PDA

View Full Version : Future of the Giants O-line

repeatchamps
12-16-2011, 01:42 PM
In all likelihood the Giants will be bringing in new O-linemen next season. Baas has not done consistently well. They made an investment in him but it is always possible that he could be cut.</P>

What I'd like to see happen next year is if no free agent linemen are brought in, I'd fully expect the Giants to make it a priority to draft O-line. The question is what can we expect this O-line to look like next year? In all likelihood rookies brought in may not be starting right away. If someone knows a can't miss guy coming out that can start right away, please mention him in this thread and project how the line will look. </P>

It is possible Baas may move to Guard as that is his natural position and perhaps he'd thrive there. Diehl is likely not going anywhere but K-Mac is a free agent and I just don't think they'll resign him this time around as he is just not as solid as he once was. Snee is also a lock to stay especially if Coughlin stays. I know much depends on the coaching staff and what may occur but all else being equal, here's what I think:</P>

Left Tackle: Beatty</P>

Left Guard: Boothe or Baas (Petrus is the wildcard though)</P>

Center: Boothe if Baas goes to Guard or a new guy entirely if Baas is gone</P>

Right Guard: Snee</P>

Right Tackle: Diehl (until Brewer or another rookie is ready)</P>

</P>

nygsb42champs
12-16-2011, 01:45 PM
I think Petrus will get a real shot at the starting left guard spot. he is a big physical type of player.I am not sold on Beatty. He is very light and does not look like that physical type of LT.

repeatchamps
12-16-2011, 01:47 PM
I think Petrus will get a real shot at the starting left guard spot. he is a big physical type of player.I am not sold on Beatty. He is very light and does not look like that physical type of LT.</P>

Maybe Beatty is replaced? It is super hard to find a legit Left Tackle these days. It isn't like it used to be in the draft where teams pick that franchise Left Tackle in the first 5 picks and throw him to the wolves immediately and the Giants are not picking in the first 5-10 picks anyway soif theygo Left Tackle where they pickin the 1st roundI amunconvinced it will be an impact move. Lastleft tackle they picked in the first round was Pettitgout right around where the Giants will pick more times than not. Not exactly a confidence booster.It has beenless common in recent years. One thing is for sure Diehl back at Left Tackle for the long haul is just not an option anymore in my opinion.</P>

slipknottin
12-16-2011, 01:51 PM
I think Baas is given another shot at center. I thought he looked pretty good the game or two when he was healthy. I try not to discount anyone just because they have had a injury.

ny06
12-16-2011, 01:52 PM
Baas can take a hike for all I care. </P>

McKenzie is on his last leg of his career, he was a great Giant, unless they give him a 1 year deal I don't see him returning. </P>

Petrus should be given the starting left guard position, I was hard on him this pre-season, but so far he has played well. I think he will only get better with working with the first unit. </P>

I am up in the air with Diehl, he has been having a tough season, but do you cut him? I don't know. He is a better run blocker then Beatty. It's no coincidence that were running the ball much better with Beatty out, Bass out, and moving Petrus, Boothe as the starters, and moving Diehl back to tackle. </P>

</P>

</P>

BlueBlitzer
12-16-2011, 01:56 PM
If they don't hurt us capwise, I see no problem with both as valuable backups next year.

repeatchamps
12-16-2011, 01:58 PM
Baas can take a hike for all I care. </P>

McKenzie is on his last leg of his career, he was a great Giant, unless they give him a 1 year deal I don't see him returning. </P>

Petrus should be given the starting left guard position, I was hard on him this pre-season, but so far he has played well. I think he will only get better with working with the first unit. </P>

I am up in the air with Diehl, he has been having a tough season, but do you cut him? I don't know. He is a better run blocker then Beatty. It's no coincidence that were running the ball much better with Beatty out, Bass out, and moving Petrus, Boothe as the starters, and moving Diehl back to tackle. </P>

</P>

</P>

</P>

At this point I just cannot trust Diehl to be an effective Left tackle for this team for the long haul anymore. Right Tackle is different and I think he'd be better served at this point in his career in K-Mac's spot. Heplayed thereearly in hiscareerand was notverygoodbut at this point in his career it may be a better fit and work better than it did earlier in his career.</P>

burier
12-16-2011, 02:07 PM
to me Diehl is done as a starter. He can't play right tackle. You think we can't run the ball now..wait unti you see DD at right tackle. He is versatile though so we should keep him around as a utility type of player who we can plug in where need be (Just not RT)

I like Petrus. To me he's another example of why you dont reach in the draft for Olineman.

I think Beatty is fine. He may not be super physical but all we really need him to do is not get whooped by speed rushers to keep the Franchise standing up.

Baas is was total miss. If he's willing to take massive paycut I'd let him battle it out wtih Petrus for the guard spot. If not then cut his ***. He's garbage anyway.

If KMack is done then we're gonna have to address that in free agency. I don't know who's available.

We can use Booth at Center. and we can take another center late in the draft for depth.

Mercury
12-16-2011, 02:18 PM
For me, it depends entirely on what happens the rest of this season. The line we have now played well in two games in a row. Dallas has a good front 7 too. So, I think this crew could really do some damage going forward. Just suppose these guys win a superbowl? Are you really going to mess around with that?

Kruunch
12-16-2011, 02:21 PM
I've long given up trying to figure out how they determine their Oline setup.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Eli at RT and Kareem QBing next year.

For the record: I think KM will be gone. Beatty will get another chance at LT (ugh) and Baas will get another chance at C (re-ugh).

Replacing KM will be interesting though, since I doubt Petrus is ready to take on RT (if ever) and I don't think Brewer is going to step into that roll. Maybe Boothe gets a shot?

burier
12-16-2011, 02:22 PM
For me, it depends entirely on what happens the rest of this season.* The line we have now played well in two games in a row.* Dallas has a good front 7 too.* So, I think this crew could really do some damage going forward.* Just suppose these guys* win a superbowl?* Are you really going to mess around with that?*

You still have to try to get better.

and Kmack may need to be replaced regardless because contract issues.

DavenIII
12-16-2011, 02:24 PM
Just suppose these guys win a superbowl? Are you really going to mess around with that?

Yes, even if we go on a miraculous run like we did in 07 that doesn't mean you stop looking to improve.

Especially after our terrible rushing performance this year, Eli and the WR's are carrying everything this year...the O-Line needs to improve on run blocking...none of our backs can do anything.

Also I think getting ride of Gilbride would be a huge boon to every single part of our offense including our Offensive Line....he just makes everything worse.

repeatchamps
12-16-2011, 03:18 PM
to me Diehl is done as a starter. He can't play right tackle. You think we can't run the ball now..wait unti you see DD at right tackle. He is versatile though so we should keep him around as a utility type of player who we can plug in where need be (Just not RT) I like Petrus. To me he's another example of why you dont reach in the draft for Olineman. I think Beatty is fine. He may not be super physical but all we really need him to do is not get whooped by speed rushers to keep the Franchise standing up. Baas is was total miss. If he's willing to take massive paycut I'd let him battle it out wtih Petrus for the guard spot. If not then cut his ***. He's garbage anyway. If KMack is done then we're gonna have to address that in free agency. I don't know who's available. We can use Booth at Center. and we can take another center late in the draft for depth.</P>

It is not that simple with Diehl. He is making a boat laod of dough. I also see no reason why he'd take a paycut and/or a demotion. He is a team guy through and through but that is just too much to ask of him after all these years. They'd have to cut him and I don't see that happening but you never know.</P>