PDA

View Full Version : The loss of Manningham is going to be felt until someone steps up

I Bleed Blue
09-12-2012, 08:20 PM
This is not a debate about him staying or not, but rather who really has the proven separation speed that he did when he was the 3rd option. Truth be told, he was the true burner of the receiving core. Yes, I know, some on this board think he was a dumb, stupid, idiot, jerk, hooked on phonics, short yellow bus receiver. I got that. Some just hated the guy because it made them feel good. Hixon is a nice guy and knows the playbook, but he simply doesn't posses separation speed, nor is he a consistently good route runner. Nice guys don't necessarily get open. He had a nice catch against the Cowboys, but I've re watched that game a few times now, and games from three years ago, and he simply cannot separate on a consistent basis. He also has no upside.

That being said, our opponents actually prepared for Manningham as if he was a number 1 or 2 option. There were games a couple of years ago when Steve Smith and Nicks were both out at the same time and he filled in nicely, with the Giants winning all of those games. Sure he made mistakes. Hasn't Nicks and Cruz? If Ruben Randle is as NFL ready as Reese and Coughlin have stated, then why hamper his development by not starting him immediately as the 3rd option? It makes no sense. You don't think Manningham was critical to our playoff success and second Super Bowl trophy?

I'm tired of hearing about the possible potential of Jernigan and Barden. Let's see it. NOW! Nicks simply does not look ready. His foot could possibly be a season long problem. We need another reliable target who can get open regardless of Nick's status. I think that can be Randle, but we won't know unless Coughlin plays him more. When Nicks was out for a few games in the past, I didn't panic because of Manningham. That underestimated security blanket is gone, so someone had better show and tell ASAP. Oh, and please, don't compare Manningham's current status with SF. It has nothing to do with what he provided for this team. Different team, system and QB.

RoanokeFan
09-12-2012, 08:24 PM
That would be Hixon. You description of his skill sets is in direct opposition to what Eli and the coaching staff say.

I Bleed Blue
09-12-2012, 08:29 PM
That would be Hixon. You description of his skill sets is in direct opposition to what Eli and the coaching staff say.

And yet is has never translated on the field. The eyes don't lie. He's never has a WOW! game.

RoanokeFan
09-12-2012, 08:31 PM
And yet is has never translated on the field. The eyes don't lie. He's never has a WOW! game.

In 2008, with Toomer and S.Smith on the team, he led all receivers. If you watched the game last week and subsequently the tapes provided by Sappineck (sp) you could not conclude he's not a legitimate # 3. Fortunatley, we don't get to decide.

Eliscruzzz
09-12-2012, 08:48 PM
I agree Manningham was Eli's td guy down this the red zone like hixon is not even close to were near Manninham was.... if he was still all three trio of WR's we would dominate people say he was a bad route running which wan't terrible say big play abiltiy against the Falcons, clinching td in GB and I huger 3rd and 15 catch for a td and not to mention the fact him and the greatest every SB catch even though Eli thought he ball perferct I miss Rio a lot;

RoanokeFan
09-12-2012, 08:52 PM
I agree Manningham was Eli's td guy down this the red zone like hixon is not even close to were near Manninham was.... if he was still all three trio of WR's we would dominate people say he was a bad route running which wan't terrible say big play abiltiy against the Falcons, clinching td in GB and I huger 3rd and 15 catch for a td and not to mention the fact him and the greatest every SB catch even though Eli thought he ball perferct I miss Rio a lot;

Hixon is, hands down, a better route runner than Mario.

giantsfan420
09-12-2012, 08:54 PM
i made almost that exact post earlier. our mo was having that 3rd wr be just as dangerous as the first 2. hixon is solid, but he doesnt possess that tangible that makes defenses sweat him.he's a solid, good player, but at that 3rd wr spot, we need an electric guy who can make as big a play as nicks n cruz. MM had that despite his other short comings.Hixon doesnt have that imo.
Randle has deceptive speed, and good size. i think he has the potential to make defenses pay if they dont focus on him. I dont see Barden as an improvement over Hixon. he seems to be a good depth player who can make the occasional catch, altho i hope he can break out a few games. JJ has that electric speed, and I hope he gets some shots, but he doesnt seem ready yet.
So we may need to go with Hixon until Randle/JJ are ready to break out.

I Bleed Blue
09-12-2012, 08:54 PM
Hixon is, hands down, a better route runner than Mario.

You have got to be joking. Right?

slipknottin
09-12-2012, 08:55 PM

Hes right. Manningham never was a consistent route runner. Hixon is a very polished receiver.

RoanokeFan
09-12-2012, 08:55 PM

That's what Gilbride thinks and, yes, I do as well. Mario was not a great route runner. He always had trouble with his sideline routes.

RoanokeFan
09-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Hes right. Manningham never was a consistent route runner. Hixon is a very polished receiver.

I was convinced with those two catches on Wednesday. One he fought for with the defender and the other he went up in traffic and brought it back down for the 1st. Gilbride says he's ALWAYS where he's supposed to be and Eli says he presents a down field option. Works for me :o

I Bleed Blue
09-12-2012, 09:03 PM
That's what Gilbride thinks and, yes, I do as well. Mario was not a great route runner. He always had trouble with his sideline routes.

Please provide a link where Gilbride even remotely stated that Hixon is a better route runner then Rio. Until then, your statement has ZERO credibility.

Joe Morrison
09-12-2012, 09:07 PM
Reciever is not an issue on the Giants right now, Hixon did fine and if Cruz doesn't drop 4 passes and get held in the endzone it's a whole differn't ball game.
Let's see the GMEN play some defense this week.

RoanokeFan
09-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Please provide a link where Gilbride even remotely stated that Hixon is a better route runner then Rio. Until then, your statement has ZERO credibility.

He said what I wrote and I can't ever remember anyone saying that about Mario. He really struggled with his routes. I am horrified you don't trust me.

So we will just agree to disagree on how badly off we are with Mario gone.

Just cause you asked, here's a recent Gilbride quote:

"He's a consummate pro," Gilbride said of Hixon. "He's always going to know exactly what to do. He's always going to be technically very, very sound. He's very dependable. You can trust that he can do the right thing and right now there's no evidence that there's any residual limitations because of his injuries. Anything we've seen is a very positive."

How about you give me one from Gilbride on Mario?

I Bleed Blue
09-12-2012, 09:18 PM
He said what I wrote and I can't ever remember anyone saying that about Mario. He really struggled with his routes. I am horrified you don't trust me.

So we will just agree to disagree on how badly off we are with Mario gone.

Just cause you asked, here's a recent Gilbride quote:

"He's a consummate pro," Gilbride said of Hixon. "He's always going to know exactly what to do. He's always going to be technically very, very sound. He's very dependable. You can trust that he can do the right thing and right now there's no evidence that there's any residual limitations because of his injuries. Anything we've seen is a very positive."

How about you give me one from Gilbride on Mario?

That was not a shot at Manningham and you know it. You are twisting that like a politician. He was simply speaking highly of Hixon. No more, no less. It's obvious that you are one of the Rio haters I mentioned in my post. No need for you and I go back and forth with this. It's obvious now. Thanks.

Evo'Ed
09-12-2012, 09:19 PM
Hixon is a more consistant route runner but MM was/is clearly a better player.

MM can get separation better than Hixon ever can and his YAC was awesome.

The question is as a 3rd WR would you rather have the less talented steady player or the inconsistent explosive player?

IMO MM was a luxury to have considering how explosive our #1 and #2 are.

Just my 2 cents.

RoanokeFan
09-12-2012, 09:26 PM
Hixon is a more consistant route runner but MM was/is clearly a better player.

MM can get separation better than Hixon ever can and his YAC was awesome.

The question is as a 3rd WR would you rather have the less talented steady player or the inconsistent explosive player?

IMO MM was a luxury to have considering how explosive our #1 and #2 are.

Just my 2 cents.

And if Mario was here, he would likely be the # 3, but he's not and, I hear, he's not starting in San Fransisco.

RoanokeFan
09-12-2012, 09:27 PM
That was not a shot at Manningham and you know it. You are twisting that like a politician. He was simply speaking highly of Hixon. No more, no less. It's obvious that you are one of the Rio haters I mentioned in my post. No need for you and I go back and forth with this. It's obvious now. Thanks.

I didn't take a shot at Manningham. At this point in time, he's irrelevant. I simply stated a fact about Hixon's skill sets.

nhpgiantsfan
09-12-2012, 09:39 PM
Clearly Hixon is probably the smarter football player, but MM def has much more physical talent, and is a potential game breaker. Hixon is serviceable, but is not the long term answer as the third WR. And nothing in that Gillbride quote really praises Hixon. Basically just a bunch of, "he is a smart player and a good guy". The kind of stuff every coach says about all of their players.

Even though I think that WR right now is the least of our problems, we were def a much more dangerous offense with MM than we are without him.

RoanokeFan
09-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Clearly Hixon is probably the smarter football player, but MM def has much more physical talent, and is a potential game breaker. Hixon is serviceable, but is not the long term answer as the third WR. And nothing in that Gillbride quote really praises Hixon. Basically just a bunch of, "he is a smart player and a good guy". The kind of stuff every coach says about all of their players.

Even though I think that WR right now is the least of our problems, we were def a much more dangerous offense with MM than we are without him.

What does Mario do for us this season? And if you don't think Gilbride was praising Hixon I don't know what to tell you.

nhpgiantsfan
09-12-2012, 09:57 PM
What does Mario do for us this season? And if you don't think Gilbride was praising Hixon I don't know what to tell you.

Yeah he says he is a good pro, does the right thing, and can be counted on. He makes no mention at all of his actual physical talent.
If you look at the one year that they both played full seasons, it clearly shows who the staff thought was the better player? If you listen to our coaches talk about any player this is the type of stuff they say. They rarely say anything bad about their players.

2009 Manningham 57 rec 822 yards. 2009 Hixon 15rec 187 yards. Both were active for 14 games...

Hixon is the man for the job right now, but we are not better off than last year.

Shockeystays08
09-12-2012, 10:00 PM
This is not a debate about him staying or not, but rather who really has the proven separation speed that he did when he was the 3rd option. Truth be told, he was the true burner of the receiving core. Yes, I know, some on this board think he was a dumb, stupid, idiot, jerk, hooked on phonics, short yellow bus receiver. I got that. Some just hated the guy because it made them feel good. Hixon is a nice guy and knows the playbook, but he simply doesn't posses separation speed, nor is he a consistently good route runner. Nice guys don't necessarily get open. He had a nice catch against the Cowboys, but I've re watched that game a few times now, and games from three years ago, and he simply cannot separate on a consistent basis. He also has no upside.

That being said, our opponents actually prepared for Manningham as if he was a number 1 or 2 option. There were games a couple of years ago when Steve Smith and Nicks were both out at the same time and he filled in nicely, with the Giants winning all of those games. Sure he made mistakes. Hasn't Nicks and Cruz? If Ruben Randle is as NFL ready as Reese and Coughlin have stated, then why hamper his development by not starting him immediately as the 3rd option? It makes no sense. You don't think Manningham was critical to our playoff success and second Super Bowl trophy?

I'm tired of hearing about the possible potential of Jernigan and Barden. Let's see it. NOW! Nicks simply does not look ready. His
foot could possibly be a season long problem. We need another reliable target who can get open regardless of Nick's status. I think that can be Randle, but we won't know unless Coughlin plays him more. When Nicks was out for a few games in the past, I didn't panic because of Manningham. That underestimated security blanket is gone, so someone had better show and tell ASAP. Oh, and please, don't compare Manningham's current status with SF. It has nothing to do with what he provided for this team. Different team,
system and QB.

Randle and separation shouldn't be used in the same sentence.

giantsfan420
09-12-2012, 10:04 PM
lol shockey, u prob havent seen much of his LSU film...he's blowing by DB's so badly that even LSU's dreadful pass game scored points. Randle was like 80% of LSU's pass game.

RoanokeFan
09-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Yeah he says he is a good pro, does the right thing, and can be counted on. He makes no mention at all of his actual physical talent.
If you look at the one year that they both played full seasons, it clearly shows who the staff thought was the better player? If you listen to our coaches talk about any player this is the type of stuff they say. They rarely say anything bad about their players.

2009 Manningham 57 rec 822 yards. 2009 Hixon 15rec 187 yards. Both were active for 14 games...

Hixon is the man for the job right now, but we are not better off than last year.

Let's revisit this conversation in week 17 :)

I Bleed Blue
09-12-2012, 10:20 PM
Randle and separation shouldn't be used in the same sentence.

Do you have some proof to back that statement? Sounds kind of suspect.

RoanokeFan
09-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Do you have some proof to back that statement? Sounds kind of suspect.

Everyone has an opinion, that's his.

bbdynasty
09-12-2012, 10:27 PM
i like hixon. i think we've seen some really good things from him and i don't understand this romanticism of MM.... he was a productive player for us, but imo he gave up on a lot of plays he could've made, and there were times he seemed to lack focus. I feel like Hixon gives it all he's got, every snap. and i like that

RoanokeFan
09-12-2012, 10:30 PM
i like hixon. i think we've seen some really good things from him and i don't understand this romanticism of MM.... he was a productive player for us, but imo he gave up on a lot of plays he could've made, and there were times he seemed to lack focus. I feel like Hixon gives it all he's got, every snap. and i like that

Only time will tell, but he's off to a good start.

NYKiller
09-12-2012, 10:30 PM
Wide receiver is the last position the Giants or anyone should care about right now about. The Giants have enough depth to replace a third WR.

bbdynasty
09-12-2012, 10:32 PM
I am however far less concerned about return duties. Hixon, although it didn't really get him anywhere this past game, still seems to have some shiftiness and quickness with the ball in his hands, and is a sure-handed punt catcher. wilson is explosive as a returner, and i think he will eventually take it to the house. I love returns for td's they're the most exciting plays to me

RoanokeFan
09-12-2012, 10:33 PM
Wide receiver is the last position the Giants or anyone should care about right now about. The Giants have enough depth to replace a third WR.

Until three of them go down :o

RoanokeFan
09-12-2012, 10:35 PM
I am however far less concerned about return duties. Hixon, although it didn't really get him anywhere this past game, still seems to have some shiftiness and quickness with the ball in his hands, and is a sure-handed punt catcher. wilson is explosive as a returner, and i think he will eventually take it to the house. I love returns for td's they're the most exciting plays to me

You know, our coverage team has really improved, but the return team still doesn't block well enough to give the returner a chance to get into gear.

bbdynasty
09-12-2012, 10:37 PM
You know, our coverage team has really improved, but the return team still doesn't block well enough to give the returner a chance to get into gear.

thats true, I'm just saying hixon is a huge upgrade from will blackmon (who had ball security issues) and i think wilson with his speed and determination could be better than jernigan. jj seems timid to me idk...

RoanokeFan
09-12-2012, 10:42 PM
thats true, I'm just saying hixon is a huge upgrade from will blackmon (who had ball security issues) and i think wilson with his speed and determination could be better than jernigan. jj seems timid to me idk...

I agree, I think Hixon's versatility will be good for us this season.

middlecountrygiantsfan
09-12-2012, 11:16 PM
Id say a health Hixon beats Manningham out every time. Runs better routes, faster, more versatile.

This is unrelated but Just for giggles, I looked up their 40 times coming out of college. Hixon had a 4.39 at his pro day and Manningham was 4.42. Manningham also ran a 4.59 at the combine.

bbdynasty
09-12-2012, 11:19 PM
Id say a health Hixon beats Manningham out every time. Runs better routes, faster, more versatile.

This is unrelated but Just for giggles, I looked up their 40 times coming out of college. Hixon had a 4.39 at his pro day and Manningham was 4.42. Manningham also ran a 4.59 at the combine.

wasn't he stoned at the combine? lol

Evo'Ed
09-12-2012, 11:51 PM

Well combine #'s can be very misleading.

The number of big plays MM produced for us would suggest those poor combine #'s are way overblown.

I can't remember any big gain pass Hixon has ever caught compared to MM.

Also didn't Jerry Rice run a 4.60 or something.....he was plenty fast.

Buddy333
09-12-2012, 11:54 PM
Manningham is a very good WR and I do think they will miss him.

moosedrool
09-13-2012, 12:11 AM
3 receptions 55 yards at 18.3 per catch isn't bad for a 3rd receiver.

Here is a video of his best catch in double coverage, extended, takes the hit, then maintains control after hitting the ground hard.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/9/5/3295729/domenik-hixon-catch-video

Looks like someone already stepped up.

RoanokeFan
09-13-2012, 04:02 AM
3 receptions 55 yards at 18.3 per catch isn't bad for a 3rd receiver. Here is a video of his best catch in double coverage, extended, takes the hit, then maintains control after hitting the ground hard. http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/9/5/3295729/domenik-hixon-catch-video Looks like someone already stepped up. What more can we ask?

Captain Chaos
09-13-2012, 06:01 AM
Hixon always had great speed; however, he appears to have been slowed by the knee injuries. That said he has adequate speed for a number 3, runs solid routes and has good hands. That said one game does not give us enough to say anything definitively but he looked pretty good out there to me. He may not have Manningham's speed and quickness but he seems to be doing fine. To be honest I thought about Jacobs that game and not about Manningham.

RoanokeFan
09-13-2012, 07:50 AM
Hixon always had great speed; however, he appears to have been slowed by the knee injuries. That said he has adequate speed for a number 3, runs solid routes and has good hands. That said one game does not give us enough to say anything definitively but he looked pretty good out there to me. He may not have Manningham's speed and quickness but he seems to be doing fine. To be honest I thought about Jacobs that game and not about Manningham.

Wide receiver is not a real area of concern in terms of depth.

OX1
09-13-2012, 09:04 AM
MH was respected by opposing teams like a #2 (or even a #1) when he was playing #3.
Hixon scares no one. Maybe he will, but that will take time. He could go under the radar
for half the season, which could help us out even more than having MH.

My question is what happens when he has to start # 2 (or better, god forbid).
Don't want to hear how many yards he had in 2008, he beat out Toomer by a whopping
16 yards, none of our top 3 WR's had over 600 yards, boss had 3 times as many TD's as hixon.
(heck, the top 3 WR's that year only beat out derrick ward by 200ish yds). There was severe
respect for our running game back then, we are 180 degrees from that team now. All
the 2008 WR's had a heck of an easier time than last year (or this year).

Hope Hixon becomes what MH was, but I sure won't be as giddy about our trio
like I was last year when there was no way any team could cover all three, it was impossible.

BuffyBlueII
09-13-2012, 09:25 AM
Hixon is fine as a 3 reciever but does not stretch defenses the way MM did. Hixon is more focused and folks can argue a bettee route runner but MM has that scary seperation speed that works defenses. This year I think we Eli hit the TE a lot more than he has in previous seasons.

GameTime
09-13-2012, 09:28 AM
MM made his worth known late last season and of course in the SB. The Giants have good depth at WR and will not miss a beat...........

I Bleed Blue
09-13-2012, 09:29 AM
MH was respected by opposing teams like a #2 (or even a #1) when he was playing #3.
Hixon scares no one. Maybe he will, but that will take time. He could go under the radar
for half the season, which could help us out even more than having MH.

My question is what happens when he has to start # 2 (or better, god forbid).
Don't want to hear how many yards he had in 2008, he beat out Toomer by a whopping
16 yards, none of our top 3 WR's had over 600 yards, boss had 3 times as many TD's as hixon.
(heck, the top 3 WR's that year only beat out derrick ward by 200ish yds). There was severe
respect for our running game back then, we are 180 degrees from that team now. All
the 2008 WR's had a heck of an easier time than last year (or this year).

Hope Hixon becomes what MH was, but I sure won't be as giddy about our trio
like I was last year when there was no way any team could cover all three, it was impossible.

This. Well Said. With this teams history of the injury bug, I just don't trust any of the other receivers. We are thinner at this position, at least talent wise, than most realize. As poorly as this team runs the ball, they are going to need to air it out often. No defense is going to spend much time worrying about Hixon. Give Randle his shot now. Why draft him in the second round just to play second fiddle to a receiver who has no upside? How will he learn to excel in his routes or better understand the playbook if he doesn't play? A leaping catch against the Cowboys doesn't mean "problem solved"

RoanokeFan
09-13-2012, 09:38 AM
This. Well Said. With this teams history of the injury bug, I just don't trust any of the other receivers. We are thinner at this position, at least talent wise, than most realize. As poorly as this team runs the ball, they are going to need to air it out often. No defense is going to spend much time worrying about Hixon. Give Randle his shot now. Why draft him in the second round just to play second fiddle to a receiver who has no upside? How will he learn to excel in his routes or better understand the playbook if he doesn't play? A leaping catch against the Cowboys doesn't mean "problem solved" Don't you think the coaches are in the best position to make that call?

GameTime
09-13-2012, 09:41 AM
was praising Hixon and not dogging Mario at all...
stop being an ***.....

GMan-67
09-13-2012, 09:41 AM
MM wanted to be a starter and knew he would never start over Nicks / Cruz, so he didnt want to be here any longer

but he's still not a starter, so that does say something

having said that he is a bonafide playmaker ... both Hixon and Randle and maybe even Jernigan could become that for us ... plus Barden is a big target ... we have the depth at WR and we have the potential playmakers ... really what killed us at WR last week was a bad game by Cruz and Nicks not being 100% ... i expect big contributions from both this week and Hix might just make a key play or two .... he's s gutsy player with some potential clutch factor in him

GameTime
09-13-2012, 09:43 AM
This. Well Said. With this teams history of the injury bug, I just don't trust any of the other receivers. We are thinner at this position, at least talent wise, than most realize. As poorly as this team runs the ball, they are going to need to air it out often. No defense is going to spend much time worrying about Hixon. Give Randle his shot now. Why draft him in the second round just to play second fiddle to a receiver who has no upside? How will he learn to excel in his routes or better understand the playbook if he doesn't play? A leaping catch against the Cowboys doesn't mean "problem solved"
why do think MM did so well.....he was singled up while Cruz and Nicks were doubled.
Look I liked MM but I also like Hixon. They have dif skill sets but both can easily get the #3 job done.....

RoanokeFan
09-13-2012, 09:47 AM
MM wanted to be a starter and knew he would never start over Nicks / Cruz, so he didnt want to be here any longer but he's still not a starter, so that does say something having said that he is a bonafide playmaker ... both Hixon and Randle and maybe even Jernigan could become that for us ... plus Barden is a big target ... we have the depth at WR and we have the potential playmakers ... really what k illed us at WR last week was a bad game by Cruz and Nicks not being 100% ... i expect big contributions from both this week and Hix might just make a key play or two .... he's s gutsy player with some potential clutch factor in him Every player we draft develops at his own pace. They put them on the field and it's up to the player to take advantage.

We're still waiting for Prince to get it together

I Bleed Blue
09-13-2012, 10:09 AM
was praising Hixon and not dogging Mario at all...
stop being an ***.....

You just agreed with me?

Dwinsballgames
09-13-2012, 10:21 AM
I treally don't think the #3 spot is a concern for us. #1 has to get healthy and in game shape and #2 has to get his head outta his *** and start catching balls.

El Jefe
09-13-2012, 10:44 AM
You're overreacting. We have two of the best receivers in the league and a rb that's great catching passes out of the backfield. The only issue on offense is the line.

I do think Mario was a good piece and gave us that three headed monster, but Hixon barring injury is a fine third option. Before his initial knee injury, I though Hixon could be at the very least our second option, so having him be our third option is a plus. Eventually, I see Randle stepping up and becoming that third option.

GameTime
09-13-2012, 11:23 AM
You just agreed with me?
was talking about Ro...
he is not a Rio hater as you put it. He simply feels Hixon is a good sub for MM.....

Redeyejedi
09-13-2012, 11:38 AM
That's what Gilbride thinks and, yes, I do as well. Mario was not a great route runner. He always had trouble with his sideline routes.How many times did Mario run a route and give Eli nowhere to throw the ball along the sideline. i think this Randle kid can be a game breaker down the sideline Im hoping we see it this year

Toadofsteel
09-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Some people have never gotten over Hixon's playoff drop. It's not like he's Matt Dodge... he can actually play his position, you know...

GIANTSED101
09-13-2012, 11:49 AM
I think Mario was a good receiver but that being said I also remember him constantly running the wrong routes. The Super Bowl is a prime example. He made a fabulous catch that helped us win the game. But if my memory serves me right (please correct me if I'm wrong), there was huge play during the game where I believe he was running a seem route and he completely ran the route out of bounds and Eli had to throw the ball out of bounds. When I think of Mario I think of a good player but I also think of an inconsistent player, heck when he was first drafted he had a hard time grasping the play book. I'm also a huge Michigan fan so take that for what it's worth. Hixon is a good route runner and reliable, although his speed and ability might now be at the level of MM I'm still happy to have Hixon as a 3.

BlueSanta
09-13-2012, 12:18 PM

Can we stop complaining over lost players?

MM had 39 receptions last year. That can easily be replaced. He wanted starting WR money and he got it from the 49ers but was never going to get it here with Nicks and Cruz. Keep in mind he isnt starting for them right now either.

Mario's production this week was 4 receptions for 29 yards, and a fumble.
Hixon caught 3 balls for 55 yards.

RoanokeFan
09-13-2012, 12:27 PM
Can we stop complaining over lost players? MM had 39 receptions last year. That can easily be replaced. He wanted starting WR money and he got it from the 49ers but was never going to get it here with Nicks and Cruz. Keep in mind he isnt starting for them right now either. Mario's production this week was 4 receptions for 29 yards, and a fumble. Hixon caught 3 balls for 55 yards. Interesting comparison

Dwinsballgames
09-13-2012, 12:57 PM
Can we stop complaining over lost players?

MM had 39 receptions last year. That can easily be replaced. He wanted starting WR money and he got it from the 49ers but was never going to get it here with Nicks and Cruz. Keep in mind he isnt starting for them right now either.

Stop confusing everyone with facts and logic. Hixon sucks because.... he dropped a pass once and that beard thingy and um he's not new and exciting.

burier
09-13-2012, 01:40 PM
I really hope Hixon doesn't get hurt because some of you will be crushed.

BlueSanta
09-13-2012, 01:45 PM
We drafted a wr in the 2nd. He is going to be the eventual other guy on the outside. Yet you think our future is all hinged on Hixon's health?

Harooni
09-13-2012, 01:46 PM
Not sure #3 WR was the prob in the the dallas game. Hixon is doing fine.

burier
09-13-2012, 01:50 PM
We drafted a wr in the 2nd. He is going to be the eventual other guy on the outside. Yet you think our future is all hinged on Hixon's health?

Nope. I didn't say that at all. It sounds like other people feel that way though. If it were up to me I would have cut ties with Hixon as soon as blew his knee out for the second time. Right now I feel like Hixon is stealing reps from that 2nd round draft pick.

Rudyy
09-13-2012, 01:51 PM
Stop confusing everyone with facts and logic. Hixon sucks because.... he dropped a pass once and that beard thingy and um he's not new and exciting. I agree. Also, how do we know it's going to be felt? because we lost ONE game? Can we play a few more games before we come to that conclusion?

RoanokeFan
09-13-2012, 02:37 PM

No more than any other player

RoanokeFan
09-13-2012, 02:39 PM
Nope. I didn't say that at all. It sounds like other people feel that way though. If it were up to me I would have cut ties with Hixon as soon as blew his knee out for the second time. Right now I feel like Hixon is stealing reps from that 2nd round draft pick.

Do you think that's Hixon's call? Or do the coaches actually believe he's the # 3 until someone takes it away and that may well be Randle at some point.

JB456
09-13-2012, 02:44 PM
The timing of this post has me scratching my head. Why would this come up when Hixon had a good game for a # 3 in his first game in over a year after an injury? If anything, I'm actually excited to see if he can put a better game together next week. Hixon has better hands than MM and I already think he is running better routes than him. Watch, I bet you Eli's interceptions go down this year and part of that will have to do with Hixon as the #3.

The one thing that we lost when Manningham left was his ability to stretch the field. With all the knee issues, I don't think Hixon is capable of replacing MM's spead.

RoanokeFan
09-13-2012, 02:46 PM
Not sure #3 WR was the prob in the the dallas game. Hixon is doing fine.

Where you been? You sitting with Tiki on Sunday? :o

RoanokeFan
09-13-2012, 02:49 PM
The timing of this post has me scratching my head. Why would this come up when Hixon had a good game for a # 3 in his first game in over a year after an injury? If anything, I'm actually excited to see if he can put a better game together next week. Hixon has better hands than MM and I already think he is running better routes than him. Watch, I bet you Eli's interceptions go down this year and part of that will have to do with Hixon as the #3.

The one thing that we lost when Manningham left was his ability to stretch the field. With all the knee issues, I don't think Hixon is capable of replacing MM's spead.

We'll have to wait and see, but I am pretty sure he caught the longest pass of the game against Dallas. I see Hixon as the bridge to one of the younger receivers taking his spot. But as long as he's the # 3, he gets my support.

ryan12
09-13-2012, 03:18 PM
We'll have to wait and see, but I am pretty sure he caught the longest pass of the game against Dallas. I see Hixon as the bridge to one of the younger receivers taking his spot. But as long as he's the # 3, he gets my support.

when did u become a mod ro?

giantsfan420
09-13-2012, 03:31 PM

i think thats the best statement regarding it. he is a solid, good player. no one should be upset, lol really??, that we have a capable 3rd wr who can contribute while one of the other guys comes along. So Hixon doesnt have a game breaking tangible. Most NFL guys don't really, the guys that do r special. Hopefully Randle has that quality that makes him a nightmare for defenses. If not, my next hope is that he can at least be as solid a player as Hixon, just with no health issues.

Who knows, had Hixon not torn his ACL twice, he coulda been a legitimate starting WR, its not like he doesnt have talent. I'll be watching the whole 3rd WR deal closely. Who lines up and where aside from Nicks and Cruz....

and Hixon did make that fantastic grab. he has good hands most the time. its just i dont know if he cant take games over, or turn the game on one play the way that MM could. For all of MM's flaws, he could absolutely score from anywhere on the field at any time, and that was an awesome component to have on top of having Nicks n Cruz...Maybe Hixon does have that quality and it just hasnt completely manifested itself, kinda like how Cruz didnt really break out until week 3....

RoanokeFan
09-13-2012, 03:39 PM

When I kidnapped Kate Mara and I'm not giving her back :cool:

ryan12
09-13-2012, 03:41 PM

+1 cheers to you its about time

RoanokeFan
09-13-2012, 03:50 PM
+1 cheers to you its about time

Thanks.

GameTime
09-13-2012, 04:06 PM
now I have to becareful.....:)

GameTime
09-13-2012, 04:06 PM
In that case I want to be a "mod" too.....lol

Dwinsballgames
09-13-2012, 04:11 PM
In that case I want to be a "mod" too.....lol

There's always Roony, but if she's anything like her character in Girl with the Dragon tatoo, she'll kick your butt.

GameTime
09-13-2012, 04:14 PM
There's always Roony, but if she's anything like her character in Girl with the Dragon tatoo, she'll kick your butt.
nah....I'll help Ro with Kate.....:cool:

Dwinsballgames
09-13-2012, 04:20 PM
nah....I'll help Ro with Kate.....:cool:

Yeah, huh? OK then I'll have Roony all to myself

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4805184341213951&id=beeab373799205917887810bdc8edcd5

GameTime
09-13-2012, 04:25 PM
Yeah, huh? OK then I'll have Roony all to myself

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4805184341213951&id=beeab373799205917887810bdc8edcd5

all yours....:cool:

RoanokeFan
09-13-2012, 04:28 PM
now I have to becareful.....:)

There is a target on your username :popcorn:

RoanokeFan
09-13-2012, 04:29 PM

Ryan and I almost bumped into Kate at a game two years ago. He says "Dad, there's Kate Mara" as the elevator door was closing. lol

Even at my advanced age, she's a hottie

Dwinsballgames
09-13-2012, 04:30 PM

No love for Roony, huh?

Oh well, to each his own. I think she's a hottie plus she's an excellent actress. Who do you think taught Rolle to fall down during that no-huddle defensive stand last year?

ryan12
09-13-2012, 04:35 PM
Ryan and I almost bumped into Kate at a game two years ago. He says "Dad, there's Kate Mara" as the elevator door was closing. lol

Even at my advanced age, she's a hottie

your sons name is ryan and so is one of mine thats awesome.

moosedrool
09-13-2012, 05:17 PM
Mods can you shut this thread down. It's been off topic for the last 14 posts.

BlueSanta
09-13-2012, 05:19 PM
Mods can you shut this thread down. It's been off topic for the last 14 posts.

Blaspheme. Kate Mara is NEVER off topic.

Eliscruzzz
09-13-2012, 07:42 PM
Hixon is, hands down, a better route runner than Mario.never said he was I said he was a better rote threat at reciever I don't care what Hixon did in the past Rio was always great against Dallas and a game that means something Hixon not so much.Route running is important but hixon cannot break any and make big plays and when he does he tears his acl oh and the catch on wednesday, But again this is mo opinion not yours already got into with people this week. I'm sick of it. if you disagree fine you wanna talk about x's and o's fines but please do not start with this (your opinions wrong and I'm right stuff) simply not in the mood today.

RoanokeFan
09-13-2012, 07:48 PM
never said he was I said he was a better rote threat at reciever I don't care what Hixon did in the past Rio was always great against Dallas and a game that means something Hixon not so much.Route running is important but hixon cannot break any and make big plays and when he does he tears his acl oh and the catch on wednesday, But again this is mo opinion not yours already got into with people this week. I'm sick of it. if you disagree fine you wanna talk about x's and o's fines but please do not start with this (your opinions wrong and I'm right stuff) simply not in the mood today.

The numbers don't lie. Admittedly it's only one game, still they seem pretty even opening the season.

If you're "not in the mood" why would you post when you know someone will disagree with you. That's the nature of message boards.

Eliscruzzz
09-13-2012, 07:59 PM
No more than any other playerWhat else is there to talk about peole are bored...........

RoanokeFan
09-13-2012, 08:05 PM
What else is there to talk about peole are bored...........

That's because of the long span of time between the first two games.

Eliscruzzz
09-13-2012, 08:12 PM

The numbers don't lie. Admittedly it's only one game, still they seem pretty even opening the season.

If you're "not in the mood" why would you post when you know someone will disagree with you. That's the nature of message boards.Thank you very much for keeping it football and I like Hixon and I know Mario's gone but I just think he was the better 3 for us he did have nice production for us last year. but Hixon has also played the one, but if rio was here I would definitely want him on the field with Cruz and Nicks and have Hixon as the 4th it would be awesome. Rio isn't here anymore I wish him luck and I think Hixon will do a great job maybe he might be better let's see at the end of the season.

Eliscruzzz
09-13-2012, 08:13 PM
That's because of the long span of time between the first two games.lol I was talking to so one that said what we are talking about something is nonsense

GameTime
09-13-2012, 08:14 PM
MM has made his mark with the Giants late last season ,plyoffs, and of course the SB.
Hixon hasnt. Until he does then he wont measure up...
very simple without getting into specifics with routes, and stats, and such.

Eliscruzzz
09-13-2012, 08:16 PM

If you're "not in the mood" why would you post when you know someone will disagree with you. That's the nature of message boards.Like I said I could care less when you disagree but I have people call me plenty of names and it says that is not allowed on the mb not saying you did but many have.

GameTime
09-13-2012, 08:18 PM
Like I said I could care less when you disagree but I have people call me plenty of names and it says that is not allowed on the mb not saying you did but many have.
you're a poo poo head......lol
sorry couldn't help myself....I am at work and bored.

Laurah1275
09-13-2012, 08:20 PM
What else is there to talk about peole are bored...........Dear God, I really need something to put in my mouth!

Eliscruzzz
you're a poo poo head......lol
sorry couldn't help myself....I am at work and bored.LMAO I should've saw that coming you got me good lol.

RoanokeFan
Thank you very much for keeping it football and I like Hixon and I know Mario's gone but I just think he was the better 3 for us he did have nice production for us last year. but Hixon has also played the one, but if rio was here I would definitely want him on the field with Cruz and Nicks and have Hixon as the 4th it would be awesome. Rio isn't here anymore I wish him luck and I think Hixon will do a great job maybe he might be better let's see at the end of the season.

I have no doubt that Mario would be the # 3 if he were here. But, and this is what made me wonder about why this is even a topic now, he's on another team. Mario is, for and intents and purposes, irrelevant for this team. at this time. But to say we don't have a replacement is really, to me, absurd. Hixon did what a # 3 is asked to do last week and he did it in fine fashion as far as I'm concerned.

There is no doubt that another receiver, probably Randle, will eventually take that slot. This season, next season, who knows. But if Hixon performs as well as he did against Dallas, he's going to be hard to unseat.

RoanokeFan
09-13-2012, 08:22 PM
Like I said I could care less when you disagree but I have people call me plenty of names and it says that is not allowed on the mb not saying you did but many have.

Name calling is juvenile, no doubt.

GameTime
09-13-2012, 08:23 PM
Name calling is juvenile, no doubt.

ohh....look at you big time moderator.....lol
apparently juvenile is right up my ally....:cool:

giantsfan420
09-13-2012, 08:24 PM
Thank you very much for keeping it football and I like Hixon and I know Mario's gone but I just think he was the better 3 for us he did have nice production for us last year. but Hixon has also played the one, but if rio was here I would definitely want him on the field with Cruz and Nicks and have Hixon as the 4th it would be awesome. Rio isn't here anymore I wish him luck and I think Hixon will do a great job maybe he might be better let's see at the end of the season.

i agree somewhat. For the flaws MM had, (we all know them), he absolutely was a seriously dangerous threat when you got Nicks n Cruz as the 1 and 2. MM didnt have the route running that Hixon has. And imo, MM seemed more explosive and quick than what I saw from Hixon THIS YEAR. Remember, we arent talking about Hixon from 3 yrs ago, we're talking about Hixon after 2 acl's. Now I'm not saying he isnt that guy he was before the injuries, I just need to see it. When Hixon has a big day with a couple big plays and a TD, I can compare that with what I saw from MM. IMO, the offense was more dangerous, but will prob be more inconsistent, with MM.
That said, I'm excited to see what Hixon AND Randle/Barden/JJ have. Hixons a solid player with consistency and being in the right spot. Im hoping he has an elite quality that makes him a nightmare for defenses the way MM did with his quickness/speed/athleticism. Hixon has those things, but I dunno how it stacks up to MM after the surgeries. He could be completely healthy and still have lost a half step...

and slightly off topic, i think what elicruz meant by "not in the mood", he wanted to talk football, as u did. he didnt want to turn it into a "your clueless, how could u think that?!?" type back n forth

GameTime
09-13-2012, 08:24 PM
Dear God, I really need something to put in my mouth!

I have......

nah too easy....

Laurah1275
09-13-2012, 08:26 PM
I have......

nah too easy....Hehehehe...where is your mind? ;)

Eliscruzzz
I have no doubt that Mario would be the # 3 if he were here. But, and this is what made me wonder about why this is even a topic now, he's on another team. Mario is, for and intents and purposes, irrelevant for this team. at this time. But to say we don't have a replacement is really, to me, absurd. Hixon did what a # 3 is asked to do last week and he did it in fine fashion as far as I'm concerned.

There is no doubt that another receiver, probably Randle, will eventually take that slot. This season, next season, who knows. But if Hixon performs as well as he did against Dallas, he's going to be hard to unseat.I agree with everything you have just said people need to let the Rio thing go and we do have very cable receivers to make up for his production. like you said Hixon will start but Randle is the future

RoanokeFan
ohh....look at you big time moderator.....lol
apparently juvenile is right up my ally....:cool:

Only regarding your age, youngster

GameTime
Hehehehe...where is your mind? ;)
same place yours is I assume.....:confused:

GameTime
09-13-2012, 08:28 PM
Only regarding your age, youngster

mentally yes.....never really made past 16 or so...

as soon as Hixon has a few nice games and big TDs he will unseat the thought of MM.
I liked MM but like Hixon he was/is and an average WR with good skills who could have above average games.

BROADWAYSTORM
09-13-2012, 08:29 PM
Randle is more useful to us outside than Manningham ever was inside. But Manningham helped win us a superbowl. But Randle will too.

Eliscruzzz
09-13-2012, 08:34 PM
i agree somewhat. For the flaws MM had, (we all know them), he absolutely was a seriously dangerous threat when you got Nicks n Cruz as the 1 and 2. MM didnt have the route running that Hixon has. And imo, MM seemed more explosive and quick than what I saw from Hixon THIS YEAR. Remember, we arent talking about Hixon from 3 yrs ago, we're talking about Hixon after 2 acl's. Now I'm not saying he isnt that guy he was before the injuries, I just need to see it. When Hixon has a big day with a couple big plays and a TD, I can compare that with what I saw from MM. IMO, the offense was more dangerous, but will prob be more inconsistent, with MM.
That said, I'm excited to see what Hixon AND Randle/Barden/JJ have. Hixons a solid player with consistency and being in the right spot. Im hoping he has an elite quality that makes him a nightmare for defenses the way MM did with his quickness/speed/athleticism. Hixon has those things, but I dunno how it stacks up to MM after the surgeries. He could be completely healthy and still have lost a half step...

and slightly off topic, i think what elicruz meant by "not in the mood", he wanted to talk football, as u did. he didnt want to turn it into a "your clueless, how could u think that?!?" type back n forthI totally are with things that you have said about Rio and Hixon here I'll repost it 'never said he was a better route runner I said he was a better big play threat at reciever I don't care what Hixon did in the past Rio was always great against Dallas and a game that means something Hixon not so much.Route running is important but hixon cannot break any and make big plays and when he does he tears his acl oh and the catch on wednesday, But again this is mo opinion not yours already got into with people this week. I'm sick of it. if you disagree fine you wanna talk about x's and o's fines but please do not start with this (your opinions wrong and I'm right stuff) simply not in the mood today.' I was just telling people that rio was an above average without and with better route running he could be a 2 or 1 for that matter and thank you man for knowing what I mean I didn't want this to turn in to a 10 page thread of someone calling me stupid like last night.

Laurah1275
09-13-2012, 08:35 PM
same place yours is I assume.....:confused:I hope so...I could use the company...enjoy your ride ;)

GameTime
09-13-2012, 10:53 PM
I hope so...I could use the company...enjoy your ride ;)

owzzaa.....I will