PDA

View Full Version : When your corners have their shoulders towards the WR it's impossible to play well

NYG4lifeNYK
09-17-2012, 04:42 AM
You know damn well Webster isn't doing this by preference... is Fewell that dumb that he can't recognize our receivers excel in man coverage when they can jam the receiver at the LOS?

C-Web constantly has his hips turned towards the QB...he's standing sideways looking at the QB instead of the WR......

Fewell is so baffling sometimes. Webster sucks in soft zone coverage....if we continue playing this 7 yard cushion bull**** Webster is going to get torched every game.

Wake up Fewell..............

Captain Chaos
09-17-2012, 05:04 AM
I didn't think Webster did that bad yesterday, Thought Tyron and Coe were the one that got torched. They just abused Tyron at the end of the game.

NYG4lifeNYK
09-17-2012, 11:08 AM
He didn't do that bad but he didn't play well because he wasn't put in a position to succeed and that's the problem.

Not sure how Fewell doesn't realize this.

RoanokeFan
09-17-2012, 11:13 AM
He didn't do that bad but he didn't play well because he wasn't put in a position to succeed and that's the problem. Not sure how Fewell doesn't realize this. Who is the secondary coach?

ryan12
09-17-2012, 11:27 AM
Who is the secondary coach?

is it still peter guinta

fansince69
09-17-2012, 11:30 AM
He didn't do that bad but he didn't play well because he wasn't put in a position to succeed and that's the problem.

Not sure how Fewell doesn't realize this.

This was a problem when Webster was young ....the defensive coordinator that proceeded Spags(cant recall his name) ran a soft cover and a lot of zone........Webster struggled...Once Spags took over and let him play more physical man to man....Webster became a good solid corner

I agree Webster does much better in an in your face type man to man

Diamondring
09-17-2012, 11:32 AM
is it still peter guintaWell he needs to go cause he is not teaching them right.

burier
09-17-2012, 11:34 AM
I haven't watched the game yet but based on week 1I'd say blaming Fewell is reach. I didn't feel Webster played very well well last season and it seems we may still be waiting on the bleeding to stop.

Kruunch
09-17-2012, 11:38 AM
This was a problem when Webster was young ....the defensive coordinator that proceeded Spags(cant recall his name) ran a soft cover and a lot of zone........Webster struggled...Once Spags took over and let him play more physical man to man....Webster became a good solid corner

I agree Webster does much better in an in your face type man to man

Fewell still learning his personnel.

Shame we have to reinvent the wheel with every DC.

NYG4lifeNYK
09-18-2012, 05:49 PM
I don't understand why our best corner is not being utilized to his best potential....

Fewell is having Webster play off anywhere from 5-8 yards off the receiver.... what? How can you give that much cushion and expect to shut someone down.........

slipknottin
09-18-2012, 05:56 PM
Webster played press against Dez and got torched for a 40 yard catch.

Lets not make excuses. Every corner in the league has to play press and play off. No corner plays press every snap.

NYG4lifeNYK
09-18-2012, 05:57 PM

Lets not make excuses. Every corner in the league has to play press and play off. No corner plays press every snap.

He simply had a bad game. He's playing soft coverage much more than he is press.

slipknottin
09-18-2012, 06:12 PM
He simply had a bad game. He's playing soft coverage much more than he is press.

The problem is you can not have it so they only play press. That completely eliminates a bunch of different defensive calls. C3, C4 both wont work with press.

And since we are only considering webster here, does everyone want Tyron to be playing press too? Or is Tyron only playing off? That limits the defense even more.

You just cant say this player will only play this, then try to build a defense around it. It just doesnt work, players who can do multiple things well are far more valuable.

slipknottin
09-18-2012, 06:37 PM
10:46 in the 3rd quarter, webster is up on vincent jackson, jackson runs past him, stops and catches a back shoulder for 22 yards.

So what are we going to argue, that webster should have been playing off there instead?

Or can we stop making silly excuses like "webster cant play with his shoulders towards a WR"

NYG4lifeNYK
09-18-2012, 06:39 PM
The problem is you can not have it so they only play press. That completely eliminates a bunch of different defensive calls. C3, C4 both wont work with press.

And since we are only considering webster here, does everyone want Tyron to be playing press too? Or is Tyron only playing off? That limits the defense even more.

You just cant say this player will only play this, then try to build a defense around it. It just doesnt work, players who can do multiple things well are far more valuable.

I don't want Tryon on the field period.

Hosley or Coe, anyone but Tryon.

Webster excels much more when he's able to be physical at the LOS.

NYG4lifeNYK
09-18-2012, 06:43 PM
10:46 in the 3rd quarter, webster is up on vincent jackson, jackson runs past him, stops and catches a back shoulder for 22 yards.

So what are we going to argue, that webster should have been playing off there instead?

Or can we stop making silly excuses like "webster cant play with his shoulders towards a WR"

That's one play, that's going to happen. Vincent Jackson is a very good receiver, albeit a little overrated. That's a hard play to defend.

I just rewatched it now.(I haven;t rewatched the entire game yet) but I checked that play out.

slipknottin
09-18-2012, 06:58 PM
I don't want Tryon on the field period.

Hosley or Coe, anyone but Tryon.

Webster excels much more when he's able to be physical at the LOS.

I completely disagree. Webster gets beat at the line consistently. You can find multiple instances of it every game.

Webster is best when hes in trail position with safety help. But that is just not possible to give him every play.

As for the "well thats one play"... Revis doesnt give up "one play". Getting flat out beat at the line cant happen any play.

wado1
09-18-2012, 06:58 PM
U do realize this is the same coaching staff and player that got us to the SB last year? The same guys that played damn well in the playoffs. Its 2 games, calm down.

TrueBlue@NYC
09-18-2012, 07:29 PM
Once again people automatically assume that b/c the defense got torched, they assume that the defense is playing "soft coverage" and too much zone, not enough pressing. Webby was playing a ton of press coverage at the start of the game and Jackson manhandled him for a couple of big catches.

Don't know why people here feel that coverages other than bump and run are bad. Heck, the bears have been one of the most consistently good defenses for the past decade playing cover 2 zone.

BTW everyone also keeps saying "doesn't fewell realize our CBs' work best in press!?" meanhile we have 1 CB playing right now that was playing last year. Hosley (rookie), Coe (IR last year), Tryon (IR); none of them played in the playoffs last year.

myles2424
09-18-2012, 08:34 PM
Am I mistaken or didn't we play this soft BS coverage last year & looked horrible? And not until the end of the season did Fewell adjust & we started kicking ***?

BeatYale
09-18-2012, 09:02 PM
The position coaches and Fewell are idiots. Meanwhile a fan on the Giants message board has figured out the key to success. Even Webster himself is a moron because he doesn't know that the only way he can defend against the pass is if he lines up on the LOS to jam the receiver in front of him!

It's really that simple.

Thanks for educating everyone NYG4lifeNYK! You're the man bro.

GameTime
09-18-2012, 09:14 PM
sometimes its crazy how its seems the players and coaches are clueless.........based on whats said here....

bearbryant
09-18-2012, 10:38 PM
This is why we will continue to give up the most yards to teams this year. Its the old bend but don't break attitude. Remember Bill Sheridan?Think its working? When you have safties like AR & KP who are being taught they must not let anyone get behind them, they don't give theior CB's any help at all. Holsey is the CB who is taking the most of the opportunities in front of him and being smart about it... so far. Damn, now I went and opened up my mouth!!!! Go Giants!

joemorrisforprez
09-19-2012, 12:47 AM
You know damn well Webster isn't doing this by preference... is Fewell that dumb that he can't recognize our receivers excel in man coverage when they can jam the receiver at the LOS?

C-Web constantly has his hips turned towards the QB...he's standing sideways looking at the QB instead of the WR......

Fewell is so baffling sometimes. Webster sucks in soft zone coverage....if we continue playing this 7 yard cushion bull**** Webster is going to get torched every game.

Wake up Fewell..............

I agree.....Webster is a press coverage guy.....sometimes Fewell pisses me off with his coverages.

When the pass rush ain't getting there, if you give the receivers a cushion to run free, Ogletree starts looking like Randy Moss in his prime.

RagTime Blue
09-19-2012, 01:45 AM
If the OP is saying that the Giants should utilize MORE press coverage, then maybe there's some merit to that. But if anyone is implying that only ONE look should be given by our corners, then that's just not feasible in the NFL. Teams will take advantage of that. You have to be able to do many things (including the four-letter word around here. . .ZONE) right, in order to keep these complex offenses guessing. Not only that, but you have to be able to disguise your coverages well, otherwise you're dead in the water also.

Marvelousmik
09-19-2012, 02:58 AM

I love it when people use logic and back it up with facts.

Every corner in the league has to play press and play off = Logic

Webster played press against Dez and got torched for a 40 yard catch = Facts

/thread

NYG4lifeNYK
09-19-2012, 04:46 AM
I love it when people use logic and back it up with facts.

Every corner in the league has to play press and play off = Logic

Webster played press against Dez and got torched for a 40 yard catch = Facts

/thread

He had a bad game. Is he not allowed to have a bad game?

If that's the case you must HATE Tuck...