turned off by the idea of coming to the Giants...

It's a tough town to shine.

MattMeyerBud
12-16-2011, 10:07 AM

It's a tough town to shine.

but the greatest to shine in

MattMeyerBud
12-16-2011, 10:08 AM
He'll be there for the next hour or so. At least Carton isn't there to ruin it there so it's worth a listen.

And on the subject of Cowher becoming the Giants coach, I think there's ZERO chance of it. He has no desire to get back into coaching, and why would he [want to take a cut in pay, work ten times the hours, have no life, be abused by the press and the fans, etc. ...]?

you don't know what he loves to do. To be an NFL coach you have to be obsessive with it. They live for it. He got a nice break from the grind of it, is it really THAT ridic to think that hes just waiting for a situation he likes.

miked1958
12-16-2011, 10:08 AM
Yes unlike most Cities in this Country (maybe boston, Chicago but not as much as here) you are constantly under a HUGE microscope for every move you make, good or bad. And the BAD ones get magnified 100x more then they sometimes should. </P>

Tell will tell. We wont know until such time that TC gets fired or Retires to see which Coaches are interested and which ones are contacted for interviews</P>

MattMeyerBud
12-16-2011, 10:11 AM
Yes unlike most Cities in this Country (maybe boston, Chicago but not as much as here) you are constantly under a HUGE microscope for every move you make, good or bad. And the BAD ones get magnified 100x more then they sometimes should. </p>

Tell will tell. We wont know until such time that TC gets fired or Retires to see which Coaches are interested and which ones are contacted for interviews</p>

haha even when things aren't that bad, there is always a target that gets it no matter what. Eli has recently just shook that target

krygny
12-16-2011, 10:13 AM
I don't know about that. If you want to coach in the NFL, there's no job that is coveted more than head coach of the New York Football Giants. A class organization that always treats people with respect and fairness. If you're a candidate, and you have offers from any number of teams, and one of them is the Giants, you're picking the Giants. Hands down. The Giants can write their ticket. They will get their pick when Coughlin retires/is fired.

Hey, AP just showed up. Maybe he'll say something stupid.

yatitle
12-16-2011, 10:14 AM

Uh the money? He has to pay the former Mrs. Parcells and foot his own enormous food bill.

GmanSenior
12-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Yes unlike most Cities in this Country (maybe boston, Chicago but not as much as* here) you are constantly under a HUGE microscope for every move you make, good or bad. And the BAD ones get magnified 100x more then they sometimes should. </P>

Tell will tell. We wont know until such time that TC gets fired or Retires to see which Coaches are interested and which ones are contacted for interviews</P>

That's the bad about the Giants. The good, which I think far outweighs the bad, is you have an ownership that is loyal to it's coaches and won't make knee-jerk reactions when it comes to hiring and firing. You sign a contract here and you're pretty much guaranteed a job for four years unless you're a complete dope - a la Ray Handley. But it's all moot anyway. The Giants are playing hard and have a shot at the playoffs. Coughlin isn't going anywhere unless he decides to call it quits.

TuckYou
12-16-2011, 10:23 AM
I don't know about that. If you want to coach in the NFL, there's no job that is coveted more than head coach of the New York Football Giants. A class organization that always treats people with respect and fairness. If you're a candidate, and you have offers from any number of teams, and one of them is the Giants, you're picking the Giants. Hands down. The Giants can write their ticket. They will get their pick when Coughlin retires/is fired.

</P>

He did. He just said the Packers are the best team ever in the history of the NFL... Wow. He does realize they are ranked 31st in defense right? Id say the 2007 Patriots were a much more complete team. Those Pats were beating teams like 63-7 that season. Every game was a complete blowout. Packers are great, but not the greatest ever.</P>

Roosevelt
12-16-2011, 10:33 AM
AP said Eli is playing better then ever. Don't tell Eli's greatest supporters though, they'll never believe it.

PS - The show is so much better without Carton.

MattMeyerBud
12-16-2011, 10:46 AM

</p>

He did. He just said the Packers are the best team ever in the history of the NFL... Wow. He does realize they are ranked 31st in defense right? Id say the 2007 Patriots were a much more complete team. Those Pats were beating teams like 63-7 that season. Every game was a complete blowout. Packers are great, but not the greatest ever.</p>

eh not sure i'd agree with that

i think i'd take the Pack on both sides of the ball

i think its WAYYY too early to crown anybody the greatest of everything

If they win the superbowl i think i'd be alot more open to that discussion

GMENAGAIN
12-16-2011, 10:48 AM
Yes unlike most Cities in this Country (maybe boston, Chicago but not as much as here) you are constantly under a HUGE microscope for every move you make, good or bad. And the BAD ones get magnified 100x more then they sometimes should. </P>

haha even when things aren't that bad, there is always a target that gets it no matter what. <FONT size=4>Eli has recently just shook that target
</FONT></P>

For now . . . . </P>

thegreatone
12-16-2011, 11:14 AM
He'll be there for the next hour or so. At least Carton isn't there to ruin it so it's worth a listen.

i know right i mean why would any announcer/tv sports personality take a pay cut to return to coaching. well except for jim mora going to UCLA, besides that i mean who, well then there's rod woodson going to raiders to be a DB coach. Im sure it wasnt that bad of a pay cut to be a DB coach. so other than those 2 who, wait bill parcells was a coach/tv/coach...what was the question? oh yeah, maybe for the love of the game, Einstein?

not saying he'll be the giants next HC but i never believe any coach when they say stuff like that just like when a NFL HC is rumored for a college gig they always say the same thing then a week later they are coaching in college. If he has any interest in being the giants HC how disrespectful to TC would it be to say he wants to be our HC? EXTREMELY DISRESPECTFUL

burier
12-16-2011, 11:26 AM
AP said Eli is playing better then ever.* Don't tell Eli's greatest supporters though, they'll never believe it.

he forgot to mention that Eli is always playing better than ever. He improves every year.

Roosevelt
12-16-2011, 11:38 AM
AP said Eli is playing better then ever. Don't tell Eli's greatest supporters though, they'll never believe it.

he forgot to mention that Eli is always playing better than ever. He improves every year.

That's your opinion, and I happen to disagree.

Showing improvement is natural progression for a quarterback so I don't get all excited about that. It's expected. Especially when your team is financially committed to you.

Eli made too many rookie-like mistakes last year. That was the issue. If your QB is making those kind of mistakes 7 years in, it's hard to get overly excited about the good stuff. Because we all know he can play great. What we didn't know is if he could overcome the mistakes.

This year he has proven that he can.

MattMeyerBud
12-16-2011, 11:45 AM

Showing improvement is natural progression for a quarterback so I don't get all excited about that. It's expected. Especially when your team is financially committed to you.

Eli made too many rookie-like mistakes last year. That was the issue. If your QB is making those kind of mistakes 7 years in, it's hard to get overly excited about the good stuff. Because we all know he can play great. What we didn't know is if he could overcome the mistakes.

that wasn't the issue at all actually...

bottom line is if a few tipped balls that don't go for interceptions and actually get caught, his numbers would be pretty close to where they are this year.

If you don't want to talk stats about last year, then we can talk wins: 10 win team whose defense blew a 28 point lead with 8 minutes to go in the biggest game of the year.

I feel like im talking to moorehead. Those same "rookie" mistakes are happening this year, the difference is that the plays are being made. He still lofts balls up, still off his back foot, still throws into multi-man coverages.

When he did that last year and the play wasn't made, he would get killed for making "rookie mistakes". Even if the ball go to our WRs and they didn't make a play on it.

This year, its called "pin point accuracy". The difference of view between eli's play between this year and last year has been the results of the plays, which wasn't dependent on him in alot of those cases where he was making "rookie mistakes".

Eli has progressed this year but no where near the amount that some are suggesting. These balls were there last year too. Even in the moment of defending eli i pointed this out to people like moorehead and he was unaccepting of the truth.

burier
12-16-2011, 11:56 AM
AP said Eli is playing better then ever.* Don't tell Eli's greatest supporters though, they'll never believe it.

Showing improvement is natural progression for a quarterback so I don't get all excited about that.* It's expected.* Especially when your team is financially committed to you.

Eli made too many rookie-like mistakes last year.* That was the issue.* If your QB is making those kind of mistakes 7 years in, it's hard to get overly excited about the good stuff.* Because we all know he can play great.* What we didn't know is if he could overcome the mistakes.

I think you lack a touch of specificity.

Lets not forget that last year wasn't Eli's only season. He's shown steady to improvement every year since he's been here. If you want ti write that off then that would be your perogative. I'd dissagree.

His interceptions were up but I'm not really sure what you mean by rookie mistakes.

He had some balls tipped. He forced some other balls but I wouldn't say he made any rookie mistakes and I've said it a million times one season Eli's ints are up...it wasn't the norm.

Eli's already thrown 12 interceptions this year...That's just two less than he threw in 2009 and there's still 3 games to be played.

Its just a matter of fact that 2011 is just another incremental step for Eli that some people are blowing out of purportion to save face.

Roosevelt
12-16-2011, 12:33 PM

bottom line is if a few tipped balls that don't go for interceptions and actually get caught, his numbers would be pretty close to where they are this year.

If you don't want to talk stats about last year, then we can talk wins: 10 win team whose defense blew a 28 point lead with 8 minutes to go in the biggest game of the year.

I feel like im talking to moorehead. Those same "rookie" mistakes are happening this year, the difference is that the plays are being made. He still lofts balls up, still off his back foot, still throws into multi-man coverages.

When he did that last year and the play wasn't made, he would get killed for making "rookie mistakes". Even if the ball go to our WRs and they didn't make a play on it.

This year, its called "pin point accuracy". The difference of view between eli's play between this year and last year has been the results of the plays, which wasn't dependent on him in alot of those cases where he was making "rookie mistakes".

Eli has progressed this year but no where near the amount that some are suggesting. These balls were there last year too. Even in the moment of defending eli i pointed this out to people like moorehead and he was unaccepting of the truth.

I understand where you are coming from but we all have different expectations and things that we like or don't like about any player.

For instance I've never cared much about him throwing off his back foot, unless of course he could have stepped into the pass and didn't, and the end result was an under thrown ball.

I see that that he still throws the ball into coverage at times, but I think he's cut that down from past years. Remember him throwing to Plax no matter how many people were draped on him?

I think his accuracy and timing is much better this year. I think we have never seen him put the ball in a position where receivers could get yardage after the catch as he has this year. So while yes he occasionally still throws the lousy pass, it's far less frequent then in past years.

Eli also had a much greater tendency to make bad plays under pressure. Now I never got down on him for taking chances or trying to make things happen with his left hand for example, unless of course the mistakes were happening too often. But I think he has a greater pocket presence, and sees the field better. He seems to have a better feel for the game. He looks confident out there and his teammates are rallying behind him.

MattMeyerBud
12-16-2011, 12:40 PM

I understand where you are coming from but we all have different expectations and things that we like or don't like about any player.

For instance I've never cared much about him throwing off his back foot, unless of course he could have stepped into the pass and didn't, and the end result was an under thrown ball.

I see that that he still throws the ball into coverage at times, but I think he's cut that down from past years. Remember him throwing to Plax no matter how many people were draped on him?

I think his accuracy and timing is much better this year. I think we have never seen him put the ball in a position where receivers could get yardage after the catch as he has this year. So while yes he occasionally still throws the lousy pass, it's far less frequent then in past years.

Eli also had a much greater tendency to make bad plays under pressure. Now I never got down on him for taking chances or trying to make things happen with his left hand for example, unless of course the mistakes were happening too often. But I think he has a greater pocket presence, and sees the field better. He seems to have a better feel for the game. He looks confident out there and his teammates are rallying behind him.

For nI've never been one to kill Eli over throwing off his back

fair enough.

I disagree that he has cut back on it. I think with Cruz constantly getting open tha tits different, but he has ALWAYS fit balls in VERY tight spots. It was something that was constantly over looked IMO.

I just think that he naturally gets better - but the improvement isn't that dramatic.

I just think thats false, hes always been a 4th quarter guy. He lead the league in 4th quarter comebacks. I just don't agree with your overall assessment of eli in the past- thats why im not surprised hes having this kind of year.

Kruunch
12-16-2011, 12:42 PM

Showing improvement is natural progression for a quarterback so I don't get all excited about that.* It's expected.* Especially when your team is financially committed to you.

Eli made too many rookie-like mistakes last year.* That was the issue.* If your QB is making those kind of mistakes 7 years in, it's hard to get overly excited about the good stuff.* Because we all know he can play great.* What we didn't know is if he could overcome the mistakes.

When he did that last year and the play wasn't made, he would get killed for making "rookie mistakes".* Even if the ball go to our WRs and they didn't make a play on it.

This year, its called "pin point accuracy".* The difference of view between eli's play between this year and last year has been the results of the plays, which wasn't dependent on him in alot of those cases where he was making "rookie mistakes".

Eli has progressed this year but no where near the amount that some are suggesting.* These balls were there last year too. Even in the moment of defending eli i pointed this out to people like moorehead and he was unaccepting of the truth.

Your posts != "truth".

Just an FYI.

And if you've watched Eli last year and this year (and aren't Stevie Wonder) you've noticed a HUGE difference in performance.

Much beyond a "tipped pass here and there ...". Not only the interceptions (which are far fewer due to Eli not throwing as high this year ... hence less tipped passes) but Eli isn't fumbling the ball all over the place like he did last year.

Sheesh some people.

Roosevelt
12-16-2011, 12:47 PM

Lets not forget that last year wasn't Eli's only season. He's shown steady to improvement every year since he's been here. If you want ti write that off then that would be your perogative. I'd dissagree.

His interceptions were up but I'm not really sure what you mean by rookie mistakes.

He had some balls tipped. He forced some other balls but I wouldn't say he made any rookie mistakes and I've said it a million times one season Eli's ints are up...it wasn't the norm.

Eli's already thrown 12 interceptions this year...That's just two less than he threw in 2009 and there's still 3 games to be played.

Its just a matter of fact that 2011 is just another incremental step for Eli that some people are blowing out of purportion to save face.

If that's the case explain why Barry Cofield's comments:

Hes a completely different animal right now, Cofield told Washington reporters Thursday.</p>

Hes playing unbelievable."</p>If he would have played this well last year, Cofield added, we might have given Green Bay a run for their money."

So what exactly does Barry have to save face about?

I described in more detail what I was referring to in my reply to Matt.

As for the INT's, if you look at all the tipped passes you will see that the vast majority of them were off target. So while the receivers did get their hands on them, they weren't easy balls to catch. I'm not saying that's all on Eli because it obviously isn't. But it did lead to turnovers and that is the bottom line.

Eli owned up for every high pass he threw last year. And this year he's throwing the ball better then ever.

I'm not saving any face here. Because if he regresses I'll have no problem discussing that too.

MattMeyerBud
12-16-2011, 12:48 PM

Your posts != "truth".

Just an FYI.

And if you've watched Eli last year and this year (and aren't Stevie Wonder) you've noticed a HUGE difference in performance.

Much beyond a "tipped pass here and there ...". Not only the interceptions (which are far fewer due to Eli not throwing as high this year ... hence less tipped passes) but Eli isn't fumbling the ball all over the place like he did last year.

Sheesh some people.

def protecting the ball better when it comes to fumbling - i'll give u that.

And na, the performance isn't that difference - the numbers are. Players around him making plays they weren't making last year.

Did he get better? Absolutely. To the degree that your suggesting, **** no.

Players making plays and being where they are suppose to be will make a world of difference for any QB's "performance"

your 0/2 in your last two "performances" against me in the boards... i admire your persistance

MattMeyerBud
12-16-2011, 12:49 PM

Hes a completely different animal right now, Cofield told Washington reporters Thursday.</p>

Hes playing unbelievable."</p>If he would have played this well last year, Cofield added, we might have given Green Bay a run for their money."

As for the INT's, if you look at all the tipped passes you will see that the vast majority of them were off target. So while the receivers did get their hands on them, they weren't easy balls to catch. I'm not saying that's all on Eli because it obviously isn't. But it did lead to turnovers and that is the bottom line.

Eli owned up for every high pass he threw last year. And this year he's throwing the ball better then ever.

I'm not saving any face here. Because if he regresses I'll have no problem discussing that too.

now Rosie - are you really trying to use trash talk as a talking point

your better than that

MattMeyerBud
12-16-2011, 12:52 PM

and if you'll notice alot of TDs and receptions were also "OFF TARGET" this year.

Troy Aikman said it best in one game this year, after one of Cruz's bombs into double coverage that he was able grab take to the house he said: Thats the difference between a receiver making the catch. If he throws it up and its incomplete he gets critisized with "What are you thinking", but since it was completed it was "eli putting it where the WR can get it"

and by the fact your going to give me the "off target" argument and then tell me hes playing that much better this year. The differences your seeing in eli, is soley based on his WRs not only making the plays, but in some cases not having them bounce of his hands.

Roosevelt
12-16-2011, 12:53 PM

fair enough.

I disagree that he has cut back on it. I think with Cruz constantly getting open tha tits different, but he has ALWAYS fit balls in VERY tight spots. It was something that was constantly over looked IMO.

I just think that he naturally gets better - but the improvement isn't that dramatic.

I just think thats false, hes always been a 4th quarter guy. He lead the league in 4th quarter comebacks. I just don't agree with your overall assessment of eli in the past- thats why im not surprised hes having this kind of year.

I know we disagree and that's cool.

But look at this fact, Eli has as many 4th quarter comebacks this year as he had in 2008, 2009, &amp; 2010 combined.

I know it's a team game and all, but he's on right now.

MattMeyerBud
12-16-2011, 12:56 PM

fair enough.

I know we disagree and that's cool.

But look at this fact, Eli has as many 4th quarter comebacks this year as he had in 2008, 2009, &amp; 2010 combined.

I know it's a team game and all, but he's on right now.

yea but thats a jaded stat. We have had a crazy *** season

Roosevelt
12-16-2011, 12:56 PM

your better than that

He was needling him but only cause he wasn't this good last year.

Roosevelt
12-16-2011, 01:04 PM

and if you'll notice alot of TDs and receptions were also "OFF TARGET" this year.

Troy Aikman said it best in one game this year, after one of Cruz's bombs into double coverage that he was able grab take to the house he said: Thats the difference between a receiver making the catch. If he throws it up and its incomplete he gets critisized with "What are you thinking", but since it was completed it was "eli putting it where the WR can get it"

and by the fact your going to give me the "off target" argument and then tell me hes playing that much better this year. The differences your seeing in eli, is soley based on his WRs not only making the plays, but in some cases not having them bounce of his hands.

Beckum's TD catch was what about 70 yards but how long was the actual pass? Should we make light of Eli's passing performance because of it?

I'm not arguing that he's been perfect this year. Just much better. [;)]

MattMeyerBud
12-16-2011, 01:15 PM

Beckum's TD catch was what about 70 yards but how long was the actual pass? Should we make light of Eli's passing performance because of it?

I'm not arguing that he's been perfect this year. Just much better. [;)]

i actually do think there is some truth to that

burier
12-16-2011, 01:20 PM

As for the INT's, if you look at all the tipped passes you will see that the vast majority of them were off target.* So while the receivers did get their hands on them, they weren't easy balls to catch.* I'm not saying that's all on Eli because it obviously isn't.* But it did lead to turnovers and that is the bottom line.

Eli owned up for every high pass he threw last year.* And this year he's throwing the ball better then ever.

I'm not saving any face here.* Because if he regresses I'll have no problem discussing that too.

your better than that

Everyone admits that Eli wasn't as good last year...The point is there's no information to suggest that he's leaps and bounds better.

Cofield now plays for the Redskins thus disqualifying his opinion.

Funny how he didn't mention how if HE played better last year the Giants might have had a chance against the Pack.

yoeddy
12-16-2011, 01:31 PM

I disagree...New York is more of a baseball city fan-wise. Football is much more important to midwest and southern towns....Green Bay, Dallas, Chicago, Pittsburgh, etc. The mere fact that Ray Handley and Jim Fassel were given the opportunity to be head coach of the NY Giants is a pretty good indicator that the position isn't the most coveted job in the league...

MattMeyerBud
12-16-2011, 01:31 PM

your better than that

Everyone admits that Eli wasn't as good last year...The point is there's no information to suggest that he's leaps and bounds better.

Funny how he didn't mention how if HE played better last year the Giants might have had a chance against the Pack.

or if HE played better he could of made plays in the last 8 minutes of the game vs philly

burier
12-16-2011, 01:44 PM

realest talk.

Though it has become clear to me that all this whoopla about how Great Eli is this year from fans and anayst is all to with the fact they no one can just say..."Ok. I think I was a little rough on Eli. He wasn't quite as bad as I said he was" and leave it that. They have to pretend that he's been possessed by Dan Marino instead.

As for the INT's, if you look at all the tipped passes you will see that the vast majority of them were off target.* So while the receivers did get their hands on them, they weren't easy balls to catch.* I'm not saying that's all on Eli because it obviously isn't.* But it did lead to turnovers and that is the bottom line.

Eli owned up for every high pass he threw last year.* And this year he's throwing the ball better then ever.

I'm not saving any face here.* Because if he regresses I'll have no problem discussing that too.

your better than that

or if HE played better he could of made plays in the last 8 minutes of the game vs philly

realest talk.

BParcells777
12-16-2011, 01:46 PM

If you believe that I have the deed to the Brooklyn Bridge and Toll rights............I'will sell it to you for a Grand

Roosevelt
12-16-2011, 01:53 PM

your better than that

Just when I think you are credible...

People are talking about him as a potential MVP candidate this year if it wasn't for Rodgers and maybe Brees. But please don't try to tell me that that thought ever entered anyone's mind in past years.