PDA

View Full Version : James Brewer

joemorrisforprez
09-13-2012, 07:10 PM
Sounds like Brewer is healthy .....6-6 and 330 pounds, 2nd year guy. Might be time to kick the wheels on this kid.

joemorrisforprez
09-13-2012, 07:13 PM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/07/giants_summer_questionnaire_of_1.html

BlueSanta
09-13-2012, 07:41 PM
He did not do well in the preseason. When he misses blocks he doesnt miss small, he misses HUGE. I think the clock may be ticking on him, he needs time to develop but we are running out of time.

moosedrool
09-13-2012, 07:41 PM
He did not look good in preseason games. Speed rushers got around him easily.

Captain Chaos
09-14-2012, 06:15 AM
Interesting TC had some good things to say about him......I would like to see him at RT sometime this season Double D is at the backup stage of his career.

Rat_bastich
09-14-2012, 06:50 AM
I almost think the bear gets on the field before he does at this rate.

GMENAGAIN
09-14-2012, 07:43 AM
Interesting TC had some good things to say about him......I would like to see him at RT sometime this season Double D is at the backup stage of his career.

As bad as Diehl is, Brewer couldn't even hold his jock. Did you see him play in the preseason against backups? He was awful.

Do you have a link to the nice things that TC said about him?

tonyt830
09-14-2012, 07:57 AM
As bad as Diehl is, Brewer couldn't even hold his jock. Did you see him play in the preseason against backups? He was awful.

Do you have a link to the nice things that TC said about him?Hey maybe he will do better in the regular season vs starters, you know reverse psychology? LOL!!

I think if his back holds up, he may see some time on the field this season. I think he needs some meaningful playing time so the coaches can see where he is at.

Kruunch
09-14-2012, 08:41 AM
Unfortunately all of the recent Giants' additions to the line are coming along slowly (which is a nice way of saying we've added a lot of jelly lately).

JesseJames
09-14-2012, 11:35 AM
Unfortunately all of the recent Giants' additions to the line are coming along slowly (which is a nice way of saying we've added a lot of jelly lately). when was the last decent O lineman we added to this line, it may go back as far as Diehl and thats 10 years

myles2424
09-14-2012, 12:25 PM
Brewer? Am i the only one the remembers him getting his *** kicked by jacksonville 2's & 3's??
I can see us having to use FA signings next year to attempt to fix our oline issues, Because drafting them isnt working for us (Brewer,Mccants,Mosley)

Redeyejedi
09-14-2012, 12:53 PM
when was the last decent O lineman we added to this line, it may go back as far as Diehl and thats 10 yearsThe guys the Giants have been high on have been awful as well. Scouting and coaching has been terrible in this department. i had Bobby Massie rated higher then Jonathan Martin and Mike Adams he is starting for the Cardinals at RT as a rookie this season. He fell because of poor work ethic rumors that look flat out stupid at this point.

myles2424
09-14-2012, 01:04 PM
The guys the Giants have been high on have been awful as well. Scouting and coaching has been terrible in this department. i had Bobby Massie rated higher then Jonathan Martin and Mike Adams he is starting for the Cardinals at RT as a rookie this season. He fell because of poor work ethic rumors that look flat out stupid at this point.

After we passed on Massie a few rounds, my exact words to the people i was with were "were going to look back & regret not taking this kid, hes going to be a steal"

moosedrool
09-14-2012, 01:20 PM
After we passed on Massie a few rounds, my exact words to the people i was with were "were going to look back & regret not taking this kid, hes going to be a steal"

It's only one game, but Massie did not play well vs Seattle last week. There's always exceptions, but rookie OL usually take at least a year to develop.

GMENAGAIN
09-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Brewer? Am i the only one the remembers him getting his *** kicked by jacksonville 2's & 3's??
I can see us having to use FA signings next year to attempt to fix our oline issues, Because drafting them isnt working for us (Brewer,Mccants,Mosley)

I remember it well . . . . I was shocked because he was being talked about as the heir-apparent at RT. After watching that Jacksonville preseason game, I will be surprised if he makes the 53 man roster next year . . . . and by no means do I want to see him in a game this year.

Kruunch
09-14-2012, 02:47 PM
The guys the Giants have been high on have been awful as well. Scouting and coaching has been terrible in this department. i had Bobby Massie rated higher then Jonathan Martin and Mike Adams he is starting for the Cardinals at RT as a rookie this season. He fell because of poor work ethic rumors that look flat out stupid at this point.

Another bad outing and the Cordy Glenn wails are going to start I'm sure.

TheAnalyst
09-14-2012, 02:57 PM
When is the last time we drafted a good Olineman?
Beatty (2nd), Brewer (4th), Petrus (5th), Mosely (4th), McCants (6th), Koets (6th), Whimper (4th), Snee (2nd), Strojney (7th)

Man we have done some bad drafting for the OL. This goes back to 2004.

Toadofsteel
09-14-2012, 03:01 PM
Beatty (2nd), Brewer (4th), Petrus (5th), Mosely (4th), McCants (6th), Koets (6th), Whimper (4th), Snee (2nd), Strojney (7th)

Seeing that makes me want Accorsi back...

Kruunch
09-14-2012, 03:12 PM

Snee was (and I hope still is) good. He just needs to step up his game in a big way.

The rest of that bunch were either worthless or couldn't/can't stay on the field.

Very frustrating.

bearbryant
09-14-2012, 03:17 PM
Boy, this thread is making me drool for guys like Jumbo Elliot, William Roberts, Bob Kratch, Eric Moore, and even Doug Reisenberg. Where did we go wrong, people? Look at those names and you've go a few 1st and second rounders on the '86 and '90 S.B. teams. We just don't draft O linemen in the beginning anymore. Oh well, you do this, you get that! Lets go Giants! Time for Eli to shine!

Kruunch
09-14-2012, 03:21 PM
Boy, this thread is making me drool for guys like Jumbo Elliot, William Roberts, Bob Kratch, Eric Moore, and even Doug Reisenberg. Where did we go wrong, people? Look at those names and you've go a few 1st and second rounders on the '86 and '90 S.B. teams. We just don't draft O linemen in the beginning anymore. Oh well, you do this, you get that! Lets go Giants! Time for Eli to shine!

That may change after this year ... clearly the "throw a mass of low draft picks at the problem" strategy isn't quite working the way it did for our LBers.

JesseJames
09-14-2012, 06:08 PM
I get the feeling that Reese is being told this same thing about our O line by a lot of people, somewhere we are just missing the boat when it comes to drafting O linemen. I read a post by someone saying that there aren't very many good linemen coming out of college in the last few years, I don't know if thats true but if it is then that just makes it all the more important to draft early. and that means a lot earlier than the 4th round or later. Its time for us to stop shopping at Walmart for O linemen and hoping for a bargain in later rounds, go out and get the guy we need and pay what it costs in either money or a high draft choice, what other choices do we have because what we're doing now isn't working

drewz
09-14-2012, 06:41 PM
I get the feeling that Reese is being told this same thing about our O line by a lot of people, somewhere we are just missing the boat when it comes to drafting O linemen. I read a post by someone saying that there aren't very many good linemen coming out of college in the last few years, I don't know if thats true but if it is then that just makes it all the more important to draft early. and that means a lot earlier than the 4th round or later. Its time for us to stop shopping at Walmart for O linemen and hoping for a bargain in later rounds, go out and get the guy we need and pay what it costs in either money or a high draft choice, what other choices do we have because what we're doing now isn't working

Where do people keep getting this crap from? Drafting early does not guarantee you a stud on the offensive line. Some of the top linemen in the league were drafted in the 4th round and later. This year the Steelers used their 1st and 2nd round picks to address the offensive line needs, look at how well it's working out for them right now.

Rat_bastich
09-14-2012, 09:17 PM
At least next year there seem to be a few good ones coming out from Alabama, Wisconsin and some other big schools with good running games. Next year draft priority will probably be OL, DB and DL dependent upon who resigns. Plus Tuck seems to be slowing down and we have no idea what Ojomo and Tracy can do in a real game yet. I think it's time Reese bites the bullet and goes for some O-line help. O-line is usually not a sexy pick but it is seriously needed.

Buddy333
09-14-2012, 09:48 PM
I was listening to Sirius and they where talking about an OT on the Jets that they (forgot who the hosts where) said didn't belong in the league during the pre season but he held his own last week against Mario Williams. Could he play inside at OG?

NorwoodBlue
09-14-2012, 11:16 PM
Calling Brewer, Mosley or Mccants a bust at this point is incredibly premature. Mosley and McCants should never have been expected to start this year by anyone. They're at least a season away. Brewer has had one preseason and has struggled through some injuries. He needs a healthy period on the 53 man roster to get his technique straight and then he might give a starter a run for his money. Unfortunately, time is huge for offensive linemen. If Brewer isn't ready to go by next year, then I'd be concerned.

As far as throwing first round or high second round draft picks at OL, this strategy is no guarantee for success. Some of the biggest draft busts of all time have been first round OL who never found a place in the league, much less became stars.

myles2424
09-15-2012, 12:11 AM
Calling Brewer, Mosley or Mccants a bust at this point is incredibly premature. Mosley and McCants should never have been expected to start this year by anyone. They're at least a season away. Brewer has had one preseason and has struggled through some injuries. He needs a healthy period on the 53 man roster to get his technique straight and then he might give a starter a run for his money. Unfortunately, time is huge for offensive linemen. If Brewer isn't ready to go by next year, then I'd be concerned.

As far as throwing first round or high second round draft picks at OL, this strategy is no guarantee for success. Some of the biggest draft busts of all time have been first round OL who never found a place in the league, much less became stars. possibly mosley gets a pass.....mccants, cut from the PS,enough said......brewer, a 2nd year OT got his food ate by Jacksonvilles 2s & 3s......perhaps things change over time, but yes at this point he's a bust

Cool Papa B.
09-15-2012, 12:41 AM

Agh, the days of Jumbo Elliot, Bart Oates and co. Feels like a lifetime ago. Boy, those guys were tough. Heck, the group of MacKenzie, Seubert, O'Hara, and Deihl feels like yesterday. This years OLine wiill improve IMO. But not to the extent of those other OLine groups.

GMENAGAIN
09-15-2012, 08:24 AM

As far as throwing first round or high second round draft picks at OL, this strategy is no guarantee for success. Some of the biggest draft busts of all time have been first round OL who never found a place in the league, much less became stars.

McCants was cut from the PS, so I would call him a bust.

NorwoodBlue
09-15-2012, 11:24 AM

Who'd they drop him for? The practice squad seems to be a bit of a shell game anyhow. We probably had 10 guys on the squad last year with two or three of them on and off repeatedly depending on who was coming up on the schedule and some other factors that must be known only to Reese and Coughlin. McCants was a sixth rounder so if he doesn't stick, it's not unexpected. A sixth rounder getting cut isn't really a bust, it's just reality. Anybody after the late third round\ early fourth round is usually a crap shoot, and you hope you find some diamonds in there; which we have done pretty consistently.

JesseJames
09-15-2012, 12:04 PM
Where do people keep getting this crap from? Drafting early does not guarantee you a stud on the offensive line. Some of the top linemen in the league were drafted in the 4th round and later. This year the Steelers used their 1st and 2nd round picks to address the offensive line needs, look at how well it's working out for them right now. you need to read ALL the words in a post before you reply and call some ones words CRAP. Nobody ever said that drafting early is a guarantee for anything except that it improves your odds in getting a better player, and as for the Steelers draft, it takes at least one or 2 years for a an O linemen to adjust to and learn the pro game so its too early to tell if they made bad choices

Bigbluefan77
09-15-2012, 05:54 PM
i would not be disappointed if our entire draft class was devoted to offensive line
you win the games in the trenches, and I want an o line that makes me look good if I was running the ball

tonyt830
09-15-2012, 07:17 PM

Who'd they drop him for? The practice squad seems to be a bit of a shell game anyhow. We probably had 10 guys on the squad last year with two or three of them on and off repeatedly depending on who was coming up on the schedule and some other factors that must be known only to Reese and Coughlin. McCants was a sixth rounder so if he doesn't stick, it's not unexpected. A sixth rounder getting cut isn't really a bust, it's just reality. Anybody after the late third round\ early fourth round is usually a crap shoot, and you hope you find some diamonds in there; which we have done pretty consistently.I think McCants was a project anyway, being a 6th rd pick. I would attach the word "bust" with a 1st or 2nd rd pick.

Who knows, I would not be surprised to see McCants get signed back onto our practice squad later on in the season.

giantsfan420
09-15-2012, 07:24 PM
i would not be disappointed if our entire draft class was devoted to offensive line
you win the games in the trenches, and I want an o line that makes me look good if I was running the ball

one COULD argue we are as stacked as we can get and still utilize everyone at the skill positions...RB-check. WR-check. S-Check. Corner-IMO-check. even DL really-check

OL-i wouldnt mind heavily investingour next offseason into this area

BeatYale
09-15-2012, 10:26 PM
when was the last decent O lineman we added to this line, it may go back as far as Diehl and thats 10 years

True. OL and LB are positions we have avoided in R1 of the draft for a long time now.

joemorrisforprez
09-16-2012, 12:12 AM
Drafting early does not guarantee you a stud on the offensive line.

No, but that's true of other positions as well.

However, the earlier the round, generally the better chances of being a starter, pro-bowler, etc.

As others mentioned, Beatty was the last early round pick we had. Hopefully he is recovered, and makes a push to regain that starting job.

I don't think there can be much doubt that the offensive line has struggled recently. So, there's some valid concern about making this a more important draft priority.

Rat_bastich
09-16-2012, 12:36 AM
No, but that's true of other positions as well.

However, the earlier the round, generally the better chances of being a starter, pro-bowler, etc.

As others mentioned, Beatty was the last early round pick we had. Hopefully he is recovered, and makes a push to regain that starting job.

I don't think there can be much doubt that the offensive line has struggled recently. So, there's some valid concern about making this a more important draft priority.

It almost feels like the Fassel time period when we had let our O-linemen age and went out and got Lomas Brown. We had to pretty much do a complete overhaul at one time. Brown was long in the tooth at that point as well. He ended up being a band aid.

NorwoodBlue
09-16-2012, 11:11 AM

We've got some pretty decent players who are up for free agancy next year, and we certainly can't keep all of them. The draft normally gets used to find positon players for the following year's free agents. Our offense is far more explosive now because we've got the skill players to stretch the field. It's really kind of the opposite from when we had a great OL, and could pound the ball; but had to rely on defense to keep the score down because we still couldn't score that well. The NFL is a passing league now, and you need finesse lineman who can pass protect. They're not really the same type of linemen who can just overpower the DL, and run down their throats. It's a conundrum to be sure; but, that's also why I don't think we can go out and draft three OL in the first three rounds and rebuild the line for the run game. Our drop-off at skill postions would probably be very pronounced, and we'd have weeknesses at those positions that other teams would exploit. I think you've just got to kind of choose your poison, and hope it works out for you.

moosedrool
09-16-2012, 11:39 AM
The NFL is a passing league now, and you need finesse lineman who can pass protect. They're not really the same type of linemen who can just overpower the DL, and run down their throats..

Totally agree with this. Brewer at 6'6" 330 is not a pass protecting finesse lineman. People blew by him in preseason. Beatty at 6' 6" 319 is. He pass protected OK last year, and this being his 4rth year I expect him to be better than average once he gets healthy.