PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Terrell Thomas undergoes third ACL surgery

RoanokeFan
09-13-2012, 07:41 PM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/09/terrell_thomas_undergoes_his_t.html#incart_river

Excerpt: "Earlier this week, Giants cornerback Terrell Thomas underwent his third surgery on the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, according to a person with knowledge of the procedure. That person requested anonymity because the Giants have not announced the surgery.

Thomas had originally hoped to rehab what he had called an "aggravated" ACL injury sustained during camp, the same ACL that caused him to miss last season. The Giants placed him on injured reserve -- not the short-term kind -- as he began that rehab. But after a few weeks, it became clear something wasn't right." Read more...

foosball
09-13-2012, 07:52 PM
IMO it's time to cut him. Soon as the season ends. The Giants have too many injury prone players at CB to house a guy who's hurt 50 percent of all seasons with torn ACL's.

RoanokeFan
09-13-2012, 07:56 PM
IMO it's time to cut him. Soon as the season ends. The Giants have too many injury prone players at CB to house a guy who's hurt 50 percent of all seasons with torn ACL's.

As he rehabs, there will likely be an injury settlement. Personally I hope they keep him on IR until the season is over

sharick88
09-13-2012, 08:08 PM

I would have cut him too. I would have given him his injury settlement and his walking papers. This is business, not personal.

Rudyy
09-13-2012, 08:08 PM
Well that's that.

GameTime
09-13-2012, 08:12 PM
too bad for him.....tough break.

BigBlueAllDay
09-13-2012, 08:29 PM
Tough break for T2. The Giants and JR had structured Thomas' contract in case of something like this and it happened. An early end to his current contract is imminent.

CowboysSuck
09-13-2012, 09:00 PM
Well, thats his career (imo), good luck to him whatever he pursues outside of football..

GMan-67
09-13-2012, 10:18 PM
no rush to cut him, cut him next camp if necessary

so far Hixon has made it back from multiple surgeries, so while maybe a longshot, it is still possible

G4L
09-13-2012, 11:00 PM
Hixon and T2 both missed last season with their 2nd torn ACL in the same knee. This makes it T2's 3rd ACL surgery. Doesn't look promising. I beleive his contract was structured so that if he made it through this year healthy and returned to form, he would be due some big time money after this coming offseason. There is no chance he will be in camp with us next year under his current contract. Its possible the Giants re-negotiate and bring him back at a much lower price.

GiantWarfare
09-13-2012, 11:40 PM
Career-ender I'm afraid.

zimonami
09-13-2012, 11:45 PM
This 3rd knee injury came too easy... tells you how stable his knee was coming in.
You wouldn't think this 3rd surgery would strengthen or tighten the ligament any better than the 2nd.
Probably the end of his career. Giants will prob give him a chance to rehab and give it another shot, but it will come as a big surprise if he ever makes the team and gives us quality time again.
Good luck, TT... tough break.

JPP=BEASTMODE
09-13-2012, 11:58 PM
Resign: him at the vet minimum. He would make a great backup CB

sharick88
09-14-2012, 12:29 AM
Well, thats his career (imo), good luck to him whatever he pursues outside of football..

He's from the town that I currently live in (Rancho Cucamonga). I was lucky enough to meet him. Great guy, bad break. This is business though. He could make for a nice coach if he decides to give it up.

BeatYale
09-14-2012, 01:32 AM
Sad news. I have a feeling he will try again though, and stick with the team for the league minimum.

ELI_Iz_God
09-14-2012, 01:34 AM
I would have cut him too. I would have given him his injury settlement and his walking papers. This is business, not personal.

No chance we hang on to him till next preseason? Would hate to see him fall as a gem to another team

giant-4-life
09-14-2012, 01:48 AM
how many times does a guy go through the same surgery before its' enough?

tonyt830
09-14-2012, 07:34 AM
Tough break for T2. But I think that puts an end to his career for the Giants. Good luck to him and his future endeavors.

GMENAGAIN
09-14-2012, 07:49 AM
The Giants either have the worst medical staff in the history of sports or they just flat-out lie about players' medical conditions. How many times do they try to make an injury seem not as serious as it really is? It's ridiculous.

Why say anything at all until you know the true extent of the injury?

tonyt830
09-14-2012, 08:00 AM
The Giants either have the worst medical staff in the history of sports or they just flat-out lie about players' medical conditions. How many times do they try to make an injury seem not as serious as it really is? It's ridiculous.

Why say anything at all until you know the true extent of the injury?I guess it was smart of the Giants to put T2 on IR at final cuts, instead if holding his roster spot thinking he could be back in a few weeks.

Kruunch
09-14-2012, 08:38 AM
too bad for him.....tough break.

Tough break for us too. :(

Kruunch
09-14-2012, 08:39 AM
No chance we hang on to him till next preseason? Would hate to see him fall as a gem to another team

Three ACL's is the career ending number.

nhpgiantsfan
09-14-2012, 01:48 PM

He wasn't a "gem" before his first ACL, he certainly won't be a jem after 3 acl's.

joemorrisforprez
09-14-2012, 02:30 PM
no rush to cut him, cut him next camp if necessary

so far Hixon has made it back from multiple surgeries, so while maybe a longshot, it is still possible

I agree.....he deserves a chance to heal up and see what happens.

However, I'm not expecting anything from him, and I'm sure the front office learned a lesson when they let Aaron Ross walk because they expected T2 to be healthy.

Razur
09-14-2012, 02:51 PM
"Its possible the Giants re-negotiate and bring him back at a much lower price. "

His stock has dropped so low now, that this may not ven come into play. Why waste a slot on the active roster for another high risk. Time to cut him loose.
Tough break, but this is a business afterall, and Thomas should know this by now.

ryan12
09-14-2012, 04:34 PM
He wasn't a "gem" before his first ACL, he certainly won't be a jem after 3 acl's.

are you kidding me the year before he got hurt he got screwed out of a pro bowl. t2 was great before he go hurt, that being said time to move on wish him all the best

nhpgiantsfan
09-14-2012, 05:01 PM
are you kidding me the year before he got hurt he got screwed out of a pro bowl. t2 was great before he go hurt, that being said time to move on wish him all the best

He was never, ever, a great CB. Stop being mislead by the fact that he led the team in tackles.

DownWitJPP
09-14-2012, 06:14 PM

I like T2 but he was never a great cornerback, even before the 2nd ACL. He led the team in tackles because he was thrown at the most. I remember receivers routinely getting behind him or out jumping him for easy catches that year