PDA

View Full Version : Is Martellus Bennett A Better TE Than Jake Ballard?

Antwuan
09-14-2012, 04:02 AM
When you consider what Jake Ballard did for us last season and add in what Martellus Bennett brings to us. Do you think he's a better overall TE/Player than Jake Ballard?

Rat_bastich
09-14-2012, 04:04 AM
I think he can be. He is more athletic than Ballard is. Only time will tell. Right now with the Giants alot of the team is wait and see, very few are established.

MrDenmark
09-14-2012, 04:10 AM
I think on talent yes. But Ballard had a great attitude, that counts a lot in my book.

Toss up right now.

Captain Chaos
09-14-2012, 05:53 AM
A yea! He's a great blocker, he can catch the ball and is athletic. Like Ballard but Bennet is much better.

Jahh
09-14-2012, 08:42 AM
I don't even think this is a contest. Martellus Bennett is a huge upgrade all around.

Kruunch
09-14-2012, 08:43 AM
I think he can be. He is more athletic than Ballard is. Only time will tell. Right now with the Giants alot of the team is wait and see, very few are established.

+1

While Bennett hasn't put in a whole season, I'd say there's a lot more upside to him than Ballard.

titwio
09-14-2012, 09:10 AM
The thing I liked the most about Ballard were his soft hands, deceptive route running and toughness after the catch. People forget last year was his first season starting and playing in the NFL. He showed the skills and upside you look for at the position and had good, solid production for a guy who only had something like 30 catches in his 4year career at OhioSt.

I agree when people here say Bennett is more talented but I don't agree about the upside part...not yet imo. Ballard showed a lot in his first year and was likely to improve. I need to see Bennett be more consistent first cause while I think he's more improved and dedicated this year, for his career he's been known for being a blocking TE who runs bad routes and drops balls.

GMan-67
09-14-2012, 09:13 AM
no, but he is a better athlete and he can put up the same numbers that Jake did to ease the pain of Jake's injury

and by next season maybe Bennett and Robinson make us forget about Jakegate, Beckum, etc.

GameTime
09-14-2012, 09:17 AM
When you consider what Jake Ballard did for us last season and add in what Martellus Bennett brings to us. Do you think he's a better overall TE/Player than Jake Ballard?
on paper yeah he is. In reality....no one knows yet.

RoanokeFan
09-14-2012, 09:45 AM
on paper yeah he is. In reality....no one knows yet.

I think this is the right answer at the moment. But I do think he has shown Reese made a good call.

BigBlue wins
09-14-2012, 10:19 AM
I think this is the right answer at the moment. But I do think he has shown Reese made a good call.

Exactly. We will have to wait and how this season unfolds. It's a shame that we couldn't have a 2 tight end set with Ballard and Bennett in the line up at the same time.

When a game is tight like the Patriots regular season last year, we will see how much of an impact he can be.

RoanokeFan
09-14-2012, 10:22 AM
Exactly. We will have to wait and how this season unfolds. It's a shame that we couldn't have a 2 tight end set with Ballard and Bennett in the line up at the same time.

When a game is tight like the Patriots regular season last year, we will see how much of an impact he can be.

One thought I have is until the OLine as a group improves, Bennett may block on more plays than they would prefer. But he can obviously catch the ball and he is a solid blocker

BJacobs aka The Problem
09-14-2012, 10:46 AM
It's kind of funny, but I've always liked Bennett, don't ask me why, but I thought when he came in as a rook in Dallas that he was going to be a great compliment to Witten, but I guess Garrett didn't feel that way which makes me happy of course. Dallas could have easily gone to a lot of two TE sets like what hte Patriots do now. (I'm in no way saying that Witten/Bennett would have been a good as a the Gronk/Gonzo combo, but they would have had some decent match ups to exploit.)

As far as being better than Ballard? In the long run, I think it's a high possibility. One thing that Ballard was very good at was finding the open space like Steve Smith used to. He may not be the fastest or quickest TE, but he had good a mind when it came to that. He also had really good hands and ball awareness. For a big guy, he could adjust to the ball pretty well and make tough catches. His blocking was decent, not the best, but it was good. If Bennett can learn to that part of the being a receiver, then in the long run, he's definitely going to be a better TE just because of his athleticism and his blocking.

Right now though...I'd call it a tie.

Toadofsteel
09-14-2012, 10:56 AM
One thought I have is until the OLine as a group improves, Bennett may block on more plays than they would prefer. But he can obviously catch the ball and he is a solid blocker

I almost feel like Bennett could suit up as a Tackle... we would have to change his number, but he'd be an upgrade over Diehl easily...

GameTime
09-14-2012, 11:00 AM
I almost feel like Bennett could suit up as a Tackle... we would have to change his number, but he'd be an upgrade over Diehl easily...
you cant really make hat assumption....come on man. Obviously you are down on DD but thats over the top....

RoanokeFan
09-14-2012, 11:02 AM

I don't see that happening. Locklear will be the RT IF Beatty can work his way back at LT.

titwio
09-14-2012, 11:05 AM
As far as being better than Ballard? In the long run, I think it's a high possibility. One thing that Ballard was very good at was finding the open space like Steve Smith used to. He may not be the fastest or quickest TE, but he had good a mind when it came to that. He also had really good hands and ball awareness. For a big guy, he could adjust to the ball pretty well and make tough catches. His blocking was decent, not the best, but it was good. If Bennett can learn to that part of the being a receiver, then in the long run, he's definitely going to be a better TE just because of his athleticism and his blocking.

Right now though...I'd call it a tie.

+1...I agree with this. Ballard may have been slow but he was very savvy on his routes and made the most with his ability.

GameTime
09-14-2012, 11:06 AM
I really wish Pascoe would have made a big step forward this season as a more of pass catching threat. He just seemed like he was ready to turn the corner. I guess not. Maybe Robinson can get there by mid season. Haveing two TEs that can block and catch well would be huge for both the run game and the pass game obviously. You let me down Bear......:mad:

RoanokeFan
09-14-2012, 11:11 AM
I really wish Pascoe would have made a big step forward this season as a more of pass catching threat. He just seemed like he was ready to turn the corner. I guess not. Maybe Robinson can get there by mid season. Haveing two TEs that can block and catch well would be huge for both the run game and the pass game obviously. You let me down Bear......:mad:

Don't give up on the Bear :o

GMENAGAIN
09-14-2012, 11:18 AM
Yes. Bennett is a much better blocker than Ballard and seems to have at least equal receiving abilities.

Hakeeeem88
09-14-2012, 11:22 AM
I think so.. I liked Ballard but I didnít consider him to be some great TE much like Kevin Boss now that heís no longer a Giant I donít expect him to as a good for another team. It was a combination of the system and Eli.

nycisgreat
09-14-2012, 11:45 AM

Bennett is definitely more physically talented that Ballard, but Ballard is more mentally tough. The reason I say that is. You'll notice Bennett always complaining for a flag when missing passes or blocks that are clearly on him. The dude was a huge cry baby when he played for the Cowboys. The Bennett has the talent to be a great TE, but he doesn't seem to have the right mind to pull it off. But I really hope that i am wrong.

giantsfan420
09-14-2012, 11:57 AM

yeah i think that will be the case and i also think it should help with the pass protection. I've noticed tho, that when bennett stays in to help pass protect, he has a delay route he can run. he picked up a nice 1rst down vs dallas on a play where he was helping block, his responsibility was negated and eli needed to find a target, Bennett ran a delay route where he basically just turned around and stood up in the flats, eli found him. i think we can utilize that when bennett stays in pass protection, like he can still be a check down target

greenca190
09-14-2012, 12:53 PM
you cant really make hat assumption....come on man. Obviously you are down on DD but thats over the top....

yeah, i'm through trying out guys at other positions. we all know how brandon jacobs fared when we moved him from running back, to tight end, to full back, to tackle, to guard.

nhpgiantsfan
09-14-2012, 01:37 PM
It's not a fair question after only 1 week. Ask this question at the half way point in the season.

appodictic
09-15-2012, 10:32 AM
Its too bad we dont have them both, I would have loved to watch a game where Ballard/Unicorn outperformed hernandez Gronk.... wait no that happened in the superbown Ballard Pascoe and Hynoski.

fansince69
09-15-2012, 01:24 PM
As some else stated....On paper it would appear that Bennet has superior skills both blocking and receiving......One thing I will say about Ballard is that he made the tough catch...the one late in the game,the one that seemed to be a difference maker....I saw him catch several of these...I don't recall off top of my head him dropping one.........I'd like to see how Bennett performs in those huge moments before I can say one is better than the other..............as much as I appreciate Ballard....Bennett SHOULD be an upgrade

RoanokeFan
09-15-2012, 01:48 PM
As some else stated....On paper it would appear that Bennet has superior skills both blocking and receiving......One thing I will say about Ballard is that he made the tough catch...the one late in the game,the one that seemed to be a difference maker....I saw him catch several of these...I don't recall off top of my head him dropping one.........I'd like to see how Bennett performs in those huge moments before I can say one is better than the other..............as much as I appreciate Ballard....Bennett SHOULD be an upgrade

I think Bennett will become an integral part of the passing game this season

BigBlue1971
09-15-2012, 02:06 PM
Ballard made some big catches for us and he wasnt a terrible blocker but hes not as talented as Bennet!

Bennett is bigger faster and more athletic! i think he will be a big contributor this season. besides he playing for a job here next season as well.

fansince69
09-15-2012, 02:07 PM
I think Bennett will become an integral part of the passing game this season

I think he will too....but I want him to prove it to me in a tough situation.....some players have that intangible....some do not....

BlueSanta
09-15-2012, 02:31 PM
All I see are people answering "is Bennett a better recieving TE then Ballard." That is ignoring the primary function of a TE in this offense. The Giant value blocking ability out of their TE more than most teams. In that regard, Bennett is absolutely better. Ballard was a marginal blocker at best.

derekunion28
09-15-2012, 02:52 PM
to early to tell just one opening sloppy game to compare to

CowboysSuck
09-15-2012, 03:46 PM
At this point, absolutely not. Ballard got us to the superbowl and helped us win the superbowl. Until Bennett does anything similar, this answer will remain no.

It really was amazing if you think about it, how many CLUTCH catches the guy made for us last season...unreal.

Neverend
09-15-2012, 04:26 PM
Not only better, I think he'll be a superior TE to Ballard when its all said and done at the end of the year

ballard isn't even remotely close to the athlete and blocker bennett is

BROADWAYSTORM
09-15-2012, 07:35 PM
The truth is Martellus has to do it for a whole season. But so far I am shocked at how good this guy is in the blocking department. Simply ridiculously outstanding. And then to be as athletic as he is. Eli will turn him into a player. I'd rather still have Ballard too though. Ballard could catch.

BlueBlooded1979
09-15-2012, 07:46 PM
Comparing their careers. Bennett is a better athlete, better receiver and better blocker. Ballard was a better football player. Given the changes of scenery and Ballards injury it will be a few years before we know what the end result is.