PDA

View Full Version : Letter to the Coaches -- Rookies

Mick Jagger
09-12-2012, 01:10 PM
Head Coach C, Coach G and Coach F:

Listen, guys, love you all for the SB again last year -- after the second Washington loss last year, I didn't think you knew what you were doing. I was wrong!

Now for this year -- like the second Washington loss last year, the loss last week against the Boys was simply unexplainable. Not that we lost, but how poorly we played. I know you all know, much better than me, who played well and who didn't.

But I look around the league's better franchises, and other than here and in GB, I see teams willing to take chances with their rookies. Claiborne in Dallas, Stephen Hill on the Jets, RG on the Redskins -- all played major roles last week in victories. For the NYG, Reuben Randle I don't believe saw the field, David Wilson fumbled and then only returned kicks, I didn't see much of CB Hosley in the secondary. Our first 3 picks.

Now if we were playing well last week, that would be one thing -- but we were not. Not to kick a dead horse, but Cruz looked like his mind was in the Carribean, our secondary was bad virtually across the board, and our running game was putrid but for a handful of plays.

Playing rookies more last week probably wouldn't have changed the result -- but PLEASE think about putting more faith in these 3 this week. The rest of the league is doing it, why not us? And please, don't play Rocky Bernard for 50 snaps -- he's simply not up to it at this point in his career.

Let's hope that Prince A and Marvin A can start contributing this week.

Thanks,

MJ

MattMeyerBud
09-12-2012, 01:11 PM

Listen, guys, love you all for the SB again last year -- after the second Washington loss last year, I didn't think you knew what you were doing. I was wrong!

Now for this year -- like the second Washington loss last year, the loss last week against the Boys was simply unexplainable. Not that we lost, but how poorly we played. I know you all know, much better than me, who played well and who didn't.

But I look around the league's better franchises, and other than here and in GB, I see teams willing to take chances with their rookies. Claiborne in Dallas, Stephen Hill on the Jets, RG on the Redskins -- all played major roles last week in victories. For the NYG, Reuben Randle I don't believe saw the field, David Wilson fumbled and then only returned kicks, I didn't see much of CB Hosley in the secondary. Our first 3 picks.

Now if we were playing well last week, that would be one thing -- but we were not. Not to kick a dead horse, but Cruz looked like his mind was in the Carribean, our secondary was bad virtaully across the board, and our running game was putrid but for a handful of plays.

Playing rookies more last week probably wouldn't have changed the result -- but PLEASE think about putting more faith in these 3 this week. The rest of the league is doing it, why not us? And please, don't play Rocky Bernard for 50 snaps -- he's simply not up to it at this point in his career.

Thanks,

MJ

Hixon did fine as WR 3 and Cruz was the biggest issue with the receivers. If he does what hes suppose to do and make three easy catches the whole game changes

Mick Jagger
09-12-2012, 01:14 PM
I simply don't agree. Dallas mandhandled our defense starting mid 2nd quarter -- nothing the offense could have done would have changed the result in my opinion.

Hixon is an overacheiver like Tyree -- but not even close to Manningham or Randle in talent or potential productivity. Open your eyes.

MattMeyerBud
09-12-2012, 01:16 PM
I simply don't agree. Dallas mandhandled our defense starting mid 2nd quarter -- nothing the offense could have done would have changed the result in my opinion.

Hixon is an overacheiver like Tyree -- but not even close to Manningham or Randle in talent or potential productivity. Open your eyes.

so you don't think that catching balls which would of been keeping drives alives wiht a fresh set of downs instead of punting would of changed the game AT ALL?

alrighty

Tyree an over acheiver? The guy was a life time special teams player who made one GRAET PLAY and then was cut the following year.

MattMeyerBud
09-12-2012, 01:18 PM
and as for letting your rookies go argument, Wilson was getting time until he screwed up and Kuhn got plenty of PT

Mick Jagger
09-12-2012, 01:22 PM
You miss my point -- yes, Tyree and Hixon can be (and have been or were) productive, but when you have someone like Randle, you have to get the plainly better player on the field. And no, I think we would have lost last week even if we made a handful of more plays. There was no evidence we could stop Romo -- even though his O-line is a shambles. Embarassing!

TheAnalyst
09-12-2012, 01:22 PM
I simply don't agree. Dallas mandhandled our defense starting mid 2nd quarter -- nothing the offense could have done would have changed the result in my opinion. Hixon is an overacheiver like Tyree -- but not even close to Manningham or Randle in talent or potential productivity. Open your eyes.I did open my eyes. And saw Hixon make the biggest and toughest catch of the game. Randle may be good one day, but right now, Hixon is the 3rd best wr on the team.

MattMeyerBud
09-12-2012, 01:23 PM
I did open my eyes. And saw Hixon make the biggest and toughest catch of the game. Randle may be good one day, but right now, Hixon is the 3rd best wr on the team.

i agree. Not saying that it will stay that way, but i mean you can't even say that from the preseason games that Randle beat Barden out on the depth charts

Mick Jagger
09-12-2012, 01:23 PM
Believe what you want -- but if we don't play the rookies more this week, we will likely lose again.

MattMeyerBud
09-12-2012, 01:24 PM
You miss my point -- yes, Tyree and Hixon can be (and have been or were) productive, but when you have someone like Randle, you have to get the plainly better player on the field. And no, I think we would have lost last week even if we made a handful of more plays. There was no evidence we could stop Romo -- even though his O-line is a shambles. Embarassing!

but we lost by a touchdown and had drives end early because of drops which gave the cowboys back the ball with field position in which they capitalized. If we keep ONE of those drives alive and score its OBVIOUSLY a completely different game

BJacobs aka The Problem
Honestly, I can't agree with you about the way the coaching staff handles rookies. I think they've done a great job slowly bringing them along, not allowing them to get overwhelmed but instead allowing them to get accustomed to the speed of the game.

Mick Jagger
Barden and Randle aren't in the same league -- if they are, we wasted a 2nd round pick on Randle. Barden is another OK receiver.

MattMeyerBud
09-12-2012, 01:26 PM
Believe what you want -- but if we don't play the rookies more this week, we will likely lose again.

well stop saying rookies, this is obviously just a Randle thread because Hosley, Kuhn, and Wilson all got PT.

I do not blame TC for yanking Wilson at all. The guy had a history of it in college and just spit the bit on his second touch in the pros. THEN he came off the field TOO emotional. While its great to see on of your players play with emotion, it was also not a sign of strength.

Mick Jagger
09-12-2012, 01:27 PM
It doesn't matter what might have happened --it didn't. I'm just urging the coaches to not bury the young guys!

We're all hoping for the same thing!

MattMeyerBud
09-12-2012, 01:28 PM
Barden and Randle aren't in the same league -- if they are, we wasted a 2nd round pick on Randle. Barden is another OK receiver.

again, not at this point.

you have to earn your spot, it doesn't get handed to you. Randle has not earned his PT at this point. And if your proclaiming a rookie's fate by what he is week 2 of his rookie season, then you have alot to learn analyzing how its done in the NFL.

Mick Jagger
09-12-2012, 01:30 PM
Other teams seem to put more trust in rookies then we do -- let our coaches do what they think is best, just trying to help!

Mod_C
09-12-2012, 01:32 PM
I did open my eyes. And saw Hixon make the biggest and toughest catch of the game. Randle may be good one day, but right now, Hixon is the 3rd best wr on the team.

I fairness, Hixon made two pretty darn good catches, one of which he had to wrestle away from a defender and the second he went up for and came down with the ball in traffic.

MattMeyerBud
09-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Other teams seem to put more trust in rookies then we do -- let our coaches do what they think is best, just trying to help!

other teams have to...

and how many other teams have their 2nd rounders as starters?

And not every player is the same, they all progress/regress in different ways and have different situations with other players fighting for spots.

You cna't just throw it all in a box. This team has won two superbowls in 5 years, in which both runs have had rookies HEAVILY contribute for the whole season and the championship. I think your being dramatic and this is all because your just a big Randle fan.

Which for the record I am too, but Hixon played great for us this past week

Mod_C
09-12-2012, 01:33 PM
It doesn't matter what might have happened --it didn't. I

'm just urging the coaches to not bury the young guys!

We're all hoping for the same thing!

This team develops young players. Wilson was given a rare opportunity and he stumbled. Not a life changing event, but serious enough that they now have to be sure e can hold onto the ball.

Mick Jagger
09-12-2012, 01:36 PM
This team develops young players. Wilson was given a rare opportunity and he stumbled. Not a life changing event, but serious enough that they now have to be sure e can hold onto the ball.

Agreed!

giantsfan420
09-12-2012, 01:43 PM
the only thing I can say about hixon/randle is that what the formula was for us last year, imo, was two stud wr's with the 3rd being slightly less than the 2 starters, but more than enough talent to be a dangerous weapon vs the nickel back.

with hixon, solid and reliable (when healthy) he may be. But does he strike anyone here as a legitimate threat that can take over a game? Nicks/Cruz/MM was so great bc even tho MM wasnt the caliber WR of the other two, he was more than capable of using his speed and athleticism to destroy defenses. Hixon doesnt strike me as having that intangible that makes him a nightmare for other defenses. He has good speed, quickness, route running, hands...he's good. But at that 3 spot, we need someone with that intangible (MM it was his speed/quickness) quality that cannot be stopped. Hixon imo can be stopped.

Randle, imo, offers that tangible bc of his speed/size. He is deceptively fast, and has a big frame to win ground going for a ball. If it was my choice between Hixon and being solid all game w/ no real mistakes, but no real big plays on like a 5 catch 45 yd game or Randle, who makes a mistake here n there, and not as consistent, but has like 3 catches for 80 yds and a TD, then I choose Randle. Im not the coach tho and dont know what they do so I'll follow closely. I believe they will bring Randle along until they are 100% confident in him then he'll get a lot more snaps

giantsfan420
09-12-2012, 01:46 PM
With Wilson, TC said it best. We're in the opening game vs a divisional opponent. wilson, as much as i love this kids future, did fumble the ball in their territory. Thats been how TC has generally handled that kind of situation. Wilson will get plenty of snaps as long as he doesnt make a catastrophic mistake and lose his head. Had Wilson not fumbled, he may have had as many if not more carries as Bradshaw. He was in there splitting carries much earlier than i had anticipated.

GMan-67
09-12-2012, 01:50 PM
well we will not give up on Wilson, Randle or Hosley, but we will also not tolerate the fumble Wilson had, especially when we have a big time RB in Bradshaw

so bottom line is Wilson will get another chance this week at RB and if he doesnt fumble, then he will establish his role in the RB rotation

Hosley has the minor (i hope) turf toe, so i would contribute that a little to his playing time, but he has ball skillz and speed, he will absolutely be a big part of our secondary sooner than later

Randle is raw and the stage was pretty big and we were struggling, so i think we decided to try to stay with proven options, but look for Mr. Randle to get out there this week for several snaps and if he makes a big catch, then his role will expand ... remember Cruz was an after thought week 1 last year... and again having WR depth is so important ... remember we actually had Brandon Stokely on our team last year .... i dont see us having to dig that deep this year at WR

giantsfan420
09-12-2012, 01:52 PM
hosely also played a bunch vs dallas as the nickel back. he didnt get beat on at all. didnt hear his name which is always good for corners.

NYGiantBiased
09-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Other teams might not have the option of putting another vet in - so they are forced to go with the rookie. Others believe in throwing them out there and they play day 1, but I would say that our offense and defense do not house simple schemes and while you might be able to walk on for the Bungles - you are going to need to study here for a while.

All of the coverage I have seen over the years leans towards the rookies saying there is a HUGE gap between the first and second years in term of comfort with our playbook and we cannot always afford to bring someone in 100% from day one. The Giants have been developing talent successfully for years. You are just going to have to trust that.

YATittle1962
09-12-2012, 02:12 PM

Now if we were playing well last week, that would be one thing -- but we were not. Not to kick a dead horse, but Cruz looked like his mind was in the Carribean, our secondary was bad virtually across the board, and our running game was putrid but for a handful of plays.

Thanks,

MJ

all 3 players you mentioned played

Wilson fumbled and was given a seat
Randle saw a few snaps and didn't get open
Hosley played some nickel and looked fine

RoanokeFan
09-12-2012, 03:26 PM
all 3 players you mentioned played

Wilson fumbled and was given a seat
Randle saw a few snaps and didn't get open
Hosley played some nickel and looked fine

It's just not the way things are done here to let the rookies run loose.

Dwinsballgames
09-12-2012, 03:32 PM

Apparently the Giants coaching staff feel that Hixon is the better player since he is above Randle on the Depth Chart. But you know better, right?

njg85m
09-12-2012, 03:38 PM
This is getting ridiculous now.

We played terrible against a very good team, and lost. And might I add, despite all of that the game was still close.

It happens. These boards are getting worse and worse by the day. The sky is not falling. The only thing I dislike about being a Giants fan is the fact that anytime the team plays like trash and loses once we see never ending "fire this guy", "so and so needs to retire", "coaches need to play this guy", "Killdrive this, Killdrive that", "Spagnoulo come back!!" threads.